Start by marking “Navy Wife” as Want to Read:
Navy Wife

Navy Wife (Navy #1)

3.87  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,022 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
Impulsive, wounded, vulnerable, Lindy Kyle was unprepared for a roommate like Rush Callaghan. Strong, sensitive and sexy, the temporarily dry-docked naval officer was everything she'd ever dreamed of in a man...in a husband.

But Rush placed duty to his country above all else. Though he and Lindy were swept away on a tide of passion, he was called back to sea. They say absen
Published February 15th 2013 by Harlequin Mira (first published 1988)

Susan
Aug 13, 2015 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: debbie-macomber
What a great story!!
R*beth*h Hart
Jan 02, 2010 R*beth*h Hart rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Had to hit the library feeling low on budget and needing something to read. Being a Navy Wife for 10 1/2 years this book has always caught my eye but I wasn't sure I wanted to rehash all those feelings. I finally gave in and am glad I did. She used several wives to research this book and I feel she covered both sides of the life very well. It is however dedicated to the backbone of the Navy though the wives and if you have ever lived the life you know what that entails. This is a great story abo ...more
Jonel Boyko
Nov 08, 2014 Jonel Boyko rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an intricate and well-crafted story. Macomber’s inviting writing style draws you in to this enjoyable story. This heartfelt story held my attention throughout. I couldn’t put it down. Ok. That’s a bit of a lie. I did put it down once because I was crying so hard I had to go grab a box of tissue. But other than that I read it from beginning to end in a single sitting. I loved how the author brings together the big events in life along with the little, everyday things that we rarely think abo ...more
Melanie Howard
Jan 22, 2014 Melanie Howard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good,I was a navy wife for 10 years. he was in the navy when I married him. I knew we would be apart. the first year he was gone 9 months. so I can tell relate to this on so many levels.
Belinda
Oct 21, 2007 Belinda rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A must read for all navy wives if you want a good laugh! The sheer absurdity of it makes you laugh out loud.
Debbie Heaton
Apr 20, 2014 Debbie Heaton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In Macomber’s romance novel, Lindy Kyle flees to Seattle hoping to mend a broken heart. But she is unprepared for her new roommate, Rush Callaghan. Strong, sensitive, and sexy as hell, the naval officer represents everything Lindy has ever believed a husband should be. But Rush is a navy man and country and service precedes personal relationships. While passion consumes them, Rush is reactivated and sent to sea leaving them with the question: Will their marriage survive a sea of separation?

Macom
 PuMbA's MoMmy*•.♥.•*
I don't know what it is with some romances but some are just outright cheesy. Sadly, Navy Wife didn't impress me. It was kind of repetetive at times. I don't know that I will continue to read the series.

I expected more feeling from this author. Her other works have brought out warm feelings out me but this one was just flat.
Kim Hampton
May 09, 2014 Kim Hampton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a huge supporter of our military men and women, and their families, so I really enjoyed this book. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the series. Note: if your husband or wife is currently deployed, or is deploying in the future, I recommend you DO NOT read this book.
Heidi
Aug 29, 2015 Heidi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely love this book. The whirlwind romance between Lindy and Rush is beautifully written. The ending left me in tears. There are a few loose strings to tie up in the next book, so off to the library I go.
Amber
Sep 07, 2007 Amber rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
It's was a sweet story. I also think the Debbie Macomber understands base living and you can see it in her writing. (navy series)
Emily Higgins
Dec 20, 2014 Emily Higgins rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, military
Lindy Kyle moves to Seattle to find a job and recover from a broken engagement. Lindy's brother, a submariner, is at sea. He told her she could use his apartment until she gets settled because both he and his roommate are at sea for several months. Rush Callahan's ship has mechanical problems shortly after putting out to sea. The ship returns to port and Rush finds a strange woman in his apartment. Lindy and Rush are attracted to one another after their initial confrontation. They marry after on ...more
Marie Buccellato
Jun 27, 2014 Marie Buccellato rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just started the Navy series & cant wait to read book #2....Another winner & I recommend anyone to read this
Linda
Mar 19, 2016 Linda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of Debbie's earlier books. I must admit that I like the books she's written over the last few years the best. I appreciate not being taken into the bedroom because I am much more interested in the characters development and the stories they live. The sexual activity, best implied, does detract from my enjoyment of a story. That said, I liked her characters and will probably read the rest of the series.
Lara
May 28, 2014 Lara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2014
Spicier than her Blossom Street or Promise, Texas books. A few inconsistencies, i.e. he lay her on the bed and then a few paragraphs later her dress falls to the floor and she lies down. The ending is rushed and Lindy changes her mind with very little explanation. Still, an enjoyable read and I will definitely check out the next book in the series.
Lisa
May 11, 2016 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a huge Debbie Macomber fan, but not one of my favourite books. It was an ok ready, and will probably read the rest of the series at some point. Prefer the Cedar Cove and Rose Harbour series.
T.M.
Nov 26, 2014 T.M. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a bad book. Mildly graphic in parts but that was to expected for this kind of novel. The technology of available to the military back then makes me appreciate what I had.
Zohrah
Oct 27, 2014 Zohrah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've always wonder about Americans and being married to someone working in military. Really good story.
Kobie
Nov 06, 2014 Kobie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 their love seemed a bit unrealistic, but it was fun to read a non-wartime military romance.
Andrea
Jan 23, 2015 Andrea rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Typical romance. Very early book by Macomber. She does much better now!
Minie
Apr 25, 2013 Minie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not my cup of tea.. Everything about this book was weak... From beginning to end. The misunderstanding of her being the roomie's gf to the brother coming back finding them in bed... To the misunderstanding about the letter mix up.. All very weak points.

I do give props to the mentions of how hard it could be the wife of service men.. I couldn't imagine what that's like to only see your spouse for only weeks in a year.. Tough. And kudos to them.

Overall.. Book isn't worth reading, there are good
Ines
Mar 07, 2010 Ines rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I try to avoid modern romance novels of this type in general, bug my curiosity got the better of me. The book actually had plot. Decent plot. I was impressed. The action sequences felt really forced at times, which was very disappointing, but this book is much better than one of the other books I've read by her. I'm just not a fan of the genre.
Glenda L
Impulsive, wounded and vulnerable, Lindy Kyle was unprepared for a roommate like Rush Callaghan. He was everything she'd ever dreamed of in a man. But Rush placed duty to his country above all else. He was called back to sea and Lindy almost couldn't handle it. Another of Debbie Macomber's, what might be a good series.
Robin DeJarnett
A nice little contemporary romance. Not the deepest characters, but easy to read. I wished the ending had been stretched out a bit - lots of stress on the anticipation, then a whole lot of external conflict at the end without the same attention to the internal resolutions.
Gisele
Apr 02, 2011 Gisele rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok! mmm es una historia corta, en lo personal la trama es demasiado rebuscada, no pasa de lo usual, y en algunas partes te emocionas un poco y en la siguiente decepciona! Es el #1 de una serie y estoy en dudas de continuar con las siguientes.
Stacy
You could tell this was an earlier book of hers. I think it's the only one ice read with sex scenes in it. I really didn't like Lindy when she started being demanding. Good story.
Becky
Jun 08, 2012 Becky rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I first picked this book up I wasn't sure if it would be any good. As I started reading though I found that I couldn't put it down. Plan to get the others in the series as well.
Carolyn Sisko
Janie
Apr 28, 2009 Janie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was a bit surprised at this author's early books......not in a bad way .....just different......alot more bedroom action :>)
Carol Essig
this was my first Macomber book; I enjoyed the love shared by the couple and the inner workings of the Navy. Sweet read
Gwynn
Apr 03, 2013 Gwynn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story and it continues with 4 other books to follow. Starting book 2 to see the next saga.
Debbie Macomber Novel Group September 2015 Group Read - Navy Wife 1 1 Aug 28, 2015 05:43PM
  • Christmas Kisses (Mackenzie Family, #4 & Those Manning Men, #5)
  • A Spring Bouquet (4-in-1)
  • Glory, Glory
  • The SEAL's Surprise Baby
  • Top Notch Surgeon, Pregnant Nurse
  • Baby Business
  • Woodrose Mountain (Hope's Crossing,#2)
  • The Apartment (Harlequin Romance Manga)
  • The Millionaire's Marriage
  • Do You Take This Rebel? (The Calamity Janes, #1)
  • Tiger Prince
  • Soldiers Of Fortune: Soldier Of Fortune / The Tender Stranger / Enamored
  • Just One Last Night
  • The Scarlet Thread & Leota's Garden
  • The Tree People
  • The Lady Lies (Lady Spies, #1)
  • Basic Training (Harlequin Blaze #238)
  • It Happened One Christmas
Debbie Macomber is a #1 New York Times bestselling author and one of today’s most popular writers with more than 200 million copies of her books in print worldwide. In her novels, Macomber brings to life compelling relationships that embrace family and enduring friendships, uplifting her readers with stories of connection and hope. Macomber’s novels have spent over 950 weeks on the New York Times ...more
More about Debbie Macomber...

Navy (6 books)