Start by marking “Nest” as Want to Read:
Nest

Nest

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  247 ratings  ·  87 reviews
In her picture book debut, artist Jorey Hurley opens our eyes to the wonders of the natural world and tells a universal story of family.

From birth, to first flight, to new friend, the first year of a bird’s life is full of activity and wonder. Artist Jorey Hurley pairs vivid, crisp artwork with simple, minimal text—often just one word per spread—to...more
Published February 4th 2014 by Simon & Schuster/Paula Wiseman Books (first published February 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Nest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nest

Courtnie
A very pretty picture book with visually pleasing illustrations that tell a gentle story of the robin and family through the year. The single word text that accompanies the pictures are somewhat poetic as you read through..."Hatch...Jump...fly...feast...surprise!..."

A nice break from monsters, dinosaurs and big trucks anyway.

(view spoiler)
Denis Vukosav
“Nest”, a debut children book written and illustrated by Jorey Hurley is story with very few words, the book that with its pictures tell about circle of life and family values shown through the story of several American Robins from their birth through all their life ending with the new generation building their own nest.

A young reader on the story beginning will find two robins and their egg; caring parents will take care of their descendant, teaching their baby how to fly.
And although life is f...more
Cathy
Although the view from my window is still a frozen, icy snowscape, yesterday I saw two brown robins flitting in and out of the bare branches on my forsythia bush. Too early, friends! I thought, but I remain hopeful that their appearance means spring will soon arrive.

Nest is the perfect book to lure young readers into noticing and appreciating this first sign of spring, the arrival of the American Robin. Matte, bold illustrations draw us immediately into the life cycle of a robin family from nest...more
Galena
Colorful and whimsical, Jorey paints the picture of a Robin's life with simple, clean text. It's a perfect for young readers who can be absorbed in the beautiful images and create stories of their own in the drawings. I am going to purchase multiple copies for my friends and nieces as I am sure this will grow to be a family favorite.
Joella www.cinjoella.com
Even though there is only one word on each page of this book, there is quite the story within the pages. This is a story of a couple of birds building a “nest” in a tree. Then the book goes on to tell just what else happens as the birds dedicate themselves to laying and nurturing the egg and chick in the nest. One of my favorite things to do in story time is to show a picture book that has little text but quite a good story shown in the illustrations. That way I can continually ask readers, “Wha...more
Diane
What a perfect book to welcome the return of the robins after our long, cold winter. In Nest, author and illustrator Jorey Hurley, has created a lovely book that outlines the year of a robin family, beginning with the parents, a nest and their egg. After the egg hatches a tiny, hungry baby bird is born, the parents feed it, teach it to fly and to fend for itself. As the seasons change, the illustrations beautifully reflect their changes. The baby bird then comes full circle one year later return...more
Samantha
The story of a family of Robins as told one word at a time. Each two page spread uses a single word to represent a moment in time in the Robin family, whether it be related to the season or a new period of growth.

Digital illustrations give the book a simple, uncluttered design. The author's note pulls the whole book together and reveals the author's inspiration for writing the book.

I highly recommend this nature read for sharing one-on-one with PreK-2.
Erin Reilly-Sanders
I thought this book was rather gorgeous. Ordinarily I'm not a huge fan of illustrations done digitally but the shapes used were just so... tender, if that makes sense. The matte paper also makes a huge difference here, fitting the soft feel produced by the simplicity of the elements in the pictures, the lack of outline, and gently muted colors. Despite the simplicity, the shapes are complex enough to produce a sense of realism rather than cartoon. Quite nice.
Amy Musser
This charming non-fiction book follows a year in the lives of a family of American Robins as they build a nest, have a baby, search for food, greet the morning with a song, and finally watch their offspring build a nest of its own. The illustrations, rendered in Photoshop, use clean lines and solid, soft colors. With just one word for each two page spread, this is a great book for a baby storytime. Encourage parents to talk about what’s going on in each illustration, as well as continuing the di...more
Christopher
"Nest" is beautifully illustrated and captures the different emotions and sensations a robin experiences when caring for their little ones. I enjoyed this until I came to the end where the author's note crams as many facts about robins that she could in one page. I've noticed this is a trend in children's picture books lately and it annoys me in many ways. I wish some of the facts about robins were incorporated into the actual story. The age group for the story and the age group for the author's...more
Pamela ☼where's my aspirin☼ Tee
NEST is a wonderful book to share with younger children. With only one word for every set of pages, a year in the life of a pair of robins is told through the art.

The book begins with one of the parents flying with a twig. (This page is facing the Title Page.) The next image is of mom and dad and a single blue egg. From there we get to see rain falling on a protective parent sitting on Junior, and then Junior having hatched, being fed, and then discovering the wide world around him/her.

We really...more
Karima
Perfect book to welcome spring. Aimed at the pre-school crowd, this beautifully illustrated book chronicles the first year of a bird's (a robin) life.
Each turn of the page consists of a two-page layout with only one word. The first and last word is (you guessed it ) "nest".

The author has an impressive background. She studied art at Princeton and design at FIT. She has designed textiles, had her own line of bags AND attended three years of law school. This is her first book. Hope there are more t...more
Tasha
This simple and elegant picture book takes a look at a year in the life of a robin. It begins with an egg in a nest and two proud parents. By the next page, the egg has hatched into one very hungry baby bird. As the tree flowers, the little bird is fed by its parents. Then comes the first flight as a speckled robin chick. There are berries on the tree to feast on and when autumn comes the green leaves have turned orange and yellow and started to fall. The last of the berries are eaten while snow...more
Linda
We’ve all been waiting for spring, and this is the perfect picture book to welcome it and to learn about robins’ lives. It does follow a robin family all year round, but shows the habits of building a nest, laying those beautiful eggs, hatching and raising their young. Each beautifully-colored page has only one word that helps to tell the story. This is a debut book by Jorey Hurley and could be called a “round-robin” tale!
Jess
I think I enjoyed the concept and pacing more than the actual artwork, which almost worked for me but felt a bit flat. I thought the style (rendered in Photoshop) worked better for the trees and grass than the birds themselves. For example, that nest on the cover draws me in, but the bird has no spark. One word per spread takes us through the seasons with a family of robins, full-circle from one nest to the next generation's nest.
Jill
With one word per page, this is a great example for the ecrr skill, read. Older preschoolers will be able to read some of these words for themselves while younger tots will appreciate the brevity of the text while enjoying the simple but beautiful illustrations. They can "read" the pictures. Readers of this book should always point to each word as they read to reinforce that the words we say have a written form as well.
Stella Fowler
With one word per 2 page spread, Jorey Hurely gives readers a chance to really pay attention to what is going on with the Robin family and the world around them. Surprisingly, that one word conveys an entire story on each page. A story that parents can encourage their children to tell them.

You're not left confused or wanting from one page to the next or at the end of the book.
Mary
What a delightful book! Follow a year (or more) in the life of a Robin family. Hurley uses few words to guide the reader. Not many are needed. The gentle illustrations in pleasing colors tell the story. Any young child and older reader will enjoy this book. I think it would be a perfect choice when looking for a book gift - I would give it as a "new baby" gift or to a new grandparent. Nest would be a great addition to any family home library.
Carol
Nest tells the life cycle story of a bird, beginning and ending with a nest. I am counting this as a wordless picture book as well as an easy reader. There is only one simple word per two-page spread. The wonderful illustrations do a great job of telling the story as well, so even if the words weren't present the reader could tell what was going on.
I loved reading this book with my toddler. She loved looking at the pictures with me and we were able to have a conversation about what was going on. I was able to point to the word and letters on each page to really show her the letters. It is a fantastic book for conversations about spring and birds and for early literacy. Love it!
Dawn
An early picture book about a family of Robin's and the changes they go through with the seasons. Each page is beautifully illustrated and contains one word to describe something significant on the page. I love this picture book to share with really small children when you're transitioning from board books to picture books!
Erin
Wonderful photoshop illustrations chronicle a year in the life of two birds. With one word per page, this book would be perfect for baby or toddler storytimes, though it could also work well with a slightly older group as well. My favorite thing about this book is how the seasons change in the illustrations.
Cemeread
Follow a robin family through a year starting with the nest. Each spread contains only one word with beautiful,simple,elegant illustrations from inside the tree, the tree top, or the ground. An end page by the author explains how the story came to be and provides more information about robin's lives.
Robin Rousu
I am probably not the most impartial reviewer for this one, but this book about robins is GORGEOUS! With one word per two-page spread, it follows a family of robins through a year, with lovely, simple illustrations that are charming without being boring. Highly recommended for ages 1.5-4.
Sandy Brehl
Exquisitely simple, in word and image, with depth of beauty and detail in each. The author note offers info for those who wish to share further details and/or answer the questions that will undoubtedly arise in the the discussions this will generate.
Great Books
Nest is a beautifully illustrated story of a pair of robins. They build their nest and care for their baby chick teaching it throughout the seasons. The story is told on each double page panel with a single word. We watch the robins as they nest, hatch, grow, sleep and explore. The illustrations are simplistic yet detailed with subtle tones that highlight the red of the robins. To complete the illustration of the circle of life the book begins and ends with the word nest. Reviewer 19
Melanie
A beautifully illustrated book with simple one-word-per-page text describing the nesting and hatching cycle of the American Robin. Observant readers will also notice the changing of the seasons shown by the illustrations of the trees.
Becky
The story of a robin family from the nest, to the egg, to the chick growing up over the course of the year. In the spring the "chick" builds a nest of its own.

This is a simple book, with one word per two page spread.
Clarissa
This book is beautifully illustrated. The text consists of one word on each page, so the book is suitable for reading to the very young, and can be read as a lead in to further discussion of the habits of birds.
Marathon County Public Library MCPL
Robins arrive in the spring, prepare a nest, raise their young throughout the seasons in this beautifully illustrated picture book that is perfect for sharing. With only one word on each page it reads like a poem. The pictures lend themselves to adult-child conversation beyond the words.

Katie Z. / Marathon County Public Library
Find this book in our library catalog.
  • Have You Heard the Nesting Bird?
  • What's Your Favorite Animal?
  • Some Bugs