Start by marking “Irish Linen (Nuala Anne McGrail, #10)” as Want to Read:
Irish Linen (Nuala Anne McGrail, #10)

Irish Linen (Nuala Anne McGrail #10)

The perils of wartime add special urgency to latest mysteries being investigated by Nuala Anne McGrail and her adoring husband, Dermot Coyne. More than a little fey, Nuala has a well-deserved reputation for getting to the bottom of even the most tangled intrigues, even when they may be taking place on the other side of the world.

Desmond Doolin, an idealistic young man from
Published February 6th 2007 by Forge Books (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Irish Linen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Irish Linen

Christy Baker
May 16, 2013 Christy Baker rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Generally I read Greeley's Blackie Ryan mysteries and while this is in a similar vein, it uses another of his ongoing characters, Nuala Anne McGrail, as the central character. As with many of Greeley's books, I found the characters fun if not terribly complex. What was more complex in this light mystery was the historical storyline of a diplomat from Ireland during WWII in Germany who falls in love while a plot is underway to kill Hitler. The real history of one Claus Graf von Stauffenberg, part ...more
Cherise
Jul 11, 2008 Cherise rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Irish Linen is not a bad book; it just lacks freshness, excitement. I love this series, but I would put this book as my least favorite. I had a very hard time reading Irish Linen, in fact I set it down twice in order to read, finish and review two other books; I have never done that before. My main problem with this book was while reading it I had a vague sense of Déjà vu.

Nuala and Dermot get 'hired' by some parents to find their missing adult son, Des, who has flown to Iraq. While investigatin
Heidi
Absolutely among the better of Greeley's Irish novels. With the added bonus that I was so bound up in the B-plot that Nuala's perfect life annoyed me much less than it usually does. (Rich, talented, famous, married to the sweetest guy on earth with four adorable children, and she's younger than me.)

I loved the Stauffenberg plot: wish that Bonhoeffer had been given his due, instead of just two quick references, but then, he's a Protestant... Adored the character of Timmy Pat. All Greeley's young
Kate  K. F.
Nov 21, 2015 Kate K. F. rated it really liked it
Another charming and interesting Nuala book, this one bringing together the Valkyrie plot to overthrow and kill Hitler and the violence in Iraq. One aspect I found uncomfortable in this one was all the mentions of rape in the World War II sections. I know they reflected the real fears of the era but at times they pulled me out of the story. A good book from a series I enjoy.
Colleen
Feb 10, 2016 Colleen rated it liked it
This was better than the last book in the series. Greeley always has parallel stories, one in modern time and one in history. I almost always like the modern story, can't say the same about the historical one. However, this time both were good. Again, these are good beach/plane reads.
Theresa
Jun 21, 2010 Theresa rated it really liked it
The tenth in the Nuala Anne McGrail mystery series, Nuala and her spear-carrying husband, Dermott Michael Coyne, must figure out what has happened to Desmond Doolin. Especially since his family is certain that he is dead and have no desire to find out what has happened to their son.

At the same time, they have found the memoirs of Timothy Patrick Clarke, an Irish Ambassador to Nazi Germany, who has befriended Claus Stauffenberg and become privy to an attempt on the life of Hitler.

Once again, I en
Jerra
May 04, 2009 Jerra rated it it was ok
For the most part, this classifies as light reading. I did get frustrated by the number of narrarators. In the midst of telling a story from the viewpoint of the husband of the heroine of the story, interspersed with a story from a journal written by a second man, the author put in a chapter in the voice of the heroine. I also felt that too many of the main male characters were too similar to each other. The historical story woven into the novel was interesting, and I enjoyed that, but once agai ...more
Rachel
Dec 21, 2012 Rachel rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
I've truly liked the books of this series. There are some mystical elements that are a bit strange, but the characters are interesting and have mostly good morals. All in all, these are good mysteries. They are written well also although I was surprised at the level of eroticism considering the series is by a priest.
In each book,the couple solves at least one older often ancient mystery and a current-time mystery that are slightly connected as well as work through a crisis in their relationship
Netty Cunningham
Apr 11, 2011 Netty Cunningham rated it liked it
I am a huge fan of Andrew Greely, but this was not my favorite book in the Nuala Anne series. I found it a bit boring at times. It bobbled back and forth between WWII and present day as they tried yet again to solve a mystery. It just didn't hold my attention.
Cknudson
Apr 13, 2009 Cknudson rated it it was amazing
Loved this book - includes story of a couple that meets in Germany after WWI and goes through WWII and ties it in a couple that is figuring out a mystery in modern day Chicago.

No need to see the Valkyrie if you read this story.
Carroll Straus
Mar 08, 2009 Carroll Straus rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Greely fans, WWii History buffs
This is the most contemporary of Greeley's books I have read. It was one of the best. I hope he recovers from his injuries!
Dorothy Baron
Sep 20, 2009 Dorothy Baron rated it really liked it
I learned of the opposition to Hitler in Germany existed in the mid 1930's and there was an active plot to stop him.
Joyce McKune
Jun 29, 2010 Joyce McKune rated it it was amazing
Lad from Chicago went to Iraq to study languages and family thought he was dead. Nuala didn't think so.
Apr 25, 2009 Jennifer rated it liked it
It was okay but I think I have had enough of this series for a while!
Linda Lahti milne
Dec 29, 2012 Linda Lahti milne rated it really liked it
I love the history Greeley adds to the story. Made it very interesting.
Dennis
Jun 09, 2008 Dennis rated it liked it
A nice comfortable, enjoyable read.
Bethany
superb!
Mary Frette
EXCELLENT
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2016
Corina
Corina marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2016
Erica Hicks
Erica Hicks marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2016
Arnetta
Arnetta marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
Theresa
Theresa marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
Danelle Cale
Danelle Cale marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2016
Michelle Hunn
Michelle Hunn marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2016
Michael Brown
Michael Brown rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2016
JOAN LOUISE BAUR
JOAN LOUISE BAUR rated it it was amazing
Aug 09, 2016
Lisa Kelley-musco
Lisa Kelley-musco rated it it was amazing
Aug 01, 2016
  • Boy Who Cried Abba
  • Black Collar (Uncommon Rebels Trilogy, #1)
  • Catholic for a Reason: Scripture and the Mystery of the Family of God
  • Twelve Months of Monastery Soups: International Favorites
  • Mystery Ride
  • Endangered (Summer Westin Mystery, #1)
  • Seeking God: The Way of St. Benedict
  • An Owl Too Many (Peter Shandy, #8)
  • The Bastard King (Norman Trilogy, #1)
  • Irish Blood
  • The Wheel of Surya (Surya Trilogy #1)
  • Little Paradise
  • The Queene's Christmas (Elizabeth I, #6)
  • As High as the Heavens
  • Tiare in Bloom: A Novel
  • Suture Self (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #17)
  • As the Waltz Was Ending
  • The Accidental Florist (Jane Jeffry, #16)
Andrew Greeley was a Roman Catholic priest, sociologist, journalist, and author of 50 best-selling novels and more than 100 works of nonfiction. For decades, Greeley entertained readers with such popular characters as the mystery-solving priest Blackie Ryan and the fey, amateur sleuth Nuala Anne McGrail. His books typically center on Irish-American Roman Catholics living or working in Chicago.

htt
More about Andrew M. Greeley...

Nuala Anne McGrail (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Irish Gold (Nuala Anne McGrail, #1)
  • Irish Lace (Nuala Anne McGrail, #2)
  • Irish Whiskey (Nuala Anne McGrail, #3)
  • Irish Mist (Nuala Anne McGrail, #4)
  • Irish Eyes (Nuala Anne McGrail, #5)
  • Irish Love (Nuala Anne McGrail, #6)
  • Irish Stew! (Nuala Anne McGrail, #7)
  • Irish Cream (Nuala Anne McGrail, #8)
  • Irish Crystal (Nuala Anne McGrail, #9)
  • Irish Tiger (Nuala Anne McGrail, #11)