Start by marking “Eleanor & Park” as Want to Read:

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

Eleanor & Park

4.14  ·  Rating Details  ·  393,769 Ratings  ·  41,661 Reviews
Grca badge winner
Eleanor is the new girl in town, and with her chaotic family life, her mismatched clothes and unruly red hair, she couldn't stick out more if she tried.

Park is the boy at the back of the bus. Black T-shirts, headphones, head in a book - he thinks he's made himself invisible. But not to Eleanor... never to Eleanor.

Slowly, steadily, through late-night conversations and an ev
Published February 1st 2013 by Orion

To ask other readers questions about Eleanor & Park, please sign up.

Kai Its totally "nothing ever ends" from the Watchmen. Bear with me here, why would Rainbow Rowell even mention the comic or that line from the comic…moreIts totally "nothing ever ends" from the Watchmen. Bear with me here, why would Rainbow Rowell even mention the comic or that line from the comic unless it was significant in some way? Plus, if it were that would be some crazy foreshadowing genuineness.
Also, reading comics together was the beginning of their relationship and a big part of their life together. Its simple, beautiful and would be pretty brilliant writing. (less)
Marina The Spanish translation actually says there were two words... And "I love you" has two words in Spanish ("te quiero").

Just my two (or three xD) cents.
The Fault in Our Stars by John GreenDivergent by Veronica RothIf I Stay by Gayle FormanThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsThe Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
Fave books
10th out of 230 books — 49 voters
Paper Towns by John GreenMockingjay by Suzanne CollinsEleanor & Park by Rainbow RowellInsurgent by Veronica RothThe Scorch Trials by James Dashner
YA Novels Becoming Movies in 2015
3rd out of 19 books — 18 voters

More lists with this book...

Katrina Passick Lumsden
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

If you've experienced that first love - that heart-wringing, soul-squeezing, crush-the-air-out-of-your-lungs-whenever-you're-apart first love - this book will bitch slap your feels all to hell.

I love it. I love its warmth and its vibrancy, its heartache and its pain, its humor, its meanness, the ugliness, the beauty, the crying, the laughter, the sarcasm. I love Eleanor and I love Park, and I love that there's still a tiny chance for them...and for everyone whose first love was torn away. Ev
Steph Sinclair
Should I break out in song and dance to "Baa, Baa, Black Sheep?" One lonely star. I'm just as surprised as you are, considering I just KNEW going into Eleanor & Park that I would love it, love it, love it. What reason would I have to believe otherwise? Almost all of my friends loved this book and have sworn fealty to the Goddess of Feels and Might, Rainbow Rowell. And I get it because she is a pretty awesome person and I think she is totally lovely. So trust me when I say I REALLY wanted to ...more
Cinda
Dec 04, 2013 Cinda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, diverse
I've often said that nobody should write for teens who doesn't remember what it was like to be one. Rainbow Rowell remembers, and has captured it beautifully in this book.
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
HOLY BATMAN THAT ENDING. I'M A MESS. THAT HURT, BUT IT DIDN'T AT THE SAME TIME. WHAT IS THIS FEELING EVEN? NYEAAHHH.
Emily May
Edit 09/13: I said a while ago when I read this book that it wasn't exactly my thing. But I really need to say something about the pathetic and narrow-minded people who caused so much trouble for the author (and others) and completely misrepresented this book. And I also want to say that I love everything Ms Rowell says in response to what has happened (that you can read in the link above). I suddenly want to tell everyone I know to read Eleanor & Park. And I fucking hate censorship.

.......
Duchess Nicole

READ THIS QUOTE, MY ROMANTIC HEARTED FOOLS...READ IT AND LET YOUR HEART GO PITTER PAT...
`*~`*~`*~`*~`*~`*~`*~`*~`*~`*~`*~`*~`*~`*~`*~`*~
““I don't like you, Park," she said, sounding for a second like she actually meant it. "I..." - her voice nearly disappeared - "think I live for you."
He closed his eyes and pressed his head back into his pillow.
"I don't think I even breathe when we're not together," she whispered. "Which means, when I see you on Monday morning, it's been like sixty hours since
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
I fully admit that I'm a sucky book reviewer. This book for me was so personal that this review is just for me.
Eleanor is just that girl. The weird one that people pick on. Who knows exactly why? She doesn't stand up for herself, she doesn't fight back. I was that girl. This is me my 10th grade year.
 photo 023_zps56102e5a.jpg

If this book had been around then I would have completely worn the pages out. As it is I feel like highlighting and just re-reading the thing until it falls apart.
Talking about Romeo and Juliet Ele
karen
Apr 29, 2015 karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: why-yes-i-ya
years after everyone else, i have finally read this book. and now i'm all caught up on the zeitgeist! phew. and damn, now i understand why rainbow rowell is so beloved. i mean, i read Fangirl and thought it was excellent, but this one, while it is not as good as Fangirl, does a couple of things so freaking well that it gave me all the swoons and the swirls.

rainbow rowell has this ability to tap into the teenage experience that is a little spooky. and while john green gets all the credit for bei
Kat O'Keeffe
Apr 10, 2013 Kat O'Keeffe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
AMAZING BOOK! Heartwarming and heartbreaking all at the same time! I wasn't expecting to care so much about these characters and their relationship but I was completely caught up in this story. It's told in 3rd-person past tense, which I sometimes have trouble connecting with, but not so in this case! I feel like I really know both Eleanor and Park, and I love them both separately but I especially love them together. It seemed like their relationship shouldn't work, but it does, so well. I was g ...more
Etnik
description

You can find the full review and more about this book on my blog!

____________________________________________
“Eleanor was right. She never looked nice.She looked like art, and art wasn't supposed to look nice; it was supposed to make you feel something.”

____________________________________________

5 PERFECT STARS!

You can find the full review and more about this book on my blog!

I never read contemporary books.I have read like 4 maybe till now and didn't really like them.Anyway I decided to
Ariel
May 07, 2014 Ariel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have so many thoughts and ideas and things I want to discuss, and I can't possible put them all here, but here are some of my main thinkings:

1) PARENTS: Parent's are such an integral part of teenage life - they are the reason you can do things, the reason you can't do things, the reason you have money, etc. This book had parents that were just as important, interesting, and developed as the main characters and I so appreciated that. I especially enjoyed Park's parents: they were so complex and
Kat Stark
Nov 23, 2015 Kat Stark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

My mind is just...wow...that ending was a sucker punch to the jaw. I can't even...I feel like this:

Going into this novel was great. I loved how the two main characters looked like the weirdest couple ever. I loved how realistic Rowell portrays how their relationship builds. I loved the honesty and even though it was very bittersweet, it's very true to reality.

First off, can I just say that the references were BOMBTASTIC in this book:
"Maybe Park had paralyzed her with his ninja magic, his Vulcan
Feb 05, 2016 Laura rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This review originally appeared on Clear Eyes, Full Shelves.

*Reviewer's Note (added 2/5/2016)*
Please be aware that I have turned off all notifications for this review and do not check or respond to comments. It's not that I don't like y'all; it's just that I'd rather spend my time talking about books that I actually, ya know, like.

I have thought about Eleanor & Park everyday since I read it two months ago.

That’s not a compliment.

In some respects, my attitude is perhaps not terribly fair beca
caren

This book was everything I've been searching for since Anna and the French Kiss. It gave me that melty, clenchy feeling in my chest, the warm fuzzies in my stomach. I was basically a mess throughout the entire thing. These two characters had my emotions going up and down like someone was beating on them with one of those sledgehammers at a carnival, trying to get them to climb to the top of that lit up pole again and again. And every time I thought they couldn't go any higher, Park would do or s
Christy
5 stars!

photo 20824a81-2911-4d85-b4f2-28c544caf86c_zps7rxmlkxt.jpg
“You’re my favorite person of all time.”

Eleanor & Park… this has been sitting on my kindle for a year. HOW has this been just sitting on my kindle for a year??? First off, I’m going to say if you have this book, don’t let it just sit on your kindle. Read it, listen to it, whatever. Just make sure you don’t overlook this one. It’s a book that deserves to be read. These are some of the most special characters and Rainbow Rowell writes some of the best YA ever. So read the book.

photo 27142517-5e3f-4c00-ba79-533cc321a23d_zps8rkgq7fr.jpg

E
Tiffany
I know I said I wasn't going to do a review, because I feel that my status updates are pretty telling enough, but...

First, I just don't see Park's parents as a good example of a couple that "made it" against all odds, as John Green implies. There is NOTHING in this book about how or why they fell in love. As an Asian woman, I look at it through a more disbelieving lens. It sounds like a white man "saving" an Asian woman from her "poor," "lower-rung," "terrible" life. She is basically forced to a
Diane
Jun 23, 2015 Diane rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
I need to state right away that YA is not one of my favorite genres: I hated the Twilight books, I'm not a fan of paranormal romance and I've been avoiding the flood of YA dystopian novels. I want this to be clear because if you like YA, than my negative reaction maybe won't apply to you. You may love this book, as many others already have.

I wanted to read this novel because it received several glowing reviews and it was being compared to John Green's The Fault in Our Stars, which I really liked
Kristen
Oh, man. This book made me feel ALL THE EMOTIONS! I ugly-cried at least five times while reading it. And, I can't lie, I didn't actually want to read it at all. It was one of those books I kept hearing buzz about, and words like "gritty" and "romance" and "abuse" and it just didn't sound like my kind of book at all. I also was a little annoyed that it was set in the 80's--what teen today is really interested in reading books about the 80's? But somehow it all came together for me. I loved Eleano ...more
Tabetha
Nov 01, 2015 Tabetha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites-recent
I thought this was going to be a lighthearted contemporary by Rainbow Rowell...I never even glanced at the description, but I soon found there were deeper, sometimes darker subjects layered in with the sweetest, most passionate love story between sixteen year olds Eleanor and Park, who each felt they did not fit into the typical normal high school student mold. It is set in Omaha, Nebraska in 1986, and I really enjoyed the mid-80's references and details contained throughout the book...took me b ...more
Brandi
Jul 24, 2014 Brandi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
description

I absolutely adored this book! I don't really know what else to say. It was such a wonderful experience. Eleanor and Park have become a part of me, I was completely wrapped up in their story. Their voices are so real and honest. I love them. Plain and Simple. My only compliant is that I wanted more.

“I don’t like you, Park. Sometimes I think I live for you”

Highly recommend this one!!
Lotte
Eleanor and Park are my literary OTP. Screw Romeo and Juliet. Or Anastasia and Christian Grey. Rainbow Rowell is able to make me feel way more about a scene with two characters holding hands, than any other author with an explicit sex scene ever could.
Megan • Reading Books Like a Boss

See more reviews like this at Reading Books Like a Boss

If I could use one word to describe this story, it would be "adorable". Eleanor and Park fell in love on the bus listening to '80's music and reading comic books. Can it get any cuter than that? I submit that it cannot! Told in alternating points-of-view, this story will grab onto you and not let you go until the ending.

Eleanor is the new girl in school. She describes herself as chubby and plain. After her mother's abusive husband kicked E
Darth J
Mar 06, 2015 Darth J rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After reading Fangirl and liking it, I decided to pick up Eleanor and Park. I ordered a used copy and somehow ended up with an autographed first edition.

I was reading this on the heels of another book set in the 80’s, After Last Call, so I was completely in the zone for that decade. While there are plenty of references to the times in this novel, I feel like the story is a bit timeless. There could be a connection to a certain set of star-crossed lovers made here, but I think it’s safe to say t

This book first appeared on my radar when I read that a group of parents had tried to ban the book in a Minnesota high school district. If there's any sure way to get me interested in a book, create controversy over it...

I started this book four or five times before I got into it, because I felt certain this was going to be a boring pleasant little high school romance and not much more. What could possibly be controversial about it?!

Apparently, the controversy was over the amount of swe
Grace (LovingDemBooks)
Buy this book HERE on Amazon or buy this book HERE on BookDepository with FREE WORLDWIDE SHIIPPING

I just finished reading this title. Full review to come. THAT ENDING. WHAT. HOW. CAN. YOU. WHAT. WHY. HELP. PLEASE. I'M DYING HERE.

My rating system: (I do use half stars.)
5 - I do not use the 5 star. Not because a book might not be worthy, but because a book is never perfect.
4 - I loved it! There weren't too many flaws, and I had no trouble getting through it. (A 4 star rating is the highest ra
Amy (Foxy)
Price drop....$.3.99 ->http://amzn.to/1klU2l1 (50%)
7/17/2014

First off I need to thank,Bren, for introducing this book to me. Otherwise I would have never even known it existed. Great find, Bren!

description

Not your typical highschool romance novel.
Eleanor doesn't fit the Barbie doll type. She has crazy red hair, dresses funky and isn't skinny.

Park is half Korean (the only Asian kid in the state of Nebraska). He's loves comic books and alternative music.

They are both sophomores in highschool trying to
Thomas

I felt like I found the fountain of youth with Eleanor & Park, but at the same time, it made me feel so darn old. Here's a monologue of my thoughts while reading pages 70-71 (which can be shifted around just a little bit to apply to the rest of the book):

Me: Oh my gosh, Park feels bad for Eleanor, that's so sweet.
Me: Aw, Eleanor doesn't want to talk to Park about her abusive stepfather. That's so sweet.
Me: Park is holding Eleanor's scarf and she doesn't want him to look up because h
Sarah Churchill
Heartwarming and heartbreaking, I honestly wasn't expecting to care about these characters and their relationship as much as I did. I didn't really know what to expect, and I've only ever read one other RR book (Fangirl) but I expected great writing and some very real characters. I got a lot more; bullying, love, hate, security, fear, loving relationships, toxic relationships... one of the best contemporary novels I've read.
Theresa
Ah, this book is even better the second time around! There's nothing like the power of first love. "Eleanor & Park" is being made into a movie. Rainbow Rowell is writing the screenplay for the film. Yay! Anyway, this book makes my heart ache, bleed, yearn, and very, very happy. Some Young Adult novels about high school romance can be downright corny and embarrassing. That isn't the case with "Eleanor & Park". This story of two people in love who couldn't be more different is simply adora ...more
MLE
Jul 07, 2014 MLE rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: yad
I really wanted to like this book. The premise seemed interesting, and I liked the concept of the chracters, but something kept me from really enjoying it. This book wasn't bad per say, but I found myself unable to connect with it in the way I wished I had been able to.

The characters felt a bit flat to me. They were quirky on the surface, but other than their interest in comics, and edgier bands they felt shallow as people. I was especially disappointed by Eleanor. I understand why she acts the
  • The Lucy Variations
  • Yaqui Delgado Wants to Kick Your Ass
  • The Carnival at Bray
  • Gabi, a Girl in Pieces
  • Five, Six, Seven, Nate!
  • Colin Fischer
  •  Out of Nowhere
  • Picture Me Gone
  • Winger (Winger, #1)
4208569
Rainbow Rowell writes books. Sometimes she writes about adults (ATTACHMENTS and LANDLINE). Sometimes she writes about teenagers (ELEANOR & PARK and FANGIRL). But she always writes about people who talk a lot. And people who feel like they're screwing up. And people who fall in love.

When she's not writing, Rainbow is reading comic books, planning Disney World trips and arguing about things that
More about Rainbow Rowell...

“Eleanor was right. She never looked nice. She looked like art, and art wasn't supposed to look nice; it was supposed to make you feel something.” 5982 likes
“Holding Eleanor's hand was like holding a butterfly. Or a heartbeat. Like holding something complete, and completely alive.” 2167 likes