Start by marking “Digestive Health with Real Food: A Practical Guide to an Anti-Inflammatory, Low-Irritant, Nutrient Dense Diet for IBS & Other Digestive Issues” as Want to Read:

Health begins in the gut. In addition to digestive disorders, many other health problems can stem from damage to your intestines, including migraines, skin problems, autoimmune conditions, and weight abnormalities, so tackling your digestion first is smart if you want to maximize your chances of obtaining optimal health. Beyond simply managing your symptoms, Digestive Heal ...more
Published June 1st 2013 by Paleo Media Group (first published May 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Digestive Health with Real Food, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Digestive Health with Real Food

Amy
Jul 14, 2013 Amy rated it really liked it
This book combines principles from the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, GAPS, Autoimmune Paleo, Low-FODMAP and SIBO/Candida diets into a plan that covers pretty much every base for your digestive health. It recommends healthy fats, probiotics and fermented foods, and a plan for reintroducing fruits, veggies, nuts and seeds to find the best diet for you. It is pretty restrictive for the first 3-4 weeks, so I can't see the average Joe picking up this book and diving in. Even for the average IBS patient ...more
Cinda
Jun 10, 2013 Cinda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paleo
The most comprehensive book I've seen on digestive health. I'd love to see doctors read this and become more educated for their patients, but the truth is, we have to take our health into our own hands. It's why our family has been using Young Living essential oils. Aglaee's recipes are simple (expected on an elimination diet). Her Carrot Treat is like dessert! I'm looking forward to trying the Lemon Butter Sauce, Coconut Oatmeal, and Avocado Mouse.
Smi4ever2
Nov 22, 2016 Smi4ever2 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. A lot of helpful information about our digestive system, the foods we eat and the supplements we take. Pros and cons in detail.
Happy-wanderer
Feb 19, 2017 Happy-wanderer rated it really liked it
It was good but didn't solve my entire proud, although gut issues are admittedly complex and hard to solve so it's not the book's problem. This book is a great resource for those wanting to know more about the complexities of the G.I. tract, and the wider scope of food sensitivities. Also the recipes are pretty good in this book.
Josh
Sep 06, 2014 Josh rated it really liked it
I read the companion cookbook before this book. Unsure whether overlap exists, a couple recipes caught my attention here: Muffins of carrot and muffins of salmon.

The chapter titles are: Introduction -- My story -- The basics of digestion -- When digestion goes wrong -- Diet to the rescue! -- Nourishing foods -- Design your own diet -- Supplements -- The mind-body connection -- Living life-- eating out and traveling! -- Troubleshooting -- Recipes -- Meal plans.

As a bonus, the reference are divide
Lisa
Feb 25, 2015 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food-and-health
Comprehensive information for anyone interested in food sensitivities, an elimination diet, or healing their digestive system, coming from a registered dietitian who not only is open to something beyond the conventional dietary wisdom, but has personal experience with digestive issues, and has researched different approaches to solving them herself. Includes many helpful charts and forms. If it has one fault, the page layouts could have been a little prettier. I especially liked the recipes, man ...more
Jennie
Mar 26, 2014 Jennie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
From making your own coconut milk to preserving herbs this book is packed with great information and attractive pictures.

As always, I stress a visit to your local GP before adopting any diet or a change in diet just in case.

Medication, IBS, Crohn's disease, celiac disease, all affect your digestive system and require special diets. There are a few meat dishes but overall just a flip through this book made me hungry.
It boasts 100+ recipes all grain, gluten and allergen free.

Easy to find local ing
Kara
This book was amazing. It helped me to understand how all the different foods in my diet may be affecting my digestive health and autoimmune symptoms. I've decided to implement the elimination diet she describes in the book, and almost a month in, it's wonderful to feel like I'm regaining my health. I am actually rereading the book right now, taking detailed notes, so that I can make sure I'm proceeding with my diet in health in the smartest way possible. Five stars, highly recommended to anyone ...more
Ariane
Sep 15, 2014 Ariane rated it liked it
Shelves: did-not-finish
Didn't actually finish this yet - I'm not able to follow the instructions because of the severity of my digestive issues, but hope to pick it back up again sometime down the road... It's a very informative book with a lot of detail, but like many other paleo books it's been impossible for me to actually follow the prescribed diet because of the specific issues and restrictions I'm dealing with (specifically severe intolerance of fiber and complex carbs).
Julie
Feb 24, 2014 Julie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anyone looking to eat healthier, or who has digestive problems....READ THIS BOOK!!! This is THE most comprehensive informative book I have ever read. So many things I didn't know I didn't know! It's a lot of information (and you might not agree with all of it), but SOO informative. I don't know what else to say!
Alex Strick van Linschoten
An excellent, broad introduction to elimination diets. Also very glad the author doesn't try to foist 10,000 supplements on the reader; instead, real food is emphasized. Worth reading alongside your other illness-specific books.
Rebecca
It was pretty factual and had some good ideas. I like the start from scratch method when it comes to your diet, so that you can know what your body will tolerate but I do not really buy the Paleo diet. I think that there is nothing wrong with eating grains.
Carol
Apr 23, 2016 Carol rated it it was amazing
This book was right in line with what I was hearing from my doctor, and my gut. But, it allowed me to keep referring back to the things where I had questions about supplements, diet, conditions, etc. Great information and easy to understand.
Rebekka Steg
Jul 10, 2015 Rebekka Steg rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, health, 2015
The most thorough description and investigation of the digestive system, how it can be affected and how it in turn affects our health. Highly recommended to anyone dealing with any kind of health issues, or for those who just want a better understanding of their digestive health.
Jenna
Aug 23, 2014 Jenna rated it really liked it
Lots of information, but the size o fthe book had me thinking cookbook, not research paper.
Justin
Oct 19, 2016 Justin rated it really liked it
Shelves: health, gut, diet
A comprehensive coverage of many different aspects of digestive health.
I didn't learn much new, but I think someone newer to digestive health could find out a great deal from this one resource
Krista
Oct 18, 2015 Krista rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Probaly one of the best books I read about digestion and stomach issues which I recently was diagnosed with.
Robin Cole
Robin Cole rated it liked it
May 03, 2016
Martha Smith
Martha Smith rated it it was amazing
Sep 03, 2014
sara frances
sara frances rated it really liked it
Dec 19, 2013
Rooze Dovance
Rooze Dovance rated it liked it
May 31, 2014
Tammy Brown
Tammy Brown rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2016
Sally
Sally rated it it was ok
Feb 02, 2016
Courtney Hatch
Best digestive health book. Period.
Jon
Jon rated it it was amazing
Oct 15, 2016
Stana Smith
Stana Smith rated it it was amazing
Feb 24, 2016
Tina Crabtree
Tina Crabtree rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2014
Sharon Eller
Sharon Eller rated it liked it
Dec 18, 2014
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
May 17, 2017
Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Sep 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Gather, the Art of Paleo Entertaining
  • The Paleo Approach: Reverse Autoimmune Disease and Heal Your Body
  • Eat the Yolks
  • Primal Connection: Follow Your Genetic Blueprint to Health & Happiness (Sustainable Agriculture)
  • Jennifer's Way: My Journey with Celiac Disease--What Doctors Don't Tell You and How You Can Learn to Live Again
  • Sexy by Nature: The Whole Foods Solution to Radiant Health, Life-Long Sex Appeal, and Soaring Confidence
  • Food to Live By: The Earthbound Farm Organic Cookbook
  • Paleo Comfort Foods: Homestyle Cooking for a Gluten-Free Kitchen
  • The Ultimate Guide to Homesteading: An Encyclopedia of Independent Living
  • Dangerous Grains: The Devastating Truth About Wheat and Gluten, and How to Restore Your Health
  • Real Food for Mother and Baby: The Fertility Diet, Eating for Two, and Baby's First Foods
  • Against All Grain: Delectable Paleo Recipes to Eat Well & Feel Great
  • The Gluten Connection: How Gluten Sensitivity May Be Sabotaging Your Health - And What You Can Do to Take Control Now
  • Cows Save the Planet: And Other Improbable Ways of Restoring Soil to Heal the Earth
  • Beautiful Babies: Nutrition for Fertility, Pregnancy, Breastfeeding, and Baby's First Food
  • The Paleo Kitchen: Finding Primal Joy in Modern Cooking
  • Practical Paleo: A Customized Approach to Health and a Whole-Foods Lifestyle
  • The Autoimmune Paleo Cookbook: An Allergen-Free Approach To Managing Chronic Illness
6919067
Aglaée is a Canadian registered dietitian and has completed a Bachelor's and a Master's degree in Nutrition at Laval University (Québec City, Canada). She worked as a diabetes educator in Ottawa for over 3 years before realizing that the training she received wasn't allowing her to help people as much as she had hoped. She then decided to open her mind to other schools of thought and initiated an ...more
More about Aglaée Jacob...

“If it’s a plant, eat it. If it was made in a plant, don’t.” – Michael Pollan” 0 likes
“Elimination Phase” 0 likes