A Horse for Angel

A Horse for Angel

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  114 ratings  ·  33 reviews
Sometimes when things are broken you can't fix them on your own - no matter how hard you try. When Nell is sent to stay with distant family, she packs a suitcase full of secrets. A chance encounter with a wild horse draws Nell to Angel - a mysterious, troubled girl who is hiding secrets of her own. Both girls must learn to trust each other, if they are to save a hundred ho...more
Published January 1st 2013 by HarperCollins Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about A Horse for Angel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Horse for Angel

Kate
Halfway through reading this short children's book, I lost it among the stacks and stacks of books in my apartment for about four weeks and wasn't really in any hurry to find and finish it. I think that says a lot about the kind of book it is - I enjoyed it, certainly, and I think the target audience will too. But in the end, the main character Nell failed to captivate me. I finished the book mostly to find out the resolution of her relationship with Angel, and to tie up the music box storyline,...more
Betsy
This is really a bit of magical realism in the guise of realistic fiction. A book more about a young girl starting to "find herself" and her growing friendship with another lonely girl than it is about horses. It didn't grab me, and I'm trying to figure out why. Sometimes the writing felt slow, the pacing off a touch. I also got annoyed with the vernacular/bad grammar. Not a bad book, just not awesome.
Gaby
Eleven-year-old Nell has a very busy schedule during the school year with all her after school activities. There's drama club, math tutor, and swimming club to start. When she gets home, it seems like her mother is always working or on the phone or focused on something else. Nell was looking forward to spending her two weeks of Spring Break with her Nana just playing cards, talking, watching videos and tv. But a medical emergency causes a change of plan and Nell readies herself to spend her week...more
Linnae
A story of an unlikely friendship, with just a bit of magical realism thrown in.

Nell is sent to live with her cousins for the summer who she barely knows. Once there, she is surprised by the freedom she experiences at the farm and how much she comes to care for the people, particularly Angel--a rebellious runaway who loves horses and Rita--a grieving widow who might be the only one who cares about Angel. That is, until Nell comes along.

It was okay, I just didn't connect with the characters on...more
Rosalie
Nell has to spend her spring vacation on a farm with her aunt and 2 young cousins she has never met. All she brings with her is 2 suitcases; one with clothes and one with the parts to an old music box with 16 small painted horses that had once belonged to her father. Nell plans on putting the music box back together during her 2 week stay. Then she meets Angel, a strange runaway, who is the same age as Nell. Angel steals the suitcase with the music box and Nell is trying to find the mysterious g...more
Ann Marie
I believe this is the second book by Sarah Lean I have read and once again she has hit her mark...it is an easy flowing read...I would recommend it for a middle school summer reading list...I would place it more in the girl read list as it is feminine...a story of getting to know yourself...Nell needs to learn how to trust herself...Angel needs to learn to trust others...Rita needs to see things past her husbands death and the mother needs to release her grip and confront the fact that her daugh...more
Olive
Sep 18, 2014 Olive rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who love horses and mysteries
Recommended to Olive by: A good friend
This book is about a girl named Nell. Nell loves to visit her loving nanna where she can play cards and watch TV all day. Nells mother has had to work ever since something happened to her dad. Every year Nells mother goes on a business trip and Nell gets to visit her fun loving nanna. Nells nanna can't watch Nell this year because she has had medical issues. When Nells mother tells her she will be going to the country with her aunt and two younger cousins, Gem and Alfie, she does not want to le...more
Emily
Serendipity. This books is the best example of this word. As a book reviewer and school librarian, it has become all too easy for me to look at the cover of books and write them off immediately as juvenile crap. Clues that books are not worth my time: animals and pastel covers. I didn't pick this book to read at my last review group meeting. I always get excited to see what my colleagues choose for me when I miss a meeting. Well, Missy Naseman Rivera, you did a great job. I loved this story abou...more
Rureader
My teacher went to a conference where lots of authors spoke. After that, they gave her books that hadn't been published yet. We had a project and we each got one of the books (some of the books were from other years, so they were already published.) Anyways, I read the book and really liked it, even though it is for 3rd & 4th graders, because the text is big and there is easy vocabulary. Wrote a review and got an A. Overall, loved this book.
Stephanie A.
Angel was too much of a smug brat to stand, or this would have been 4 stars for my personal enjoyment. As it is, it comes A+++ recommended for children under 12 for the lovely setting, the sweetness of the storyline, the fact that Angel dashes around on a beautiful Gypsy Vanner (the most excellent horse breed to highlight), the mystique of the mechanical carousel (I don't even know what it looks like and I want one), the ending, and how every character other than Angel is lovely.
Becky
Nell is being brought up alone by her mother after her father ran off to the United States when she was a small child. She feels like her mother sends her to lots of after school activities just as a form of childcare.

She is looking forward to spending the Easter holidays with her grandmother but at the last minute the plans change and instead she has to go off into the countryside to stay with an aunt she barely knows and 2 young cousins. They live on a small holding and everything is alien to...more
Mary
I thought this was going to be a book about a hundred horses. Little did I know that I would be reading about a new family being created, an existing family being reborn, and a distant family becoming close. That is really what this book is about -- families. And how important it is that every member of the family be heard.
Megan G
Jul 30, 2014 Megan G rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: tweens and under
this book is my favorite book that I have read so far[ and I have read lots of books] it is so amazing and magical. I love how it is a book where it is like real life then all of a sudden it is magical.
Leigh Anne Eck
This book left me with a breathless moment just like A Dog Called Homeless. It is a book about family and belonging and wondering why things happen.
Jacqui
A glowing tale of moonlight, magic and mystery; and of the secrets that bring solitary Nell and will-o-the-wisp Angel together.
Zalea.newman
I think this was a great book and I would recommend it to others. I wont say what happened but you need to read this great book.
Susie Tweed
Wonderful story about two girls, unlikely friends, who help each other discover who they really are and how they can become 'whole.'
Niki
"A Hundred Horses" is a simple, enjoyable story by Sarah Lean. The main character, Nell, is unexpectedly sent to spent two weeks with her aunt and cousins that she has never met on their farm. Nell is prepared to find the time unenjoyable, but is pleasantly surprised when she finds herself with new friends - whether they are adults, children, family or animals! Lean incorporates some life lessons through the storyline and her interesting characters. I would recommend "A Hundred Horses" to any yo...more
Rosie
A good book it's about a little girl who lost a case with something important in it
Amy
Not at all what I was expecting, but an enjoyable read all the same.
Aug 09, 2014 Emily rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: horse lovers
Cute story! Literally read it all in one day.
Elizabeth
I love this book! Sarah Lean is a brilliant author.
Lynn
By finding out about the unusual girl Angel, Nell finds out more about herself.
Sandra
i usually enjoy youngish teen books. this one was good, not the best i've ever read but it did keep me reading because it made me curious about the girls, nell and angel, and their relationship and how the horses fit into the story. was hoping for more about the horses but, the friendship angle was good enough to keep me reading. i know a 12 year old girl i'm gonna give this book to because i think she would enjoy it.
Sarah (blissbubbley)
I ended up reading this in one night as I wanted to find out more about the girls. It is beautifully written with very detailed characters and although it is aimed at pre-teens I think adults will enjoy it too. These books will definitely remain on anyone’s book shelves for years to come.
Cassandra
I won this book through goodreads first reads for free.

Powerful story telling and emotion has went into this book. I not only loved it but my children as well as it targets most of the age ranges. I would highly recommend reading this!
Tania
Another wonderful book by Sarah Lean. I couldn't put it down and ended up reading it all in one night! The story line pulls you in makes you want to find out all Angel and her story. Children from 8/9 years of age up will love this.
Emily
A Hundred Horses brought me back to childhood and all the time spent daydreaming about ponies and the magic they have(real or imagined!)This sweet book is going to my little sister who will love this goodreads win!
Lindsay/
Powerful and emotional story for all to read. I won this book with goodreads, and my daughter took it and finished it in one day. She wants another story from Sarah.
  • Jinx's Magic (Jinx #2)
  • The Secret Box
  • The Forbidden Stone (The Copernicus Legacy, #1)
  • The Jupiter Pirates: Hunt for the Hydra
  • Confessions of a So-Called Middle Child
  • School of Charm
  • Moonkind (Winterling, #3)
  • The 13-Storey Treehouse
  • The Escape (Horses of the Dawn, #1)
  • Case File 13: Zombie Kid
  • Bad Kitty Drawn to Trouble
  • Beswitched
  • Summer of the Wolves
  • A Snicker of Magic
  • Wanderville
  • A Box of Gargoyles
  • The 14 Fibs of Gregory K.
  • Almost Super
Sarah Lean grew up in Wells, Somerset but now lives in Dorset with her husband, son and dog. She has worked as a page-planner for a newspaper, a stencil-maker and a gardener, amongst various other things. She gained a first class English degree and became a primary school teacher before returning to complete an MA in Creative and Critical Writing with University of Winchester.
More about Sarah Lean...