Start by marking “Wind Rider's Oath (War God, #3)” as Want to Read:
Wind Rider's Oath (War God, #3)

Wind Rider's Oath (War God #3)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  2,062 ratings  ·  35 reviews
In The War God's Own, Bahzell had managed to stop a war by convincing Baron Tellian, leader of the Sothoii, to "surrender" to him, the War God's champion. Now, he has journeyed to the Sothoii Wind Plain to oversee the parole he granted to Tellian and his men, to represent the Order of Tomanak, the War God, and to be an ambassador for the hradani. What's more, the flying co ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 592 pages
Published August 1st 2005 by Baen (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Wind Rider's Oath, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wind Rider's Oath

Furies of Calderon by Jim ButcherImager by L.E. Modesitt Jr.Captain's Fury by Jim ButcherFirst Lord's Fury by Jim ButcherPrinceps' Fury by Jim Butcher
books with almighty heroes
39th out of 104 books — 25 voters
Little Red Riding Hood by Trina Schart HymanPale Horse, Pale Rider by Katherine Anne PorterThe Woman Who Rode Away and Other Stories by D.H. LawrenceRiders of the Purple Sage by Zane GreySlay Ride by Dick Francis
Riders Up !
99th out of 158 books — 20 voters

More lists with this book...

Dan
A magnificent tale of courage, determination, and honor!
Jim
Product Description

In The War God's Own, Bahzell had managed to stop a war by convincing Baron Tllian, leader of the Sothoii, to "surrender" to him, the War God's champion. Now, he has journeyed to the Sothoii Wind Plain to oversee the parole he granted to Tellian and his men, to represent the Order of tomanak, the War God, and to be an ambassador for the hradani. What's more, the flying coursers of the Sothoii have accepted Bahzell as a windrider - the first hradani windrider in history. And

Josh
I have to admit that I've been put off by this series for years by the ridiculous cover art. I guess the old adage about book covers is true because the series has been great.
Jeremy Preacher
Wind Rider's Oath actually seems to come together as a novel with a recognizable structure, which is... nice. It also starts to move away from the original main character some, which is good, because he's suffering a bad case of mudflation - his powers keep growing to the point where he's basically Superman and therefore quite difficult to put in any sort of challenging spot.

The characters that start to take over are much more interesting. I find the war maids - female warrior types that basical
Rena McGee
In Windrider’s Oath, Bahzell and Kaeritha split up on what at first seems like two different missions. Kaeritha heads off to visit a community of “warmaids” who have come into conflict with a local noble. The dispute is about a contested piece of land claimed by both sides. (The dispute is also about a great deal of entrenched sexism. Warmaids are considered to be “unnatural” because they renounce all family ties in exchange for a little more freedom than the average Sothoii woman is allowed.) K ...more
Katy
I really expected more from Weber. The first book in this series had great world-building, and I immediately fell in love with the dangerous and universally loathed hradani. (It was the ears.) Book two was interesting, and there was some character developments and insights in the hradani condition. It also raised two serious questions I was dying to have answered... which were not even dealt with in the third book.
Wind Rider's Oath spent the first half of the novel expounding on the political s
Kate
I like that we're getting away from Bazhell-- love the guy, but he's a bit too overpowered to make his fights anything but another Dragon Ball Z episode. Continue to enjoy Kerry, and the war maids so far are surprisingly restrained for a David Weber book, even if I rolled my eyes a lot at their "traditional outfit" of a leather kilt and an olde tymey sports bra.
Kathleen
Unlike the first two books in the trilogy, this particular novel has no focus or direction, instead meandering off after a too-large cast of characters, all of whom seem hell-bent on going in opposite directions. Barely any time at all is spent with Bahzell, who's supposed to be the hero of this story. Also, there's no ending, of sorts, or even a climax--just a randomly placed battle. A lot of plot threads are left dangling or even completely unresolved, including the main plotline itself.

All of
Biffbolt
A typical Weber novel: the pace is fast-paced and keeps the reader engrossed in the plot, but the story is populated by characters so thin that even paper dwarfs them in comparison. The heroes are all saintly, with superhuman patience that enables them to overwhelm the prejudices of the people they interact with (who are little more than tokens whose lives are there to be spent in service of making the threat seem more real). The villains are all furious moustache-twirlers. There is very little ...more
Will
A bit of a departure from the previous books in the series. What I loved in the previous books was the none stop action and fun. The jokes came fast as well as the action. Now all of a sudden (I know it was many years between book 2 and 3) it is all "set up" for the final action scenes. More plot development, more characters, less action. What I loved about the series has quickly declined in book 3. Still an OK book, but less of what made the series great. Will still read the next book in the se ...more
Susanne Winterhawk
Perfect for the genre. Exciting battles and a love story to boot.
Liviu
As War Maid's Choice earc was published I reread the first 3 Bazhell books first; this one improved the most on reread as the main issue I had on original reading - its fundamental incompleteness - is finally solved in War Maid's Choice where the arc started here ends decisively.
Still not top Weber but it's clear the author is learning how to write fantasy too and while his best fantasy is still Safehold, this one shows that Bazhell can become interesting too
Fantastic book. It might even be my favorite so far. I still have zero idea why Brandark is someone to watch out for but Kari was awesome. Watching her character growth or rather introduction to how and why she was chosen as a champion is riveting. The introduction of an entire new country of characters and throwing you into the characters and having three different plots going on was brilliant. Can't wait to read the new one.
Nicole
loved the end
Saga
The first two Bahzell books were enjoyable in a 'turn off your brains and laugh along' kind of way besides introducing a slightly different kind of hero, but this volume is just plain boring. Politics, politics, politics, plus a dull Sue that seems to steal the plot no matter what. I have no energy to read this further now, and will try to finish it some other time.
Jeffrey
The first novel was a hoot with plenty of action in a sword and sorcery work of art, the second in the series was pretty good and the world building was impressive. Plus Weber's has a knack for amusing banter. This one was good, but it also comes with a free cd with over 40 books on it.

And there is something about Weber's ability to spin a good yarn.
Jon Cooper
David Weber remains my favorite fiction author. I'd probably take his books to a desert island before anyone else's. This was a real fun read - great character relationship development and character development, world building, and story. Starting the next book in the series ("War Maids Choice") tonight.
Greg
Some good ole fantasy here. I like the different plot threads and how they all come together in the end. David Weber's style can be seen more clearly in this book than in the earlier two in the series. This book just felt very "Weber", which in my mind was a good thing. :)
Lokien
Another graet story for those who cant get enough of David Webers insiped hero. this one dose get a little bogged down from time to time but he is following 3 story lines in this one instade of just the one. once again an awsome adventure for the reader.
Michele
While I am really enjoying this series, I confess to being baffled that no one really close to the hero, Bahzell, has died yet. It seems a little ridiculous given all the mighty battles in which they've been engaged - not to mention unrealistic.
Clint
This one gets a bit slow at parts, and doesn't focus on Bazel as much as the first two. It definitely has it's moments though, and is really fun to read. I'm looking forward to him writing more books in this series.
Paks36
i love everything this author has written but found myself laughing outloud reading this series i enjoyed the humor although the prince roger series is also funny
Evan Scangas
Gunnar
Jan 19, 2013 Gunnar rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
The ending didn't thrill me, but this one's much better than the second volume in the series. Good enough for me to continue onto the fourth one, at least.
Mark
Apr 07, 2011 Mark rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: mine
Despite the criticism I actually enjoyed this book, although I would have to agree it appeared to lack a little something the previous two books possessed.
John Moss
I was rather disappointed. After The Oath of Swords and The War God's Own this book was very slow to get going and then ended almost as soon as it got started.
Robert Gallasch
Very enjoyable read... pure light entertainment, but the characters are well done and sympathetic!
Ralph McEwen
Read as an e-book. A free download from \\www.baen.com/library Baen Free Library.
Jessica
Read it an enjoyed it even though I didn't read the first two books in the series.
Foggygirl
One of the best books ever I can't wait to start reading the newest book!
  • The Tide of Victory (Belisarius, #5)
  • Against the Tide (The Council Wars, #3)
  • An Oblique Approach (Belisarius, #1)
  • The Wizard of Karres (The Witches of Karres, #2)
  • Freehold
David Mark Weber is an American science fiction and fantasy author. He was born in Cleveland, Ohio in 1952.

Many of his stories have military, particularly naval, themes, and fit into the military science fiction genre. He frequently places female leading characters in what have been traditionally male roles.

One of his most popular and enduring characters is Honor Harrington whose alliterated name
More about David Weber...

War God (4 books)
  • Oath of Swords (War God, #1)
  • The War God's Own (War God, #2)
  • War Maid's Choice (War God, #4)
On Basilisk Station (Honor Harrington, #1) The Honor of the Queen (Honor Harrington, #2) The Short Victorious War (Honor Harrington, #3) Field of Dishonor (Honor Harrington, #4) Honor Among Enemies (Honor Harrington, #6)