Start by marking “The Oath (Dismas Hardy, #8)” as Want to Read:
The Oath (Dismas Hardy, #8)

The Oath (Dismas Hardy #8)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  1,751 ratings  ·  88 reviews
Lt. Abe Glitsky and defense attorney Dismas Hardy are back—on opposite ends of a medical malpractice suit…and possible murder case.

When the head of San Francisco’s largest HMO dies in his own hospital as the result of massive injuries inflicted by a random hit-and-run car accident. But the autopsy soon tells a different story and Abe Glitsky quickly sets his sights on atte
Published January 7th 2003 by Signet (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Oath, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Oath

A Prayer for Owen Meany by John IrvingOf Mice and Men by John SteinbeckThe Day of the Triffids by John WyndhamThe Grapes of Wrath by John SteinbeckThe Cider House Rules by John Irving
Great "JOHNS" Of Literature.
61st out of 160 books — 22 voters
The Oath by John LescroartThe First Law by John LescroartA Certain Justice by John LescroartSunburn by John LescroartSon of Holmes by John Lescroart
Best of John Lescroart
1st out of 26 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Johnny
In The Oath by John Lescroart, multiple mysteries coalesce into a fascinating conundrum. When a “hit and run” driver hits the head of an HMO (probably one of the few occupations that would be despised more than a lawyer in our popular culture), it’s difficult to know whether the act was attempted murder or led to an opportunity for attempted murder. When negligence leads to death in the marquee hospital of the same HMO, it’s difficult to know whether that death is connected to other “convenient” ...more
Nancy Cook  Lauer
I've yet to find a Lescroart book I didn't like. Solid mystery, engaging writing style and familiar characters. This book was written 12 years ago, but it still rings true, as health-care firms try to balance costs and treatment efficacy.
Jim
Diz Hardy and Abe Glitsky are back in John Lescroart's "The Oath". Beginning with corrupt hospital administrator Tim Markham run over by a hit & run car. Things turn to murder when Markham dies while in the ICU even though his condition has been "Stable". Turns out potassium was used to kill off Markham. ICU doctor Eric Kensing becomes the prime suspect. Plenty of bad blood has come between Markham and Kensing. Markham has even stolen away Kensing's wife in a torrid affair. Diz Hardy enters ...more
Jerry
Tenth Dismas Hardy storyline somewhat trite, hence quite mixed reviews

Our only prior exposure to our author was his "Dead Irish" Dismas Hardy story that all but his most ardent fans found rather mediocre, as did we. In that book, half the tome was little but rumination before the action finally commenced. The Oath was thankfully somewhat more entertaining, but, though we failed to guess the villain as soon as many others, it ended with a whimper instead of a flourish. The plot per se was somewha
Deborah
This is a fine "popcorn" book, which is what I call my annual summer run of slightly lighter books, murder mysteries and so forth. Beach books if you will.

When the head of San Francisco’s largest HMO dies in his own hospital, no one doubts it is anything but the result of massive injuries inflicted by a random hit-and-run car accident. But the autopsy soon tells a different story an overdose of potassium killed him, and the attending physician Eric Kensing becomes the prime suspect in a high-pro
Joan
Four stars for Lescroart, as usual. Dismas Hardy and Abe Glitzky - and their families - have become my friends. Some passages I noted:

But, he thought synically, that's what politics was about. The inexperienced taking control.

She would then review these reports with Ross, and together they would decide which person they would discipline, for everyone was guilty of something. It was, Ross believed, a beauiful thing -- make laws governing all behavior, then enforce them selectively against people
Cj W
This book is pretty good.

I had no clue where the Author was going with it, as far as the 'murderer' goes.

You seriously don't really know, until the last minute. There are SO many people it could have been, that killed this CEO, that it's interesting to see how the story is woven together.

This story DID make me really uneasy and kind of upset though.

The reason being, because, although this story in specific is fiction, the idea behind the story, is NOT.

As someone who's worked in the Medical
J
BEWARE of spoilers. I don't hide or promote my reviews. (Beside, a spoiler is often in the mind of the beholder.)

This is another key installment in the lives of lawyer Dismas Hardy and his best bud, homicide detective chief Abe Glitsky.

This is the one where Abe ends up shot, critically wounded and (temporarily) in a wheelchair.

Hint: When an author starts out with what appears to be an extraneous incident, you can bet your sweet bippie (spelling?) that the incident is not extraneous.

Two major thr
Judith
Dismas Hardy, San Francisco attorney, takes on a client who becomes a suspect in a murder case. Eric Kensing was the attending physician when the head of an HMO died in his hospital. The victim had been hit by a car but an autopsy showed that excessive levels of potassium had been administered to him just before he died, bringing on a heart attack.

Hardy believes his client is innocent but Kensing has difficulty comprehending that he is the prime suspect. He manages to lie to his attorney about
Eric_W
I hesitate to mark this as a legal mystery as, unlike many of Lescroart's other books, there is very little that takes place in a courtroom except for a couple of grand jury scenes.

No need to summarize the plot as the book's description does that just fine without any spoilers and this book would be ripe for spoilers. Not a great book, just a lot of fun. I especially enjoyed the repartee between Glitsky and Hardy, two best friends, who manage to focus on their own conflicting jobs and irritate
Chris Yorgason
This was my first Lescroat book and it will probably not be my last. I really enjoyed the medical/legal thriller and found that I there were several times in the book I thought I had it all figured out. With all that guessing, I did manage to guess the murderer by the end, but only really though a process of elimination. There is some strong language, but on the whole I found the book quite enjoyable.
Carole Anderson
This was a fascinating, well written book that I enjoyed very much all the way to the end. I liked that the two main characters were a homicide police detective and a lawyer. And, although on opposite sides of a murder investigation, they collaborated and solved the murder. There was a great cast of characters that also took part and even those characters you wouldn't normally find as close friends. Very well done!
This book gets a four because I am comparing it to the Lee Child book I read just before it, which got a sickly two. Lescroart does a far better job of writing a page turner. I will read more of these.
Alex
What's more important, health insurance profits or someones life? I really enjoyed this book, the doctor seems to suffer a series of misfortune events and no one believes he isn't guilty of murder.
Denise Conroy
Finished this book but I didn't like it. Kinda boring and a lot of characters to keep track of.
Kathy Cherney
Another good one! Almost. 500 pages but good to the end!
Paul Parsons
As with most murder-mystery/crime-solving novels, the bulk of the story takes place after the fact and involves mostly dialogue between characters attempting to solve the crime or absolve themselves from it. Not my personnal favorite. That being said, I did enjoy this book as Lescroart shined a much needed light on the travisty we've come to know as "managed care." Those of us in the field know this has little to do with care and a lot to do with money, though it is portrayed otherwise. A good l ...more
Marcus
Good vacation read.
Vicki
This is a book that I picked up in a book exchange in a condo in Hawaii and it is a good beach read. It was published in 2003 and was a NY Times bestseller. I had to keep track of the characters in the beginning (many introduced quickly), but they became more real as they developed. The story is a medical mystery, blending the plot with personal lives. I especially like the characters of Glitsky and Hardy and their personal relationship. Just a good, fun read.
I will read more books by this autho
Neeka
A story full of corruption in the medical field... lots of twists and turns - something you come to expect from John Lescroart.
I had it figured out early on but only for the fact that I have read so many of his books...
Jim
Page turner. Great!
Joanne
The HMO administrator gets hit by a car then is murdered in the hospital. Is it the treating physician, who hates the man for having an affair with his wife? Are other ICU patients being murdered too? With this can't miss suspense, this is a great book, right? Not really. There is too much written about the characters, leaving you reading page after page of superfluous rambling. This is definiately not one of his better efforts.
Marti
Yes, at one of the book sales, I found a John Lescroart novel that I had not read. This was a little different, as it concerned murder connected with an HMO--a topice one might expect from Robin Cook or Michael Palmer. It is always terrific to meet old friends like Dismas Hardy and Abe Glitsky. Naturally, there are some twists and turns as they struggle to solve the puzzle of who killed the executive, and his family, and why.
Toni Osborne
This drama is about greed in the health industry and may leave you with a bitter taste in your mouth and wondering if in some jurisdiction profit doesn't supersede patient care....Oh! The health care system...

I have mixed feeling about this story, although I couldn't put the book down at first. I found that by the end of the book, the tale was turning in circles and was dragging way too much.
Teresa
I had grown weary of the long, drawn-out crime fiction story. Prior to this one, there just seemed to be too many people and too many situations to keep up with. In this one, however, the story felt current enough (even when reading it ten years after its publication) that the medical business of hospitals and insurers that it was riveting (yes, riveting).
I look forward to reading more from this author.
Susan
Defense attorney, Dismis Hardy is back in this story which includes many of the regulars from the series. This time the CEO of a major health provider company is the victim of a hit and run accident. He's in the ICU and in dire straights. But, when he dies, it comes to light that he was actually murdered in the hospital. I really like this series and this is a good installment.
Maurean
I really enjoyed this legal drama; not much of a surprise, really, as I'm a big fan of this genre. Lescroart's writing was entertaining, his characters very well-developed, and the storyline was full of twists & surprises. I was very drawn to DA Hardy and his tough-as-nails attitude. I will definitely read more by this author. ("A Certain Justice" sounds really good!)
Clyn
An unpredictable medical mystery that delves into the more sinister side of managed health care. An odd writing style of not finishing thoughts completely, but just giving enough so that the reader can string the plot together is initially confusing, but ends up being efficiently satisfying in that everything isn't laid out for the reader.
Darla
I've read several of these mysteries featuring lawyer Dismas Hardy and his best friend, homicide cop Abe Glitsky. This time suspicious deaths at a San Francisco hospital/HMO have them examining what goes on when money takes presidence over health care. Because I had a career in health care, this book was very interesting to me.
Anne-Marie
Twist ending thought something else happened. Was happy with ending. Am really enjoying this author. Am happy I read his first book The Dead Irish before reading this book. The author has really developed his main character Dismas Hardy. In this book he is married and has 2 children since the loss of his first child as an infant.
  • The Stone Leopard
  • Lancelot
  • Caravan of Dreams
  • The Moon Pool
  • The Shape of Things to Come
  • Dirty Work (Stone Barrington, #9)
  • Perfect Justice (Ben Kencaid, #4)
  • Trader Of Secrets (Paul Madriani, #12)
  • Deep River
  • Bonjour, Babar!: The Six Unabridged Classics by the Creator of Babar
  • The Laws Of Our Fathers (Kindle County, #4)
  • Manservant and Maidservant
  • Dark Horse (Elena Estes #1)
  • An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge and Other Stories
John Lescroart (born January 14, 1948) is an American author best known for two series of legal and crime thriller novels featuring the characters Dismas Hardy and Abe Glitsky.

Lescroart was born in Houston, Texas, and graduated from Junípero Serra High School, San Mateo, California (Class of 1966). He then went on to earn a B.A. in English with Honors at UC Berkeley in 1970. In addition to his nov
More about John Lescroart...
The 13th Juror (Dismas Hardy, #4) Damage (Abe Glitsky, #3) A Plague of Secrets (Dismas Hardy, #13) The Second Chair (Dismas Hardy #10) Dead Irish

“New opportunities abound if we but have the courage to face them.” 0 likes