Start by marking “The Crush” as Want to Read:
The Crush

The Crush

Aldo Bagnolesi finally has what he's long wanted. Control of the family winery in Tuscany. The only little detail is that someone has to manage the place for a few years. He's far too involved in his company to leave on such short notice, but his daughter…

Despite her worries, Nicola agrees to step up to the plate, even though her interest in Italy and wine is sorely lackin
Published May 24th 2013 by Brisk Press

To ask other readers questions about The Crush, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Crush

Tiff
Mar 16, 2016 Tiff rated it really liked it
The Crush by Susan X. Meagher made me want to drink wine. Oh no not it a bad way, in a very good way. This book is long in length but it is also chock full of depth and detail.

Nicola Bagnolesi is an advertising sales executive for her father’s advertising firm in Chicago. She is happy with her life. What more could she ask for her life revolves around partying with clients, make sales and hanging out with her girlfriend if she feels up to it. All of this changes when her father tells her she is
Dee
Being a lover of wine and vineyards, the cover and blurb to this story drew me in, not to mention all the outstanding reviews. The beautiful writing, the vivid descriptions and information on Italy and its history are most definitely worthy of high ratings.

I felt for Nicola and her situation, and rooted for her making the best of less than favorable circumstances. The romance between Nicola and her love interest (what’s her name?) is a slow burn, which I can’t say I cared about one way or the ot
Jem
This is now officially my favorite Susan Meagher book, and its all because of Chiara. I've read and loved a few books this year, but this is the first character i've read this year that i can call one of my 'all time favorite characters'. As for the book, it was pretty good too. :) I liked how the author very skillfully incorporated all the wine-making info into the story without any boring expositions and how much I learned about Italy without it sounding like a travelogue. The story really ...more
Natsu
Reading this book took a while.

Oh! No, not because it's bad. the story is really nice. So nice that I didn't want to read it while I was on my break at work nor did I want to read it via tts WHILE I worked. I guess I wanted to fully immerse in the story. It warranted my undivided attention.

It was beautifully told. From the characters, romance, arguments, the stuff about wine and wine-making, about Italy. All those factors combined made reading interesting and enjoyable.

Three words I can assoc
Just a man's point of view
Research and italian stuff
Being italian and having relatives in Tuscany, I must say the author made a wonderful, wonderful research job on this book.
In particular, names are very tuscan. For example "Riccarda", Chiara's mother is a name you can find probably only in Tuscany.
Places, customes, jokes, language expressions are all exactly correct. But let me say, also the spirit of the italian life style is correct in the novel. And this is not taken for granted at all, because we see so many americ
Frank Van Meer
As I regularly do, I re-read books. I've adjusted the rating from 4 to 5 stars and it made my all time favorites list.

Why?

This story isn't just a romance. It's about love. For each other, for Italy, for wine. This is one of those books where I'm constantly consulting Wikipedia. I just have to know what the author is talking about. I even went as far to try and figure out the location of Bagnolesi Vineyards. There is no mention exactly where it is, but here I was, scrolling Google Maps and try to
Lia A
Feb 08, 2015 Lia A rated it it was amazing
Loved it.
Syeinv
Dec 23, 2015 Syeinv rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbt, lesbian, romance, wine
It had been a while since I finally found a book that I can pull an all-nighter to finish. The read is worthwhile, the romance is nicely done. This story makes me want to visit the local liquor store and purchase some wines just to differentiate their tastes.

While there are some words that are lost to me, parts that I got bored of, especially the whole Onda's business, events is being described so slow and drag on, or that minor conflicts keep appear and gone like the wind, I got quite a huge s
Pin
An exceptionally good read. Just like a fine wine...
Agirlcandream
Aug 27, 2013 Agirlcandream rated it really liked it
Loved learning about wine making and fascinating history of the region. Good read.
Vic
Sep 23, 2014 Vic rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lesfic
I'm a big fan of Meagher's standalone books. They always pull me in, and with more pages to them than most lesbian romance novels they're definitely a satisfying read. Her main characters - for the most part - intrigue me and draw me in. This book certainly lives up to those previous standards.

Though at times situations were a little far-fetched in The Crush, the characters and setting enabled me to move past any little niggles I had with the storyline. The romance is sweet, their chemistry obv
Heidi
May 30, 2013 Heidi rated it really liked it
Absolutely love Susan Meagher's writing. Although i am always left wanting more, i can't complain this book is long, like most of her stories. I always feel transported to the locations she describes. Her characters are well developed. I think I fell in love with the vineyard. I will miss the grapes, the struggles of winemaking and of course the passionate Italian people.
N. N.
Jan 03, 2014 N. N. rated it liked it
You'll definitely get immersed in the world of Italian wine-making Meagher creates, but the tale could have benefited from more forward momentum, and a greater focus on the main characters' relationship.
qrbooks
Nov 07, 2016 qrbooks rated it really liked it
Well-written but not as sexy as I'd hoped...

Almost lost me in the opening scene where our American lead vomits in her car, and on her jacket. Ew. I don't see sexy in store when my first impression is vomit. lol. But I plowed on nevertheless, immensely disliking Nicola Bagnolesi because she is right away reckless, spoiled, unappealing, a crappy girlfriend, and probably drinks too much.

But our dopey lead gets her whole life pulled out from under her when her controlling Italian father sends her pa
Terry Baker
Jun 02, 2013 Terry Baker rated it it was amazing
Nicola Bagnolesi is happily working at her father’s advertising agency in Chicago when she gets a terrible shock. Aldo Bagnolesi, her father, has just gained control of the winery in Tuscany that has been in his family for years. There is just one tiny problem with this, Aldo needs someone to run it for the next two years as he can’t retire just yet. Who better than his expendable daughter, Nicola?

Nicola feels pressured into agreeing, even though she knows nothing about wine and has no interest
Miriam Cortez
Jul 09, 2015 Miriam Cortez rated it it was amazing
Just finised reading an amazing book and also very long haha. I loved it very much. At first its was i don't know not interesting but after Nicola arrived in Italy it started getting more interesting and a even till the end it was a little crazy. But it also taught me a lot about wine even if its might not be the same way people actually taste wine its interesting to read in in someone else perspective. And also pretty amazing the way she incorporated some kind of religion into the book. I love ...more
Sunny
Jul 15, 2013 Sunny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took me a little while to get into the book, but the second half really drew me in. I really loved all the details about the vineyard and wine-making. Italy has also moved up on my 'places I want to go' list.

I did have a few small issues with the book, but as others have said, the romance sort of smoothed the rough edges and made me overlook those things. Honestly I would like to give it 3 1/2 stars, based on some of my other ratings, but I feel it deserves a little more, so I rounded up.
Robin Wingård
Oct 19, 2016 Robin Wingård rated it really liked it
Shelves: f-f
Got going pretty good after a few chapters. Really liked the family dynamic and the drama revolving around that - felt very genuine. Was abit different because of the wine making / italian-culture referances, its not terribly involving in the subject (wine making), but still served as a good backdrop for the rest of the story to revolve around.
a
May 31, 2015 a rated it really liked it
Very good book. I echo all the Chiarra appreciation. Her character is fantastic– passionate and wilful. Really sexy. My main reservation about this book is its length. This book is a long and there's a lot of wine talk that slowed the story down for me. I would still recommend this book though.
poppp
Sep 06, 2015 poppp rated it it was amazing
Definitely one of my favorites of Susan Meagher's. I loved everything about it! Definitely worth your time --- and you'll be wanting more after reading it.
Pinkdturtle tina
May 29, 2014 Pinkdturtle tina rated it really liked it
Another great book! I was a full confessed beer drinker until started reading susan x meagher books, now on the wine.
Love how learn about all different things across her books.
Blu
Nov 28, 2014 Blu rated it really liked it
Fabulous!
Tracie Hmieleski
Tracie Hmieleski rated it really liked it
Nov 30, 2013
S Bsen
S Bsen rated it it was amazing
Dec 06, 2014
Amy
Amy rated it it was ok
Dec 31, 2014
Procrastireader
Procrastireader rated it it was ok
Mar 24, 2015
Female Person
Female Person rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2013
Kathleen Croyle
Kathleen Croyle rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2016
Gwendolyn J
Gwendolyn J rated it it was amazing
Oct 24, 2016
Kristin Bush
Kristin Bush rated it it was amazing
Jul 13, 2014
  • Cool Side of the Pillow
  • Accidental Love
  • Call Me Softly
  • But She Is My Student
Susan X Meagher was born in southern Illinois and grew up in East St Louis. She attended college in Chicago and started her working career there. She and her partner moved to the Los Angeles area in the late 80's. It was there that she started to write. Her first few books were simply posted on the web and became the I Found My Heart in San Francisco series. In 2002 she moved to New York and ...more
More about Susan X. Meagher...