Start by marking “One-Dish Vegan: More than 150 Soul-Satisfying Recipes for Easy and Delicious One-Bowl and One-Plate Dinners” as Want to Read:

3.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  183 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Published September 10th 2013 by Harvard Common Press

To ask other readers questions about One-Dish Vegan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One-Dish Vegan

Lisa Vegan
Mar 23, 2014 Lisa Vegan rated it really liked it
This is one I wish I could own, and I might borrow it again. I often make one dish meals, sometimes eating them with a grain such as quinoa or brown rice, but often making a full meal in a single pot. This book gave me some great ideas, and quite a few of the recipes look worth making. I really like the international flavor. In many recipes there are many ingredients I’d want to substitute or change. The lack of photos is the main reason why it gets only 4 stars from me. The only photos are sing ...more
Nancy
Jul 26, 2013 Nancy rated it really liked it
If people are programmed to eat with their eyes first, why do some cookbooks not have pictures? That has always been a confusion to me. Give me big glossy pictures and I am more likely to purchase the cookbook and attempt the meals in hope that they come out looking and tasting the way they were intended. Cookbook authors put in a great deal of work into getting a final product out so give the reader pictures; let us see what they have strived so hard for.

OK, that rant is over, but now we are on
Sherry
Mar 17, 2014 Sherry rated it it was amazing
I love eating vegetarian/vegan, but I still struggle with coming up with enticing entrees off the top of my head. For this, I normally turn to cookbooks, like Let Them Eat Vegan!: 200 Deliciously Satisfying Plant-Powered Recipes for the Whole Family or How to Cook Everything Vegetarian. I've tried many other vegetarian/vegan cookbooks, but find many to be uninspired. This book, however, is up there with the magic that is Burton and Bittman!

So far, we have made:
1) Thai Peanut Bowl with Tofu and
Kelly Lynn Thomas
Apr 08, 2015 Kelly Lynn Thomas rated it really liked it
Shelves: food
I've made about two dozen recipes from this book, and they are all super easy and super tasty. Because you are often cooking the grain in the pot with everything else, there are some longer cook times, but a lot of it is inactive.

The only hitch I ran into was cooking brown rice in the same pot as the rest of the food. Brown rice takes a million years to cook, so I never really got it 100% cooked. In the future, I would just cook the rice separately to make things easier. But cooking quinoa in th
Cynthia Corral
Apr 21, 2014 Cynthia Corral rated it it was amazing
I originally gave this just four stars and I'm not sure why - perhaps because there are no pictures. However, I've been cooking my way through this, have made several of the soups and chilis, and it is just outstanding. Every dish has been delicious. The BBQ sauce was indeed 5 minutes and amazing, and the "healthy butter" is better than I ever could have imagined. I just finished the Greek spinach and rice dish, and discovered that white beans are fabulous. Now I'm in the middle of the Tuscan be ...more
Janet
Jan 23, 2014 Janet rated it did not like it
Shelves: cookbook
There are so many delicious-sounding recipes in this book that I wanted to love it, especially when "One-bowl" and "One-Plate" are in the title; I'm always looking for easy, make-after-work recipes. But unfortunately, these recipes are not that accessible; there is always just one extra ingredient that I would never have on hand, like liquid smoke, or there are odd mixes of spices and vegetables that I would not have just sitting around. If you're willing to work hard for your "One-bowl" dishes, ...more
Jacquelyn
Jun 30, 2015 Jacquelyn rated it really liked it
Shelves: nook
The title is a little misleading, since technically any number of dishes you can fit on one plate could be considered a "one-plate dinner". For example, I'm not sure how pizza fits into this. I was expecting simple recipes that only dirty one pot or pan (because honestly I'm that lazy), so making pizza starting with the dough seemed like way too much work. I'd rather just chop the veggies and tofu and throw everything into the pot with rice and cook it up and voila: a true one-dish meal.

And mos
Allison
Jun 07, 2015 Allison rated it it was amazing
This has become one of my favorite vegan cookbooks. I've had a lot of vegan cookbooks over the years, and favorite recipes from each one, but usually I pick a handful of recipes from each that I love. This is possible the first cookbook that I've wanted to try almost all of the recipes. So far I've made Spicy Soba Salad with Edamame and Cucumber, Hoppin' John with Kale, Jamaican Jerk Tempeh and Vegetables, Couscous with Edamame and Chickpeas, Thai Peanut Bowl with Tofu and Asparagus (but I used ...more
Samantha Arias
Dec 03, 2014 Samantha Arias rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking
Another good Robin Robertson cook book. Had a range of recipes in it. Gave it 4 stars instead of 5 because a lot of the recipes seemed pretty close to one another. They had but a difference on one or two ingredients. Plus it was very bean heavy. I love beans and all but mix it up a bit. Other than that, I got a bunch of useful recipes to incorporate.
AJ
Dec 13, 2014 AJ rated it liked it
There are a lot of very diverse recipes in here, but many call for a food processor, so while they're simple recipes they require a fair number of gadgets you may not necessarily own. No photos and no dessert recipes.
Sheri Scovil
Mar 30, 2014 Sheri Scovil rated it really liked it
Has a lot of great, high protein, heart healthy recipes. Including substitutions for oil. A lot of the recipes look complicated, but I'm considering purchasing the book. I checked it out from my pubic library.
Susana Cunha
May 13, 2015 Susana Cunha rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks, vegan-food
Tem receitas muito boas e simples de se fazer. Já fiz várias e ficaram sempre bem. Só não dou 5 estrelas porque o livro não tem fotografias.
Charity
Jun 24, 2014 Charity rated it it was ok
I have a hard time using cookbooks that don't have a lot of images to go with the recipes. I want to know what the food is supposed to look like.
Jul 02, 2015 Jennifer rated it it was ok
Only found 1 recipe I want to make.
Kayla
Jan 14, 2015 Kayla rated it it was amazing
Shelves: vegan, cookbooks
This looks like a great cookbook. There are lots of easy recipes that I can't wait to try. I love chilies, curries, soups, and casseroles, because they are easy and simple to make. I wish this cookbook had pictures, but I knew it didn't before I purchased it, so it's okay.
Carol
Jun 02, 2015 Carol rated it it was amazing
Shelves: excellent
Great recipes, easy to make, on my list to purchase.
Cheryl Fields-Smith
Cheryl Fields-Smith rated it it was amazing
Jacqueline Hunter
Jacqueline Hunter rated it really liked it
Tami Llanos
Tami Llanos rated it it was amazing
Feb 06, 2016
Lesley
Lesley rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2016
Precious Wright
Precious Wright rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2016
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Devin Reynolds
Devin Reynolds rated it really liked it
Victoria
Victoria is currently reading it
Feb 03, 2016
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Alicia Drewyor
Alicia Drewyor marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Tiffany
Tiffany marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Claire Shelton
Claire Shelton marked it as to-read
Nanny Molina
Nanny Molina marked it as to-read
Sheila
Sheila marked it as to-read
  • The Great Vegan Bean Book
  • Chloe's Vegan Desserts: More than 100 Exciting New Recipes for Cookies and Pies, Tarts and Cobblers, Cupcakes and Cakes--and More!
  • Home-Cooked Vegan Comfort Food: More Than 200 Belly-Filling, Lip-Smacking Recipes
  • Vegan Casseroles: Pasta Bakes, Gratins, Pot Pies, and More
  • Wild About Greens: 125 Delicious Recipes from Hearty Soups & Stews to Succulent Sautes & Smoothies
  • Bake and Destroy: Good Food for Bad Vegans
  • The Best Veggie Burgers on the Planet: 101 Globally Inspired Vegan Creations Packed with Fresh Flavors and Exciting New Tastes
  • Vegan Eats World: 300 International Recipes for Savoring the Planet
  • Betty Goes Vegan: Over 500 Classic Recipes for the Modern Family
  • Eat Vegan on $4.00 a Day
  • Vedge: 100 Plates Large and Small That Redefine Vegetable Cooking
  • The Inspired Vegan: Seasonal Ingredients, Creative Recipes, Mouthwatering Menus
  • The Homemade Vegan Pantry: The Art of Making Your Own Staples
  • Pure Vegan: 70 Recipes for Beautiful Meals and Clean Living
  • Sticky Fingers' Sweets: 100 Super-Secret Vegan Recipes
  • Happy Herbivore Light & Lean: Over 150 Low-Calorie Recipes with Workout Plans for Looking and Feeling Great
  • The Vegan Stoner Cookbook: 100 Easy Vegan Recipes to Munch
  • Street Vegan: Recipes and Dispatches from The Cinnamon Snail Food Truck
An experienced chef and consultant, Robin Robertson worked for many years in restaurants and catering in northeastern Pennsylvania and Charleston, South Carolina before she began writing cookbooks. In 1988, she left the restaurant business and became vegan for ethical reasons. She then rededicated her life to writing and teaching gourmet vegan cooking.

Over the years, she has fine-tuned her plant-b
More about Robin G. Robertson...