Start by marking “My Next Step: An Extraordinary Journey of Healing and Hope” as Want to Read:
My Next Step: An Extraordinary Journey of Healing and Hope

My Next Step: An Extraordinary Journey of Healing and Hope

My Next Step is a remarkable memoir of one man coming face to face with the darkest moments of his life and how, through his own drive and the unwavering support of family and friends, he never succumbed to despair. Dave Liniger had it all: four successful children, a lifetime filled with adventure, and a company he’d founded, RE/MAX, that became one of the most prominent ...more
Published April 23rd 2013 by Hay House

To ask other readers questions about My Next Step, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Next Step

Jim
Jun 12, 2013 Jim rated it it was ok
The book's title grabbed me and all the high ratings hooked me in, but I have to go against the flow of opinion on this one. Not to diminish Mr. Liniger's personal struggle to regain his mobility and dignity in any way, which must have been (and must continue to be) an extraordinary, life-changing journey. But for me there was just too much bravado... too many assertions about how tough he is, what an adventurer he is, how he never quits like other people do, etc. All that self aggrandizement ...more
j chris
Mar 15, 2013 j chris rated it it was amazing
I just received this book yesterday from a goodreads win, I started reading the first few pages and I couldn't put it down. I read it until I was done, it was a great read, no big words to make it longer, just honest writing right from the person who lived through it. It was a great book, I don't know if I could have wanted to live as much pain as he was in, I would recommend that everyone should read this, just to get an understanding of what family means to all of us, and how that can really ...more
-t r
Dec 08, 2013 -t r rated it it was ok
this is actually two stories in one short memoir. the surface story is how this man overcame a personal tragedy with determination and the support of family and friends. the understory is how, add long ad you have money, lots of money, the healthcare system in the US is wonderful. while I give him lots of kudos for not dying, I think the bigger issue is the one he doesn't address: because of his bank account, he was able to get care that isn't available to everyone.
Jeanne
Sep 05, 2013 Jeanne rated it it was ok
An interesting story of the co-founder of RE/MAX and his recovery from a devastating medical condition. But, he is a type A personality with a competitive streak and his ego gets in the way of the story.
Carol
Apr 15, 2013 Carol rated it liked it

My Next Step: An Extraordinary Journey of Healing and Hope by Dave Liniger was a disappointment to me. There was just too much of REMAX in this book. Mr. Liniger is the chairman and Co-Founder of that business.

Mr. Liniger was having some back pain which later turned out to be MRSA. That is potentially deadly. It is a Staph infection that can is terribly difficult to fight. I heard a presentation from a woman whose son has it and he nearly died several times. That brought me to tears, this book
Heather
Apr 14, 2013 Heather rated it really liked it
Dave Liniger has written a wonderful memoir about his miraculous fight for life. Mr. Liniger is the co-founder of Re/Max real estate and is a no nonsense, man's man. Throughout his lifetime he has set goals and found the means to achieve each goal he has set. He pushes himself to go further and do better in everything he works for. He has done things that have punished his body both physically and mentally. Probably due in some way or another to this fact, he has a bad back. Unknown to anyone ...more
Heidi The Hippie Librarian
Jun 04, 2014 Heidi The Hippie Librarian rated it it was ok
Shelves: memoirs
I found Liniger's method of communicating with others to be too aggressive to really be enjoyable. Especially in the story he tells about caring for Gale, the way he speaks to the hospital staff and in group therapy was offensive. It's clear that he cares passionately about his friends, family, certain charities, and co-workers, but his level of concern doesn't seem to extend beyond that- it seems like he treats everybody else badly.

His story of illness and extraordinary healing was amazing, but
Reading Fool
May 30, 2013 Reading Fool rated it liked it
Shelves: giveaways, 2013
I received a free copy of this book from the publisher.

Dave Liniger, co-founder of RE/MAX, wrote this memoir to tell the story of his recovery from a serious staph infection in his spine. The infection left him in severe pain and paralyzed from the neck down. Liniger was in the hospital for many months to have multiple surgeries and go through the recovery and rehab process. This book is a great motivational piece, especially for patients and their families who are going through difficult health
Lucia Rodriguez
May 21, 2013 Lucia Rodriguez rated it it was amazing
I am going through my own "Dark Times" and this book is what I needed to help pull me through. Well written. I know all too well about PTSD, being competitive and in what seems to be an endless hopeless time. Thank you so much for writing this book. I love the little quotes from M Kathleen Casey, Kenji Miyazawa, and others. I highly recommend this book to anyone who is going through some problems in their lives. This is a book we all can relate too.
Diane
I won this as a LibraryThing Early Review book. It was very inspiring, especially as my mother just recently came home after 7 months in a nursing home receiving rehab. I will be sending to her to read. Dave is very honest in his book which outlines his "continuing" recovery from a serious staph infection which attacked his spine. He also reinforces his never give up mentality and the importance of family and friends that help with recovery. Recommended for everyone.
Cathy Smith
Apr 20, 2014 Cathy Smith rated it really liked it
I received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads. This is a very inspirational book. To fight such a disease and get through it...most can not imagine. It was great how the company didn't panic everyone and kept a positive attitude about it. And the support from family and friends was incredible. This was a very well written book and I do recommend it to anyone who is going through the same thing. Great!
Elizabeth
Mar 23, 2013 Elizabeth rated it liked it
Dave's story is a great motivation for all of us. His description, with the help of his family and friends, gives great perspective to the roller coaster of his journey. It is inspiring that Dave never gave up and continues to encourage readers to live life to the fullest. I recommend this book to anyone - it is a wonderful story of struggle, success, family, and life.
Anne
May 12, 2013 Anne rated it really liked it
The writing itself isn't of the caliber I am accustomed to, but the message is still worth the read. I can't help but gravitate to and admire people like Dave Liniger who make no excuses and strive for the best life has to offer. This is a book I have a feeling I'll be referring back to again and again.
Deborah Lloyd
Apr 08, 2013 Deborah Lloyd rated it it was amazing
I was one of the fortunate giveaway winners of this book and have just finished reading it. Dave certainly demonstrates the power of positive thinking and sheer determination! One lesson he quoted from Napoleon Hill sums up his philosophy: Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, it can achieve. An inspirational, and quick, read for anyone facing life's challenges.
Teri
Mar 22, 2013 Teri rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
My Next Step
Dave's journey through a major illness is heart breaking. You can feel the love of family and friends throughout the book. Dave is a wonderful positive person. He does have many thoughts of what he will be but in truth he is the man he has always been. I think this book will inspire many whom are going thru illness or help others with illness.
Cathy Bell
Apr 07, 2013 Cathy Bell rated it really liked it
Shelves: home, giveaways-won
This is a very inspiring book. It made me laugh and cry a couple of times. A lot of people would have crumbled when faced with the obsticles that Dave faced. I would recommend this to anyone who needs encouragement.
Angela
Sep 18, 2013 Angela rated it liked it
Always good to read of someone else's struggle to remain positive and find hope, inspiration and resolve. This author overcame immense health obstacles.
( A lot of grammar/editing errors bothered me!)
Joe
Jan 25, 2015 Joe rated it it was ok
Dave Page
Aug 28, 2013 Dave Page rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book, and a reasonably quick read too. Highly recommended to anyone interested in reading about overcoming adversity
Jodene
Jul 02, 2013 Jodene rated it liked it

Fast read. I think if I was struggling with some sort of challenge it would have inspired me but thankfully I am not.
Jyll Stuart
Jun 12, 2013 Jyll Stuart rated it really liked it
I received this book as a gift from one of my clients. What an amazing story of one man's courage to overcome a devastating illness.
Bonnie
Jul 05, 2013 Bonnie rated it really liked it
Dave is amazing and his positive attitude is what made him successful and clearly what led to his recovery!!!
Gojo324
Gojo324 rated it liked it
Apr 26, 2014
Jennifer rated it it was ok
Jul 30, 2014
Eric Bartosh
Eric Bartosh rated it liked it
Aug 01, 2015
Cynthia
Cynthia rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2013
AJ
AJ rated it liked it
Apr 07, 2014
Gwen Hardin
Gwen Hardin rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2013
Natalie
Natalie rated it it was ok
Sep 25, 2014
Gary Ford
Gary Ford rated it it was amazing
Mar 15, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • The Kennedy Chronicles: The Golden Age of MTV Through Rose-Colored Glasses
  • Pale Horses (Jade de Jong, #4)
  • In and Out of Step
  • God's Calling: How a Cheap Cell Phone and a Homeless Teen Transformed My Life and My Faith
  • Sentinels (Sentinels, #1)
  • Snoop: A Small Town Gossip Mystery
  • The Infinite Resource: The Power of Ideas on a Finite Planet
  • Enchanted by Starlight
  • Vodka on My Wheaties
  • De dag dat ik doodging
  • The Day My Brain Exploded
  • Writers of the Future Volume 29
  • Surgeon in Blue: Jonathan Letterman, the Civil War Doctor Who Pioneered Battlefield Care
  • Beyond the Bear: How I Learned to Live and Love Again after Being Blinded by a Bear
  • The Leviathan Effect
  • A Texas Destiny: The Saga Begins
  • What a Son Needs from His Mom
  • Damage Control: Stories

“I don’t look back on my life with a single moment of regret or remorse for things I didn’t do, should have done or might have done differently.” 2 likes
“The mind is a very powerful tool that can work for or against you. This battle was every bit as mental as it was physical. I couldn't let the darkness that came at night control the outcome of my days. I had to be fearless, fight through the pain, and face the unknown.” 2 likes