The Telling Pool

The Telling Pool

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  953 ratings  ·  83 reviews
David Clement-Davies's novel transports teen readers back to the days of Richard the Lionheart's medieval crusade. Young Rhodri Falcon and his Crusader father become entangled not only in a war of religious zealotry but also in the schemes of a seductive sorceress who literally steals men's hearts. The author of Fire Bringer and The Sight weaves an Arthurian fantasy in whi...more
Published October 1st 2005 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about The Telling Pool, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Telling Pool

Lyanne
The book I read was The Telling Pool by David Clement Davies. I read the book because David Clement Davies is my favorite author who has also written other books that are very interesting. The protagonist is a young teenager named Rhodri Falcon. The antagonist would be Homeira who is an enchantress. One day during a carnival Rhodri is called by an old woman. She claims to reveal his future and pulls out a deck of cards. Each card represents an event that will occur in his future. She reveals th...more
Katy Wilmotte
This book had so many resemblances to Kevin Crossley-Holland's The Seeing Stone it was almost uncanny. Both books feature young boys living in a small town on the border of England and Wales and discover they have a mystical connection to the long lost King Arthur. Instead of a stone, however, young Rhodri Falcon has a Telling Pool which shows him scenes of what is taking place in the wide world, especially in the Holy Land where his father fights in the Crusades. In all of this, he becomes enta...more
Karen
I had a hard time getting into this, and then, thinking back, I don't really lOVE the plot, but it did get exciting enough that I didn't want to put it down for the 2nd half.
I liked the characters, I liked the setting, I like the coming of age-ness and the little romances that didn't have to lead anywhere really, just a part of growing up.
I was a little "put-off" by the bash on Christianity, but then I realized, they're talking about it in the context of King Richard/Prince John era when it wa...more
Mrs. Luetje's Purple People Eaters
Oct 02, 2008 Mrs. Luetje's Purple People Eaters rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Realistic Fantasy Lovers
This book is full of suspense. I probably would have given it 5 stars if not for the lack of action. The book is long enough so it is satisfying but not too long to get the reader bored. I thought the ending could have better if it continued a little longer and did not just cut off when he gets home. For anyone who likes realistic fantasy books this is a great read and worth the money.
Kritika
I don't have much to say about this book. It wasn't particularly memorable to me, and I couldn't really connect with the protagonist, Rhodri. There may be minor spoilers ahead, so beware.
The story was very slow moving, and when Rhodri finally sets off on his quest (which, in my opinion, should have been the bulk of the novel instead of the last 100 pages), it seems like an afterthought. He could have experienced far more and grown along his journey instead of relying on his trusty falcon Melanor...more
Bg
Though I'm not a big Saxon, King Arther, Knights of the Round Table sorta reader, I still really enjoyed this book. A little bit of magic, coming of age, romance, betrayal, and history set the tone for this book. Little Rhodri is a very simply farm boy with loving parents who run a farm and train falcons for the Lord of their land. One day, going into town for a festival Rhodri gets his fortune read by the creepy old hag and what she tells with the cards scares him more then anything. As time mo...more
Nicole
It wasn't bad, but it was set in the time period of history I never seemed to think made sense. I still never think the Crusades made any sense. Religion drives people, gives them purpose and a sense of power, but those with power sometimes take it too far and interpret the will of their god with a hidden need for more land and resources. I'm not trying to say religion is bad, but sometimes people with power don't know how to handle it properly and they take it too far. To actually tell you abou...more
Särah Nour
Archetypal fantasy novels involving sorcerers, swords and magical odysseys often walk a fine line between having a classic, timeless quality and being generic and cliché. While famed British author David Clement-Davies straddles this line with The Telling Pool, ultimately the novel satisfies with a skilled blend of fantasy, historical fiction and Arthurian legend.

Set in late 12th century England, The Telling Pool tells the coming-of-age story of Rhodri, a young Welsh falconer whose father, Owen,...more
Sleepy Lemming
Why why why, is it a stand alone novel?! I was looking forward to a story of King Arthur come again, especially with all the backstory given to Rhodri. I loved this book but the ending fell short of expectations as does the fact that it's not part of a series. I feel like so much more could have happened for it to just end there! Rhodri becoming king even, or at least going on other quests, perhaps marrying Rebecca?
Lindsey
More like a 2.5

A good coming of age story but really slow. The main character spends most of the book sitting on a rock staring into a pool. And while the events in the pool were relevant and interesting, I just wanted something to happen. Finnnnally, 100 pages before the end he actually goes on a quest. Yay. But by then I was already ready for the book to end.

Literary Elements: animal on the cover
Meg
Unfortunately, this book, which I sincerely looked forward to reading, fell incredibly flat in all categories: characterization, intrigue, plot twists...even plot! Where I hoped to read about the grandeur of King Arthur and the excitement of the Crusades, I suffered through 360 pages of weak characters and uninteresting plot. It took me over a month to finish, and it was a chore to pick up. The villainess was vague, the hero annoying, and the romance unbelievable and arguably forced. Ugh, I just...more
Tracy
The book wasn't that bad. In fact, the plot, the set-up, and the idea were all quite intriguing. However, the execution left something to be desired.

General plot: Boy and father and mom live together. Raise birds to hunt and stuff. Boy's father goes on crusades. Boy is "foretold" to do something special having to do with King Arthur, Merlin and the sword and all that.
Along with disapointments, jealousy, young love (sorta) and destiny.

The writing style was ok, but the book just didn't move enough...more
Alicja
Coming of age novel centered around a boy & Arthurian legend. This is definitely a 'boy' book but I can't imagine any child/teen would ever pick this up let alone finish it unless he or she were interested in history (Crusades, Catholic Church, King Richard) and/or stories having to do with King Arthur. Be warned: little to no action takes place, the actual quest only occurs 2/3 of the way in. However, it is solidly written, clear to follow, & immerses the reader in the time period witho...more
Barbara Ell
Young Rhodri is not pleased that he must stay home and tend the farm and the falcons and watch over his mother, while his father joined Richard the Lion-heart in the crusades. His father came back a changed man. Now, Rhodri must go on a Arthurian quest to save his father.

This was a good book and I enjoyed it immensely. As Rhodri grows from age 13 until he finishes his quest at 16, we see parts of medieval life and enjoy the retelling of parts of the Athurian legend. The Telling Pool, deep in the...more
Brittany Granger
I wish I could give 1/2 stars, because I would have given it 3 1/2 stars. I enjoyed the story, though I did think it lagged in some parts. It is not an Arthurian legend, but the legends do play a part in the book. I won't so any thing more really, I know I have friends who have this book on their "To-Read" list, so I don't want to spoil anything. I wasn't too overly found of the writing style. It didn't seem to flow smoothly for me. I guess that is the best way to describe it.
Lennie Grace
i was disappointed. i read this after finding it in my school's library. i'd read fire bringer and loved that one. so when i saw something by the same author i jumped at the chance to read more of his work. it was a slow book, to say the least. i like the refernces to king arthor and robin hood. HUGE HOOD FAN! but there wasn't all whole lot of action to it. alot of it was fashbacks and staring at a pond. which is were the title "telling pool" comes form, clearly. but it was a pretty lame book, t...more
Tara
Daniel Clement-Davies writes his own version of a story during the Arthurian time period in his book, "The Telling Pool." It is idle for readers of any age, especially those with an interest in King Arthur and the time period of the 'Knights of the Round Table.' The plot is interesting, along with the character development as the main character, Rhodri Falcon, changes from a boy into the beginnings of a wise, powerful young man for the future. Clement-Davies imagery and writing style are captiva...more
i really love this author but i tell you the ending was kind of frustrating. i wanted there to be an epilog or something i didn't like that there was this sense of unfinished business. but i liked the story other then that there were a lot of elements that i didn't see coming that made the story interesting.

when i first started all i could think about was how annoying this book was going to be if it was all about his perfect life and then he just found some kool stuff. but it was refreshing that...more
Lauren
Lauren added it
Feb 15, 2014
Neill Smith
Rhodri Falco is the son of the master falconer for Pierre De Brackenois. Rhodri meets a blind blacksmith and a fortune teller who tell him of his fate and introduce him to a pond - an oracle that can tell him how events will unfold. When his father is forced to go to the Crusades with his lord, Rhodri sees events unfold that explain the origins of Excalibur, Arthur's sword and its place in his life and in the ensorceling of his father and he is forced into action.
Kristen
Read this with my 12 year old son Steven. We got through all the self-doubt of the young hero. It got a bit tiring but the history of England, the crusades, religeon, feudal system, Knights Templar, Robin Hood and mythology of King Arthur was all interesting and fun. It's a bit gross (the witch licks a beating heart) and some teenage kissing, my son found too much to read with MOOOMMM. We thought it was fine. Not our favorite but worth reading.
Amy
This book came as a complete surprise, and every page was an adventure. The storyline drew heavily from the tales of King Arthur, Lancelot, Guinevere, King Richard the Lion heart, and there was a passing mention of Robin Hood, which I almost missed.

I was slightly dissatisfied with the ending, because I like it when authors tie everything up with a nice little bow, and I still had a few questions...
Amy
Tedious and cliched. The ideas are nice enough and the characters are strong (if simple and flat archetypes). The middle of the book draws out forever, the visions from the pool tiresome and endless. If this story were further revised, honed, and polished, it could be a gem. But as it is, I wouldn't recommend this book unless you have nothing better to do, which seems unlikely.
Cheryl in CC NV
I'm not sure why I picked this up - I've never been interested in Arthurian stuff (except, iirc, The Book of Merlyn three decades ago). Something about it just calls out to me 'read me' though, so I'll try.

Ok, I only got to p. 25. Sorry. I read the reviews and understand that, for me, the book isn't worth my time compared to all the others on my TBR mountain.
Windy
This is another book I'm reading because Emily is reading it for school. I'm only 2 chapters into it, but so far, so good.

***Update- Emily has to turn the book back into school, and I haven't finished yet. I'm not sure if I'll bother getting it from the library. Emily's told me enough about what's happened that I really don't feel the need to finish the book.***
Nicole
It was different reading a novel by David Clement-Davies who's characters were human for the first time. I surely enjoyed the book- it had a wonderful setting and I loved how the nature was described. It was an exciting adventure, and as always, David Clement-Davies really knows how to bring the characters to life. He knows how to write a very good story.
Kennedy
it was good. i like the medevil themes
Tortla
I prefer his books when they're not about people. Also, there were oodles of typos near the end, and that kind of flustered me. In addition, I think I would have found the story more enjoyable if I knew the original story of Arthur and Merlin and whatnot, so I could understand all the allusions that were being made. Overall, quite good.
Angelina Justice
This is a great read from many angles. It will appeal to fans of Arthurian legends. It is a good historical novel that covers things back home during King Richards Crusades. It has adventure,"quest", and coming of age appeal. And definately a touch of fantasy with the magic of the Telling pool, Taliesin(Merlin) and Morgan Le Fay.
Jacquie
The thing I liked most about this light fantasy book was it was set in medieval times, which made it all the more interesting with the society classes, religious divisiveness, trades, etc. If you like the Sword in the Stone story, you'll love this. That said, it was a fun, one-time read I'm selling back to the bookstore.
Age 1 5 Nov 29, 2009 03:55PM
  • Warriors of Alavna (Warriors, #1)
  • The Child Queen: The Tale of Guinevere and King Arthur
  • The Book of Mordred
  • The Wizard Test
  • Here Lies Arthur
  • Crystal Doors (Crystal Doors, #1)
  • I Am Morgan le Fay
  • The Moon Riders (Moon Riders, #1)
  • The Fire of Ares (Spartan Warrior, #1)
  • One for Sorrow, Two for Joy
  • The Seeing Stone (Arthur Trilogy, #1)
  • A Coalition of Lions (The Lion Hunters, #2)
  • Viking Warrior (The Strongbow Saga, #1)
  • S.T.O.R.M.: The Infinity Code (S.T.O.R.M., #1)
  • The Falconer's Knot: A Story of Friars, Flirtation and Foul Play
  • The Secret Country (The Secret Country, #1)
  • Queen of the Summer Stars (Guinevere, #2)
  • The Riddles of Epsilon
David was born in 1964 and went to Westminster School and Edinburgh University. There, Clement-Davies read History and English Literature, specializing in the Italian Renaissance, and Russian Literature and Society. For many years, he dreamed of one day becoming an actor taking a drama course and working in theater. However, he was also interested in writing and soon became a freelance travel jour...more
More about David Clement-Davies...
Fire Bringer The Sight (Sight, #1) Fell (The Sight, #2) The Sight and Fell Spirit: Stallion on the Cimarron (Picture Book)

“I must try to remember that a boy's heart is not a man's, and perhaps a teacher must learn from his pupil, too, eh?” 11 likes