Person of Interest

Person of Interest

3.03 of 5 stars 3.03  ·  rating details  ·  157 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Leslie McHugh is married to an undercover cop. She thinks she knows what it’s like to share her life with a man who spends his days living a lie, who keeps secrets for a living, who trusts no one, not even her. She can see the pressure, the fear, the pent-up rage, and, worst of all, the distance growing between them that Craig promised he’d never allow. But what does she r...more
Published November 27th 2007 by Minotaur Books (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Person of Interest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Person of Interest

Carol
This is the 1st book that I've read by Theresa Schwegel - it was so good that I read it cover to cover in about 3-4 days - looking forward to reading other books written by this author. Theresa Schwegal takes the life of a husband and wife one an undercover cop and his wife that runs a florist shop, and a daughter that seems to be heading on a train wreck and the dynamics that affect this family. Is he having an affair, is she? What's going on with our daughter. The author seems to really have a...more
Jim
Theresa Schwegel tells the dual story of Craig and Leslie McHugh. Craig is an undercover cop, working to penetrate the workings of a gang in Chinatown, and his wife Leslie, who is struggling with the fear that their daughter is out of control with drugs and shady young men. The stresses of Craig's job have driven their marriage into a bad place. They don't talk much anymore, which throws them onto their worst imaginings. In each of their minds, the other is having an affair. Everything is compli...more
Kathleen Hagen
Person of Interest, by Theresa Schwegel, B-plus. Narrated by Cristine McMurdo-Wallis, produced by Recorded Books.

This is the story of the gradual breakdown of the McHugh family. Craig is a police officer working under cover, keeping his work from his family, thus not letting them know how much danger he and they were in. Lesley is bored and lonely, not having much companionship from her husband, not knowing where he is most of the time, and suspecting that he is having an affair. Lesley works in...more
Steven Key Meyers
Schwegel has written five gritty books featuring members of the Chicago Police Department in credible, beautifully detailed, heart-pounding situations. Any given paragraph verges on good literary fiction; the reader suspects she feels constrained by her genre, however expert in it she is. In Person of Interest, undercover cop Craig McHugh is working a case that contributes—not least because its necessary secrecy—to troubles in his marriage. His wife, Leslie McHugh, contemplates stepping out, eve...more
Sera
Aug 14, 2010 Sera rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 1
Recommended to Sera by: EW
I really enjoyed this book. I haven't read a thriller-suspense type book this good since I discovered Lee Child's Jack Reacher series. Books of this nature are generally plot-driven with a minor attempt by the author to get the reader to see into the characters, especially the cop, detective, etc. who is trying to solve the crime in question. What makes this book so special is the depth of character development that Schwegel is able to establish with multiple people in the story. Her success at...more
Jeanne
I chose to read this novel because I read a great review of it somewhere. Now I can't remember what the review said, or why the novel sounded so appealing to me.

This is the story of Craig McHugh, a cop with a not-so-great marriage and a not-so-great career. He's currently working on a case that seems rather convoluted and involves gangs that work out of Chinatown, as well as Uptown. Oh, yeah, this is allegedly a Chicago-based story. Anyway, Craig's wife and daughter get caught up in his incompet...more
Djrmel
Schwegel knows her setting (Chicago and the near 'burbs) well enough that that alone made this a good read. Then, she populated her story with flawed humans, my very favorite kind to read about! At the center of the story is a married couple who hit the wall in their marriage at the same time. This comes at a bad time, as the husband is an cop on a case that is far closer to his home than he can imagine, and the wife is looking to greener pastures just when her daughter's accommodating boyfriend...more
Rach
Eh. It was good, definitely picked up the last half--the first half was slow enough to be torture. But it ended well, if not a little cutesy for my taste. Not bad, but not really her best, either.
Marianne
First time with this author. Realistic and gritty. I'll probably read more of her books.
Cathi95
(Mystery 2007) I stuck with this almost half way through and realized I was not enjoying it at all, and flipped to the end to skim and see if it got better. The answer was not. It is written in the present at all time, a device that rarely works as well as the author thinks it will. The family, wife, husband and teen daughter, are disengaged from each other, detached from their lives and the world at large. I just did not care about them any more than they seemed to care about each other.
Jan
I didn't care for the book until I was half way through it and then I had to finish because I wanted to know how it would play out. Although you got a clear description of the husband, Craig, Leslie wasn't physically portrayed as much as she was emotionally portrayed. This author is new for me and I'm not acquainted with writing enough to know whether that was intentional or not.
Sally
This was the first book I've read of the author and I enjoyed it. I think overall for this genre I would rate it as average, in a lazy generalisation I've read better but have also read far worse. There was nothing really unexpected about the story though it did keep a good pace and there was sufficient building of the suspense, drama and action to keep me turning the page.
Rory
I don't know if other people will like this book as much as I did; it really struck what felt like a personal chord. Maybe because I'm currently fascinated by the dynamics of others' marriages. And because my husband reports on a lot of Chicago crime, and I was interested in the undercover cop's experience. Anyway, I DO recommend this to people at all into crime novels.
Jessica
Not the most flattering portrait of my local boys in blue, but probably truer to life than the oversentimentalized version you find with other writers. Schwegel paces it well, but the events have a certain breathless brinksmanship that keeps it from being truly believable as a plot. Still, she's a solid writer - I'll keep an eye out for her work in the future.
Jody
I gave this audio book 3 cds worth of listening an couldn't find it in me to care about the characters. Craig's an undercover cop with a failing marriage to Leslie. I have no idea who the person of interest was. Their daughter? Her boyfriend? Shady Asian gang guys? I always thought I could listen to anything but obviously not.
Beth
A bit of a train wreck of a book--the main female character was driving me crazy with her alternating passivity and self-destructive behavior, while the main male character was acting the macho idiot much of the time. But the complexity of the plot and the level of suspense kept me in the story, despite those problems.
Sam
it was okay, I found myself skimming after awhile as I was getting bored, but not enough to totally put it down, but not wanting to read all the details. I found I didn't like the character Craig very much and ended up fastfowarding through his part of the storyline and concentrating more on Leslie's.
Maggie
Entertainment Weekly gave this book a high grade, so I thought I would check it out. I didn't like it as much as they did. I didn't really get into the suspense. One aspect I did like was the Chicago setting- many of the streets and locations that were described were familiar.
Joanne Wisniewski
Jan 27, 2008 Joanne Wisniewski rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: mystery fans, suspense fans
Terrific insights into what being the wife of an undercover cop must be like. Many plot twists and characters made you feel for their plight even if you didn't like them. Took longer to read this book because my schedule was busy but I couldn't quit as I needed to know how it would end.
Steve
For lovers of mystery novels, Theresa Schwegel writes another great tale involving a Chicago cop, his wife and teenage daughter. The cop is trying to bust up a Chinese crime ring. His wife has secrets to keep and their daughter is a typical adolescent nuisance.
Claire
Good enough writer I suppose but it's clear she knows it. This is the laziest of her books that I've read so as evidenced by her pretentious choice not to use prepositions all too often. Only James Joyce gets away with that and I don't read him anymore either.
Carol
LANGUAGE!!! Sad, dark story of a family on the edge because the husband becomes too involved with his police work and forgets his family and their needs. And the teenage daughter turns to the dark side and even the wife flirts with finding "love" somewhere else.
Melissa
I like mysteries, but they are often a little too "fun" of a read with way too many things conveniently falling into place. Schwegel's latest is much grittier without becoming unpleasant. Overall, it was a good read.
Corny
Jan 12, 2008 Corny rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Corny by: My wife
Shelves: thrillers
A thriller based on miscommunications between husband, wife and daughter. I found it totally bland and preposterous. I also am prejudiced against books written in the present tense. Would not recommend
Trish
The only character who didn't annoy me was Niko, quasi-boyfriend of the bratty teen daughter of an undercover cop and his disaffected wife, who is a charming jazz musician. Everyone else I wanted to smack.
Bonnie
This is the 1st book that I've read by Theresa Schwegel - it was so good that I read it cover to cover in less than a day - looking forward to reading other books written by this author.
Robin
I couldn't get into this book. It was about an undercover cop in Chicago. While he is on a case, his wife and daughter were also involved. It was too far-fetched.
Susan
Narrated by Christine McMurdough Wallace. I stayed with this book even though it didn't grab my attention right away. It was ok, but not great.
Robyn Mclafferty
A good police investigation story with an interesting twist at the end. Not the most captivating book I've ever read, but certainly enjoyable.
Amy
The family in this book is spiraling down and falling apart. Yet, thru the mess they are able to redeem themselves and pull together.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Theresa Schwegel was born and raised in Chicago, Illinois. She is the author of four crime novels set in and around the Chicago area. Her debut, Officer Down, was published in 2005, and subsequently won the Edgar® Award for Best First Novel. In 2008, she received the 21st Century Award from the Chicago Public Library Foundation in recognition for an emerging artist with ties to Chicago. Her fifth...more
More about Theresa Schwegel...
Officer Down The Good Boy Last Known Address Probable Cause Eigen vuur