Start by marking “Walk Like a Buddha: Even if Your Boss Sucks, Your Ex Is Torturing You, and You're Hungover Again” as Want to Read:

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  249 ratings  ·  36 reviews
From the author of the best-selling Buddha Walks into a Bar . . ., tips for living with integrity, compassion, and happinessfrom his popular Huffington Post advice column.

Since the summer of 2010, young Buddhist teacher Lodro Rinzler has been writing a popular advice column for the Huffington Post and the Interdependence Project called "What Would Sid Do?" ("Sid" being Lo
Published October 15th 2013 by Shambhala

To ask other readers questions about Walk Like a Buddha, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Walk Like a Buddha

Katie
Oh, man oh man, oh yay! Listen. I have tried to read books by the Dalai Lama, et. al., but I just couldn't get through them. Not because I didn't appreciate the message - I appreciated AND agreed with most of it. But I think the problem is applying ideas to every day life, and "Walk Like a Buddha" totally bridges the gaps between philosophy, spirituality, and modernity. At the same time, Rinzler refuses to be instructional, repeating constantly that he does not have all the answers, and the key ...more
Tanya McGinnity
Lodro Rinzler’s first book ‘The Buddha Walks Into a Bar: A Guide to Life for a New Generation’ received some sweet praise on this old blog last year so I was pleasantly pleased to bury my little nose into his latest book ‘Walk Like a Buddha: Even if Your Boss Sucks, Your Ex Is Torturing You, and You’re Hungover Again’

The basis of the book comes from Lodro’s advice column ‘What would Sid Do?’ which addresses the trials and tribulations of Generation Y and offers workable solutions for practicing
Mugen
IMO this book isn't about surviving with your shitty boss, or overcoming some anger issues or your ex wife. It's the author telling us about buddhism. I'm giving it a bad rating because the title was completely misleading for me. I checked the first couple of pages on Amazon and developed quite different expectations from it. To me it felt more like a zen, idealistic kind of thinking.

Sorry but I don't agree that it's possible to do any activity 100%. If you're eating you're 100% eating, doing so
Audrey Coleman
An interesting look at the application of Buddhism. I'm used to a lot of Buddhist books, dense in theory, but little in the way of application of the concepts. It was a very welcome breath of fresh air.
The question/answer format works well. In the first chapter "Wake up like a Buddha," there are basic questions about Buddhism (like "why meditate?" and "how do I slow down in a fast-paced world?").In the next chapter, "Play Like a Buddha," there are questions about drinking, how to deal with drug
Briana Ford
This is a good book for 20 and 30 something's who feel like there's gotta be more to life. For entry level, part time, or non-Buddhists alike, Lodro explains different situations and scenarios in life, love, and work in a "what would Buddha do" format. All in all, we're all inherently good and peace is only a meditation away.
Tara
I really was expecting more out of this book. I thought I'd get some smiles at least. But it's all just straight advice column type answers with globs of philosophy thrown in. There were a few bits of interesting philosophy, but it really didn't help me with my sucky boss. Too bad.
Bob Mcdonald
I have loved Lodro's view of the buddhists way of life since his first book "Buddha walks into a bar" this one answers some tricky questions that might come along the journey... and has been quite helpful as a map for that journey.
David
Advice on applying Buddhist principles to daily life --- work hassles, food choices, relationship ups and downs, etc. etc. Comes across as a funny, down-to-earth, wise guy.

Might have enjoyed it more in bite-sized column format than reading straight through. The individual responses often struck me as compassionate and useful, but it does get repetitive. Lots of things turn out not to have a definite yes/no answer but instead depend on your intention; you should apply a deliberate, mindful, appro
Leeah Rod
Awesome! I'm just getting into a Buddhism mindset and starting to play with the idea of meditation and this is such a great beginner book! Love it - I'll for sure pick up his other books
R
Apr 13, 2014 R rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: wisdom
"It was OK" is about all I can give it. I felt like the book kind of tried to be an advice column book and kind of tried to be integrated philosophy and did "meh" at both. Rather than having a coherent whole picture treatment of how to deal with difficulties, then getting into details, the author went right to details. I didn't realize that this was the author's second book, and perhaps I should have read that first to get what I was looking for. However, I just felt like the book's format didn' ...more
Dana
In short, I really loved this book. I went into the book being very skeptical. I have read a LOT of "hip" self-help, advice and Buddhism books lately so I was worried that this was going to adopt annoying slang like the others (I'm looking at you, Kris Carr and Danielle LaPorte), but it didn't. It stayed very traditional Buddhist. This is basically a wonderful primer for someone who is just getting into their meditation practice, but it's also wonderful for someone who has been doing this for ye ...more
Lisa Pool
I have been interested in Buddhism for some time but most books on the subject are boring and not relevant. This book on the other hand is written for contemporary Buddhists who are looking for a guide to living in 2014. It is a quick fun read and basically the lesson is do no harm to others or yourself. An example would be the ban on intoxicants - which is difficult for a young American to follow - so, instead of NO intoxicants, it's be responsible with the intoxicants (don't do anything that i ...more
Simone Pedroso
I enjoyed most of the book, even though I am a bit ahead of some of the big questions asked/answered (like your first interview, drugs, abusive relationships and so on). The most value this book brought to me was the realisation of the deepest objective (or non-objective) during meditation, and the practice of kindness. The author is extremely kind and with that you learn how to be kind to yourself. I even got motivated to start some Buddhism reads!
Barbs Lodge
i am not a fan of self help books but THIS one is brilliant. you have to be prepared for his use of the F%*k word but his down to earth approach is hilarious and uplifting. a very good little book.
Oh, and he won't coerce you into giving up smoking or night-clubbing either ;-)
Alexis
Dec 28, 2014 Alexis rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
I read this book after hearing the author on a Buddhist podcast that I listen to called Buddhist geeks. This is a very basic question and answer book that explains Buddhist principles. It's a fast and easy read and I really enjoyed. I'd recommend it to anyone who wants to learn more about Buddhism and how to apply it to modern life.
Tim Weakley

Loved it so much I went out to buy his first book, which I'm reading now. A sometimes irreverent , but always on point look at modern issues and Buddhism. Would Buddha use Facebook? Very good.
David Rickert
I liked this book a lot even though it is written for Millenials and I'm a Gen X'er. Still, even in the stuff that had no bearing one life (like Match.com) there was enough Buddhist stuff to be worth reading. Great application for modern times and issues.
De Carter
Great writing

A human approach able to any one interested in the 8 fold path I enjoyed it and would recommend this man's gentle humor .
l
Helen
Really enjoyed this, great read, great advice, wonderful idea about how to live like a Buddha in a modern world (even if you are not Buddhist!)
Brenna
I know this sounds weird; but this book is almost like The Teachings of Buddhism Lite. It can be hard to discern text written hundreds of years ago, but this book gets to the heart of Buddhism. Lordo does a great job of helping people relate real life situations and be honest with how they live their lives.
Michelle Only Wants to Read
The book has practical advice for those of us who want to apply a Buddhist approach in our lives but are confronted with the many challenges of modern life. Not everyone is meant to pursue a monastic lifestyle! I loved his kind approach on the subjects discussed in the book and his constant reminder that it's in our hands to stay present and to be kind through life. Some chapters didn't apply to me, but I still found the information useful. I was lucky enough to take the 6-week online "Walk Like ...more
Christine J.
I loved the tone of this book. Great for someone like me who is new to the Buddhism thing, unsure of what I want to gain from it other than being a kinder, more present person.
Carol
resisted it at first but it actually had some good stuff in it
Amanda Coffeen
Subtitle is misleading. Barely has anything pertaining to dealing with an ex. That aspect was disappointing.
Jessica Jude
Wasn't a huge fan of the Q&A format - it makes the whole thing seem less like a book and more like a Buddhist FAQ - but it was effective in getting the point across while covering a lot of every day issues. Definitely written with a younger generation in mind, but even so, Rinzler seems entirely genuine and gentle and always approaches the questions with that in mind. I liked his first book better, but he still makes Buddhism feel accessible and easy to practice, instead of bogging you down ...more
Christopher Farrell
Good information, informal style, but for some reason it took me a while to drag myself through this one. Good starting spot for someone interested in the faith.
Sam Barry
The Buddha walks into a bar, with its firm footing in applying Buddhist tenets to the challenges of contemporary American culture, was so helpful to me. While many themes and questions repeat here, Rinzler gives us more--more stories,more sutras, more practices to awaken our bodhicitta. My bat signal is flashing a giant L, Lodro. Well done.
Caterina
Focus is mainly meditation. Much preferred Buddha Walks into a Bar ~ encompasses more thought(s) on the subject ~ my copy has a sprinkle of stardust on most every page.
MaryAnn
This is a book I pick up from time to time to read a chapter. Kind of Buddha for dummies - witty, fun yet still informative. The message being that life can be that much more bearable for those who are honest, wise and compassionate.
  • The 12-Step Buddhist: Enhance Recovery from Any Addiction
  • The Hidden Lamp: Stories from Twenty-Five Centuries of Awakened Women
  • How to Be Compassionate: a Handbook for Creating Inner Peace and a Happier World
  • Shell Shocked: My Life with the Turtles, Flo & Eddie, and Frank Zappa, Etc.
  • The Uninnocent: Stories
  • The Buddha Is Still Teaching: Contemporary Buddhist Wisdom
  • Iep!
  • Days Like These
  • Born to Blog: Building Your Blog for Personal and Business Success One Post at a Time
  • Marilyn Monroe: On the Couch
  • Secrets of Meditation: A Practical Guide to Inner Peace and Personal Transformation
  • Mindfulness: A Practical Guide to Awakening
  • The Only Thing That Matters (Conversations with Humanity, #2)
  • A Dream So Big: Our Unlikely Journey to End the Tears of Hunger
  • 5 Days to a Clutter-Free House: Quick, Easy Ways to Clear Up Your Space
  • The Now Effect: How a Mindful Moment Can Change the Rest of Your Life
  • The Strange Gift of Gwendolyn Golden
  • The Kennedy Chronicles: The Golden Age of MTV Through Rose-Colored Glasses
Lodro is a practitioner and teacher in the Shambhala Buddhist lineage. He began meditating as a child and sat retreats as a teenager, even going as far as attending a silent month-long retreat during which he shaved his head and took monastic robes and vows.

When he left for college he received two heirlooms from his parents. From his father, a mala which he had used to recite mantras. From his mot
More about Lodro Rinzler...
The Buddha Walks into a Bar...: A Guide to Life for a New Generation The Buddha Walks into the Office: A Guide to Livelihood for a New Generation Sit Like a Buddha: A Pocket Guide to Meditation Camina como un Buda: Aunque estés de resaca, tu jefe te agobie y tu ex te torture CAMINA COMO UN BUDA

“The Tibetan Buddhist teacher Chögyam Trungpa Rinpoche once pointed out, “If you put one hundred percent of your heart into facing yourself, then you connect with this unconditional goodness. Whereas, if you only put fifty percent into the situation, you are trying to bargain with the situation, and nothing very much will happen.” 2 likes