All Fishermen Are Liars: True Tales from the Dry Dock Bar

All Fishermen Are Liars: True Tales from the Dry Dock Bar

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  498 ratings  ·  67 reviews
Just before Christmas, Linda meets up with her best friend and fellow fisherman Alden Leeman for lunch and a drink at the Dry Dock, a well-worn watering hole in Portland, Maine. Alden, the captain of Linda's first fishing expedition, has seen his share of mishaps and adventures at sea. When Linda shares memories of navigating her ship through one of the craziest storms she...more
Published July 6th 2005 by Hyperion (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about All Fishermen Are Liars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All Fishermen Are Liars

The Endurance by Caroline AlexanderEndurance by Alfred LansingSailing Alone around the World by Joshua SlocumMaiden Voyage by Tania AebiKon-Tiki by Thor Heyerdahl
Sailing Cruising
125th out of 142 books — 112 voters
Tropical Dreams by Kelly CozzoneBeach Bum Brett by David D. D'AguannoThe Island by Elin HilderbrandThe Beach Club by Elin HilderbrandSummer People by Elin Hilderbrand
Summer Beach Reads (all stories set in beach towns)
96th out of 136 books — 141 voters

More lists with this book...

Mary Louise DeMoss
After visiting the enchanting state of Maine, I became obsessed with everything and everyone connected to it. Luckily, I was working for a bookstore at the time and could borrow copies of books in which I was interested before purchasing them. In this case, I could've purchased this book right away and not have wasted a penny. Ms. Greenlaw did a wonderful job in relaying the many tales she's gathered from personal experiences as well as those of her fellow fishermen. I really enjoyed this book a...more
Nfmarshall
My third of Greenlaw's books, the first being The Hungry Ocean, a parallel story to The Perfect Storm in some ways, as well as a memoir of Greenlaw's experiences as the first female swordfish boat captain.

AFAL is a series of short stories, set in the Dry Dock Bar in Portland, Maine, as a "conversation" between Greenlaw and an older friend, for whose health Greenlaw is concerned and trying to figure out a way to suggest he slow down his ambitions on the water.

Stories vary, some very funny, some...more
Paula
I know next-to-nothing about commercial fishing, navigation, piloting a large motorized vessel, or recruiting manpower for a month-long quest for swordfish, so I was a little out of my comfort zone with this book. But Greenlaw does a pretty good job of explaining the lingo, even though sometimes even the explanation didn't quite make things clear to me. The stories collected here are sometimes funny, sometimes tragic, but all interesting, in part because they are so far from my own experiences....more
Dale
I didn't finish this book, but not because the writing wasn't good. I just lost interest because I reached a point where it just felt like talking for talking's sake.

Others rank this highly, and I don't disagree. I simply didn't catch the spirit of it. Perhaps it was one of those days when even my favorite soft drink would have tasted flat.
Susy
I first 'met' Linda Greenlaw as the luckier captain of a sword fishing boat caught in The Perfect Storm. As captain of the Hannah Boden, she desperately tried to help the Andrea Gale find safe harbor. She's a good fisherman - yes, that's how she refers to herself and a good writer. Still, this book felt a little forced. Rather than her telling stories of her experiences, she weaves together a collection of fishing stories she's collected over the years as an attempt to get a mentor to consider r...more
Linda
Linda Greenlaw’s third book tells “true tales from the Dry Dock Bar” – a collection of “fish tales” that tell of everything from storms at sea to a family fishing outing with her nephews. The occasion for telling these tales is a lunch meeting with an old friend, Alden, who has had heart trouble, with Linda trying to convince him that he ought to retire from fishing. As others at the bar join their table to listen to their stories, the afternoon grows into evening, and the stories still come. Th...more
Judy
Linda Greenlaw has met her best friend for lunch to talk to him about his failing health and to gently prod him toward retirement and certainly to warn him about going out on his fishing boat alone. However, it's a winter's afternoon at the Dry Dock bar in Portland, Maine and the since the bar is full of professional fishermen, the talk turns to stories about the sea. Linda relates the story of her "perfect storm" and then the other fishermen chime in with their best sea tales--largest fish, hig...more
gwen
My love for Linda Greenlaw continues unchecked. The subject of this book -- fishermen's tall tales -- wasn't quite as compelling as her previous books' topics, and it didn't flow terribly well, but I love her clear writing style and her ability to immerse you in a world you've never known. Also, she reads the book herself, and there's something endearing about it; she's clearly a writer and a fisherman/woman, not an actor, and she hurries through the text like she can't wait to be finished. But...more
Chantal Shaw
You'll get a good laugh!
David Ward
All Fishermen Are Liars: True Tales From the Drydock Bar by Linda Greenlaw (Hyperion 2004) (799.16) - Linda Greenlaw first came to public attention when the book The Perfect Storm pegged her as one of the heroes that saved lives during one of the worst commercial fishing disasters ever on the Grand Banks. She is still a successful fishing captain, and she has parlayed her notoriety into a successful career as an author and story teller. This is a series of her tales. My rating: 6.5/10, finished...more
Julie Barrett
All Fisherman are Liars by Linda Greenlaw
Dry dock bar is located in Portland, Maine. This book is about tales from others and her own from this bar and others along the coast.
We learn of her fishing career with Captain Alden and how over time they are BFF's. Life lessons are learned with nothing but open sea around you.
Excuses are listed at the beginning of each chapter as the subject changes.
Many trips and what happened are told and thoughts they did the best they could with what they had..
Amy
Reading Linda's books has become a nightly tradition in my home. My husband and I love her tales of the sea and all of her fishing adventures. Having spent all of my childhood summers on the east coast I relate to her descriptions of the weather, people, and sense of place. I love that through her writing I can escape to a longliner boat and feel like I'm earning my keep as a greenhorn, feeling so small and insignificant on the big blue black sea.
==Anne== Byrne
I can picture these guys all hanging out at the Dry Dock in Portland talking about their daily take. I wish I was around to hear them and buy them a beer. Lobstering and fishing are such difficult professions, it's hard to believe someone would choose them because they were looking for an escape. These are Maine people - good hardy stock. Reading about them makes life here with all the cold, the beauty, and the tourists seem absolutely normal.
Mary Schallenberger
Not as good as the Lobster Chronicles. I still enjoyed this book, it was an easy read and had the same good Linda Greenlaw writing style as in the Lobster Chronicles. I wouldn't read it again, because it was just like a rambling trail going nowhere, did not have the same reflections on life and personal inquiry as her other book. It seemed to be somewhat flat. If you are looking for an easy pleasant read, then this is a good book for that.
Diane
I bought this on cassette at Fantastic Thrift. A lady commercial fisherman tells her stories and those of others told on one night at a bar/restaurant near the docks. It's a window into a different world. It made me think about what it would be like to live a life more focused on the present. Fishermen, it appears, at least the author's storytelling friends, mostly just live in the moment, planning no further than the current job.
Trish Remley
I've read three other books by Linda Greenlaw. The Hungry Ocean was facinating, the Lobster Chronicles good , the mystery novel and this one - All Fisherman are Liars was ok. I did enjoy the adventures told. Each book I do read of hers does give me an additional glimpse into the world at sea which I really do enjoy. This was this year's when in Maine - read about Maine.
kurdt105
I really liked this book. I like Linda Greenlaws style of writing a lot and also sea stories. The story that holds all the individual stories together is simple but nice, you never feel lost. And the individual stories are really good. They are interesting and very exciting, they make you miss your stop when you read that book on a train.
Aimy
I dream of moving to Maine someday. Not sure why... Linda Greenlaw allows me to live vicariously through her writing. I've read everything she has written. She has a way with words. Taking a subject that may not sound interesting, she delivers books you will enjoy, while learning something, and even laughing at the same time.
Anna
Greenlaw is a good storyteller -- pretty amazing all of the nutty things that happened to her! A highlight was the story about her nephews ("Navigation") and the one about delivering a boat in the Caribbean. Two of the most promising stories ended a bit anticlimactically, but it's still an enjoyable, quick read.
Diane
Another wonderful book from the author of The Lobster Chronicles. Linda is one of the few female fishing boat captains in the states. She is also a wonderful writer and this is a gathering of stories from fishermen off the east coast told in the author’s typical witty and touching manner - another winner.
I was thoroughly entertained and amazed by this collection of stories. I am looking forward to reading Greenlaw's two other books this summer while camped out at Acadia. It seems the perfect setting for some more ocean tales. I will also most definitely be stopping in at the Dry Dock for a drink or two.
Roadhouse
The basis of this book is a collection of stories told through the context of sitting in a bar with old friend who has health problems, and she wants to talk to him about it.

The reality of this book, is it is a bunch of boring stories told while she tries to meddle in an old man's life.
Andrea
Hilarious. Linda Greenlaw is an excellent writer. Her non-fiction "The Hungry Ocean" about her days as a swordfish boat captain was gripping drama. But her two non-fiction "humorous" books are 180 degrees the opposite, but just as well written. Very very funny. See also "The Lobster Chronicles".
Walker
Fairly lighthearted and easy to read. It lacked substance and wasn't particularly funny, but it was interesting to learn about lobstering and working on a boat. The author seems likable and has interesting stories, but it's not an amazing or life-changing book.
Debbie
Since this book contained short stories it was one that I could pick up and put down often. I have been at it for a couple of months. Linda is a good story teller and even though I am not a fisherman or woman..=) it was a good light read.
Megargee
After the Hungry Ocean and the Lobster Chronicles, I was disappointed in this collection of fish stories ostensibly told in the Dry Dock Bar. I was afraid Greenlaw was running out of material. Fortunately, some of her later books were better.
Ryann
I listened to the audio version narrated by the offer. It was a series of stories woven into one of her days spent at the Dry Dock Bar. It wasn't amazing, but it was light-hearted and fairly quick, though it could have been even shorter.
Eireanne
This book ended up on my list because of the connection to The Perfect Storm (which is also on my list) but I just couldn't get into it. Nice if you're looking for great fishing stories, but that wasn't what I was looking for.
Alexa
Not Ms. Greenlaw's best, but still, if you're itching for tales from the sea but not entirely about the sea, or if you're like me and itching to pretend you know more about the sea than you do...this is the book for you.
Deb
Interesting fishing stories. I enjoyed it. Linda Greenlaw grew up in Topsham and worked off of Orr's Island for the early part of her career. Alden Leeman is the focus of the book--He still fishes off of Orr's.
  • Working on the Edge: Surviving In the World's Most Dangerous Profession: King Crab Fishing on Alaska's High Seas
  • Chicago Lightning
  • The Funniest Cop Stories Ever
  • Best Little Stories from the Civil War: More than 100 true stories
  • Myth and Magic: The Art of John Howe
  • Get Your Tongue Out of My Mouth, I'm Kissing You Goodbye!
  • Rowing to Latitude: Journeys Along the Arctic's Edge
  • Looking for a Ship
  • The Boat Who Wouldn't Float
  • A Voyage for Madmen
  • Bad Spirits (Kate Jones Thriller, #1-5)
  • Swashbuckling Fantasy
  • No Rest for the Wicked
  • If I Ever Get Back to Georgia, I'm Gonna Nail My Feet to the Ground
  • Comfort to the Enemy and Other Carl Webster Stories
  • The Terrible Hours: The Greatest Submarine Rescue in History
  • Quiet As They Come
  • I See You Made an Effort: Compliments, Indignities, and Survival Stories from the Edge of 50
Linda Greenlaws three bestselling books about life as a commercial fisherman -- THE HUNGRY OCEAN (1999), THE LOBSTER CHRONICLES (2002) and ALL FISHERMEN ARE LIARS (2004) -- have climbed as high as #2 on the New York Times bestseller list. She is the winner of the U.S. Maritime Literature Award in 2003, and the New England Book Award for nonfiction in 2004. Time Magazine called her 2005 RECIPES FRO...more
More about Linda Greenlaw...
The Hungry Ocean: A Swordboat Captain's Journey The Lobster Chronicles: Life on a Very Small Island Slipknot Seaworthy: A Swordboat Captain Returns to the Sea Lifesaving Lessons: Notes from an Accidental Mother

“The only thing worse than feeling that you are going to die is the realization that you probably won't.” 3 likes