Start by marking “All Fishermen Are Liars: True Tales from the Dry Dock Bar” as Want to Read:
All Fishermen Are Liars: True Tales from the Dry Dock Bar

All Fishermen Are Liars: True Tales from the Dry Dock Bar

inda Greenlaw, the New York Times bestselling author of The Lobster Chronicles and The Hungry Ocean, brings us a riveting and uproarious collection of tales of fishing and adventure at sea.
Published July 6th 2005 by Hachette Books (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about All Fishermen Are Liars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All Fishermen Are Liars

Debbie Zapata
Dec 25, 2016 Debbie Zapata rated it liked it
Shelves: douglas
One of the details I like about December is having the chance to read a few of those books I meant to get to earlier during the year. GR friend Ladiibbug and I swapped a few books (was it really back in 2015?!) and I have finally been able to read them. LB, sorry I took so long, but many many thanks for the wonderful book!

All Fisherman Are Liars takes us to the Dry Dock bar for a lunchtime discussion between the author and her best friend Alden. She wants to tell him to slow down and give up fis
Mary Louise DeMoss
Oct 02, 2007 Mary Louise DeMoss rated it really liked it
After visiting the enchanting state of Maine, I became obsessed with everything and everyone connected to it. Luckily, I was working for a bookstore at the time and could borrow copies of books in which I was interested before purchasing them. In this case, I could've purchased this book right away and not have wasted a penny. Ms. Greenlaw did a wonderful job in relaying the many tales she's gathered from personal experiences as well as those of her fellow fishermen. I really enjoyed this book a ...more
Claire
Feb 23, 2017 Claire rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fantastic read! It was well written, and the author told each story so that the reader could vividly picture the happenings and characters.
Michal Angelo
Feb 06, 2016 Michal Angelo rated it really liked it
* I gave this book 4 Stars instead of 5 if only because I know that the author is capable of much better work (a.la The Hungry Ocean) and I can imagine her spinning this story by a fire (or bar) in her homeland of Maine.
* I was first introduced to Capt. Greenlaw through Sebastian Junger's The Perfect Storm: A True Story of Men Against the Sea and then through her aboved named book Hungry Ocean & The Lobster Chronicles: Life on a Very Small Island.
* I'm sure she had at least as much fun writ
Paula
Apr 03, 2012 Paula rated it liked it
I know next-to-nothing about commercial fishing, navigation, piloting a large motorized vessel, or recruiting manpower for a month-long quest for swordfish, so I was a little out of my comfort zone with this book. But Greenlaw does a pretty good job of explaining the lingo, even though sometimes even the explanation didn't quite make things clear to me. The stories collected here are sometimes funny, sometimes tragic, but all interesting, in part because they are so far from my own experiences. ...more
Susy
Sep 24, 2010 Susy rated it liked it
I first 'met' Linda Greenlaw as the luckier captain of a sword fishing boat caught in The Perfect Storm. As captain of the Hannah Boden, she desperately tried to help the Andrea Gale find safe harbor. She's a good fisherman - yes, that's how she refers to herself and a good writer. Still, this book felt a little forced. Rather than her telling stories of her experiences, she weaves together a collection of fishing stories she's collected over the years as an attempt to get a mentor to consider r ...more
Linda
Jun 27, 2012 Linda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biog-and-memoir
Linda Greenlaw’s third book tells “true tales from the Dry Dock Bar” – a collection of “fish tales” that tell of everything from storms at sea to a family fishing outing with her nephews. The occasion for telling these tales is a lunch meeting with an old friend, Alden, who has had heart trouble, with Linda trying to convince him that he ought to retire from fishing. As others at the bar join their table to listen to their stories, the afternoon grows into evening, and the stories still come. Th ...more
Shannon
Jul 28, 2015 Shannon rated it liked it
I picked up this book purely for fun. With graduate school starting I wanted one last shot to read something out of my genre before "the games" began. To enjoy exciting fishing adventures vicariously through Linda Greenlaw seemed like a perfect denouement to the summer holidays.

There are some interesting, entertaining tales in this collection. All stories revolve around two old friends and fishers, one trying to persuade the other to retire for health reasons. The tales and anecdotes they share
Judy
Jan 30, 2012 Judy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Linda Greenlaw has met her best friend for lunch to talk to him about his failing health and to gently prod him toward retirement and certainly to warn him about going out on his fishing boat alone. However, it's a winter's afternoon at the Dry Dock bar in Portland, Maine and the since the bar is full of professional fishermen, the talk turns to stories about the sea. Linda relates the story of her "perfect storm" and then the other fishermen chime in with their best sea tales--largest fish, hig ...more
Nfmarshall
Aug 10, 2014 Nfmarshall rated it liked it
My third of Greenlaw's books, the first being The Hungry Ocean, a parallel story to The Perfect Storm in some ways, as well as a memoir of Greenlaw's experiences as the first female swordfish boat captain.

AFAL is a series of short stories, set in the Dry Dock Bar in Portland, Maine, as a "conversation" between Greenlaw and an older friend, for whose health Greenlaw is concerned and trying to figure out a way to suggest he slow down his ambitions on the water.

Stories vary, some very funny, some
gwen g
Nov 14, 2009 gwen g rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My love for Linda Greenlaw continues unchecked. The subject of this book -- fishermen's tall tales -- wasn't quite as compelling as her previous books' topics, and it didn't flow terribly well, but I love her clear writing style and her ability to immerse you in a world you've never known. Also, she reads the book herself, and there's something endearing about it; she's clearly a writer and a fisherman/woman, not an actor, and she hurries through the text like she can't wait to be finished. But ...more
David Ward
All Fishermen Are Liars: True Tales From the Drydock Bar by Linda Greenlaw (Hyperion 2004) (799.16). Linda Greenlaw first came to public attention when the book The Perfect Storm pegged her as a hero that saved lives during one of the worst commercial fishing disasters ever on the Grand Banks. She is still a successful fishing captain, and she has parlayed her notoriety into a successful career as an author and story teller. This is a series of her tales. My rating: 6.5/10, finished 2007.
'
Julie Barrett
Feb 02, 2013 Julie Barrett rated it it was amazing
All Fisherman are Liars by Linda Greenlaw
Dry dock bar is located in Portland, Maine. This book is about tales from others and her own from this bar and others along the coast.
We learn of her fishing career with Captain Alden and how over time they are BFF's. Life lessons are learned with nothing but open sea around you.
Excuses are listed at the beginning of each chapter as the subject changes.
Many trips and what happened are told and thoughts they did the best they could with what they had..
Amy
Jun 17, 2011 Amy rated it really liked it
Reading Linda's books has become a nightly tradition in my home. My husband and I love her tales of the sea and all of her fishing adventures. Having spent all of my childhood summers on the east coast I relate to her descriptions of the weather, people, and sense of place. I love that through her writing I can escape to a longliner boat and feel like I'm earning my keep as a greenhorn, feeling so small and insignificant on the big blue black sea.
Cara Achterberg
Jun 09, 2016 Cara Achterberg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: beach-read, memoir
This was such a fun read. Greenlaw has a gift for story-telling. I'm still waiting for her to write a novel. Her stories are so easy to picture and make subtle commentary on not just the fishing life, but life in general. This book was pure pleasure. I really would have given it 4.5 stars if I was allowed, only because I didn't like the "bar snacks" breaking up the stories. If you like a good fish story, grab this book (or any of her others)
Diane
Oct 19, 2008 Diane rated it liked it
I bought this on cassette at Fantastic Thrift. A lady commercial fisherman tells her stories and those of others told on one night at a bar/restaurant near the docks. It's a window into a different world. It made me think about what it would be like to live a life more focused on the present. Fishermen, it appears, at least the author's storytelling friends, mostly just live in the moment, planning no further than the current job.
Mary Schallenberger
Mar 06, 2012 Mary Schallenberger rated it liked it
Not as good as the Lobster Chronicles. I still enjoyed this book, it was an easy read and had the same good Linda Greenlaw writing style as in the Lobster Chronicles. I wouldn't read it again, because it was just like a rambling trail going nowhere, did not have the same reflections on life and personal inquiry as her other book. It seemed to be somewhat flat. If you are looking for an easy pleasant read, then this is a good book for that.
==Anne==
Sep 13, 2009 ==Anne== rated it liked it
I can picture these guys all hanging out at the Dry Dock in Portland talking about their daily take. I wish I was around to hear them and buy them a beer. Lobstering and fishing are such difficult professions, it's hard to believe someone would choose them because they were looking for an escape. These are Maine people - good hardy stock. Reading about them makes life here with all the cold, the beauty, and the tourists seem absolutely normal.
Tara
Jun 17, 2016 Tara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was not a normal book I would have read, but kept me entertained with the stories. It helps I think that I listened to it and it was read by the author. It put me in the world of deep sea fishing with all the highs and lows and characters can run into. It also made me want to go Maine.

Very entertaining.
Feb 06, 2013 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was thoroughly entertained and amazed by this collection of stories. I am looking forward to reading Greenlaw's two other books this summer while camped out at Acadia. It seems the perfect setting for some more ocean tales. I will also most definitely be stopping in at the Dry Dock for a drink or two.
Dale
Aug 05, 2014 Dale rated it it was ok
I didn't finish this book, but not because the writing wasn't good. I just lost interest because I reached a point where it just felt like talking for talking's sake.

Others rank this highly, and I don't disagree. I simply didn't catch the spirit of it. Perhaps it was one of those days when even my favorite soft drink would have tasted flat.
Diane
May 17, 2009 Diane rated it really liked it
Another wonderful book from the author of The Lobster Chronicles. Linda is one of the few female fishing boat captains in the states. She is also a wonderful writer and this is a gathering of stories from fishermen off the east coast told in the author’s typical witty and touching manner - another winner.
yourfavouritemixtape
I really liked this book. I like Linda Greenlaws style of writing a lot and also sea stories. The story that holds all the individual stories together is simple but nice, you never feel lost. And the individual stories are really good. They are interesting and very exciting, they make you miss your stop when you read that book on a train.
Trish Remley
Aug 13, 2013 Trish Remley rated it liked it
I've read three other books by Linda Greenlaw. The Hungry Ocean was facinating, the Lobster Chronicles good , the mystery novel and this one - All Fisherman are Liars was ok. I did enjoy the adventures told. Each book I do read of hers does give me an additional glimpse into the world at sea which I really do enjoy. This was this year's when in Maine - read about Maine.
Anna
Aug 27, 2009 Anna rated it really liked it
Greenlaw is a good storyteller -- pretty amazing all of the nutty things that happened to her! A highlight was the story about her nephews ("Navigation") and the one about delivering a boat in the Caribbean. Two of the most promising stories ended a bit anticlimactically, but it's still an enjoyable, quick read.
Aimy
Oct 08, 2008 Aimy rated it really liked it
I dream of moving to Maine someday. Not sure why... Linda Greenlaw allows me to live vicariously through her writing. I've read everything she has written. She has a way with words. Taking a subject that may not sound interesting, she delivers books you will enjoy, while learning something, and even laughing at the same time.
Roadhouse
Feb 18, 2012 Roadhouse rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The basis of this book is a collection of stories told through the context of sitting in a bar with old friend who has health problems, and she wants to talk to him about it.

The reality of this book, is it is a bunch of boring stories told while she tries to meddle in an old man's life.
Andrea
Feb 08, 2009 Andrea rated it really liked it
Hilarious. Linda Greenlaw is an excellent writer. Her non-fiction "The Hungry Ocean" about her days as a swordfish boat captain was gripping drama. But her two non-fiction "humorous" books are 180 degrees the opposite, but just as well written. Very very funny. See also "The Lobster Chronicles".
Walker
Jun 02, 2010 Walker rated it liked it
Fairly lighthearted and easy to read. It lacked substance and wasn't particularly funny, but it was interesting to learn about lobstering and working on a boat. The author seems likable and has interesting stories, but it's not an amazing or life-changing book.
Daniel Ellcey
Mar 31, 2007 Daniel Ellcey rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
Another great book from Linda. More of a personal book. She talks about some of her close old time fishing friends and those great mythical and not so mythical stories fishermen tell each other after a few drinks.
  • Working on the Edge: Surviving In the World's Most Dangerous Profession: King Crab Fishing on Alaska's High Seas
  • Last Flight Out: True Tales of Adventure, Travel, and Fishing
  • Looking for a Ship
  • 66 Days Adrift: A True Story of Disaster and Survival on the Open Sea
  • The Funniest Cop Stories Ever
  • Ten Hours Until Dawn: The True Story of Heroism and Tragedy Aboard the Can Do
  • Ghost Stories
  • Trouble Down South and Other Stories
  • Delightfully Twisted Tales: Fire, Fangs and Brimstone (Volume Two)
  • 100 Years, 100 Stories
  • Get Your Tongue Out of My Mouth, I'm Kissing You Goodbye!
  • Horror, Humor, and Heroes
  • Bestseller Bound Anthology (Volume 1)
  • Demon of the Waters: The True Story of the Mutiny on the Whaleship Globe
  • A Day in Mossy Creek (Mossy Creek, #5)
  • Wake of the Perdido Star
  • Dance With a Vampire
  • Toxicity (Georgia Davis, #3)
Linda Greenlaws three bestselling books about life as a commercial fisherman -- THE HUNGRY OCEAN (1999), THE LOBSTER CHRONICLES (2002) and ALL FISHERMEN ARE LIARS (2004) -- have climbed as high as #2 on the New York Times bestseller list. She is the winner of the U.S. Maritime Literature Award in 2003, and the New England Book Award for nonfiction in 2004. Time Magazine called her 2005 RECIPES FRO ...more
More about Linda Greenlaw...

“The only thing worse than feeling that you are going to die is the realization that you probably won't.” 3 likes