Start by marking “Russell M. Nelson: Father, Surgeon, Apostle” as Want to Read:
Russell M. Nelson: Father, Surgeon, Apostle

Russell M. Nelson: Father, Surgeon, Apostle

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  230 ratings  ·  53 reviews
As a latter-day apostle, Elder Russell M. Nelson is known worldwide for his tireless service in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Many people, however, are not familiar with his pioneering work in the field of open-heart surgery, the life-prolonging operation he performed on President Spencer W. Kimball, his role in helping open Eastern Bloc countries to the ...more
Unknown Binding
Published January 1st 2003 by Shadow Mountain

To ask other readers questions about Russell M. Nelson, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Russell M. Nelson

Shayla
I would give this book 5 stars for the information about Elder (now President) Nelson's life and 1 star for the writing. So I gave this book 3 stars to even it all out.

The faith-promoting experiences from the book were amazing. And learning more about this incredible apostle was well worth reading the book. Pres. Nelson's life is awe inspiring. Such an intelligent, spiritual and deeply disciplined man! I have not been so inspired in a long time.

However, it seemed like the biographer read about
Melissa
I loved reading more of this apostle, but the language was at times dry and a little too factual instead of emotional. I didn't feel I could connect with him as well as other biographies I have read.
Lisa
Elder Russell M. Nelson is an admirable and impressive man--a father whose 10 children felt he took time with them and loves them, a wife who loves him (Dantzel, in this biography--she has since passed away and now Wendy Watson, his second wife, loves him, I have no doubt), a superlative heart surgeon with an internationally recognized career--he was instrumental in the invention of the heart-lung bypass machine--who has taught many other surgeons to be good at their work, and a dedicated servan ...more
Colleen
This book is about a really great man. There are a lot of things I can learn from his example. I really enjoyed reading it.
Heather
This was an inspiring book about a very neat man, his family, his work, his faith, and his service. I loved learn about President Russell M. Nelson and am impressed by all that he has done and continues to do in his life.

I loved learning about his family, his wife, his nine daughters and one son and now many grandchildren and great-grandchildren and the special place they hold in his life. Even with all of the important work he has done as a surgeon and as a General Authority it is obvious that
Alaina
Jul 31, 2008 Alaina rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Alaina by: Jacob's Dad
After owning this book for a couple years, I finally got around to actually reading it and I'm so glad I did. Since we're going through the whole medical school experience right now, the parts about his education and their family life during that time were especially interesting and inspiring to me. One lesson that stood out to me was how the Lord sees the whole picture. We usually don't know what is in store for us or what the Lord has in mind for our futures, but if we just do our part He can ...more
Josephine
Finally! It shouldn't have taken me 6 months to finish this book. I cruised through the first half, about his ancestory and life, in 2 weeks and then lost interest in the second half until the last couple of chapters where it had some exerpts of his teachings and I loved that. The second half was mostly about his visiting with political leaders and opening doors of nations and it honestly felt like I was reading the same thing over and over again. I mean, I was, it was just about a different cou ...more
Kessie
This was a book that I loved because it gave an example of patience and good child rearing. The book talked about how Elder Nelson's wife never got mad at her children, and the only time that she even came close was when her grandchildren broke her mother's vase. The only thing she said was "I should have known better than to put nice things around children playing." That sounds spectacular! I don't have any children yet, but I've been trying to practice to become just like that.
Elder Nelson is
Rebecca
This book is a little bit intimidating when you look at it and it may seem like it will take forever to read because of the number of pages. But it is so well written and it didn't take me long at all. And I loved it! This is a great biography about Elder Russell M. Nelson. I especially liked it because it told about the events of his life in great and interesting detail without making him look "bigger than life" (even though I think he is because he's so intelligent and talented!) I have a grea ...more
Natalie
Although I didn't really like this author's writing style, I loved learning about the life of Elder Nelson. Since my husband is completing his medical training, I was especially interesting in the chapters that talked about Elder and Sister Nelson 's experiences during that time in their lives. I will admit that I skipped over quite a bit in the beginning about his ancestry and family history. I felt like some of the writing was sort-of cheesy and superficial, but all in all I feel like I learne ...more
Natasha
Loved learning about Elder Nelson! Somehow he came across as more than perfect, though, so it made it a bit harder to connect.
Jessica
I loved learning more about Elder Nelson. He is a man who had inspired me. I enjoyed following him through his life. I am better for reading this book.
Joani
I loved reading about Elder Nelson's life. He is truly an incredible man, and it's inspiring to see the Lord's hand in guiding his life. I think the information could have been organized differently. Elder Condie organizes it more by subject or theme rather than chronologically which kind of bothered me at times because it felt like we were jumping around a lot. Still, it's a great read about a great man.
Robert
May 29, 2008 Robert added it
When I first read this book I thought that nobody could be so perfect- large family, world class surgeon, never missed a day of work due to sickness etc. As the book went on though I was very impressed with his sense of self discipline and responsibility. Some very good lessons also on recent church history particularly some of the work in Russia and his interactions with Chinese doctors.
Charity
Very fun and inspiring book.
It says in there, though, that Elder Nelson and his wife had 10 kids and he was going through medschool and residency and as a surgeon still had crazy long hours and his wife never complained!
That's why Mike will never become an apostle. . . he won't be able to say that his wife never complained about his long hours. . . and I only have 3 kids! LOL
Amanda
I really enjoyed this book. I not only loved learning about Elder Nelson, but I found myself wanting to find out more about his wife. Too bad her biography was not written. The little that I read really helped to put my life in perspective and probably changed my outlook on residency, doctoring and all of the stresses, pains, and struggles that come with it. And, I needed that.
Cesily
I enjoyed learning more about Elder Nelson. However, this book was a hagiography, in that it portrayed Elder Nelson and his wife as perfect from birth. I do believe Elder Nelson to be a great man but he must have struggled with some imperfections. My favorite parts were reading about his 10 children and reading excerpts from his best conference talks.
Tiff
I loved reading this book. Russell M. Nelson is someone I would like to be more like. This book shows you how he has lived and is living his life. He is an inspiration to me especially because it talks about how he made it through the tough years of med school and transitioning into the working world. I would highly recommend this book to anyone.
Carl
A fascinating biography about a very intelligent and spiritual man. He truly was one of the pioneers in open heart surgery to the point that he and his wife made their own open heart bypass machine. His life also was a great example of one who opened many nations to the preaching of the gospel. A very interesting and powerful book.
Jenifer
Wow! This is an inspiring book! Elder Nelson seems to excel at everything. Music, family, his profession, his church service. I loved to read these stories and see the hand of the Lord moving the gospel forward around the world. I was inspired to do more. To reach farther. This is one of my favorite biographies ever.
Tally
An incredible man. I loved learning more about his career and work around the world, and enjoyed the quotes at the end. My only complaint is that some of the content didn't need to be there - I would rather hear more about his transition from surgeon to Apostle than know how the family celebrates every holiday.
Michelle
This book is a biography-type book about an apostle of the Lord. I love this man and reading this book made me love him even more. I found so much of this book relatable because of my family's situation (in a very miniscule way). It's a very uplifting book and I really enjoyed it.
Emily
I breezed through the first half of this book, but then I kind of lost steam and ended up reading other books I had around the house. I loved learning more about Elder Nelson - his career and his experiences before becoming an apostle. Maybe someday I'll go back and finish it.
Carol
I had mixed feelings about this book and almost rated it a two.

I learned a lot about Russell M. Nelson but the book is not as interesting as it should be and it really needed a good editor to cut out the constant repetition.
Jean
One of my favorite books of all time--I recommend this book to everyone who values being their best self and always doing better. Definitely an inspiring read, and although it is a large book, absolutely worth your time.
Nate
I really enjoyed this book and learning about Russell M. Nelson. It was very inspiring and motivating. He is a very accomplished individual that seems to keep life in balance very well. There is a lot to learn from him.
Robert
That I gave this book only 4 stars does not relate to my feelings of Brother Nelson. He is truly amazing and the book is very good. My only criticism of it, however, is that at tunes it felt very much like a travel log.
Jan
Parts of this were totally inspiring--gave me lots of hope for my future as a surgeon's wife. (what I would LOVE to see is a biography of his wife, Dantzel). But large parts read like a Franklin Day Planner.
Rae
I started this--really enjoyed it, but was taking it slow. Had to return it to the library, and when I went to reserve it again, they said it had disappeared!! I'll have to wait to finish this one. ..
Karen
I really liked learning about Elder Nelson. The apostle section got a little long, but I did find out a lot about the Church's history in many parts of the world.
  • Ezra Taft Benson: A Biography
  • Howard W. Hunter
  • A Disciple's Life: The Biography of Neal A. Maxwell
  • Lengthen Your Stride: The Presidency of Spencer W. Kimball
  • Boyd K. Packer: A Watchman on the Tower
  • I Will Lead You Along: The Life of Henry B. Eyring
  • Autobiography of Parley P. Pratt (Revised and Enhanced)
  • The Promise of Discipleship
  • Gospel Doctrine: Sermons and Writings of President Joseph F. Smith (Classics in Mormon Literature)
  • Counseling With Our Councils: Learning To Minister Together In The Church And In The Family
  • Life of Joseph Smith: The Prophet
  • Faith Rewarded: A Personal Account of Prophetic Promises to the East German Saints
  • The Presidents of the Church: Insights Into Their Lives and Teachings
  • The Mortal Messiah: From Bethlehem to Calvary, Book 4 (Mortal Messiah)
  • Teach Ye Diligently
  • Teachings of Gordon B. Hinckley
  • However Long & Hard the Road
  • Mormon Scientist: The Life and Faith of Henry Eyring
Song of Redeeming Love In Perfect Balance Your Agency: Handle with Care God of Comfort, God of Love Speeches: Brigham Young University 1994-1995 Devotional & Fireside Speeches