Start by marking “Russell M. Nelson: Father, Surgeon, Apostle” as Want to Read:
Russell M. Nelson: Father, Surgeon, Apostle

Russell M. Nelson: Father, Surgeon, Apostle

As a latter-day apostle, Elder Russell M. Nelson is known worldwide for his tireless service in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Many people, however, are not familiar with his pioneering work in the field of open-heart surgery, the life-prolonging operation he performed on President Spencer W. Kimball, his role in helping open Eastern Bloc countries to the ...more
Unknown Binding
Published January 1st 2003 by Shadow Mountain

To ask other readers questions about Russell M. Nelson, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Russell M. Nelson

Feb 02, 2016 Ashley rated it really liked it
Rating books is so hard. There were things I loved about this book, and things I didn't love about it. The best thing about the book was the subject. President Nelson is so amazing. This book made me want to just sit down and have a conversation with him. It made me want to be friends with him. I want to know him, and I want him to know me. One doesn't find people like him all that often. I loved reading about his early years and his years as a doctor, what an amazing life! However, once we got ...more
Marsha Reynolds
Jan 23, 2016 Marsha Reynolds rated it it was amazing
The man makes the book. Russell M. Nelsons's accomplishments are astounding--professionally and personally. He is inspiring, good and true. He may well become the next President of the Church. Having read his life, I want to be a better mother, wife and servant. I feel encouraged to do all of that!
Dec 03, 2013 Melissa rated it liked it
I loved reading more of this apostle, but the language was at times dry and a little too factual instead of emotional. I didn't feel I could connect with him as well as other biographies I have read.
Jul 28, 2008 Colleen rated it it was amazing
This book is about a really great man. There are a lot of things I can learn from his example. I really enjoyed reading it.
Sep 04, 2015 Kathryn rated it really liked it
Pres Monson said of Elder Nelson: "He'll happily go anywhere he's sent and leave a trail of happiness behind. "
Aug 26, 2015 Heather rated it really liked it
Shelves: religious, biography
This was an inspiring book about a very neat man, his family, his work, his faith, and his service. I loved learn about President Russell M. Nelson and am impressed by all that he has done and continues to do in his life.

I loved learning about his family, his wife, his nine daughters and one son and now many grandchildren and great-grandchildren and the special place they hold in his life. Even with all of the important work he has done as a surgeon and as a General Authority it is obvious that
Aug 24, 2015 Shayla rated it liked it
I would give this book 5 stars for the information about Elder (now President) Nelson's life and 1 star for the writing. So I gave this book 3 stars to even it all out.

The faith-promoting experiences from the book were amazing. And learning more about this incredible apostle was well worth reading the book. Pres. Nelson's life is awe inspiring. Such an intelligent, spiritual and deeply disciplined man! I have not been so inspired in a long time.

However, it seemed like the biographer read about
May 01, 2014 Lisa rated it really liked it
Elder Russell M. Nelson is an admirable and impressive man--a father whose 10 children felt he took time with them and loves them, a wife who loves him (Dantzel, in this biography--she has since passed away and now Wendy Watson, his second wife, loves him, I have no doubt), a superlative heart surgeon with an internationally recognized career--he was instrumental in the invention of the heart-lung bypass machine--who has taught many other surgeons to be good at their work, and a dedicated servan ...more
Jun 21, 2016 Ben rated it really liked it
This is a book about a great and wonderful man. The two qualities of his that stuck out to me the most were his self-discipline, and his gift for diplomacy. I loved hearing about his work representing the church during the fall of the Iron Curtain and how exciting it was to dedicate new lands for the preaching of the gospel and open new doors to the church. I also enjoyed hearing more detail about Pres. Nelson's work in heart surgery. He truly was a pioneer and right at the vanguard when open he ...more
Jul 31, 2008 Alaina rated it really liked it
Recommended to Alaina by: Jacob's Dad
After owning this book for a couple years, I finally got around to actually reading it and I'm so glad I did. Since we're going through the whole medical school experience right now, the parts about his education and their family life during that time were especially interesting and inspiring to me. One lesson that stood out to me was how the Lord sees the whole picture. We usually don't know what is in store for us or what the Lord has in mind for our futures, but if we just do our part He can ...more
Oct 26, 2010 Josephine rated it really liked it
Shelves: church-books
Finally! It shouldn't have taken me 6 months to finish this book. I cruised through the first half, about his ancestory and life, in 2 weeks and then lost interest in the second half until the last couple of chapters where it had some exerpts of his teachings and I loved that. The second half was mostly about his visiting with political leaders and opening doors of nations and it honestly felt like I was reading the same thing over and over again. I mean, I was, it was just about a different cou ...more
Joshua Menden
Sep 04, 2015 Joshua Menden rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the way this biography was written, only at the end did I feel it began to be a little redundant. Rather than follow President Nelson chronologically through his life, Condie chose to detail his life based on topics, events, or callings. It was a most fascinating approach that really enabled me to understand just how much good this man has accomplished in his life, as a surgeon, a diplomat, and of course, an apostle of Jesus Christ! At the end Condie has 2 or 3 extensive chapters where h ...more
Feb 04, 2008 Kessie rated it it was amazing
This was a book that I loved because it gave an example of patience and good child rearing. The book talked about how Elder Nelson's wife never got mad at her children, and the only time that she even came close was when her grandchildren broke her mother's vase. The only thing she said was "I should have known better than to put nice things around children playing." That sounds spectacular! I don't have any children yet, but I've been trying to practice to become just like that.
Elder Nelson is
May 26, 2013 Natalie rated it really liked it
Although I didn't really like this author's writing style, I loved learning about the life of Elder Nelson. Since my husband is completing his medical training, I was especially interesting in the chapters that talked about Elder and Sister Nelson 's experiences during that time in their lives. I will admit that I skipped over quite a bit in the beginning about his ancestry and family history. I felt like some of the writing was sort-of cheesy and superficial, but all in all I feel like I learne ...more
Aug 01, 2015 Rebecca rated it really liked it
This book is a little bit intimidating when you look at it and it may seem like it will take forever to read because of the number of pages. But it is so well written and it didn't take me long at all. And I loved it! This is a great biography about Elder Russell M. Nelson. I especially liked it because it told about the events of his life in great and interesting detail without making him look "bigger than life" (even though I think he is because he's so intelligent and talented!) I have a grea ...more
Jun 26, 2009 Joani rated it really liked it
Shelves: lds-shelf
I loved reading about Elder Nelson's life. He is truly an incredible man, and it's inspiring to see the Lord's hand in guiding his life. I think the information could have been organized differently. Elder Condie organizes it more by subject or theme rather than chronologically which kind of bothered me at times because it felt like we were jumping around a lot. Still, it's a great read about a great man.
Jul 22, 2008 Charity rated it it was amazing
Very fun and inspiring book.
It says in there, though, that Elder Nelson and his wife had 10 kids and he was going through medschool and residency and as a surgeon still had crazy long hours and his wife never complained!
That's why Mike will never become an apostle. . . he won't be able to say that his wife never complained about his long hours. . . and I only have 3 kids! LOL
Sep 20, 2012 Tally rated it really liked it
An incredible man. I loved learning more about his career and work around the world, and enjoyed the quotes at the end. My only complaint is that some of the content didn't need to be there - I would rather hear more about his transition from surgeon to Apostle than know how the family celebrates every holiday.
Jul 25, 2009 Cesily rated it really liked it
I enjoyed learning more about Elder Nelson. However, this book was a hagiography, in that it portrayed Elder Nelson and his wife as perfect from birth. I do believe Elder Nelson to be a great man but he must have struggled with some imperfections. My favorite parts were reading about his 10 children and reading excerpts from his best conference talks.
Sep 27, 2008 Carl rated it it was amazing
A fascinating biography about a very intelligent and spiritual man. He truly was one of the pioneers in open heart surgery to the point that he and his wife made their own open heart bypass machine. His life also was a great example of one who opened many nations to the preaching of the gospel. A very interesting and powerful book.
Jun 16, 2008 Amanda rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. I not only loved learning about Elder Nelson, but I found myself wanting to find out more about his wife. Too bad her biography was not written. The little that I read really helped to put my life in perspective and probably changed my outlook on residency, doctoring and all of the stresses, pains, and struggles that come with it. And, I needed that.
May 29, 2008 Robert added it
When I first read this book I thought that nobody could be so perfect- large family, world class surgeon, never missed a day of work due to sickness etc. As the book went on though I was very impressed with his sense of self discipline and responsibility. Some very good lessons also on recent church history particularly some of the work in Russia and his interactions with Chinese doctors.
Dec 31, 2008 Tiff rated it it was amazing
I loved reading this book. Russell M. Nelson is someone I would like to be more like. This book shows you how he has lived and is living his life. He is an inspiration to me especially because it talks about how he made it through the tough years of med school and transitioning into the working world. I would highly recommend this book to anyone.
Aug 25, 2012 Jenifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-believe, biography
Wow! This is an inspiring book! Elder Nelson seems to excel at everything. Music, family, his profession, his church service. I loved to read these stories and see the hand of the Lord moving the gospel forward around the world. I was inspired to do more. To reach farther. This is one of my favorite biographies ever.
Dec 03, 2013 Carol rated it liked it
I had mixed feelings about this book and almost rated it a two.

I learned a lot about Russell M. Nelson but the book is not as interesting as it should be and it really needed a good editor to cut out the constant repetition.
Andrew Beckett
Jan 12, 2016 Andrew Beckett rated it really liked it
President Nelson is incredible. I loved this book. However, the end chapters seemed to draw out a while; almost like the author was just accounting WHAT happened instead of WHY. I enjoyed particularly the parts about his schooling and medical work.
May 05, 2009 Rae rated it really liked it
I started this--really enjoyed it, but was taking it slow. Had to return it to the library, and when I went to reserve it again, they said it had disappeared!! I'll have to wait to finish this one. ..
Sep 07, 2008 Jean rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books of all time--I recommend this book to everyone who values being their best self and always doing better. Definitely an inspiring read, and although it is a large book, absolutely worth your time.
Bruce Olschewski
May 27, 2016 Bruce Olschewski rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography
Found this book fascinating because of personal ties. His medical research helped a family member that required open-heart surgery. While he didn't perform the surgery, a former partner - trained by him - did.
Sep 23, 2012 Emily rated it really liked it
Shelves: didn-t-finish
I breezed through the first half of this book, but then I kind of lost steam and ended up reading other books I had around the house. I loved learning more about Elder Nelson - his career and his experiences before becoming an apostle. Maybe someday I'll go back and finish it.
  • Ezra Taft Benson: A Biography
  • Howard W. Hunter
  • A Disciple's Life: The Biography of Neal A. Maxwell
  • Boyd K. Packer: A Watchman on the Tower
  • Lengthen Your Stride: The Presidency of Spencer W. Kimball
  • I Will Lead You Along: The Life of Henry B. Eyring
  • L. Tom Perry, an Uncommon Life: Years of Preparation
  • Life of Heber C. Kimball: An Apostle
  • Autobiography of Parley P. Pratt (Revised and Enhanced)
  • Hugh Nibley: A Consecrated Life
  • Gospel Doctrine: Sermons and Writings of President Joseph F. Smith (Classics in Mormon Literature)
  • The Promise of Discipleship
  • Teach Ye Diligently
  • Life of Joseph Smith: The Prophet
  • Counseling With Our Councils: Learning To Minister Together In The Church And In The Family
  • The Bruce R. McConkie Story: Reflections of a Son
  • Faith Rewarded: A Personal Account of Prophetic Promises to the East German Saints
  • Mormon Scientist: The Life and Faith of Henry Eyring