Start by marking “Like False Money” as Want to Read:
Like False Money

Like False Money (Annie Raymond #1)

Murder on record

In rural East Yorkshire, young and untried private investigator Annie Raymond attempts to piece together clues in a man's apparently accidental death. Terry Martin's parents found a video they want Annie to look at. But its contents expose something both unexpected and horrifying—and involve Annie in a case that will make or break her fledgling career.

Sorti
Paperback
Published February 2013 by Worldwide Library Worldwide Mystery (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Like False Money, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Like False Money

Kathleen Jones
Jan 05, 2013 Kathleen Jones rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book in Penny Grubb’s series about the young private investigator Annie Raymond. It’s Annie’s first - temporary - job and she knows that she has to prove herself in order to stay in the business. The agency that employs her is based in Hull, a city in a part of England that’s unfamiliar to her and probably to many of the readers too. It’s a good setting - there’s a dramatic landscape of sea and fenland and the city provides a wide range of class and racial contrast with all the ...more
Stuart Aken
Aug 28, 2010 Stuart Aken rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some crime novels are intriguing puzzles begging for solution, some are sensitive character studies describing the relationship of investigator to crime and perpetrator, and some are fast-paced action stories packed with incident and threat. Penny Grubb, in Like False Money, has blended all three in one fascinating novel.

The heroine, Annie, a woman with balls, takes on her first cases with few expectations, learning she has been employed more as nursemaid than private investigator. The complex
Elizabeth Bailey
I quite enjoyed the relationships in this book. There's so much detail, however, that I got lost between the two main jobs Annie is involved in. For me it didn't fully take off until the last section. It's extremely well written though and I look forward to reading more of Penny's work.
Linda Acaster
Nov 21, 2010 Linda Acaster rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
Thoroughly enjoyed it. Here's a review I put on Amazon:

I read crime fiction for relaxation and hunted out Like False Money because it is set in my locality. It certainly adds a frisson to the reading. I thought it a hoot that the protagonist found distances and the poor road system in our wide-horizon rural landscape so difficult to get her head round after being gridlocked in the city (Hull).

Annie Raymond is both young and very human, sometimes over confident and sometimes reticent, very much i
Penny Grubb
Aug 29, 2010 Penny Grubb rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
It might be a bit off to give my own book a max review, but I went back to it after a year to see how I'd dealt with a particular character (needed the info for a later book same series). Found what I wanted but then amazed myself by getting caught up in the story and reading it to the end, even though I knew what was going to happen. So I decided I could justify giving it a good review. It was intended as a thriller, a whodunnit and a page turner. I think it does the job.
Kay Robinson
Aug 04, 2012 Kay Robinson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the book that starts Annie Raymond on her career as a PI although it's the second book I read. The stumbling steps Annie makes in her chosen career shows her steep learning curve as she leaps into action biting off more than she can chew and juggling two cases at the same time. The twists and turns of the plot lead the reader ever deeper into underworld life on a housing estate and middle-class life in a coastal village, all leading up to a dramatic ending.
Babus Ahmed
Jan 01, 2013 Babus Ahmed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My review on Amazon:

This is a very well written suspense/crime thriller/mystery. Annie Raymond is an aspiring PI who has been offered a 6 week position at a PI firm in Hull. When she gets there, with all she owns, she finds the job not quite what she expects. The PI she is supposed to be helping has a broken leg and knows nothing about Annie's appointment to help her. She makes the most of the situation and puts her training and instincts to the test on the 2 cases she has been asked to help on.
Grey Wolf
Sep 18, 2015 Grey Wolf rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't know any of the characters in this book, not having read any of this series before. This was only disconcerting at the beginning really, when I had no clue what was going on. After a short while, the author describes things enough that you can understand the relationship of characters to one another, though it was sometime before I realised Maggie was in her twenties and not an ageing spinster! The initial hook for the plot is a bit silly, but that is down to the character rather than t ...more
Dec 04, 2011 Dan Grubb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it, as simple as that.

Like a contemporary Agatha Christie, all the pieces fall into place perfectly.

The twists feel like corkscrews sometimes.

Pay attention and you'll love it, if you are a skim reader, you'll hate it.
Celest
Celest rated it liked it
Nov 20, 2014
Yovonne
Yovonne rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2015
Rhoda Baxter
Rhoda Baxter rated it really liked it
Oct 11, 2011
Maribeth
Maribeth rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2016
Vicki Gooding
Vicki Gooding rated it it was amazing
Apr 29, 2016
April Taylor
April Taylor rated it it was amazing
Jul 07, 2012
Dan Grubb rated it it was amazing
Nov 18, 2011
Madalyn Morgan
Madalyn Morgan rated it it was amazing
Jun 01, 2016
Dan Grubb rated it it was amazing
Nov 28, 2011
Graham Cook
Graham Cook rated it it was ok
Oct 13, 2014
Colin Knight
Colin Knight rated it it was amazing
Dec 13, 2011
Kathy
Kathy rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2014
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2011
Benjamin Bupryn
Benjamin Bupryn marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2012
Gary Dolman
Gary Dolman marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2012
Chrissy
Chrissy is currently reading it
Dec 29, 2012
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2013
Peggy
Peggy marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2013
Danielle Collins
Danielle Collins marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2013
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2013
Ann
Ann marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2013
Dana
Dana marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2013
Bella Michel
Bella Michel marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2014
Sonja
Sonja marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2014
Sasha Albury
Sasha Albury marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2014
John Hanley
John Hanley marked it as to-read
May 10, 2014
Jenelva
Jenelva marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
Brooke
Brooke added it
Oct 10, 2014
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Crystal
Crystal marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2015
Dawn Godwin
Dawn Godwin marked it as to-read
May 09, 2016
John Karikas
John Karikas marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2016
Ana
Ana marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2016
Crystal
Crystal marked it as to-read
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Christopher
Christopher marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2017
Penny is a scientist and academic (Health Informatics), and was Chair of the Authors’ Licensing and Collecting Society , the largest writers’ organisation in the world, for six years to 2013.
A writer all her life, she penned her first story at age 4 and won her first writing competition at age 9. In 2004 she received an international award, the Crime Writers’ Association’s Debut Dagger.
She has
More about Penny Grubb...

Annie Raymond (4 books)