Start by marking “Like False Money” as Want to Read:
Like False Money

Like False Money (Annie Raymond)

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  17 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Murder on record

In rural East Yorkshire, young and untried private investigator Annie Raymond attempts to piece together clues in a man's apparently accidental death. Terry Martin's parents found a video they want Annie to look at. But its contents expose something both unexpected and horrifying—and involve Annie in a case that will make or break her fledgling career.

Sorti
Paperback
Published February 2013 by Worldwide Library Worldwide Mystery (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Like False Money, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Like False Money

Kathleen Jones
This is the first book in Penny Grubb’s series about the young private investigator Annie Raymond. It’s Annie’s first - temporary - job and she knows that she has to prove herself in order to stay in the business. The agency that employs her is based in Hull, a city in a part of England that’s unfamiliar to her and probably to many of the readers too. It’s a good setting - there’s a dramatic landscape of sea and fenland and the city provides a wide range of class and racial contrast with all the ...more
Stuart Aken
Some crime novels are intriguing puzzles begging for solution, some are sensitive character studies describing the relationship of investigator to crime and perpetrator, and some are fast-paced action stories packed with incident and threat. Penny Grubb, in Like False Money, has blended all three in one fascinating novel.

The heroine, Annie, a woman with balls, takes on her first cases with few expectations, learning she has been employed more as nursemaid than private investigator. The complex
Elizabeth Bailey
I quite enjoyed the relationships in this book. There's so much detail, however, that I got lost between the two main jobs Annie is involved in. For me it didn't fully take off until the last section. It's extremely well written though and I look forward to reading more of Penny's work.
Linda Acaster
Thoroughly enjoyed it. Here's a review I put on Amazon:

I read crime fiction for relaxation and hunted out Like False Money because it is set in my locality. It certainly adds a frisson to the reading. I thought it a hoot that the protagonist found distances and the poor road system in our wide-horizon rural landscape so difficult to get her head round after being gridlocked in the city (Hull).

Annie Raymond is both young and very human, sometimes over confident and sometimes reticent, very much i
Gigi
Really loved the main character Annie. She had some depth to her, but none of those annoying 'quirks' which so many crime writers feel is necessary with which to imbue their protagonists. Instead she gets on with the job at hand.

However, the plotting of the book was not my favorite. Although I enjoy mystery writing as a genre, this book had so many different things happening at the same time, and so many unanswered questions that I felt a flow chart would have helped while reading! I don't norm
Penny Grubb
Aug 29, 2010 Penny Grubb rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
It might be a bit off to give my own book a max review, but I went back to it after a year to see how I'd dealt with a particular character (needed the info for a later book same series). Found what I wanted but then amazed myself by getting caught up in the story and reading it to the end, even though I knew what was going to happen. So I decided I could justify giving it a good review. It was intended as a thriller, a whodunnit and a page turner. I think it does the job.
Kay Robinson
This is the book that starts Annie Raymond on her career as a PI although it's the second book I read. The stumbling steps Annie makes in her chosen career shows her steep learning curve as she leaps into action biting off more than she can chew and juggling two cases at the same time. The twists and turns of the plot lead the reader ever deeper into underworld life on a housing estate and middle-class life in a coastal village, all leading up to a dramatic ending.
Babus Ahmed
My review on Amazon:

This is a very well written suspense/crime thriller/mystery. Annie Raymond is an aspiring PI who has been offered a 6 week position at a PI firm in Hull. When she gets there, with all she owns, she finds the job not quite what she expects. The PI she is supposed to be helping has a broken leg and knows nothing about Annie's appointment to help her. She makes the most of the situation and puts her training and instincts to the test on the 2 cases she has been asked to help on.
Dan Grubb
Loved it, as simple as that.

Like a contemporary Agatha Christie, all the pieces fall into place perfectly.

The twists feel like corkscrews sometimes.

Pay attention and you'll love it, if you are a skim reader, you'll hate it.
Yovonne
Yovonne marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Jerry Kohler
Jerry Kohler marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Brooke
Brooke added it
Oct 10, 2014
Jenelva
Jenelva marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
Don Poole
Don Poole marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
John Hanley
John Hanley marked it as to-read
May 10, 2014
John Hanley
John Hanley marked it as to-read
May 10, 2014
Sasha Albury
Sasha Albury marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2014
Sonja
Sonja marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2014
Bella Michel
Bella Michel marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2014
Dana
Dana marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2013
Myan
Myan marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2013
Zlatathebookworm
Zlatathebookworm marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2013
Ann
Ann marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2013
Miss M
Miss M added it
Aug 20, 2014
Penny is a scientist and academic (Health Informatics), and was Chair of the Authors’ Licensing and Collecting Society , the largest writers’ organisation in the world, for six years to 2013.
A writer all her life, she penned her first story at age 4 and won her first writing competition at age 9. In 2004 she received an international award, the Crime Writers’ Association’s Debut Dagger.
She has
More about Penny Grubb...

Annie Raymond (4 books)
  • The Doll Makers
  • Where There's Smoke
  • The Jawbone Gang
The Doll Makers The Jawbone Gang Where There's Smoke The Writers' Toolkit Software Maintenance: Concepts and Practice (Second Edition)