Start by marking “The Year's Best Science Fiction: Thirtieth Annual Collection” as Want to Read:
The Year's Best Science Fiction: Thirtieth Annual Collection

The Year's Best Science Fiction: Thirtieth Annual Collection (The Year's Best Science Fiction #30)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  228 ratings  ·  37 reviews
In the new millennium, what secrets lay beyond the far reaches of the universe? What mysteries belie the truths we once held to be self evident? The world of science fiction has long been a porthole into the realities of tomorrow, blurring the line between life and art. Now, in The Year’s Best Science Fiction:Thirtieth Annual Collection the very best SF authors explore ide ...more
Published July 23rd 2013 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about The Year's Best Science Fiction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Year's Best Science Fiction

Andreas
GR has a limit for review lengths. I've written reviews for most of the 29 stories in this doorstopper and easily reached the limit after half of the book. GR doesn't make it easy reviewing single stories, most don't have entries. That's why I decided to create a new Wordpress site where I can outsource story reviews.

Large anthology containing 29 SF stories, all first published in 2012 and cover by my favourite artist, Michael Whelan. It gives room forlonger stories, often in the form of novele
pax
Individual reviews, written as I read the stories, below. As always: worth reading, although overall not as strong a collection as I would have liked. Still, two new names for me. Brit Mandelo is one of them - I will have to look out for more of her work and really, really hope for a collection soon. And Robert Reed seems interesting and, judging from both his stories here, also not a one-hit-wonder. And honestly: new authors is what I am reading such collections for.

***

Indrapramit Das: "Weep fo
Joseph Lerner
I'm about halfway though this mammoth (300,000 words) anthology of the year's best SF, editor Dozois' latest. Nearly all of the stories are well-written and entertaining, and a few are outstanding. My favorites (so far) are Lavie Tidhar's "Memcordist" and "Under the Eaves," Paul McAuley's "The Man," Pat Cadigan's "The Girl-Thing Who Went Out for Sushi," Alastair Reynolds' "The Water Thief," and Robert Charles Wilson's "Fireborn."

This anthology is a great read for all SF readers, even for those
Spike Gomes
I've been reading these every year since the mid-90s. Dozois without a doubt has the best taste in story selection. You can't go wrong with getting it. I've read a good selection of the stories before in the magazines I subscribe to, but this fills in the gaps of ones that I haven't read. In all, this one was slightly stronger than last year's, but not the best yearly collection. Still, it's a must have for any serious science fiction reader.
Alison C
Gardner Dozois's The Year's Best Science Fiction is always highly anticipated in my household, and this edition is no different. I have always trusted Dozois's tastes as an editor, and although I read much less science fiction than I used to, I still check out his choices eagerly. This year there were only a couple of stories that I had read previously (in The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction), so most of the material was new to me. As with any anthology, there are some stories I like m ...more
Olga
I find this collection to be relatively typical of the Year's Best Science Fiction series - some excellent stories, a sizeable amount of "okay" stories, and quite a few stories that I read two or three pages and then skipped over. Several stories had a steampunk vibe, which I generally don't care for, but "Steamgothic", for example, was fascinating.
David Marshall
This year, the standard is slightly uneven. Although most of the stories are very readable, there are fewer than usual standout stories.

Clay Brown
Every year for the past five years I’ve read Gardner Dozios’ Best Of Collection of Science Fiction.

Each year I hope to find yet one more Writer to add to my list, this year I believe Robert Reed is the clear victor.

His story Eater Of Bone, was very impressive, and looking at his books I’m looking forward to reading Morrow, his first book about a Super Spaceship that houses many Alien Races.

So finding a new Science Fiction writer to me is worth the cost of this collection, which was, although n
John Park
The first of these I've found a bit disappointing. Is Dozois getting jaded or am I? Even the best (e.g. Jay Lake's "The Stars Do Not Lie") mostly seemed to have a significant flaw, often in the ending. A lot of repeat performers from earlier editions: Lake, Alastair Reynolds, Robert Reed, Aliette de Bodard, Vandana Singh et al. A return from recent silence[?] by Pat Cadigan.

(As usual a preponderance of longish stories—only a couple, I'd guess, much less than 5000 words and several over 10,000, i
Cherie
Some good stories and some not quite so good, but overall a good read.
Timons Esaias
These Dozois Year's Best anthologies are always worth the read. My favorite was also in Hartwell's collection: "Old Paint." Megan Lindholm tells the story of a family that inherits grandpa's old car, a woody-style station wagon, whose technology is way behind the times. Mom even makes her teenager learn to drive it, rather than just tell it where to go. Very uncool. When the youngster takes it to a shady nano-paint place, and the car catches a nasty virus, well, this tale starts taking unexpecte ...more
Em
Aug 03, 2014 Em rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sci-fi fans
Recommended to Em by: a relative
Some of these stories were really good. In science fiction, the worlds can be so complex and lovely it makes one sigh with awe and joy. Some of the stories weren't so amazing. I'd evaluate them individually, but I honestly skipped one or two. So here are my complaints:
1.not original enough
2.bad editing
3.no delivery
4.no plot
But other than that, some of them were awesome! I felt like crying on occasion. So, in the end, it was good.
Arvind Vijh
The usual outstanding collection.

I enjoyed reading:

-Weep for Day by Indrapramit Das

-The Man by Pat McAuley

-Holmes Sherlock by Eleanor Arnason

- Nightfall On The Peak of Eternal Light by Lovett & Gleason

- What did Tessimond Tell You? by Adam Roberts

-In the Hosue of Aryaman, A Lonely Signal Burns by Elizabth Bear (set ina futuristic Bangalore)
Stephen Graham
Overall this was one of the best editions of this series. Stories of particular note were Jay Lake's "The Stars Do Not Lie", Pat Cadigan's "The Girl-Thing Who Went Out for Sushi", Richard Lovett and William Gleason's "Nightfall on the Peak of Eternal Light", Elizabeth Bear's "In the House of Aryaman, A Lonely Signal Burns", Paul McAuley's "Macy Minnot's Last Christmas on Dione", Adam Roberts' "What Did Tessimond Tell You?", and Steven Popkes' "Sudden, Broken, and Unexpected". Most of the stories ...more
Mouldy Squid
After last year's somewhat disappointing Year's Best..., I am happy to see Dozios return to form and collect some very good stories. Nary a miss here, with almost every tale being above par. In fact there are so many superb choices it would be difficult to pick the best of the bunch. We're I forced to pick, these two would be my choices: "The Wreck of the Charles Dexter Ward" by Monette and Bear; and "Eater of Bone" by Reed. The first is an addition to their excellent collect of space-lovecrafti ...more
Taylor
2012 seems to have been a down year for short fiction, at least in my estimation. Some clunkers in here this year. But, my personal highlights:

The Stars Do Not Lie by Jay Lake
Holmes Sherlock by Eleanor Arnason
Macy Minnot's Last Christmas on Dione, Ring Racing, Fiddler's Green, The Potter's Garden by Paul McAuley
Twenty Lights to "The Land of Snow" by Michael Bishop
Katabasis by Robert Reed
The Wreck of the "Charles Dexter Ward" by Sarah Monette and Elizabeth Bear
Eater-of-Bone by Robert Reed

Not to s
Ron
I find these giant collections of stories on my e-book to be the perfect thing when traveling. Dozois' collection is probably the best of the big three that come out every year, but that might just be because his always contains twice as many stories. In any case, great, diverting reads and a good way to keep up with the best sf writers' non-novel works.
Dan
Love these anthologies- i get them every year. Have since i was a kid.
Deborah Replogle
I love this anthology series, try never to miss one. The update chapter at the beginning provides loads of further reading information for me, and the book is a recap of some of the best stories published during the year gathered from a wide variety of publications.
Rebecca
Some of these stories were a hit for me, others a miss. But in general, they're well done.

I particularly liked: "Sudden, Broken, and Unexpected", about a washed up musician who enters a strange partnership with an AI; "The Wreck of the Charles Dexter Ward", a Frankenstein's monster tale in deep space; "The Finite Canvas", about penance through tattoos, and "Old Paint", about a family's relationship with its ancient AI driven car.

Others, like "The Memcordist", were just too disjointed and stylize
Melissa
A few good stories and quite a few mediocre ones.
Dario
Gardner Dozois's annual selection of the best in the field, the definitive Year's Best anthology for my money. Standout stories for me were Indrapramit Das's "Weep For Day", Hannu Rajaniemi's "Tyche and the Ants", Steven Popkes's "Sudden, Broken, and Unexpected", and Robert Charles Wilson's "Fireborn". I'm a little browned off with contemporary SF and confess I abandoned a good third of the stories after a few pages as too literary for my liking, but I suspect I'm an atypical reader in that rega ...more
TPB,
I thought there were a few good stories in here, but I think this collection as a whole suffered due to too many fantasy/gothic stories and due to a lack of paring down of the collection as a whole. In the end, I pushed through just to finish the book, not out of enjoyment of the stories. I think Steven Popkes' Sudden, Broken, and Unexpected and Megan Lindholm's Old Paint were standout stories.
Zvi
Another solid collection. Particular standouts were Robert Reed's "Eater-of-Bone", which is one of the best novellas I've read in years, "Tyche and the Ants" by Hannu Rajaniemi; and "The Man" by Paul McAuley. If there's anything those three have in common, it's no gimmicks and a deep SF background with a lot of thoroughly worked out consequences.
Anthony A
Reading this book took me four months to finish, because of the graduate classes I am taking. However, I finally finished it last night. With a few exceptions, a good collection of short stories/novellas. My favorite, as almost always, was Eater of Bone, by Robert Reed - my favorite author.
Dev
This volume reverses the slide in quality that has endured for several years. Some memorable stories with a few(especially the last) truly wonderful ones. Dozois's fascination w/the fablesque children's story married to the hi-tech parallel world begins to chafe.
Erik
Goodies: "The Girl Who Went Out for Sushi," "Steamgoth" silly but good read, "In the House of Aryaman, A Lonely Signal Burns," whodunit but good atmosphere, "Fireborn," "Wreck of the Charles Dexter Ward."
R
I've read 2 or 3 of these. Seems like a weak crop this year, though the Robert Reed bits were very good.

Of 122 Goodreads rankings to date, my average ranking is 2.9 (befitting an intended bell curve).
Thomas
I especially liked Steven Popkes's "Sudden, Broken, and Unexpected". Also Pat Cadigan's "The Girl-thing who Went Out for Sushi" and Brit Mandelo's "The Finite Canvas".
John
Favorite stories from this anthology: Paul McAuley, "The Man"; Eleanor Arnason, "Holmes Sherlock"; Sean McMullen, "Steamgothic"; and Robert Charles Wilson, "Fireborn".
  • Edge of Infinity
  • The Day Before the Revolution
  • Infinity Beach
  • Nebula Awards Showcase 2013
  • Between The Strokes Of Night
  • Neptune's Brood (Freyaverse #2)
12052
Gardner Raymond Dozois (born July 23, 1947) is an American science fiction author and editor. He was editor of Asimov's Science Fiction magazine from 1984 to 2004. He has won multiple Hugo and Nebula awards, both as an editor and a writer of short fiction.
Wikipedia entry: Gardner R. Dozois

More about Gardner R. Dozois...

The Year's Best Science Fiction (1 - 10 of 32 books)
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: First Annual Collection
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Seventh Annual Collection
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Eighth Annual Collection
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Ninth Annual Collection
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Tenth Annual Collection
The New Space Opera The Best of the Best: 20 Years of the Year's Best Science Fiction The New Space Opera 2: All-new stories of science fiction adventure The Year's Best Science Fiction: Twenty-Third Annual Collection The Year's Best Science Fiction: Twenty-Sixth Annual Collection

“The girl may want more honesty. However, most of us want a comfortable life.” 1 likes