Start by marking “The World's Healthiest Foods: Essential Guide for the Healthiest Way of Eating” as Want to Read:
The World's Healthiest Foods: Essential Guide for the Healthiest Way of Eating

The World's Healthiest Foods: Essential Guide for the Healthiest Way of Eating

4.5 of 5 stars 4.50  ·  rating details  ·  280 ratings  ·  43 reviews
Focuses on 100 delicious foods that are nutrient-rich and provide maximum number of nutrients for the least amount of calories. This book presents ways to maximize the nutritional value of the World's Healthiest Foods while minimizing preparation time through quick and easy recipes.
Published May 1st 2007 by G M F Pub (first published July 18th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The World's Healthiest Foods, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The World's Healthiest Foods

Becca
This is my Bible!!! If I could give it 10 stars, I would!

George Mateljan's cooking method lies somewhere between cooked food and raw food. He believes that over-cooking denatures and robs your food of its nutrients (so true!), and that food tastes best when their natural flavor is allowed to shine through. Most of his recipes can be prepared in less than 30 minutes, inclusive of prep time-cutting, washing, etc., so what you get are fast, healthy meals with max nutritive value.

This invaluable r
Steve H
Bulky, verbose, repetitive, and poorly bound. Sounds great, huh? However, the information contained inside this problematic work is worth it. It's essentially a printed version of the World's Healthiest Foods database. Each food gets a 4-10 page treatment of its benefits, preparation, and storage. The repetition comes in when almost every food is prepared one of two ways: healthy steaming or healthy sauteing. A useful one-time reference guide or website.
Pinki Pal
I can say after I read the book I went off sugar and took my family off sugar for a year. It was the best year of our lives. Some of my children were too young to remember but the older two do and give me a bad time about it but they do say it was a good year. they first thought I was crazy but as adults they try to avoid sugar as much as they can.They feel better when they do avoid sugar. It helps my husband's and my health as we try to avoid it. There is same thing to the theory about eating s ...more
Michael
The author has cataloged 100 of the most nutritious foods (that are easily available). He actually has a formula for deciding "nutrient richness": nutrient richness value equals maximum nutrients/minimal calories. Thus most of his top 20 foods are going to be vegetable (low in calories)--Spinach, Swiss chard, crimini mushrooms, asparagus and broccoli--are the top five. Fortunately, he also breaks his choices down by food type. Walnuts and beans are on his list as they are on many other top food ...more
Pamela
The first word out of my mouth when I picked this book up at the library was "Wow!". This book is massive! It looks like an encyclopedia. I took it home, glanced through the 879 very large pages and thought "Wow!" this is exactly what I've been looking for! Every piece of information I've been randomly searching the internet for is contained in this book.

This book is an amazing reference guide! Each vegetable, fruit, fish & shellfish, nuts & seeds, poultry & lean meats, beans &
 Deborah
Sep 06, 2014 Deborah added it
Shelves: nutrition
It really is the essential guide on what makes a food healthy & why whole-foods are best for your health. It offers quick notes on eating to certain disorders from enhancing energy to what foods are essential for good heart health.
Ruth
Totally revolutionized my way of eating and taught me how to cook. If everyone followed the advice in this book we would have less people with chronic disease.
Anne
This has become our Green Bible. The information is very good. The cooking is simple and very healthy. I have not tried anything that was not delicious. For each food it tells you chemically why you should eat it. How to buy it, store it, prepare it and cook it. Nothing takes more than about 15 minutes. He sautes in chicken broth instead of oil and steams most vegetables. I use it as a reference book. The index is excellent. Much of the information is repeated over and over, but that works very ...more
Mike Coville
I did not want to jump on to the bandwagon of some fad diet, I wanted to learn how to eat right and it had be something I could stick to for the rest of my life. An acquaintance of mine recommend for me to checkout a book called “The World’s Healthiest Foods: Essential Guide for the Healthiest Way of Eating” by George Mateljan, he also told me about the author’s website at http://www.whfoods.com/.

To read the complete review please click here.
Liz
This book is an great reference on preparing, cooking and storing the most nutrient dense whole foods. Although I don't use many of the recipes, I've learned the better ways to prepare foods I was already eating and incorporated less popular vegys like kale and mustard greens into my diet. The book explains the best way to cook foods to maximize nutrient content. It has tips like cut up broccoli at least 10 minutes before eating or cooking to facilitate the activation of enzymes which convert nu ...more
Ruhegeist
I actually have a really old book by George called Healthier Eating Guide and Cookbook that looks like a precursor to this book.

I really don't enjoy cooking and my experience with trying to cook healthy meals tends to result in less then tasty dinner which only furthers my not liking to cook. I'm happy to report that after 2 recipes from the book, I'm an extremely happy girl. Even E liked it and ate leftovers! I'm sold on this book. Great reference and education tool.
Marci
If one needs one Nutrition book for reference, this is it! It's the Goldilocks factor--not too complex, not too dumb-downed. The book explores the benefits and nutritional facts of 100 basic foods and incorporates said foods into SIMPLE(less than 1/2 hour prep and cook time)recipes. I asked my local library to buy this book but was told that the book was TOO OLD for purchase (more than 2 years??)
I have a Nutrition Certificate and use/recommend this books in my workshops.
Michelle
This book is what helped me lose all my weight before I got pregnant with Aleah. It teaches about the science of food, which is a real eye-opener. I have a lot of gratitude for the food that God has given us to nourish our bodies. It was such a helpful book. I plan all of my meals based on the principles in this book. I only wish I had the determination I had a couple years ago to stick with eating the worlds most healthiest foods!
Linda
May 02, 2012 Linda rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants to eat healthier
This Book covers all of the nutrient rich foods and gives fast easy recipes to prepare them. It tells you all the vitamins minerals that are contained in various foods and assigns foods a nutrient value. It inspired me to cook more healthy and try vegetables that I have never eaten before. This is a great reference / cook book to have on hand and refer to when creating your menus, making your grocery list and recipes.
Bonnie
This book was recommended to me by my Naturopathy doctor and is one I'd love to own. Gives some great information on how to get the most out of your food (I have been overcooking vegetables my entire life and I had no idea.. lol). Focuses mainly on eating raw vegetables and fruits but offers recipes on almost every type of food (vegetable, fruit, meat) that you can think of.
Brett Hinton
A book that is well worth the purchase price for any family to have on hand. It outlines his formula for determining the "healthiest" foods and covers how best to cook them. My wife bought it for me a couple of years ago and it has been a present that continues to be used frequently. It is more of a reference book than something you would read and put away.
Lili Inu
Amazing compilation of nutritional information in one book! I haven't read everything yet - over 800 pages long. The book also includes simple quick recipes as well as the healthiest way to prepare them. I am giving this book 5 stars for the nutritional portion. The recipes are just an added bonus and I can't wait to try one of them.
Almie
Amazing resource for healthy foods, the varieties, how to prepare them, benefits and adverse effects.
Carmen
Excellent nutritional reference that clearly outlines the health benefits of almost all fruits and vegetables, including their optimal season and cooking suggestions. Also covers fish, meat, poultry & spices. Huge book packed with a lot of valuable information.
Nicole
This book is amazing! It is full of easy, healthy, and tasty recipes. It gives tons of nutritional info as well. basically this book is great for people looking to start a healthy lifestyle but think it is difficult to prepare easy and healthy meals.
Emy
Mar 08, 2012 Emy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: food
I love this book and use it all the time to find out the best ways to cook veggies and keep the most nutrients in. Turns out it is usually steaming and for way less time than I thought. This is my go-to guide for how to prepare any vegetable or fruit.
Jim
May 25, 2012 Jim marked it as to-read
Shelves: try-again-later
Most likely better listed as currently browsing, this book is huge. One of the few books I purchased in the last six months.

Just added his blog feed to his author's page
Melissa
So far--AWESOME! Details about the world's healthiest foods--how to choose them at the store, store them, cook them, and use them to improve your health. It's not a quick read (over 1000 full-size pages) but I am excited to keep going!
Mary
This is a catalog, not a book, so I cannot claim to have read every word. I did, however, find myself trying new fruits and vegetables and hanging onto a few of the recipes. For healthly-eating fanatics, this is the Bible.
Lisa
This book is too overwhelming. I don't love cooking, and I simply couldn't get my arms around it. And most of the recipes seemed to have the same ingredients: add lemon, garlic, olive oil, etc.
Barbara
A bible for healthful eating! This book is jam-packed with easy-to-read nutrition info/advice along with many delicious recipes. A good reference guide for anyone wanting to eat more healthfully.
Jeff Rooney
Important book to have along with your cookbooks. Use as a basic guide for all the foods to give priority in your diet. Lots of great info, recipes, and guidance in getting the best nutrition.
brooke sellers
An essential tool for a health counselor like me. It's a great reference to have on hand, though I should note that almost the entirity of its content is available online at www.whfoods.com.
Heather Moss
This book is absolutely incredible. If you are the least bit concerned about staying healthy through your diet, this really is like a nutritional bible. Lots of statistics, which I love.
Melissa
This book is a great reference book. A little overwhelming...there's just so much. My favorite was the list of all the best fruits and veggies with their nutritional value listed.
  • Dangerous Grains
  • Life Without Bread: How a Low-Carbohydrate Diet Can Save Your Life
  • Know Your Fats: The Complete Primer for Understanding the Nutrition of Fats
  • The Second Brain: A Groundbreaking New Understanding of Nervous Disorders of the Stomach and Intestine
  • Staying Healthy with Nutrition, rev: The Complete Guide to Diet and Nutritional Medicine
  • Fats That Heal, Fats That Kill
  • Caffeine Blues: Wake Up to the Hidden Dangers of America's #1 Drug
  • The Fat Flush Plan
  • Healing With Whole Foods: Asian Traditions and Modern Nutrition
  • The Crazy Makers
  • The Metabolic Typing Diet: Customize Your Diet To: Free Yourself from Food Cravings: Achieve Your Ideal Weight; Enjoy High Energy and Robust Health; Prevent and Reverse Disease
  • Digestive Wellness: How to Strengthen the Immune System and Prevent Disease Through Healthy Digestion
  • Sugar Blues
  • Encyclopedia of Healing Foods
  • Greens Glorious Greens!: More than 140 Ways to Prepare All Those Great-Tasting, Super-Healthy, Beautiful Leafy Greens
  • Eat Fat, Lose Fat: The Healthy Alternative to Trans Fats
  • Healing Spices: How to Use 50 Everyday and Exotic Spices to Boost Health and Beat Disease
  • The 10 Things You Need to Eat: And More Than 100 Easy and Delicious Ways to Prepare Them
Weight Loss Success Without Dieting: True Stories about Losing Weight with the World's Healthiest Foods Cooking Without Fat Baking Without Fat: More Than 100 Delicious, Easy, High-Energy Recipes for Healthy Dessert Eating Healthier Eating Guide & Cookbook World's Healthiest Foods, 2nd Edition: The Force for Change to Health-Promoting Foods and New Nutrient-Rich Cooking