Selected Writings

Selected Writings

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  766 ratings  ·  32 reviews
This volume presents the essentials of Jung's thought in his own words. To familiarize readers with the ideas for which Jung is best known, the British psychiatrist and writer Anthony Storr has selected extracts from Jung's writings that pinpoint his many original contributions and relate the development of his thought to his biography. Dr. Storr has prefaced each extract...more
Published January 1st 1997 by Book-of-the Month Club (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Selected Writings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Selected Writings

Owen Spencer
Carl Jung's writings in this book (and in Man and His Symbols) have greatly increased and improved my understanding of psychology. This is the kind of stuff that attracted me to the field of psychology in the first place. I can't believe that I completed all coursework for a Ph.D. in clinical psychology without reading Jung! Better late than never. The best was saved for last, I guess. This is deep, advanced psychology that may go over the heads of many readers (including those in the field). It...more
Nikki
This was assigned reading for my Jungian Psychology class. We split the large book into three sections, one for each class session. I've enjoyed this reading the most since it's actually Jung's writing, and not writing about Jung (though those materials are valuable as well). I like this collection because it includes material from throughout Jung's career and is carefully selected and highlighted by Anthony Storr. It's really a walk-through of all of Jung's concepts (archetypes, Self, shadow, e...more
Nicholas
This is a successful attempt at distilling a huge intellectual output into one volume.Inevitably it is challenging in places, especially the section on Alchemy,and the vocabulary used can sometimes have you reaching for the big dictionary but the insights come along frequently enough to keep you motivated.
kate
I have since read several books written by Jung and this is an excellent introduction. Was pleased to discover that jung has been resonating through my life for a decade, without proper credit. His ideas are very interesting - like me, he applies psychology at an individual level and at a societal level. and freud has never worked for me, I am not sure how anyone takes him seriously.

This book excerpts and breaks down many key ideas and provides footnotes and details to flesh out, clarify and ex...more
Philip
I find myself in agreement with Jung many times, especially as a critic of society and concerning the psychic "shadow" he has a believer in me. And yet, at other times I just can't fathom what on earth he is talking about, especially concerning this whole abracadabra business with alchemy; but that's probably mainly due to my own deficit in the field. I am also skeptical about the "animus" and "anima" branch of his theory.

My main objection, however, to his work is that he seems to disallow for t...more
Michael Graeme
Along with Dreams Memories and Reflections, this selection of Jung's "essential" writings is the best place to start in uncovering the man and his ideas.
Stephanie Ricker
I must say I’m becoming a fan of good old Carl. I’m glad I read Freud first, as it’s giving me a good background helping me to understand Jung.
DJ Seifert
Jung continues to revive my understanding of self/psyche and in relationship with others to include the many figures/images/archetypes that make up the sub and collective consciousness, some of which I wish to better understand and see consciously to include shaking off the shards and embracing the avatars that support a transcendence and "transmutes our personal destiny into the destiny of [humankind], and evokes in us all those beneficent forces that ever and anon have enabled humanity to find...more
Columbus
An excellent introduction to Jungian psychology, very tightly and skillfully edited to allow the reader to read a single line of Jung's thought over several different sources. It touches on the whole spectrum of Jung's work; his doctoral thesis, his divergence with Freud, his confrontation with the unconscious, the anima and animus, the psychological types and functions, his study of alchemy, and excerpts from Answer to Job and The Undiscovered Self.

Those who are looking to get into Jungian psy...more
Bharath Ramakrishnan
If you like Jung's theories on Collective Unconscious, Synchronicity and personality types you will like this book. He makes a genuine and good attempt at aligning religious and scientific thought.
Katrinka
A great sampling of a dude whose thoughts I love (with the exception of his assumptions about gender, but that's another story).
Scott Kinkade
This is the definitive book for anyone looking to study at the feet of Carl Jung. While it's mostly reprints of his various works, the book begins each section by explaining what Jung was trying to say, and gives context for his different theories. From dreams to personalities to UFOs and even the Bible, he's full of fascinating ideas. If you have any interest in philosophy, you owe it to yourself to read this.
Tim Weakley
This might have been a more worthwhile book for a student of psychology. The first half of the book was interesting. I enjoyed the exploration of Jung's work with individuation, the collective unconcious, archetypes etc. The second half of the book concerned his ideas about alchemy which held no appeal for me at all and left me glazed over. The same can be said for the massive amounts of prose on religion.
Mark
I almost rated this but that wouldn't have been honest. My only vague memory of this is that reading Jung's selections at least gave me an introduction to his concept of the collective unconscious, which was very appealing to me in its notion that we all have a sort of neural Web that binds us together.
Al
Finally finished this book yesterday! Good grief! What a long and complex read, though it was very informative and opened my mind to some Jung and gave me an understanding of what some of his theories are. Sheesh...I think after this read I need something light.
Corey
Ok, so this took me over a year to get through and, frankly, some of it was over my head. But I was in Jungian therapy for a decade and credit it with helping me become a better writer. Hence, parts of his writings resonated very deeply with me.
Lily Pilly
I actually read this book a few years ago and plan to read it again and again. It is amazing to think Jung and Freud were working at one stage, isn't it?

I really like this introvert, very sensitive thinker's view of life and living.
Jafar
Archetypes, collected unconscious, and synchronicity? Sound like new age hogwash to me. The writing isn't bad, but Jung was in fierce competition with Freud to see who can exctract more theories directly out of their rectums.
Aaron
Jung does not make for an easy read. This is the best introduction/overview on the market. Anthony Storr does well to give a rounded collection of writings and excepts, so you have a good taste of Jung.
Greg Tilden
The first comprehensive Jung readings I've ever read. A spark in my mind which will further me to read a lot more Jung.
Joshua Finnell
A gap in my philosophical education that was recently filled by Jerome. Thanks Jerome! I will never listen to the Weezer song "Only in Dreams" in quite the same way.
emm
Incredibly thought provoking work from Jung. This is great for anyone interested in the realm of psychology.
I'm a psychology major and I like Carl Jung, but what is he talking about? I need a translator!
Patrick Nylen
Loved this introduction to Jung and his writings. Storr's comments are brief but informative.
Man Solo
Great book that sums up pretty much everything, but very difficult to read.
Holly LeCraw
Still plugging away...editing and commentary by Storr is excellent.
Ted Laderas
Concise introduction to the best of Jung's concepts
Anthony
A man after my own heart... great book.
RJ
The Essential Jung by C. G. Jung (1999)
Kevin
great introduction to señor jung.
  • Re-Visioning Psychology
  • Ego and Archetype: Individuation and the Religious Function of the Psyche
  • Owning Your Own Shadow: Understanding the Dark Side of the Psyche
  • Boundaries of the Soul: The Practice of Jung's Psychology
  • The Origins and History of Consciousness
  • Alchemy: An Introduction to the Symbolism and the Psychology (Studies in Jungian Psychology by Jungian Analysts, 5)
  • Jung's Map of the Soul: An Introduction
  • Cosmos and Psyche: Intimations of a New World View
  • Jung: A Very Short Introduction
  • Music and the Mind
  • A Way of Being
Carl Gustav Jung (/jʊŋ/; German: [ˈkarl ˈɡʊstaf jʊŋ]; 26 July 1875 – 6 June 1961), often referred to as C. G. Jung, was a Swiss psychiatrist and psychotherapist who founded analytical psychology. Jung proposed and developed the concepts of extraversion and introversion; archetypes, and the collective unconscious. His work has been influential in psychiatry and in the study of religion, philosophy,...more
More about C.G. Jung...
Memories, Dreams, Reflections Man and His Symbols The Undiscovered Self Modern Man in Search of a Soul The Archetypes and the Collective Unconscious (Collected Works 9i)