Start by marking “The Golden Road” as Want to Read:
The Golden Road

The Golden Road (The Story Girl #2)

3.94  ·  Rating Details ·  3,879 Ratings  ·  163 Reviews
The Golden Road By L. M. Montgomery - With Summary and Free Audio Book Link

FEATURES:

• Free Audio Book Link

• Novel Summary

• L. M. Montgomery's Biography including photos

• L. M. Montgomery's Top Quotes

• Easy to navigated Active Table of Contents

• High formatting quality and standards, manually crafted by professionals

Background
As a child, Montgomery learned many stori
ebook
Published by Kiddy Monster Publication (first published 1913)

To ask other readers questions about The Golden Road, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Golden Road

kristin
I like the Story Girl, but the theme of The Golden Road is so great. Montgomery called childhood "the golden road", and in this, Bev the grown-up narrator was able to pinpoint the time when they were all just about to leave the golden road. The children only had a small hint at the time that something was about to change, but the adult, looking back, knows.

It's one of those Montgomery books that strikes you while you're reading it as a child, but really reaches you when you read it as an adult.
Naomi Sarah
SNIFFFF. I'm getting sentimental reading this book.

What I love:
1. THOSE KIDS. I love them. Dan, annoying as ever, Felicity, bossy as ever, Cecily, sweet as ever, Peter, lovely as ever, Sara Ray (crying, as ever), Beverly, Felix, and The Story Girl. I love these. WHY DO THEY GROW UP. Nooooo. I consider this ending a sad one, you know.
2. Their magazine. THEIR MAGAZINE. I *love* their magazine. It's the funniest thing ever. My favourite section is Cecily fashion bit. I love that. And the commentary
Elle
Jan 27, 2014 Elle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was a delightful book, I thought it had a little more depth than the first one, though I couldn't say which one is best, it was maybe a little less cheerful, and I thought it so sad how it ended, just the last words. I really enjoyed reading about the love story of the Awkward Man. I really liked the theme of growing up, and how Beverly says that when we are young, we walk the Golden Road.
Uci
Saya tidak pernah mengira buku klasik bisa membuat saya tertawa. Menyentuh, mungkin. Indah, bisa jadi. Bertele-tele, kadang begitu. Tapi siapa sangka bab-bab awal buku ini saja sudah membuat saya tertawa, dan akhirnya tamat dalam satu hari. Berkat terjemahan yang apik, kisah anak-anak Carlisle ini jadi terasa hidup dan lucu dalam bahasa Indonesia-nya. Celetukan-celetukan mereka serta balas-membalas ejekan di antara mereka sungguh menghibur, walaupun saya jadi makin sebal sama Felicity yang sok p ...more
Speakercoret
dapat buku ini di acara bookwar Festival Pembaca Indonesia 2011..
Ada kejadian lucu pas aku dapet buku ini, lucu bagi aku, tapi mungkin menyebalkan buat delisa ma palsay hehehehe *pukpuk* maaf yah hihihihi

Jadi pas aku menjauhi meja bookwar seudah dapet buku ini, tiba2 denger ada yang teriak, "Kak Mute curaaaaaaaaang!!!!"
Pas nengok ternyata delisa lagi mencak2.. aku pikir itu karena dia ngincer buku ini, reaksi aku *perasaan* cuma kasih senyuman manis aja tanpa rasa bersalah..
Seudah bookwar selesa
Elinor  Loredan
Nov 29, 2010 Elinor Loredan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010, l-m-montgomery
Oh, Maud, your characters live and breathe, beautiful and funny. They stay with me like no others.

Gorgeous descriptions as usual, and I really love all the little stories woven into the children's adventures, which are all both hilarious and poignant. The children bicker a lot, but it's obvious they are all fond of each other. I was touched by Felicity's sorrow at the Story Girl's departure.

I particularly like the love story of the Awkward Man, and the characters Peg Bowen and Uncle Blair. The
Francie
I liked The Golden Road better than The Story Girl. It was touching, sweet and funny and had more depth than the first volume.

Beverly was still the least tangible personality of the lot but not as much as before and I rather liked him as a narrator, fondly looking back at his childhood, this time.

Maybe it helped that I was familiar with the characters before and I guess I should reread The Story Girl some time, as I enjoyed reading The Golden Road that much.
Books Kids Like
The King cousins and Peter decide to publish a magazine. Beverly is the editor and everyone else writes a particular section. The magazine features an editorial, a work of fiction, personals, an etiquette and household department, and fashion notes. This endeavor helps them endure the dreary winter months. Other adventures beckon as well. One day, while Uncle Alec and Aunt Janet are away, a woman comes to visit. They assume that she is their Great-Aunt Eliza. Knowing that she is deaf, Dan makes ...more
Katri
Sep 12, 2008 Katri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: l-m-montgomery
The Golden Road is even more episodic than The Story Girl, perhaps, and maybe that's why I took a fairly long time reading it, returning to it every now and then when I felt like this kind of reading. I loved it, nevertheless, the stories that were at times heartwarming, at times wistful or even scary, but always have that combination of life and beauty which is characteristic of Montgomery. There's a bittersweet air of the end of childhood, with the narrator Beverley looking back to those years ...more
Rosalba
Feb 13, 2016 Rosalba rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lm-montgomery
It took me a while while reading "The Story Girl", but by now I have fully warmed up to the Kings, who are a lovely bunch, all of them. Each child's distinctive personality comes through beautifully in this book, and they're such fun. I thoroughly enjoyed this story, which is just a long homage to childhood and growing up in PEI. I actually think it's one of the funniest LMM books I've read, the newspaper editions in particular I always looked forward to. Maud Montgomery has done it again, makin ...more
Ashley Moman
May 23, 2012 Ashley Moman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Few books capture the innocence of childhood as do the works of L.M. Montgomery. I loved her books as a little girl, and I love them still now. This one ends bittersweet - childhood innocence giving way to adulthood.
Tirzah Eleora
Dec 29, 2015 Tirzah Eleora rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
Typical fare of L. M. Montgomery-wordy Victorian nonsense. Not the worst book I've read, but not my cup of tea.
Ira Book Lover
Mar 30, 2012 Ira Book Lover rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buku-jalan-jalan
Reread, 2nd Review, 7 February 2016

"Lama berselang, kita semua pernah menapakkan kaki di sebuah jalan indah keemasan. Jalanan lebar penuh kenangan, bersaput bayang-bayang dan bermandikan sinar mentari; setiap kelokan dan turunan menyajikan pesona segar dan keindahan baru bagi hati yang penuh semangat dan mata yang belum banyak melihat.

...

Mungkin jalan keemasan itu telah lama kita tinggalkan, akan tetapi kenang-kenangannya adalah yang paling berharga di antara harta milik kita yang abadi; ..."

(Th
LobsterQuadrille
The Golden Road is the magical and melancholy sequel to The Story Girl, in which Bev, Dan, Cecily, Sara Ray, Sara Stanley, and Carlisle's other colorful characters return for more misadventures.
L.M. Montgomery's writing is lovely and evocative as usual, though it sometimes crosses over into "purple prose" territory, especially in Blair Stanley's elaborate verbal observations. The characters are lovable as ever(though Felix is quite a flat character and doesn't really do much of anything), the
Ashley Perham
Jan 28, 2016 Ashley Perham rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tarissa
Jan 21, 2013 Tarissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh, I sooo enjoyed this sequel to "The Story Girl". Both of them together create the most delightful of books.

Now that I've finished reading it, I feel sad to leave my new friends behind. Beverley, Felix, Cecily, Peter, Felicity, Dan, Sara Ray, and, of course, Sara Stanley (better known as the Story Girl). Such charming friends that I won't soon be forgetting. Oh, and Patrick Grayfur too, for a good cat mustn't be forgotten either.

Their antics kept me laughing, and their paltry tragedies molded
crystal lawrenz
Apr 14, 2015 crystal lawrenz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Word Artist

A word is dead,
When it is said,
Some say,
I say it just,
Begins to live,
That day. E. Dickenson.
L.M. Montgomery certainly seemed to live by that poem, because when you read her words you yourself are transported to her world. She writes and it's like your going home, but as if you haven't been there in a while and you are ecstatic at seeing your old haunts again. You feel in her writing the joy of youth,the pain of loss, the expectation of the future. You look at the future without f
Stacey (wanderlustforwords67)
3.5-3.75

The story of a group of cousins, a couple of whom's parents left them with their Aunts and Uncles to be raised, experience life together on TGR. Like real life, there are adventures and tragedies, conflicts and resolutions, imagination and reality, beginnings and conclusions. The lives of the cousins are interwoven, but each has a distinct and individual voice. For most of the book I wasn't conscious that I was reading a children's story; in my opinion its the mark of a good storyteller
Fadila Rahma Sari
Apr 27, 2015 Fadila Rahma Sari rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: klasik
Saya ga rela buku ini tamat. Rasanya kata-kata ga bakal bisa menerjemahkan reaksi-reaksi yang bergejolak di dalam diri saya mengenai buku ini. Singkatnya; keren, keren banget.
Buku ini bikin saya dipenuhi oleh rasa bahagia yang aneh. Rasanya, begitu buka buku ini kupu-kupu menebar bubuk bahagia ke muka saya.
Saya menangisi masa kanak-kanak saya, dan saya jadi lebih peka dengan alam sekitar saya. Duh, klise banget kelihatannya. Tapi bener deh, pendeskripsian dan gaya bahasa buku ini pas dan ga meny
LemonLinda
Sep 13, 2012 LemonLinda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This second of the Story Girl series was just as delightful as the first. Again, we visit with the King cousins and friends and share in their many adventures and stories. This year they decide to publish a family newspaper complete with editorials, an etiquette column, a household hints column, a fashion column, a personals column, a fiction and poetry page, and a section for exciting adventures. And the paper is just as much fun as the rest of the story all filled with a lively imagination and ...more
Meg
Nov 25, 2009 Meg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
I'm so glad that I read this book. I loved the Story Girl however I was a little disappointed when it ended; I felt there was more to tell. So when I read this book I was much relieved. Of course there were more stories to tell! You can't read the Story Girl without reading this book and vice versa.

This book made me reflect on my own childhood and all the good times I had exploring the woods and building forts. It actually gave me more drive to create lasting memories with my children. It's such
Theresa
Even lovelier than the first. And more sad. L.M.Montgomery is very good at making things sweet and sad.

The crazy witch in the woods cracked me up at every turn. All of her predictions came true.

I truly don't think Felicity deserves Peter but he loves her so if in the end he gets her, I guess I want him to have her. Poor sad Cecily. All of it was too much.

I felt like young child all over again reading these two books. I could read them over and over.
As with all Montgomery's series, I liked the second book more than the first. The characters were a bit more adult, and we found out more about them and got deeper into them. Again, the Finnish translation felt a bit too modern for me and somewhat annoying ("Meidän Lehti" and the other missing possessive suffixes, argh!), but I'm starting to get used to it.
Jane Francisca
May 02, 2012 Jane Francisca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
I love L.M. Montgomery Novel...

I love Golden Road, even the main characters are children with simple minds but its have full meaning. I've learn a lot from this novel. Reading this novel is full of FUN and makes me HAPPY until I really miss when it reached the last page of this novel.

Thank you L.M. Montgomery

Trine
Jul 12, 2011 Trine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice sequel or should I say continuation to The Story Girl. Perhaps a bit more about the childrens' lives and less stories than the first book, but I liked that. I would have liked to know a bit more their future lives, but perhaps that would just have ruined the atmosphere of the Golden Road of Youth.
Erin Cox
Jul 23, 2007 Erin Cox rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have to add the disclaimer that this novel falls into a select number of books I've never finished... not because I didn't love them, but because I donn't want them ever to be over.

my mom thinks it strange and slightly unhealthy, so you wouldn't be alone in that opinion, should you be so inclined:)
ABC
Mar 25, 2013 ABC rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: older-kids
I was worried sick about poor, sweet Cecily. I skipped to the end because I couldn't stand it---I had to find out what happened to her!

I thought the Peg Bowen character was a nice and creepy touch. At the beginning, I thought it would turn she was really just a good and misunderstand old lady, but Montgomery really made her into a hag of sorts.
Arilla
Oct 06, 2011 Arilla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have been reading this book for years... i love Lucy Maud, the quiet humor and warmth of her people are relaxing and good to read. the story girl is someone you would like to know and talk to, definatly listen to... just a good book. not shakespeare but who wants to read shakespeare all the time?
Naurah Nazifa
Aug 03, 2013 Naurah Nazifa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read The Story Girl, and then in a beautiful day I fine The Golden Road, after months of searching. This book definitely gives readers warm feeling, a motivation to be a good soul, simply figuring a beautiful life. A book with many good souls inside, that's all I can say.
Debora Chang
Nov 15, 2010 Debora Chang rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
very entertaining!! deeply amazed on how a simple, daily event can become a very interesting story in the hand of a good story teller..
  • The Story Girl Earns Her Name (Road to Avonlea, #2)
  • Lucy Maud Montgomery: The Gift of Wings
  • Just Patty
  • Maud: The Life of L.M. Montgomery
  • Looking for Anne of Green Gables: The Story of L. M. Montgomery and Her Literary Classic
  • Clover (Carr Family, #4)
  • The Wouldbegoods (Bastable Children, #2)
  • A Garland for Girls
  • Anne of Green Gables Treasury
  • The War with Mr. Wizzle (MacDonald Hall, #4)
  • Mother Carey's Chickens
  • Trixie Belden and the Mystery Off Old Telegraph Road (Trixie Belden, #20)
  • The Hollow Tree
  • Dandelion Cottage (Dandelion Cottage, #1)
  • Treasures from Grandma (Grandma's Attic, #4)
  • At the Foot of the Rainbow
  • Greyfriars Bobby
  • The Mysterious Visitor (Trixie Belden, #4)
Lucy Maud Montgomery was a Canadian author, best known for a series of novels beginning with Anne of Green Gables, published in 1908.

The author of the famous Canadian novel Anne of Green Gables, Lucy Maud Montgomery, was born at Clifton, Prince Edward Island, Nov. 30, 1874. She came to live at Leaskdale, north of Uxbridge Ontario, in 1911 after her wedding with Rev. Ewen Macdonald on July 11, 1911
More about L.M. Montgomery...

The Story Girl (2 books)
  • The Story Girl (The Story Girl, #1)

“There's something very solemn about the idea of a new year, isn't there? Just think of three hundred and sixty-five whole days with not a thing happened in them yet.” 0 likes
“Once upon a time we all walked on the golden road. It was a fair highway, through the Land of Lost Delight; shadow and sunshine were blessedly mingled, and every turn and dip revealed a fresh charm and a new loveliness to eager hearts and unspoiled eyes.

On that road we heard the song of morning stars; we drank in fragrances aerial and sweet as a May mist; we were rich in gossamer fancies and iris hopes; our hearts sought and found the boon of dreams; the years waited beyond and they were very fair; life was a rose-lipped comrade with purple flowers dripping from her fingers.

We may long have left the golden road behind, but its memories are the dearest of our eternal possessions; and those who cherish them as such may haply find a pleasure in the pages of this book, whose people are pilgrims on the golden road of youth.”
0 likes