Start by marking “True to the Law (Bitter Springs #2)” as Want to Read:
True to the Law (Bitter Springs #2)

True to the Law (Bitter Springs #2)

3.78  ·  Rating Details  ·  248 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
He was on the hunt for a runaway beauty

Find her” is the only instruction that private detective Cobb Bridger receives from Richard Mackey. The scion of a wealthy Chicago family, Mackey is desperate to know the whereabouts of the woman who disappeared from his employ, taking with her something of great value. Intrigued as much by what Mackey won’t say about the missing ite
Published May 7th 2013 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about True to the Law, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about True to the Law

Misfit
"Miss Morrow has something that belongs to me. I want it back."

I guess you could call this a sequel to Goodman's The Last Renegade since it is set in the same town, Bitter Springs, Wyoming. Cobb Bridger is hired by wealthy businessman Richard Mackey to retrieve property he claims was stolen from him by Tru Morrow (she used to be a caretaker/companion of his ailing grandmother). Cobb finds Tru working as the new schoolteacher in Bitter Springs, but he's intrigued with Tru and curious as to *what*
Linda
A pleasant continuation of the Bitter Springs saga. The H/h are new characters, many of the townspeople are back with their quirky dialog and a few are visiting elsewhere.

My favorite quote from the story: "You're going to have to marry me, Tru. You told me that if I proposed to you, you'd have to understand the urgency and know my purpose. I haven't forgotten. The urgency is no different for a drowning man than it is for me. I want to breathe the same air you do."

Keri
Cobb has been tasked with a job of locating Ms. Gertrude. Once Cobb found the pretty little teacher in Bittercreek, he was determined to be the teacher's pet. Once Tru had a taste of Cobb's kisses she was determined that he was going to pet the teacher. :-) I am loving this series and Jo Goodman continues to deliver. This story was a lot of fun and had unexpected depth as these two figure out how to love one another. Can't wait for the next one.
Laura (Kyahgirl)
3.5/5; 4 stars; B+

I am a fan of Jo Goodman, predominantly because I like her characters so much. There are a lot of basic decent principles underlying the behaviour of most of her characters. Plus, I'm a sucker for small towns and the whole dynamic that prevails when everyone knows everyone else.

This book wasn't quite as strong as The Last Renegade by Jo Goodman,which also took place in Bitter Springs Wyoming but it was still an engaging western romance with a bit of mystery thrown in.

I sincerely hope the author is going t
Shauni
Originally reviewed for Bodice Rippers, Femme Fatales and Fantasy

I have long been a fan of Jo Goodman. She has this unique style of writing that just draws a reader in. In a Jo Goodman novel you will find strong characters with not so traditional views on life. Of course they are probably more accurate than we would think.

True to the Law is part of her Bitter Creek series and once again the Pennyroyal hotel plays an important part. And the characters of Bitter Creek are great. Just what one woul
Jane
Actual rating 3.5 stars.

I'm going to put only one quote here that I really liked from this book. If you'd care to read a few lines about my opinion, click HERE

“You’re going to have to marry me, Tru. You told me that if I proposed to you, you’d have to understand the urgency and know my purpose. I haven’t forgotten. The urgency is no different for a drowning man than it is for me. I want to breathe the same air you do.”
Tru lifted her head to search his face. “And your purpose?”
“Besides the fact
Silver James
True to the Law (Bitter Springs #2) by Jo Goodman This second book in the Bitter Springs, Wyoming series gives us further enjoyment as the citizens of Bitter Springs face new challenges. The children are back in school because Raine Berry Coltrane has hired a new schoolmarm, Ms. Gertrude "Tru" Morrow. All the regulars are back in full force and effect, especially young brother Rabbit and Finn.

Enter the powerful Mackey family from Chicago, the heirs of Tru's former employer, Charlotte Mackey. Andrew Mackey has been charged by the family to fin
Lynsey A
Reading this book and other more recent works by Jo Goodman I've noticed a difference in tone in her writing. I can't say exactly what it is but it is different enough from her older books that I take notice. I'm not sure I like it but not exactly sure that I don't. It is just different and will take some getting used to.

In parts I felt very little emotion from Tru and I think part of that is the change in writing tone for Goodman. After the first sex scene I definitely wanted more emotion, espe
Sandy M
Jun 19, 2013 Sandy M rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: western, historical
When I began reading this book, I had no idea it’s related to The Last Renegade. I just wanted a good western, and I know Jo Goodman always delivers one. Something niggled in the back of my mind during the prologue, but it wasn’t until Finn, and then Rabbit, appeared on the pages that I knew I was back in Bitter Springs, Wyoming. It’s going to be a very long time before I forget these two brothers. They are stars in their own right in these books, and I sure hope Ms. Goodman either keeps writing ...more
Pat
Jul 31, 2013 Pat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After reading The Last Renegade, the first book in this series, I couldn’t imagine how Goodman could possibly follow up such a delightful and enjoyable tale with anything better. Now I know since she’s outdone herself with this book.

Set again in Bitter Springs, Wyoming, the story opens with detective Cobb Bridger being hired in Chicago by Andrew Mackey III to find Gertrude Morrow, who Andrew says has stolen something from him. Although Cobb asks, Andrew refuses to say what was stolen. He only wa
Cocktails and Books
Mar 27, 2013 Cocktails and Books rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cnb-reviewers
I loved this book. Intriguing, sexy, and exciting, the author has put together a cast of fun, sharp witted characters who bring to life a western romance full of secrets, mystery and lust. The pace is perfect, keeping the suspense in the air and the character development flowing beautifully. The storyline is familiar, yet unique. Set in Wyoming in 1889, True to the Law is so well written, reminiscent of a John Ford classic.

The heroine in the book, Tru, was my favorite character. She is easily li
Cecily
Oct 08, 2014 Cecily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-archive
I'm not sure I understand why other reviewers feel that this book is the weakest in the three part series, or that there aren't enough fireworks between Cobb and Tru. I didn't have any trouble in identifying the passion between these two - the professionally unprovokable man and the introverted woman. It wasn't 'wham bam up against a wall' fireworks but there was a quiet steadfastness about the growing feelings between them that, for me at least, made for a very satisfying read. I find the certa ...more
Emma
Jun 17, 2013 Emma rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Consider yourself warned : between Tru and Cobb the sparks fly... NOT. And I mean really really NOT.
Why, Jo Goodman, did you do that to them ?? The writing is great and the Wide West setting is wonderful but poor Tru and Cobb needed more time.
I can't say they didn't have any kind of chemistry but it was so tiny it needed a lot more time to grow. Why did they start sleeping together, I wonder, because it didn't seem like they wanted to at that point.
Maybe Tru and Cobb were this kind of B story
cheryl ann crenshaw
Really enjoyed.

Really enjoyed.

Great second book in No Goldman's Bitter Springs series. Well thought out characters that everyone can enjoy. And the ever funny Rabbit and Finn. They keep the story light-hearted and fun to read.
Jultri
Jan 09, 2016 Jultri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In usual Jo Goodman fashion, the citizens of Bitter Springs were vividly portrayed and their interactions and dialogues provided for much of the amusement, especially Finn and Rabbit. Cobb made for a great hero - intelligent, witty, strong yet unafraid to be in tune with his emotions. Tru countered him brilliantly in her repartees. What let this book down a bit was why she allowed them to be physically intimate after a brief acquaintance only, which to me seemed contrary to her personality and h ...more
Mary Beth
While the plotting and climax in this book were not as good as the first one, it was still an enjoyable read. Because I had read the third book in the series first, I was already familiar with the hero, Cobb Bridger. I liked his character well enough to want to read his story.

Goodman's villains in this book are very manipulative and sneakily evil.

Finn and Rabbit, two young brothers who appear in each of the three books did have me laughing out loud with their antics in this one. I also liked Co
Blackjack
May 17, 2013 Blackjack rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
True to the Law, Jo Goodman - I love Jo Goodman's books and this is the first western of hers that I've read. This book didn't unfortunately work that well for me, but I don't attribute that to the setting as I enjoyed reading a romance set in late 19th-century Wyoming. One thing I really love about Goodman's writings are the way we enter the world she constructs for her characters as they require the reader to immerse themselves into them and allow the characterizations and the mystery at the h ...more
Ellie
Jul 31, 2013 Ellie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
True to the Law by Jo Goodman
Grade: C+

“I want to breath the same air you do.”

Tru Marrow left her old life in Chicago and has started fresh as the new school teacher of Bitter Springs, Wyoming. Tru is finally at peace with her past and ready to start her future when a stranger comes into town and starts bringing up her past. Tru doesn’t know what to make of Cobb Bridger but she knows she feels something for him she has never felt for another. Soon her past makes it to Bitter Springs and the truth
Barb Klein
Jo Goodman wrote The Last Renegade, which I read previously, and as a companion novel, wrote True to the Law. I enjoyed reading each one. I recognized some of the characters who were noted in the second novel and that gave me a basis for things that occurred in the current novel.

Cobb Bridger was employed by Andrew Mackey to locate Gertrude Morrow, who had been a companion to his Aunt Charlotte. He hinted that she had stolen something from her employer before she left and that he wanted her found
Idamaro
Aug 19, 2015 Idamaro rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While this wasn't my favorite by Jo Goodman i've still enjoyed it.
The main characters are level-headed and they exhibit a mature behavior. No TSTL moments or predictable plot.
The dialogue is sheer perfection. Goodman has a “feel” for writing brilliant dialogue that just seems to flow and moves the story along.
A high quality western romance with well crafted characters!
Mary
Mar 06, 2015 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
There are certain scenes that literally have me laughing out loud - and they all revolve around Finn Collins. In true Jo Goodman style, "True to the Law" is a laconic read with subtle humor, witty dialogues, and sensual romance. I love the supporting characters that make up the people of Bitter Springs, especially the mischievous Finn and Rabbit Collins. Wonderful read - best one in the Bitter Springs series.
Raye
Goodman writes excellent historical romance, and this, like her others, is set in the American West. Pinkerton detective Cobb Bridger is sent to Bitter Springs, Wyoming to find schoolteacher Tru Morrow. But he finds more than he bargains for in a small town that welcomes him in and a young woman who may be his match.
Tina
3.5 stars.

A double shot review with this book and it's follow-up, In Want of a Wife -- Can be found Here

Michele
May 06, 2015 Michele rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is difficult if impossible to pick a favorite of the Bitter Springs trilogy. True to the Law is the center piece. As with all of Goodman that I have read to date, the relationships between the hero and heroine are mature and well developed. The humor is parenthetical, not interruptive. The writing is literate and draws on a solid appreciation of history and western knowledge. Highly recommended.
Jackie
Jul 23, 2014 Jackie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Really enjoyed the laconic hero and smart, teasing heroine, as well as Goodman's strong writing and the appealing small-town she creates. Could have done without the last hero-rescues-heroine scene, though...
Philippa Lodge
May 18, 2014 Philippa Lodge rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't love this as much as the first and third in the series. Still very good. Maybe I read them in too-short sequence, because it sends like I liked it better the first time I read it when it was first out.
SweetSue
Dec 25, 2015 SweetSue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another winner from Jo Goodman. She is my new favorite library author (where I find older books). I read In Want of a Wife first and loved it. This one was not quite as fabulous, but still so very, very good. Both the H/h were well drawn, with interesting backgrounds that motivated their actions, but they didn't try to keep everything a secret from each other. They actually communicated and once their relationship started, they didn't act like they weren't attracted to each other. The secondary ...more
MB (What she read)
2.5 stars. A good book and enjoyable but I question the plot premise and really doubt 'real' people would behave this way. (view spoiler) ...more
Betsy
Aug 28, 2014 Betsy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Characters: school teacher with a past, private investigator
World Building: schoolroom?
Plot: A question of stolen goods and inheritance
Sex: Medium to tepid
Read another: Probably
Laylah
What can I say? I love Jo Goodman. I've been waiting for this book. I loved loved loved the previous books in the series. I hope this is just an aberration. Actually, I really hope this is not hers. It doesn't read like hers, especially after Andrew Mackey showed up in town. It is fine until that point and then it's like I'm reading a totally different author's. Something is really off. The dialogues, the love scenes, everything. Again, I love Jo Goodman. I threw away a book I was reading while ...more
  • Audrey and the Maverick (Men of Defiance, #2)
  • The Wives of Bowie Stone
  • Without Words
  • Bride of the High Country (Runaway Brides, #3)
  • Her Wyoming Man
  • Boots Under Her Bed
  • The Gunslinger's Untamed Bride (Bride, #2)
  • Rafe's Redemption
  • The Redemption of Micah (Plum Creek, #2)
To find characters to illustrate my first family saga, I cut out models from the Sears catalogue. I was in fourth grade, but it was a start. In seventh grade I wrote a melodrama about two orphan sisters, one of whom was pregnant. There was also a story about a runaway girl with the unlikely name of Strawberry and one about mistaken identities and an evil blind date. My supportive, but vaguely conc ...more
More about Jo Goodman...

Bitter Springs (3 books)
  • The Last Renegade (Bitter Springs #1)
  • In Want of a Wife (Bitter Springs #3)