Start by marking “The Fabric of Faithfulness: Weaving Together Belief and Behavior” as Want to Read:
The Fabric of Faithfulness: Weaving Together Belief and Behavior

The Fabric of Faithfulness: Weaving Together Belief and Behavior

Professors, campus ministers, parents, youth pastors and others who are concerned with college students face an immense challenge. How do you help Christian students, during one of the most eventful and intense periods of their lives, learn to connect what they believe about the world with how they live in the world? Drawing on the history of ideas, ethics, sociology and a ...more
Published February 11th 2007 by IVP Books (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Fabric of Faithfulness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fabric of Faithfulness

Tim Hoiland
Jul 19, 2013 Tim Hoiland rated it really liked it
Steven Garber's book The Fabric of Faithfulness: Weaving Together Belief and Behavior (IVP) came highly recommended, and now I see why. Garber currently leads The Washington Institute in DC, “a place to explore common grace for the common good.”

In working with students over many years, Garber noticed that the university setting is often an environment that allows room for private beliefs and opinions, but it isn’t comfortable with affirmations of public truths, especially ones clearly connected
Laura Anne
May 13, 2007 Laura Anne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: high school through adult
This is one of my favorite books. Though geared for adults working with teens, college students, and young adults, I think it is great for young people themselves. Why do you get up in the morning? What is the meaning of life? How do we form cares and commitments that are sustainable for a lifetime? These are just some of the thoughtful questions Garber explores in this book as the reader learns about answering the "essay questions of life." He echoes Jacques Ellul's words in advising, "Remember ...more
Donovan Richards
Apr 07, 2014 Donovan Richards rated it liked it
A Purpose-Driven Life

We’ve all heard about the mission statement. Every business conjures one to varying degrees of success. But why? Everyone talks about mission but have you considered the reason behind it? In truth, mission statements should spell out the purpose behind a company, the principles around which employees can unite and work together.

Sadly, many people never truly comprehend purpose. Many can’t put into words the reasons for why they get up in the morning. As a result, people shif
Dec 31, 2008 Molly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kelly O told me to read this book years ago, and I finally am getting around to it. But, I've only read the introduction, so you'll have to check back later to know what I think of it.
I finally finished this book over Thanksgiving break, and I was totally blown away by it. Everyone in the world of education should read this book - I get why Kelly bugged me about reading it for so long! Basically the author is talking about what makes a faithful life and the role that education plays in that
Jeff Bobin
This is a great read for those that are really looking to integrate their faith and work.

Written by the Director of the Washington Institute of Faith, Vocation and Culture he lives and works in maybe the most challenging environment there is to challenge people to live out their faith in the midst of the work they do.

This book is being read by out college kids and I think will challenge them in ways they will respond to as they are experiencing the faith of their parents is not what they want
Feb 28, 2008 Joel rated it really liked it
Recommended to Joel by: Kevin Twit
A study on what Eugene Peterson calls "a life of congruence," one's life being consistent with one's beliefs. An academic study, Garber's main points, 1 - developing a worldview, 2- having a mentor who lives this worldview, and 3- finding a community that pursues with you to live their worldview. The more I think about it the more I see the truth in his observations, not only in my life but in the students I work with. His research is thorough, illustrated in his impeccable selection of quotatio ...more
Jan 29, 2016 Jeremy rated it really liked it
This was an academic book discussing what the author purports as the three keys to enduring faith beyond college: a clearly developed worldview, a mentor, and a community of mutual support. It was a riveting work to me, though Garber is far from succinct in drawing his conclusions.

If you enjoy philosophy and thinking slowly through problems, this is a great read. If you are in college ministry looking for simple tips, focus on providing the three things I mentioned above (the thesis of Garber's
matthew kaemingk
Apr 10, 2007 matthew kaemingk rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: those who want to know why they should get up in the morning....
American universities are spitting out shallow unreflective and selfish consumer driven alumni every single year. Education has been turned into a business and a college degree into a hunting license for a seek and destroy individualistic society. Garber's book is most certainly the cure. He calls for a return to the question of the meaning of education, vocation, and ultimately life. Education can not be divorced from the question of ethics, values, and responsibility and Garber provides a way ...more
Feb 26, 2008 Danielle rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Danielle by: Dr. Howard
I had to read this for class...totally worth it!

An intense read that captivates heart and mind. It truly made me sit back and contemplate the power and importance in having an integrated worldview. Definitely a must-read for those who question the complexities of life.

P.S. don't be afraid to need to sit by a computer or dictionary as not many terms, people are previously identified by the author. Oh and have fun pronouncing the Russian names!
Jan 09, 2012 Kelly rated it it was amazing
helpful, practical & delightfully well-written. garber articulates the struggle of connecting belief with behavior in the university setting with refreshing clarity. if you're a student, teacher, professor, parent, campus minister or recent grad, i would HIGHLY recommend this accessible 'academic study' of a book. i'm willing to bet it will be one of the best things I read in 2012.
Jan 16, 2010 Michael rated it really liked it
I read this one a few years ago. It would make a nice gift for a graduating high school senior or college freshman as it deals in a thoughtful way with how to live a faithful Christian life during those crucial college years.
Brad H
Oct 13, 2007 Brad H rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: college students
Excellent book once you get used to Garber's style. I very much enjoyed his perspective, observations and historical points of consideration. I could read it several times more and get more out of it each time.
Jonathan Ingraham
Jul 09, 2012 Jonathan Ingraham rated it it was amazing
One of the most influential books I have ever read. This book challenges me to live out a life that connects with the things I believe. A must read for all college students and those working in higher education.
Craig Toth
May 06, 2009 Craig Toth rated it really liked it
This book focuses on how contemporary higher education contributes to the erosion of the idea of absolute truth in modern consciousness. The author gives examples of people who live with integrity, as well as those who have succumbed to the pragmatism of modernity.
Jun 11, 2015 Bronwyn rated it it was amazing
Nearly twenty years from its publication, this book still has profound relevance to the plight of university students struggling to meaningfully connect belief with behavior amidst the crises of postmodernism. Highly recommended.
Mar 31, 2010 Gwyneth rated it really liked it
Read this book with students throughout the semester. Perfect for the college years, although applicable to many other times in life. Overall, I think it was helpful for students but maybe a bit repetitive. Thinking about using portions for next semester.
Sep 16, 2008 BeCa rated it it was amazing
Brilliant and gripping! A great challenge to find and help others find a sustainable worldview and community to match. Especially relevant for college age to twenty-somethings and helpful for those engaged in young adult ministry.
Jim F.
Oct 07, 2016 Jim F. rated it it was amazing
Moving. Thought-provoking. My reading of this book...over a period of several months...opened the way to numerous conversations with my kids, friends, and colleagues about faith and its formation during the college years. A must read for Christian educators.
Feb 23, 2012 Deanna rated it really liked it
I want to re-read this book. It was chock-full of thought-provoking ideas and knowledge about the university's role in a college student's life.
Jan 17, 2008 Kate rated it it was amazing
My life is changed becaus of this book. Can't say enough about it. incredibly insightful - becomes more so with each passing year. This book gives me a faith I can live within.
Geoffrey Kerns
Geoffrey Kerns rated it it was ok
Jan 17, 2016
Matthew Robinson
Matthew Robinson rated it liked it
May 21, 2016
Heidi Johnston
Heidi Johnston rated it it was amazing
Sep 07, 2007
Andrew rated it really liked it
Oct 21, 2011
Cassie rated it it was amazing
Nov 18, 2011
Joshua rated it liked it
Aug 10, 2014
Hannah rated it it was amazing
Aug 13, 2013
Jess Lehman
Jess Lehman rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2014
Sam rated it it was amazing
Feb 09, 2012
Jeremy rated it really liked it
May 23, 2007
  • Culture Making: Recovering Our Creative Calling
  • Art in Action: Toward a Christian Aesthetic
  • Connecting
  • Sacred Companions: The Gift of Spiritual Friendship Direction
  • Paul for Everyone: The Prison Letters: Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians, and Philemon
  • Longing to Know: The Philosophy of Knowledge for Ordinary People
  • Spiritual Formation as If the Church Mattered: Growing in Christ Through Community
  • Big Questions, Worthy Dreams: Mentoring Young Adults in Their Search for Meaning, Purpose, and Faith
  • Plowing in Hope: Toward a Biblical Theology of Culture
  • Rich Christians in an Age of Hunger: Moving from Affluence to Generosity

“Kenya, Kazakhstan and K Street too? Yes...that all of God's people might love and serve him with gladness and singleness of heart, in our various vocations taking the wounds of the world into our hearts - the heartaches and longings, sorrows and disappointments, and sometimes evil - and finding in that calling that our own hearts are healed too. In N.T. Wright's theologically rich image, becoming healed healers. May it be so.” 1 likes