Start by marking “Murder With the Lot” as Want to Read:
Murder With the Lot

Murder With the Lot (Cass Tuplin #1)

A smart, sassy self-appointed private investigator, Cass Tuplin is unforgettable and the town of Rusty Bore will never be the same...

Cass Tuplin's takeaway isn't the last shop left in Rusty Bore. There's also Vern's General Store. But it's true the town's not exactly overflowing with residents, and a stranger in Cass's shop is quite an event. Especially one like Clarence:
Published February 27th 2013 by Text Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Murder With the Lot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder With the Lot

Marianne
May 27, 2016 Marianne rated it it was amazing
Murder With The Lot is the first book in the Cass Tuplin murder mystery series by Australian science and travel writer, chartered accountant, marine biologist and author, Sue Williams. Rusty Bore, pop. 147, is a dying town in the Victorian Mallee. Almost two years a widow, the owner of Rusty Bore Take Away is in the prime of her life, or so Cass Tuplin, mother of two adult sons, tells herself (and others) on a regular basis, especially when it’s suggested her standards for a prospective partner ...more
Carolyn
Jul 15, 2016 Carolyn rated it really liked it
Cass Tuplin, owner of the local fish and chip and burger takeaway in the small rural town of Rusty Bore is a nosy woman. So she can't help herself when a stranger comes to town and strange things start to happen. She just has to investigate. Her friends and two sons think she's delusional and making things up but Cass knows what she's seen and it's all very suspicious.

Sue Williams has written a humorous mystery set in a small run down Mallee town, suffering from drought. Cass is a funny woman bu
Elaine
Aug 27, 2016 Elaine rated it it was amazing
Shelves: august-reads
Reading the comment on the front cover of Sue's book, I was instantly sucked in. " A well-sauced outback caper, with Chiko Rolls-and murder."Who could resist? And I must say I had a ball with this book. Even though about two thirds in I began to suspect some things I still rushed to the end and was constantly engaged and entertained. Cass is a most unlikely heroine. The owner of a fish and chip shop in a struggling country town, she is frustrating and annoying at times but mostly ballsy and ...more
Karen
Mar 12, 2013 Karen rated it liked it
MURDER WITH THE LOT is set in the fictional Mallee town of Rusty Bore, featuring Cass Tuplin, fish and chip shop owner, mother, and self-appointed private investigator. The story is told all from Cass's viewpoint, a viewpoint which is somewhat skewed towards a ... how should we put this ... less than realistic outlook. Not only is the Mallee still deep in the middle of the drought that just about broke everyone's spirit, but Rusty Bore is a town that's been hit particularly hard. Loss of people ...more
Simone Sinna
Apr 17, 2013 Simone Sinna rated it it was amazing
I went to a Sister in Crime night to hear Katherine Howell (of whom I had read) speak, and the other speaker was a first time author Sue Williams. She was dryly sweet and I put her on my ‘to read’ list, but as comedy crime isn’t really my thing (prefer thrillers) I lingered a bit. Then I won a copy of her book which rather spurred me on to read her, and what a good thing!
Murder with the Lot …is well rather like the title (which she said in the talk was a problem initially because she had her man
Deb Bodinnar
Mar 03, 2013 Deb Bodinnar rated it it was amazing
I got my copy of Murder With the Lot from a Sisters In Crime event where the author was promoting this debut novel. As soon as I heard the setting was a fictional Mallee town (I have spent some time living in this part of Victoria and have a fairly good knowledge of country life), with some unique characters, I knew I would love this book. I was right I could not put this book down. Cass, the local fish'n'chip lady, fancies herself as a "crime solver". However, Dean, the local cop (who also ...more
Michele
Feb 09, 2014 Michele rated it liked it
I agree with Karen's review I really enjoyed it laughing outboard at several parts, but as the story went on I felt 'She can't be that dim surely" and while the police disbelief was understandable they did nothing about her story which seems a bit far fetched .But Fun!
Mike
Sep 10, 2015 Mike rated it it was amazing
Williams is an Australian, with a wonderful tongue-in-cheek style, a mix of subtle and laugh-out-loud humour, individual characters, and a crazy plot that keeps you turning the pages.

Cass Tuplin is a widow running one of the last two retail outlets in the dry and dusty township of Rusty Bore (near Muddy Soak, and Hustle). Vern, up the road, sells everything except the takeaways Cass does so well – when she has customers. Vern wants a merger (read takeover), but Cass isn’t willing to sell. Meanw
Jess
Oct 11, 2014 Jess rated it really liked it
I would like to go to Rusty Bore and order take away from Cass Tuplin. It would be cool if we could chat a bit too. She seems like a great character - a real human with real flaws and quirks and good dose of parental pride in there. Places with names such as Muddy Soak, Hustle and Rusty Bore would definitely be on my itinerary. The settings in this story are vivid and appealing. Who would have thought such little places would be the centre of such a gripping crime story? Take the time to read ...more
Maryanne
Aug 21, 2016 Maryanne rated it it was amazing
Laugh out loud, quirky crime fiction, starring middle-aged female protagonist with two grown sons. Love the small town setting in rural Victoria, Australia, with the shops, places to eat, people to visit and social complications portrayed with dead-on accuracy and humour. Loved the lyrical descriptions of landscape, conveying the stark beauty of rural locations. If you like crime with laughs, home truths, danger and a vividly portrayed setting, you will probably love this book too. A very ...more
Melissa Wray
Sep 18, 2013 Melissa Wray rated it liked it
I listened to Sue Williams speak once and she was terrific to listen to. I couldn't wait to read more about Cass. Her personality came through nice and strong during the story. There was a great Australian theme to story, especially being based in a small outback town.
Kevin Orrman-Rossiter
Aug 09, 2014 Kevin Orrman-Rossiter rated it really liked it
Quirky mystery, with a good storyline, interesting characters with an Australian laconic sense of humour (think of Mother and Son) and a novel murder scenario.
Oanh
A lot of fun to read.
Aussie54
Oct 26, 2016 Aussie54 rated it it was ok
Shelves: library-book, not-gay
The sequel to this book was reviewed in our local newspaper, and since the series is written by an Aussie, and set in the Mallee, I thought I'd give it a go.

Unfortunately my sense of humour is obviously off-skew compared to other readers'. I found the main character, Cass, annoyingly stupid. What she said and did irritated me no end. I had no sympathy for her, and felt sorry for her sons.

I guessed who the murderer was before the end, but kept reading to see how long it would take this bumbling
Diana Hockley
Aug 05, 2013 Diana Hockley rated it it was ok
MURDER WITH THE LOT by Sue Williams
I won't go into the synopsis, as the other reviewers have been meticulous in that regard.

At first I liked this book. Cass appeared to be a funny, hardworking woman who runs a takeaway shop in the outback. However, it soon becomes apparent that this woman is a bit dim. Why would she give a total, bloodied stranger the key to a shack belonging to an elderly man in a nursing home and take five thousand dollars as rent? Five thousand dollars? Really.

Things go downh
Sherry Mackay
Jun 13, 2016 Sherry Mackay rated it liked it
I really enjoyed the very Aussie setting. I thought it was a bit weird tho that the main character who is apparently only 45 is treated as though she were 75 by the writer and the other characters. I really liked Cass and her spunky spirit. I am looking forward to the next book. How many murders can there be in such a small town? We have already had three or four in this first book!
Jean
Feb 15, 2014 Jean added it
Good first try but too much jumping from scene tho scene. Hope there are more good mysteries to come.
Jacq
Nov 07, 2016 Jacq rated it really liked it
Loved it!
Crazy, fun, small town crime mixed in with all the usual eccentricities including a slightly off wack and seriously interfering mum.
Brilliant!
Sue
Sue rated it it was ok
Apr 10, 2016
Kellie
Kellie rated it really liked it
Apr 10, 2014
Nicole
Nicole rated it really liked it
Sep 13, 2014
Joanne
Joanne rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2016
Pepita
Pepita rated it liked it
Jan 26, 2014
jo metcalf
jo metcalf rated it liked it
Oct 02, 2016
Suzieq
Suzieq rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2013
Ciara
Ciara rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2013
Julie
Julie rated it did not like it
Jul 12, 2016
Megnjane
Megnjane rated it it was ok
Jun 13, 2013
Ellie Chapman
Ellie Chapman rated it it was amazing
Jun 10, 2016
Helen Southall
Helen Southall rated it liked it
Apr 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
There is more than one author with this name

Sue Williams is the author of a crime caper series set in Rusty Bore, population 147. Sue was raised in country Victoria and hotly denies this provided any inspiration for her writing.

She's a science writer and chartered accountant who also holds a PhD in marine biology. Sue enjoys bushwalking, growing vegetables and garrotting people who annoy her.*

Murd
More about Sue Williams...

Cass Tuplin (2 books)