Start by marking “Artificial Absolutes (Jane Colt, #1)” as Want to Read:
Artificial Absolutes (Jane Colt, #1)

Artificial Absolutes (Jane Colt #1)

Jane Colt is just another recent college grad working as an Interstellar Confederation office drone—until the day she witnesses her best friend, Adam, kidnapped by a mysterious criminal. An extensive cover-up thwarts her efforts to report the crime, shaking her trust in the authorities. Only her older brother, Devin, believes her account.

Devin hopes to leave behind his vio
Published February 2013 by Red Adept Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Artificial Absolutes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Artificial Absolutes

Julie G
Mar 12, 2013 Julie G rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Having grown up with some of the best of the sci-fi genre, I am a huge fan. As such, I get a little nervous about futuristic worlds and universes. I shouldn't have worried.

Artificial Absolutes is much more than spaceships and robots. While there are plenty of both, this story is not all laser guns and space battles. It is a timeless exploration of the complexity of family dynamics, the conflicts between faith and non-belief, and what truly defines a human being. What is the soul and where does c
Sheri
Nov 08, 2015 Sheri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Artificial Absolutes by Mary Fan

Jane Colt, just out of college works as an Interstellar Confederation office drone. Then her friend Adam is kidnapped, and she does not trust the Authorities to help her find her friend.

Devin, Jane's brother, does believe her and wants to help her find Adam. He is trying to have a good life with his new wife, and leave behind his old violent past. But soon he is frames for murder and he discovers some secrets he wish he never had.

Jane is very likable , she uncover
Dean Lombardo
Apr 08, 2013 Dean Lombardo rated it it was amazing
“Jane Did It Her Way. Artificial Absolutes, a Sci-Fi Tale You Won’t Forget!”

Take one spunky yet irresistible heroine, a dangerous galaxy, killer robots, deceptive androids, and virtual worlds that would make Isaac Asimov, William Gibson and Philip K. Dick nod with approval and you have “Artificial Absolutes,” the debut novel of Mary Fan, a young author on her way up. The heroine here is Jane Colt, the daughter of a wealthy businessman and (VIP) very important politician mother. She’s a rebelliou
Tee loves Kyle Jacobson
First I have to say that I love me some Sci-FY books. I love anything about the future and what it holds for humans in general. Plus I love the world build up that authors give us when telling us about another life that will come and take over the world. Artificial Absolutes had me thinking about a lot of things as I was reading it because it is a story that is about consciousness and computers. Intelligence at it's finest.

Jane is a recent grad from college and she is excited to be starting in
Amber
Jul 23, 2013 Amber rated it really liked it
Artificial Absolutes is like Star Wars meets I, Robot with a splash of The Fugitive, it is one helluva ride.

The story follows siblings, Jane and Devin Colt as they try to discover the truth, not only about the world around them, but their own lies they have been telling themselves. Devin discovers a powerful secret about his girlfriend when he proposes, that sets of a chain of events that neither could predict.

The characters were all wonderfully developed, especially those of Devin and Adam. The
Ivan Amberlake
Apr 20, 2013 Ivan Amberlake rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
ARTIFICIAL ABSOLUTES by Mary Fan was one of my most expected releases of the year, and now that I’ve finished reading it, I want to say it exceeded all of my expectations!

Artificial Absolutes is a terrific sci-fi book featuring Devin and Jane Colt. From the beginning, I was impressed by the depth of the characters’ characterization. The flashbacks that the author provided in the first chapters let me connect with Devin and Jane on a much deeper level than I usually do with characters in other b
Val
Jul 11, 2013 Val rated it liked it
This is a sci-fi novel about a young man named Devin and his sister, Jane. Siblings of the wealthy Colt family, they begin the novel with something strange happening to their significant others: Devin’s girlfriend reacted strangely to his marriage proposal, “freezing” in place. Jane’s boyfriend has disappeared, with various people covering up his absence. As the siblings investigate further, it seems that their significant others have been (or are being) replaced with artificial intelligence. ...more
Nancy
Aug 09, 2013 Nancy rated it it was amazing
Artificial Absolutes is skillfully crafted and artfully written, with convincing characters and plenty of action. I like when science fiction makes sense and this was completely believable. I especially enjoyed the philosophical undertones that were just there without being distracting. It's been quite a while since I've written a review, not because I'm not reading (I read daily) but because I only rate the books I love (I hate writing bad reviews). I am happy to add this to my five star ...more
Guinevere Thomas
Oct 03, 2016 Guinevere Thomas rated it it was amazing
Strong NA feel with a contemporary science fiction background. Copped it audiobook so I need some time to assess.

Review to come...
Dew Pellucid
Mar 03, 2013 Dew Pellucid rated it really liked it
A fast-paced, easy read that envelopes you in an intricate sci-fi adventure; while at its core the story ponders the essence of human consciousness--what does it mean to be human.

THE PLOT:
The first three chapters involved many flashbacks to form expository background. At first, I was thinking: "Don't tell me, show me." And then the author does. The action picks up rapidly and the world Fan creates comes alive. Every nickname has a meaning (so look up the words if you don't know them).

The scenes
Linda Baker
Apr 15, 2013 Linda Baker rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
Jane Colt is a 20-something office drone in a mega corporation, bored and discontented. What she really wants is a musical career but as her father happens to be the powerful head of the corporation, she tries to be what dear old dad wants. It seems that her entire life and that of her brother, Devin, has been about trying to live up to the expectations of controlling parents. Devin seems to be succeeding, having risen in the corporation and becoming engaged to beautiful Sarah DeHaven. Both of ...more
Brianna
Jun 01, 2014 Brianna rated it liked it
3.5 stars.

*I’d like to thank the author for providing me a copy of this book, in exchange for my honest review.*

The more I read, my liking for sci-fi ends up growing. If it just so happens to have great female characters, all the better. This book had both an interesting science-fiction plot, as well as interesting main characters, one of whom just happened to be female.

This book followed the adventures of brother and sister, Devin and Jane. I liked both of them, for various reasons. Jane w
The Haunted Reading Room {Cthulhu Down the Chimney Tonight}
Review of Artificial Absolutes by Mary Fan
4 stars

At the heart of this science-fiction novel is the theme of consciousness. What does consciousness entail? Are only humans conscious? Set in the future on a far-flung solar system, wealthy siblings Jane and Devin Colt must confront these questions, while simultaneously on a race to preserve their lives, and to acquire the right and capability to live those lives as they choose to live. Much of the novel revolves around “Artificial Intelligence.” In
Paige Daniels
Apr 11, 2013 Paige Daniels rated it really liked it
Just finished Artificial Absolutes and I can say it was one heck of a ride. Jane Colt is going through a quarter life crisis working as a corporate zombie at her father's company, but what she really wants to do is be a composer and lead a life of adventure or at least more exciting than sitting in a cubicle all day. She gets her wish when she sees her boyfriend being kidnapped and her brother is framed for a violent crime.

I have to say in the beginning the book was a bit slow, but hang tough, b
Lisa
Mar 19, 2013 Lisa rated it really liked it
I liked this science fiction story that focused on reality and not-so reality. The title really says it all, and kind of made sense after reading.

Absolute-This is the books God-like character, what they pray to in times of need. This represents the morality in the story and the choices that the characters have to make.

Artificial- Well this plays the opposite in the story and deals with the falseness that is portrayed.

I loved the main character of Jane, she was determined at times to prove she d
Carlissa
Nov 19, 2015 Carlissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: sci fi fans
Recommended to Carlissa by: Netgalley
Artificial Absolutes is the first book in the Jane Colt series. Although the story starts out very slow and Jane (the main character) seems very immature for a recent college grad, it quickly picks up speed and turns into a real page turner. Although this is a futuristic space opera, there are no aliens, but there are lots of robots, computer hackers, and artificial intelligence. I'm looking forward to reading the next book in the series!

I received an ebook copy of this book from Netgalley for a
Roman Laskowski
Apr 14, 2013 Roman Laskowski rated it it was amazing
A cracking tale of fights and escapes and conspiracies, set in a wonderfully and intricately evoked future world. The story rattles along at a fine pace, twisting and turning its way to and fro across the galaxy, encountering mercenaries, shoot-on-sight robots, light-speed travel, hackers and a sinister corporation. A fun ride which takes a little time to get going but, once it does, there’s no getting off until the very end.
Larry Eissler
Jan 11, 2015 Larry Eissler rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Artificial Absolutes: A Jane Colt Novel is a science fiction novel written by Mary Fan and published February of 2013. Artificial Absolutes isn't the first novel published by Ms. Fan, if you enjoy this review you can also check out her other books Synthetic Illusions, The Firedragon (Flynn Nightsider), and her newest book Flynn Nightsider and the Edge of Evil (available April 7th 2015).

First before I get to the review, I'd like to thank Ms. Fan for allowing me the opportunity to review her book
J. Hamlet
Mar 23, 2014 J. Hamlet rated it really liked it
Reviewed for the Masquerade Crew.

Artificial Absolutes attempts no small feat by fusing a cyberpunk thriller and a space opera adventure. Mary Fan largely succeeds with this ambitious task, weaving together a compelling thriller with interesting characters that is a good foundation for a series of novels to come.

Artificial Absolutes follows two principal characters, Devin and Jane Colt. They work corporate jobs in the family business, a powerful outfit called Quasar on a sophisticated and deve
Melissa Hayden
Aug 16, 2015 Melissa Hayden rated it really liked it
Cyberpunk slams into science fiction here as these siblings lives spin out of control and they go on the search and run for their lives. Awesome! I really enjoyed where this story went with the science fiction. It's a soft scifi with internet, high tech security in buildings, space ship travel, different worlds and stations, and artificial intelligence. All with action!

I love that this is a brother/sister team.

****FULL REVIEW****
Devin proposes to his love, Sarah. Her reaction of freezing sends
Charity Rowell-Stansbury
I was given a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Devin Colt seems to have it all; he is working his way up in the family business, Quasar Bank Corporation, and met the girl of his dreams, Sarah DeHaven, less than a year ago. However, underneath the veneer of accomplishment and ambition lies a rebellious nature, a criminal past, and connections with seedy citizens.

On the other hand Devin's sister, Jane Colt, is miserable; her dreams to be a famous composer were crushed, and she fo
Joseph Phillips
Dec 29, 2014 Joseph Phillips rated it really liked it
The author sent me a copy of her book onto my kindle for an honest review.
I recieved this book around mid-September and I planned to read it maybe two or three weeks after… that didn’t go to plan and I started it late November time; nether-the-less I started it and I planned to finish it.

Ahh! I really-really-really enjoyed reading this book; there were so many emotions and so many page-turning happenings that made this book so enjoyable and fresh in the deep, dark refuge of the genre we call Sci
N.M.
Mar 06, 2015 N.M. rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this novel in exchange for an honest review.

In a world where advanced technology has made paperwork near extinct, Jane Colt has made an enemy of machines. After watching her friend Adam kidnapped by a strange looking robot, she goes on a hunt to rescue him. Devin, Jane's brother, has made a surprising discovery of his and joins Jane with his own rescue plan for his "missing" fiancée. Together, the Colt siblings discover just how far technology has advanced, and just how flaw
Diana (Offbeat Vagabond)
Original review here: http://offbeatvagabond.blogspot.com/2013/03/red-adept-publishing-presents-indie.html

Artificial Absolutes follows a guy named Devin. He is in love with his rising star of a girlfriend Sarah. He is about to ask her to marry him even though they have been together for only 6 months. He is nervous and freaking out naturally. But he gets a red flag when he actually proposes to her. She doesn't seem like herself and he feels that something is terribly wrong. Devin's sister, Jane
James Butler
Mar 05, 2013 James Butler rated it really liked it
Artificial Absolutes is a roller coaster ride. There are slow paced moments interspersed with action, action and more action, so that the words seem to fly off the page and hit you in the face. The characters are well developed: some of them thrill you, others annoy you, still others make you think ‘why are they there?’ much like real life.

The plot revolves around Artificial Intelligence, that holy grail some tech geeks think will set them free. Many people have postulated what a truly thinking
Reader's Hollow
Jan 23, 2016 Reader's Hollow rated it really liked it
**We received a copy of this book through the Juniper Grove Book Library in exchange for an honest review.**

There were some cool aspects to this unique world setting. There's spacecrafts, neat gadgets and creepy security systems.

We start out with siblings who grow up in a somewhat dysfunctional family. Both of are them are a bit spoiled and act out in immature ways, but at the same time, it can be entertaining at times.

I liked how the author created the "flashbacks" in the story. She'd have a ne
Claire
Feb 14, 2015 Claire rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi, ai, space-travel
Artificial Absolutes follows Jane and Devin Colt, children of mogul, Victor Colt. Jane is working in an office and Devin is hoping to bury his dark past when he finally marries the woman he loves. Their lives are changed dramatically when Devin discovers a secret and Jane witnesses an abduction of her best friend. Disbelieved and with Devin falsely accused of murder, Jane sides with him to chase around the galaxy, looking for her friend and hoping to find the proof of Devin's innocence.

This book
Diane Rapp
May 13, 2014 Diane Rapp rated it it was amazing
What is artificial and what is real?

Devin and Jane have it all, a rich family, a cushy life, and everything their hearts desire. Then why are they bored and unhappy? When Jane witnesses the kidnapping of her best friend, Adam, she gets swept into a tornado of danger, intrigue, and terror. Why does her brother Devin know how to elude assassins and the law? Did he really shoot their father point blank?

This novel is an action-packed science-fiction set in a distant future. The story takes the read
Amy
Oct 21, 2014 Amy rated it really liked it
Jane and Devin Colt are on a galactic quest to not only save themselves, but their future. They travel throughout the galaxy to prove Devin’s innocence and to find Adam, Jane’s best friend. Devin doesn’t have a clean past and that comes back to haunt him, making him prime suspect. Jane and Devin both know he is innocent. The No Name network is hard at work turning all the information on the Colt’s against them in every possible way that they can. But with their friends, they manage to escape ...more
Katie
Jul 10, 2015 Katie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi, book-review
I reviewed this book here: http://katieroseguestpryal.com/2015/0...

Here's the beginning of the review:

Jane and Devin Colt are the adult children of the CEO of Quasar Bank Corp., one of the most powerful companies in the galaxy. If their planet had a prince and princess, it would be them.

Devin, a few years the elder, went through a wild phase that Jane knows little about, a phase that ended when their mother, a former politician, was assassinated. Devin and Jane now work dutifully for Quasar. De
« previous 1 3 next »
Space Opera Fans : A not-so-typical space opera? 7 56 May 04, 2013 01:59AM
Goodreads Authors...: Space opera with elements of cyberpunk 1 9 Apr 11, 2013 01:49PM
Science Fiction A...: A different kind of space opera 3 17 Apr 09, 2013 04:54PM
  • Blood Echo
  • First to Find (Caching Out, #1)
  • Upload
  • Dastardly Bastard
  • Oracle of Philadelphia (Earthbound Angels, #1)
  • To Katie With Love
  • Correlation
  • Lay Death at Her Door
  • The Sun, the Moon, and Maybe the Trains (John & Tess Book 1)
  • Overload Flux (Central Galactic Concordance, #1)
  • Dark Waltz (Praestani, #1)
  • Eden
  • Braineater Jones
  • Uncertainty Principles
  • Acts of Violence
  • Lizzy Speare and the Cursed Tomb
  • Ever Lost (Secret Affinity, #2)
  • Finding the Rainbow (Chilton Crosse, #2)
Mary Fan is a hopeless dreamer, whose mind insists on spinning tales of “what if.” As a music major in college, she told those stories through compositions. Now, she tells them through books—a habit she began as soon as she could pick up a pencil.

Mary lives in New Jersey and has a B.A. from Princeton University. When she’s not scheming to create new worlds, she enjoys kickboxing, opera singing, an
More about Mary Fan...

Jane Colt (3 books)
  • Synthetic Illusions (Jane Colt, #2)
  • Virtual Shadows (Jane Colt, #3)