Start by marking “Never a Hero (Tucker Springs, #5)” as Want to Read:
Never a Hero (Tucker Springs, #5)

Never a Hero (Tucker Springs #5)

3.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,652 Ratings  ·  226 Reviews
Everyone deserves a hero.

Owen Meade is desperately in need of a hero. Raised by a mother who made him ashamed of his stutter, his sexual orientation, and his congenitally amputated arm, Owen lives like a hermit in his Tucker Springs apartment. But then hunky veterinarian Nick Reynolds moves in downstairs.

Nick is sexy and confident, and makes Owen comfortable with himself
Published May 13th 2013 by Riptide Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Never a Hero, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Never a Hero

Touch & Geaux by Abigail RouxNot So Innocent by Dani AlexanderLover at Last by J.R. WardThe Boy with the Painful Tattoo by Josh LanyonWinter Kill by Josh Lanyon
Can't Wait M/M Romance of 2013
12th out of 192 books — 637 voters
Touch & Geaux by Abigail RouxCaptive Prince by C.S. PacatCaptive Prince by C.S. PacatToo Stupid to Live by Anne TeninoTell Me It's Real by T.J. Klune
Best M/M Romance Published in 2013
48th out of 676 books — 1,673 voters

More lists with this book...

Ami
Apparently, when I posted my status around 24% and said how much I loved the story, I spoke too soon *sigh*. I am going to swim against the current here and say, "No, I DON'T like it". I am struggling to think if I can say that the story is okay enough for me to give it my so-so 3-stars...

Sadly, the feelings I had after finishing this were frustration and discontent. I even slept on it, thinking that maybe I overreacted and my feelings would change. But it didn't. When I woke up, I sti
Susan
May 11, 2013 Susan rated it really liked it

And...there you have it: my favorite Marie Sexton book to date!

I loved this. It was so perfectly crafted, paced, and executed. One of those books you're just happy to have read.

2 absolutely delightful MC's in Owen and Nick.
Each with their own demons, both physical and emotional.
Each needing a hero.
Each being a hero.
Some smexy.
Some I-want-to-hurt-somebody-I'm-so-angry angst.
A healthy does of reality...both sad and hopeful.

Though book 5 in the series, it works as a standalone. In fact, it's my
Macky ~ Sinfully Gay Romance Book Reviews
If two things are more or less guaranteed to pull a 5* review out me, then theyre likely to be anything from Marie Sexton and more or less any book from the series Tucker Springs. One a favourite author and the other a series that Ive followed and enjoyed from book one. I was so hoping that I wouldn't be disappointed because the subject matters could be made to feel very somber, sad or gloomy if not handled well. But I had faith and that faith was rewarded with a poignant romance that I really l ...more
Mark
Jul 01, 2013 Mark rated it it was amazing
Again, Marie Sexton reduces me to an emotional wreck by wrenching my heart out and then sending it soaring with joy at the end.

Maybe I'm just a sucker for the stories about the socially inept cases finding their dream, but the insight and empathy that Marie Sexton brings to her writing is second to none.

Owen is a recluse, socially awkward, has an amputated arm from an amniotic band at birth and stutters. I mean, what more could go wrong with the poor guy? oh yes, a mother from hell and the stuff
Ingela
3,5 Stars - moving and beautiful about two partially damaged men, playing piano, ask for what you want, to love yourself and a lost hand

Some novels are great, loud with divine, superhuman, unforgettable characters - this is not such a novel. This is instead a slightly more serious, subtle and rather short book about two in mind and body wounded men who need to get on in life and who don't dare to believe in a real change.

As a new neighbor moves into Owen's house the piano will once more be playe
Cole Riann
May 09, 2013 Cole Riann rated it really liked it
Review posted at The Armchair Reader.

To be honest, I was a bit daunted when I started thinking of writing this review. Not because of the book itself, but because I read this book about two months ago and then didn't write the review promptly (not a surprise, honestly!). But, in a twist I didn't expect, but should have, I find that this book comes back to me in detail that books I read two months previously usually never do. And that just shows how much of this book stuck with me. I rem
Gina
Aug 13, 2013 Gina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, m-m

The last book in the Tucker Springs series (well at least at the moment) and it’s about the quiet veterinarian I knew nothing about, Nick. He ends up moving to the downstairs apt next to Owen. Owen left arm is partially missing from a birth defect called Amniotic Band, and the poor guy stutters as well. And because of both these issues Owen pretty much stays in the house and has no friends. OMG my heart broke in two for this guy.

So Owens new downstairs neighbor immediately starts up a friendshi
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
This was short and cute. I liked Owen and the way he grew as a person after he met Nick, the handsome veterinarian who moves in next door.

Owen is missing his left hand due to a birth defect; he also stutters when he's nervous. As a result, he's become a bit of a recluse. He suspects he likes men, but he's done one too many things to displease his mother, and he just doesn't dare to be gay too.

It turns out Nick's sister, June, has the same birth defect (her right hand is missing), but she's not
Tina
Aug 13, 2013 Tina rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Tina by: Mark

Finally!!! Finally I could read Nick's story, Nick the sexy veterinarian and boss of Paul, one of our MCs of the second book.

Never a Hero is the 5th book in the Tucker Springs series and I enjoyed seeing the other couples we got to know in the previous books. I loved seeing funny Nathan again. In Never a Hero he shows a sensitive, caring side.

Owen has a congenitally amputated arm and stutters. Raised by a mother who always has been ashamed of him his self-confidence is non-existent (what a vil
Trisha Harrington
4.5 stars rounded down.

I liked this book and it had some really good points to it. For fan's of the series it is a must. I just didn't love this book. There were a few things that annoyed me and it stopped me from giving it five stars. But that doesn't mean everyone will dislike the book, it just means that, for me, it was not the greatest book ever.

Owen and Nick started out well and you could easily tell they wanted each other. Owen, a virgin was very shy. He hated his stutter and his missing a
Deeze
I enjoyed reading about Owen and Nick, and I loved the slow build of the relationship.

There were a few funny moments and a few more heart breaking ones.

June was a delight, especially the way she treated her missing limb. Some of her snappy answers to the looks and questions were part of the high lights of this story.

On a down side I thought Owens dad’s explanation was a bit overkill. (view spoiler) Although I was gla
Samington
I admit it: I laughed when Owen confronted his mother. Not because it was satisfying, but because it was ridiculous. Of course she ruined his life! She appeared to be a frontrunner in the Worst Person in the World competition; what else could she possibly do? Really, though, that entire plot line was so absurd I had to work hard to keep from just skimming through all of it.

The sex was hot, especially the first scene they were together. Owen was overall a pretty sympathetic character, and I thoug
Tiya Rosa
May 28, 2013 Tiya Rosa rated it liked it
A raw, raunchy, believable (up to a point) story of very likable people ruined by so many lectures and a subplot/side character thingy that was both unnecessary and over the top.

I'm giving this 3.5 stars, so ruined might be too strong a term. Let's just say that the constant soapbox-ing got to the point where I stopped agreeing with everything the characters were saying and started wondering whether the author should have written an editorial piece to itemize all her stands in several important
Nic
May 13, 2013 Nic rated it really liked it
It was nice to revisit Tucker Springs and disappear into the lives of Owen and Nick.

This is the story of Owen, a young man who is hugely self-conscious of his physical disability and has hidden himself away from the world. He has felt like a disappointment his whole life and being gay is only another reason to disappoint his mother. So he is not going to be gay! That's working pretty well until Nick moves in downstairs.

The plot is slightly predictable - I was able to determine the reason for Nic
Lauren at Live Read and Breathe Reviews
For this review and more Live Read and Breathe

Live Read and Breathe Giveaway

My Review...

I thought this book was a profoundly beautiful story. Right from the start you feel the emotions and insecurities from Owen. It guts me when you see the result of appalling parenting. Poor Owen was born with a disability but with a bitch of a mother it was became so much worse that he eventually became a recluse. Well until he meets his new neighbor Nick.

Nick right away sees Owen for Owen and look
Lenore
I agree with Ami's review on this one.

The idea behind the story was decent but the execution was poor. In fact, it barely scratched the surface.

The outrageous detail that's largely responsible for my rating was the (view spoiler) Even though it was in a dialogue part, even though it could be the character being overdramatic, I still can't believe the
Heather C
Beautiful!!!

My favorite Tucker Springs story so far!!

Both of the characters were so beautiful and I teared up more than once. I think Marie handle the heavy topics very well here.

Plus, I love how she incorporated all the previous couples into the story at some point.
Amy
Nov 18, 2014 Amy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
My first Marie Sexton read! Definitely the first of many. This book totally captured my heart. I *love* reading about people overcoming their issues or disabilities and finding true love. Owen lives like a hermit in his apartment, thanks to his horrible mother who has made him feel self conscious and ashamed of his stutter and his partially amputated arm. He works from home, has his groceries delivered, and rarely ventures into the outside world.

Nick moves in to the apartment downstairs. He’s st
Purplegirl
I may have to give up on this series. This is the third one I've read and they are quite lackluster. This one had some good parts. I liked Owen and Nate. I think they were just boring to me. The story had its ups and downs. But it was basically boring just as the other ones I have read. I did love June, she was the best part of the book. I just want these to be better than they are. I give it a 2.5 but I can't round up because it was closer to OK than good.
Will Parkinson
Feb 09, 2013 Will Parkinson rated it it was amazing
Another in the Tucker Springs tales, this one takes two broken men and brings them together in the sweetest of ways.

This book isn't very angst heavy (not to say there isn't any), but it does give you a character to loathe: The Mother. She's awful. Hateful. Horrid. I wanted to smack her for the way she treated her son.
Phaney
May 18, 2013 Phaney rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m
This kind of story? I could have liked it a lot more. The premise is one I am fond of, at least half of it. In the execution, though, this book lost me. Not entirely, but I still think it’s a waste.

First. What happened to Nick? Granted, he wasn’t a huge character in book two, but he was nothing like this chatty, blushing, rude guy here. Perhaps more importantly, he had three large dogs, so how’s one a cocker spaniel now?
Okay, clearly this needs to be approached as a book without any connection t
Candice
There just are no words I can say to give this justice. I haven't met a book by Marie Sexton I didn't like, but holy hell this might surpass them all.

I was supposed to read a happy go lucky book after the last emotional wringer I just read. I thought this was going to be my amazing HEA with little drama. Boy was I ever wrong.

(view spoiler)
Brie C.
May 22, 2013 Brie C. rated it it was ok
Originally posted at Romance Around the Corner

Source: A review copy was provided by the publisher through NetGalley.

Never a Hero is the fifth book in the Tucker Spring series, which is the M/M Romance version of a small-town Contemporary. I have only read one of the previous books in the series (coincidentally co-written by Sexton); an experience that wasn’t entirely successful. And much like that one other book, this one ended up being a bit of a mixed bag.

The main character is Owen, a reclusiv
Jennifer (FFT Reviews)
Another great male/male romance from Ms. Sexton! Owen and Nick are both damaged, but decent guys who really need someone to love. I loved their interactions and how they just seemed to get each other from the first time they meant. Nick's sister was a great parallel for Owen and a really entertaining side character. Speaking of side characters, I hated Owen's mother with a passion. You don't see too many villains in male/male contemporaries, but this woman was a piece of work. I continue to love ...more
Shirley Frances
Owen has become a recluse due to his stutter and his congenitally amputated arm. He keeps to himself because he doesn't want to deal with the pitying looks, the awkward comments and people's impatience when his stutter makes an appearance. Although attracted to men, he has convinced himself that if he could just fall in love with a woman and have a 'traditional' relationship he would be considered 'normal' by others. However, as soon as his new neighbor knocks at his door he realizes that his at ...more
DaisyGirl
Jun 02, 2013 DaisyGirl rated it really liked it
4.0 Stars

Owen Meade is gay. He's self-conscious of his congenitally amputated arm and stutters when he's nervous. He was raised by the Bitch of All Time; his horrid mother made him ashamed of himself and annihilated his self esteem. For all these reasons, Owen lives like a hermit in his Tucker Springs apartment. But all that changes when hunky veterinarian, Nick Reynolds, moves in downstairs. Nick is sexy and confident. He and Owen become quick friends. Nick also introduces Owen to his firecrack
Debra
May 24, 2013 Debra rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
Another good installment in the Tucker Springs series. It was nice to see Owen's character grow through this book from reclusive and shy, to someone willing to assert himself to get what he wants. Nick, who we briefly met in El and Paul's book, Second Hand, moves in downstairs and becomes the object of Owen's attraction, while sending mixed signals to Owen as to his feelings.

Owen's downright bitch of a mother has made him ashamed of everything he is, but Nick and his family, especially his sist
Leanne

I loved the first half...Owen, the shy, stammering virgin being gently wooed by the charming Nick. I think this could have been a wonderful little story right there. But suddenly, huge bombshells are dropped, a mother of Cruella de Vil proportions enters the scene, a (view spoiler) father wrings his hands in the wings and I'm not sure I like how the MCs dealt with much of the melodrama.

I know, I've read and totally fallen in love with stories with far more outrageou
Sophia
This is the fifth book in the Tucker Springs series and I believe the second one that the author has written. The stories can all be read standalone or even out of order though there is a loose connection to earlier couples flitting through for cameos or a few scenes.

This one tackled two characters with painful and difficult situations. I appreciated that the author had to the courage and emotional writing depth to go there for this story that took it from typical and predictable to something b
  • Covet Thy Neighbor (Tucker Springs, #4)
  • Dirty Laundry (Tucker Springs, #3)
  • City Mouse (Country Mouse, #2)
  • Illumination
  • Sweet Young Thang (Theta Alpha Gamma, #3)
  • Puzzle Me This
  • Wallflower (Rear Entrance Video, #2)
  • Flawless (Irresistible Attraction, #4)
  • Pickup Men (Pickup Men, #1)
  • Once a Brat (Kinky Cupid, #1)
  • Through These Eyes (Blind Faith, #2)
Marie Sexton lives in Colorado. She’s a fan of just about anything that involves muscular young men piling on top of each other. In particular, she loves the Denver Broncos and enjoys going to the games with her husband. Her imaginary friends often tag along. Marie has one daughter, two cats, and one dog, all of whom seem bent on destroying what remains of her sanity. She loves them anyway.

Coda: W
More about Marie Sexton...

Tucker Springs (7 books)
  • Where Nerves End (Tucker Springs Book 1)
  • Second Hand (Tucker Springs, #2)
  • Dirty Laundry (Tucker Springs, #3)
  • Covet Thy Neighbor (Tucker Springs, #4)
  • After the Fall (Tucker Springs, #6)
  • It's Complicated (Tucker Springs, #7)