Start by marking “This Present Darkness and Piercing the Darkness (Darkness #1-2)” as Want to Read:
This Present Darkness and Piercing the Darkness (Darkness #1-2)

This Present Darkness and Piercing the Darkness (Darkness #1-2)

4.49 of 5 stars 4.49  ·  rating details  ·  1,813 ratings  ·  93 reviews
The two #1-selling novels that have captivated millions are now available together in one volume This Present Darkness takes place in the typical small town of Ashton where nothing much ever seems
Published August 7th 2000 by Crossway

To ask other readers questions about This Present Darkness and Piercing the Darkness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Present Darkness and Piercing the Darkness

Faith
Sep 04, 2007 Faith rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone!
Shelves: alreadyread
These are two of my favorite books by Frank Peretti. I finished both of these so quickly because I never wanted to stop reading them. My parents own the "two in one" book and I borrowed it off of them. I read these right after finishing The Oath. As a Christian, they really made me think about what is constantly happening in the supernatural world around us. There is a constant battle of good and evil going on that we are totally unaware of. In these books the author describes what is happening ...more
Marty
Nov 10, 2008 Marty added it
I used to avoid books and movies that had anything to do with demons or angels. My reasoning being(at the time)that angels and demons really do exist and it didn't seem right to misrepresent them in fictional stories. I have since changed my opinion of angelic or demonic fiction largely because of these two books. Both are fictional stories that describe the invisible spiritual battles that go on around us every day that we are oblivious too. Armies of angelic soldiers and demonic warriors doing ...more
Lesa
Whoa. I can honestly say that I've never read a book quite like this one before. This books brings Ephesians 6:12 to life: For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.
It's a fictional story based on the Christian belief of spiritual warfare, and it's told from the perspectives of the various townspeople on the ground, who are trying desper
Jim Golden
I read both books seperately before this volume came out and throughly enjoyed them. As far as fiction goes these books have more realith in them than what we perceive as reality. There has not been a book that reveals what goes on in the spiritual world since C.S. Lewis wrote the Screwtape Letters.
Lorey
Absolutely wonderfully written! The imagery is fantastic, and the story-line is impeccable! You fall in love with the charecters and feel as if you actually know them and become apart of the story. Peretti definatley out did himself, these books are absolutely some of his finest works!
Arcyllin Arcilla
For Christian bookworms looking for a good fiction read, Frank Peretti's writing will exceed expectations. I loved the way that the story is unabashedly Christian but is written in a way that encompasses readers. Personally, my prayer life got a new boost after reading this book!
Hanno Phoenicia
I read these years ago and just recommended them to a troubled Christian I have been debating on line with. They are by far the best Christian novels ever written, nothing even close. All of the faults of the Left Behind series will not be present in these captivating, exciting and scary novels about what's behind the everyday struggles we live with. Both books should be read, but the second one, Piercing the Darkness, is more sophisticated and complex, dealing with the every day world we curren ...more
Michael
My rating
1: don't read
2: mediocre
3: good
4: great
5: everything i wanted it to be.
These two books are amazing! I really enjoyed them, and was perfectly satisfied with their development and plot. The characters are good, and the message is fun, but a little unnerving on a spiritual level. They remain on my top list, and i recommend them.
Diana
Excellent, insightful, rich characters, fiction. While we may not know if this is how angels work in this world, The author does a masterful job as a story teller. I read these more than 15 years ago and I keep them with my treasured books. The story may not be for everyone, but these books are worth the read.
Slo Moemoe
read these books awhile ago!
i absolutely loved them.
i found them to be gripping and literally i would rush through to see what the end result would be.
i highly recommend this book... mysterious intriguing and definitely riveting
Hannah
Book 1: This is a novel about the little town of Ashton and how the Devil(using his demons)tries to take it over. God uses His angels to help protect the people of Ashton, especially the Christians. You'll grow to love Pastor Hank and Mary, Marshall Hogan, Bernice Krueger, and the mighty angelic warriors!

Book 2:This is just as good as the first book(if not better!)! Enter the small town Bacons' Corner and read all that goes on there! Pastor Mark Howard, Marshall Hogan, Ben Cole, Tom Harris, and
Emily Bethke
I read this book in high school and LOVED IT. And then I forgot the name of it and have been trying to remember it for about 5 years now, and I finally happened across it! Brilliant story and I can finally reread it!
Kathrynn
Mar 19, 2008 Kathrynn rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Thriller Enthusiasts
This is a monster size version of two individual books combined into one. It's very big and heavy; like holding Webster's Dictionary. I got it because I loved the series and thought it would be great to have the books combined as I can never remember which one was first.

As for the contents, wonderful book that held my complete attention from the time I opened it until the very end. Even the second time I read this. Great book(s) to re-read and still enjoy because so much happens. Full of action
Theresa Grefer
If you are reading this post right now GO OUT AND GET THIS PRESENT DARKNESS AND READ IT!!!! This book is one of my all time favorites. It is written well. There is always some intriguing bit of suspense or action going on. There is great character development. There is great detail. It causes you to stop and think about your belief and other spiritual worlds. When I read this book I couldn't put it down and then immediately after I finished the first I went to the second. Both are at a similar l ...more
Eileen
Awesome Christian fiction. Should be required reading for all Christians.
Gives a unique insight into the 'unseen'.
A young minister, a burn-ing out reporter, troubled people, angels, demons - it's great stuff .... from the problems being heaped upon people to the glimpse into the 'unseen' world around us. I recommend this book to anyone who wants a meaty and well written plot line. I have read them twice and will do again I know.
Piercing the Darkness - Follows on from the first book with some of
Leslie Dalton
I love love love these books. Period. End of story
Kim Gaskill
Probably one of the best series of books I have ever read.
Loretta Loebs
I'm still haunted by these books.
Angie
My fav books from Mr. Peretti! Second read thru. Finished both books in 3 days. Captivating stories!
Ellen
May 27, 2008 Ellen added it
Ok, I didn't think I would, but I am currently reading this. I was going to give up after I realized that this was a book about demons, (actual demons with names...lust, confusion,etc) fighting angels. Good over evil in the small town of Ashton.

For some strange reason, after I got done with the other book I was reading, this one kind of sucked me back in. I don't quite know what to make of it, but I'm trying to give it a chance.

Stand by, as always, for my riveting review...
Angelia Phillips
I loved this series.

Didn't EVERYONE??

I mean, it's Frank Peretti, who has probably never produced a bad read in his entire life, lol.

This guy is just ... anointed, and called to his work by the highest authority?

At least, that's my take on his work.

I have a review on this series included in a review on another of his books, Illusion.

It's available at:

femmeflashpoint
Sherie Kirkpatrick
This will make you think about more than what is going on in our realm but also about what may be happening in the spiritual realm as well.
Erica Gajewski Harris
Very good book. Nice and uplifting.
Tina Webb
For years I'd wondered about the dynamics between the physical and spiritual realms. Peretti uses current issues to bring the reader into a fast-paced world of intrigue, danger, corruption and spirit wars. The characters are anyone's neighbors. The plot challenges us to stop in the midst of our real world and ask: is there something going on that I need to be aware of? It reads like a movie. Very easy. Once picked up, these are not easily put down.
Classic Peretti. I have only read this Present Darkness but I do intend to read Piercing the Darkness soon... or at least at some point. Hype kind of ruined it for me, so I'm not going to say its REALLY great, and SUSPENSFUL. I've been on the edge of my seat more with other books, but its a good concept. I mean, how many books can you say really make you aware of the spiritual battle raging around you all the time. I would say its a great book.
Joey Sudmeier
I just finished the first one. It's a great visualization of what spiritual battles are/may be going on around us.

The writing is pretty "vanilla Christian" in that it reminded me of extremely sheltered Christian friends of mine. Terms that no one really uses but are obvious substitutions for vulgar terms. Anyway, that took away some believability for me but otherwise very well written and engaging.
Shelley
Frank Peretti is a storyteller beyond all storytellers. I have read both of these books twice - each individually and then again when this combined version was released. Peretti has an amazing ability to make the reader connect what is happening in the earthly story to what is happening in the spiritual realm. Gave me a whole new perspective on prayer and especially the power of prayer.
Hollybowen
I love these books! My mom bought them for me in high school and I will continue to read them over and over. If you believe in the spiritual realm like I do, you will find yourself cheering on the angels and on the edge of your seat!!!! These books delve deeply into the fact that the spiritual realm is as close to us as our own breath....a must read for christians everywhere!
Francis Gahren
These two blockbuster spiritual thrillers that changed Christian fiction forever have individually sold over 3.5 million copies--and now both are finally available together in one complete hardcover volume. Frank E. Peretti has been called "America's hottest Christian novelist" and is the author of several bestselling action-packed works.
  • The Circle Trilogy: The Complete Trilogy in One Epic Edition (The Circle, #1-3)
  • Dominion (Ollie Chandler #2)
  • Eli
  • The Veritas Conflict
  • The Last Jihad (The Last Jihad, #1)
  • Jesus Freaks: Stories of Revolutionaries Who Changed Their World: Fearing God, Not Man
  • The Ishbane Conspiracy
FROM HIS WEBSITE:
With more than 12 million novels in print, Frank Peretti is nothing short of a publishing phenomenon and has been called “America’s hottest Christian novelist.”

Peretti is a natural storyteller who, as a youngster in Seattle, regularly gathered the neighborhood children for animated storytelling sessions. After graduating from high school, he began playing banjo with a local blueg
More about Frank E. Peretti...
This Present Darkness (Darkness, #1) Piercing the Darkness (Darkness, #2) The Oath House Monster