Start by marking “This Present Darkness and Piercing the Darkness (Darkness #1-2)” as Want to Read:
This Present Darkness and Piercing the Darkness (Darkness #1-2)

This Present Darkness and Piercing the Darkness (Darkness #1-2)

4.50  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,274 Ratings  ·  107 Reviews
The two #1-selling novels that have captivated millions are now available together in one volume This Present Darkness takes place in the typical small town of Ashton where nothing much ever seems
Published August 7th 2000 by Crossway

To ask other readers questions about This Present Darkness and Piercing the Darkness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Present Darkness and Piercing the Darkness

Faith
Sep 04, 2007 Faith rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone!
Shelves: alreadyread
These are two of my favorite books by Frank Peretti. I finished both of these so quickly because I never wanted to stop reading them. My parents own the "two in one" book and I borrowed it off of them. I read these right after finishing The Oath. As a Christian, they really made me think about what is constantly happening in the supernatural world around us. There is a constant battle of good and evil going on that we are totally unaware of. In these books the author describes what is happening ...more
Marty
Nov 10, 2008 Marty added it
I used to avoid books and movies that had anything to do with demons or angels. My reasoning being(at the time)that angels and demons really do exist and it didn't seem right to misrepresent them in fictional stories. I have since changed my opinion of angelic or demonic fiction largely because of these two books. Both are fictional stories that describe the invisible spiritual battles that go on around us every day that we are oblivious too. Armies of angelic soldiers and demonic warriors doing ...more
Lesa
Mar 18, 2013 Lesa rated it really liked it
Whoa. I can honestly say that I've never read a book quite like this one before. This books brings Ephesians 6:12 to life: For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.
It's a fictional story based on the Christian belief of spiritual warfare, and it's told from the perspectives of the various townspeople on the ground, who are trying desper
Jim Golden
Aug 24, 2012 Jim Golden rated it really liked it
I read both books seperately before this volume came out and throughly enjoyed them. As far as fiction goes these books have more realith in them than what we perceive as reality. There has not been a book that reveals what goes on in the spiritual world since C.S. Lewis wrote the Screwtape Letters.
Lorey
Sep 30, 2012 Lorey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Absolutely wonderfully written! The imagery is fantastic, and the story-line is impeccable! You fall in love with the charecters and feel as if you actually know them and become apart of the story. Peretti definatley out did himself, these books are absolutely some of his finest works!
Arcyllin Arcilla
Oct 23, 2008 Arcyllin Arcilla rated it it was amazing
For Christian bookworms looking for a good fiction read, Frank Peretti's writing will exceed expectations. I loved the way that the story is unabashedly Christian but is written in a way that encompasses readers. Personally, my prayer life got a new boost after reading this book!
Jessie Newcomb
Jan 28, 2016 Jessie Newcomb rated it really liked it
This is a very interesting book. Although I have not yet finished, my review is only positive. There is interesting characters, a captivating story line, and it is very well written. The main idea is a good vs. evil type story in which (hopefully! I'm not done yet....) good triumphs. There is three main characters and it centers around their lives, and what happens to them. The story is fun, and interesting. But it also keeps you guessing. I still don't know all of what is happening... I'm still ...more
Memz Turaga
Aug 10, 2015 Memz Turaga rated it it was amazing
Shelves: i-own-a-copy
I bought Piercing the Darkeness and This Present Darkness from a second hand shop. I fell in love with these two books and read them one after the other. While reading, my over reactive mind begin to picture what the spirit world is like and how they operate. The angels depend on faith and the prayers of the saints to carry out their mission while the demon also awaits to be summoned by their follower....i love this book and would love to read the rest of the books written by Frank Paretti....
Nicole Pramik
Feb 19, 2015 Nicole Pramik rated it did not like it
I want to start by saying that I don't have an aversion to Christian fiction (even though I don't peruse much, if any, of it anymore). It has its place and serves its own purpose but much of it simply turns into a sermon neatly disguised as fiction. (And by way of clarification, I'm a Christian myself.)

I will say that the idea behind both of the stories here is good and it was interesting to see how Peretti personified and personalized spiritual warfare. I was actually a bit surprised to know th
Michael
Jul 20, 2014 Michael rated it it was amazing
My rating
1: don't read
2: mediocre
3: good
4: great
5: everything i wanted it to be.
These two books are amazing! I really enjoyed them, and was perfectly satisfied with their development and plot. The characters are good, and the message is fun, but a little unnerving on a spiritual level. They remain on my top list, and i recommend them.
Diana
Feb 23, 2014 Diana rated it it was amazing
Excellent, insightful, rich characters, fiction. While we may not know if this is how angels work in this world, The author does a masterful job as a story teller. I read these more than 15 years ago and I keep them with my treasured books. The story may not be for everyone, but these books are worth the read.
Slo Moemoe
Aug 12, 2014 Slo Moemoe rated it it was amazing
read these books awhile ago!
i absolutely loved them.
i found them to be gripping and literally i would rush through to see what the end result would be.
i highly recommend this book... mysterious intriguing and definitely riveting
Hannah
Dec 08, 2008 Hannah rated it it was amazing
Book 1: This is a novel about the little town of Ashton and how the Devil(using his demons)tries to take it over. God uses His angels to help protect the people of Ashton, especially the Christians. You'll grow to love Pastor Hank and Mary, Marshall Hogan, Bernice Krueger, and the mighty angelic warriors!

Book 2:This is just as good as the first book(if not better!)! Enter the small town Bacons' Corner and read all that goes on there! Pastor Mark Howard, Marshall Hogan, Ben Cole, Tom Harris, and
Emily Bethke
Jul 27, 2014 Emily Bethke rated it it was amazing
I read this book in high school and LOVED IT. And then I forgot the name of it and have been trying to remember it for about 5 years now, and I finally happened across it! Brilliant story and I can finally reread it!
Kathrynn
Mar 19, 2008 Kathrynn rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Thriller Enthusiasts
This is a monster size version of two individual books combined into one. It's very big and heavy; like holding Webster's Dictionary. I got it because I loved the series and thought it would be great to have the books combined as I can never remember which one was first.

As for the contents, wonderful book that held my complete attention from the time I opened it until the very end. Even the second time I read this. Great book(s) to re-read and still enjoy because so much happens. Full of action
Katie
Jun 15, 2016 Katie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 1must-purchase, faith
Wow this is REALLY powerful. This helps you realize the power of prayer and might give you nightmares or a difference perspective on other people's lives.
Linda Powell
These two books are not only amazing but really make you think about what is going on around you in the Spiritual World.

Wow!
Kerri Lanier
Jan 20, 2015 Kerri Lanier rated it it was amazing
LOVED this book!! Such a great depiction of what the spiritual realm might be like...I could hardly set the book down!! :-)
Theresa Grefer
Jul 23, 2013 Theresa Grefer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
If you are reading this post right now GO OUT AND GET THIS PRESENT DARKNESS AND READ IT!!!! This book is one of my all time favorites. It is written well. There is always some intriguing bit of suspense or action going on. There is great character development. There is great detail. It causes you to stop and think about your belief and other spiritual worlds. When I read this book I couldn't put it down and then immediately after I finished the first I went to the second. Both are at a similar l ...more
Eileen
Jun 24, 2013 Eileen rated it it was amazing
Awesome Christian fiction. Should be required reading for all Christians.
Gives a unique insight into the 'unseen'.
A young minister, a burn-ing out reporter, troubled people, angels, demons - it's great stuff .... from the problems being heaped upon people to the glimpse into the 'unseen' world around us. I recommend this book to anyone who wants a meaty and well written plot line. I have read them twice and will do again I know.
Piercing the Darkness - Follows on from the first book with some of
Glenna Knights
Aug 19, 2015 Glenna Knights rated it it was amazing
Christian-themed. One of twelve about the end times. Probably prophetic.
Nikk Baartman
Jul 13, 2016 Nikk Baartman rated it it was amazing
Both are excellent, captivating, and thought provoking!!
Leslie Dalton
Dec 07, 2014 Leslie Dalton rated it it was amazing
I love love love these books. Period. End of story
Kim Gaskill
Feb 10, 2014 Kim Gaskill rated it it was amazing
Probably one of the best series of books I have ever read.
Loretta Loebs
Feb 13, 2014 Loretta Loebs rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spiritual
I'm still haunted by these books.
Donald
Mar 06, 2014 Donald rated it it was amazing
Great
Angie
Aug 13, 2014 Angie rated it it was amazing
My fav books from Mr. Peretti! Second read thru. Finished both books in 3 days. Captivating stories!
Ellen
May 27, 2008 Ellen added it
Ok, I didn't think I would, but I am currently reading this. I was going to give up after I realized that this was a book about demons, (actual demons with names...lust, confusion,etc) fighting angels. Good over evil in the small town of Ashton.

For some strange reason, after I got done with the other book I was reading, this one kind of sucked me back in. I don't quite know what to make of it, but I'm trying to give it a chance.

Stand by, as always, for my riveting review...
Angelia (femmeflashpoint)
Jan 07, 2013 Angelia (femmeflashpoint) rated it it was amazing
I loved this series.

Didn't EVERYONE??

I mean, it's Frank Peretti, who has probably never produced a bad read in his entire life, lol.

This guy is just ... anointed, and called to his work by the highest authority?

At least, that's my take on his work.

I have a review on this series included in a review on another of his books, Illusion.

It's available at:

femmeflashpoint
  • The Circle Trilogy: The Complete Trilogy in One Epic Edition (The Circle, #1-3)
  • Dominion (Ollie Chandler #2)
  • Eli
  • Rod Serling's Twilight Zone
  • Gideon's Torch
  • The Third Millenium
  • The Watchers
  • The List
  • The Last Jihad (The Last Jihad, #1)
  • Alien Encounters: The Secret Behind The UFO Phenomenon
FROM HIS WEBSITE:
With more than 12 million novels in print, Frank Peretti is nothing short of a publishing phenomenon and has been called “America’s hottest Christian novelist.”

Peretti is a natural storyteller who, as a youngster in Seattle, regularly gathered the neighborhood children for animated storytelling sessions. After graduating from high school, he began playing banjo with a local blueg
More about Frank E. Peretti...

Darkness (2 books)
  • This Present Darkness (Darkness, #1)
  • Piercing the Darkness (Darkness, #2)