The On-Time, On-Target Manager: How a "Last-Minute Manager" Conquered Procrastination

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  149 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Ken Blanchard's phenomenal bestsellers, such as The One Minute Manager and Raving Fans, have made him a globally recognized business legend. Millions look to Blanchard for innovative approaches to management, leadership, customer service, and much more. Now, he has joined with noted business author Steve Gottry to explore one of the most common and insidious problems plagu...more
Published January 6th 2004 by William Morrow (first published 2004)

Gordon Alley
A help for those who procrastinate. You have got to want it!
Reid
May 21, 2011 Reid rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: managers, leaders, procrastinators
This book is about how to overcome procrastination (for self, managers) to be "on time, on target".

The strategy is called "The 3 P Strategy: Priority, Propriety, Commitment".

Use this strategy if there are performance issues, not effective if there are character issues.

"My job as CEO is to help good people get in touch with what is really important, not only at work but in life, so they can help themselves and others win --- an achieve the necessary results.

PRIORITY: "What is most important?" TRI...more
Fizah
Well..
Awalnya memang kurang tertarik dengan buku non fiksi, karena saya suka seklai berkhayal. Kenapa bisa baca buku ini??

Karena kantor mewajibakan semua karyawan untuk membaca buku ini dan mempresentasikannya kepada semua staf. Bagus, untuk pengembangan pribadi setiap orang.
Dimana yang tadinya Bob si manager detik terakhir menjadi Bob si manager tepat waktu.
Aaron Raphael
I really expected much more from this book. It was a tad too simple and did not offer enough depth or something really unique or refreshing for me at least; probably unless you are really like the "last-minute" manager. Nonetheless, it was a quick 2-hr read through and compared with all the other Ken Blanchard books I've read, this one ranks at the bottom thus far.
Carla
I read this book in one afternoon, it's a business-novel, very easy to read and not many pages (for people who don't have much time). Bob the Manager is a Last-minute manager who's put on probation. He meets with the CEO (Chief Effectiveness Officer) and learns about the 3Ps, that aren't really 3Ps (which is really stupid I think). It's all about procrastination, not making the right choices about what to do first (priority). The result is that Bob not only becomes a better manager, but better p...more
Janet
Bob, the incredibly obtuse manager is put on probation and assigned to meet with the "Chief Effectiveness Officer" daily. He discovers the three "P"s of becoming an on-time, on-target manager so that he can do some actual work at his company rather than sit around reading trade magazines all day and then turning in all his assignments late. No one employs people like this anymore, do they? This book is insultingly simple and a waste of time and/ or money. I was pleased to have borrowed the audio...more
Jahan
Oversimplistic, but not without a few useful pieces of information to help slackers like me keep their stuff all in one sock.
Nilo De
Conceptually thin.

The book can ( and will be, by the author ) summarized in three lines.
The 3P's of the On Time - On Target Person:
* Priority,
* Propriety and
* Commitment.
And yes, the last 'P' is actually a 'C'.
In this context propriety stands for
* Do the right thing.
• Do it for the right reasons.
• Do it with the right people.
• Do it at the right time.
• Do it in the right order.
• Do it with intensity.
• Do it for the right results.
Derek
Ken Blanchard's books seem to always be worth my time. This rating is more in reference to other books he's written, otherwise it would receive a 4 star. This book didn't have quite the impact as, say, his "Self Leadership and the One Minute Manager". The story seems like it rushes through the "story" part, whereas in some cases, I like to feel really immersed in the story which helps me better remember its principles.
David
Excellent book for people with procrastination issues. This offers simple but thoughtful solutions to this common problem within a creative narrative device for a self-help book: a third-person story. The only very minor complaint is that some cheesy dialog detracts at time. Aside from that, a book I would highly recommend if you tend to put things off for too long.
Nicole
This was pretty hokey. There are much better management books out there - this one was just way too simplistic for me. Although it had some good things to say, it was just framed in this parable-type story about "Bob the Manager" that was pretty lame.

Like I said, some interesting thoughts on management, but I just couldn't enjoy the framework.
رقيَّة
j'aime le manager minute plus que ce livre;j'ai cru que c'est un livre de management mais c’est de développement personnel...Il traite le problème de la procrastination _mon Big Problem_ mais ses idées sont très banals.

"Mais tu dois vouloir...parce que personne d'autre ne peut vouloir pour toi"
Amy
Blanchard's parable style can be trite at times, but his message is still meaty and powerful. This time he tackles Procrastination, mostly by reforming your unproductive habits and replacing them with productive, healthy ones. Excellent.
Richard Stephenson
I liked it!

Once you've read a Blanchard book, you pretty much know exactly what is going to happen. But dog-gone-it... I still enjoy them and keep picking them up. Fun, quick, and useful.
Gülsen Geçim
Forced to read this. Hate books which do not have any literary component in it. It has some good ideas inside but it could have been summarized in a 2-page essay for sure.
Katy
I didn't care for this book as much as I really liked his other works. Just a little too simplistic for me, not enough in depth explanation of causes of procrastination.
Nicole L.
Great book that reminds us that procrastination is the "thief of time" and that there a way to become more effective at managing the responsibilities that we have. Great read.
Jenny

Quick read. Enjoyed for the principles, not the writing. Looking at how to apply these concepts in the roles of mother, wife and 'house manager' - hopeful it will help.
Suzanne Hazelton
Easy to read, great story about "Bob the Last Minute Manager" and what he has to do to become more effective both at work and in his home life.
Diep Anh Le
It taught me to manage my time well when working with others not just in my own. Love the its 3P ;)
Joe O'c
Good; plan for keeping away from procrastination in all aspects of life.
John
Simple and easy read. Common sense which we tend to know but fail to apply.
Ryan
Good review of management points and gives a fresh perspective.
Mohdalshawan alshawan
THE BOOK THAT MAKES MANAGERS UNIQUE
Tania
super quick read
One-Click
One-Click marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
KR
KR added it
Jul 07, 2014
Ahmed
Ahmed marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Blanchard was born in Orange, New Jersey and grew up in New Rochelle, New York.He attended New Rochelle High School, graduating in 1957. He completed a BS degree in government and philosophy at Cornell University in 1961, a MA degree in sociology and counseling at Colgate University in 1963 and a PhD degree in education administration and leadership at Cornell University in 1967. As an undergradua...more
More about Kenneth H. Blanchard...
The One Minute Manager Raving Fans: A Revolutionary Approach To Customer Service Gung Ho! Whale Done!: The Power of Positive Relationships Leadership and the One Minute Manager: Increasing Effectiveness Through Situational Leadership