Of Metal and Wishes (Of Metal and Wishes, #1)

Of Metal and Wishes (Of Metal and Wishes #1)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  559 ratings  ·  168 reviews
There are whispers of a ghost in the slaughterhouse where sixteen-year-old Wen assists her father in his medical clinic—a ghost who grants wishes to those who need them most. When one of the Noor, men hired as cheap factory labor, humiliates Wen, she makes an impulsive wish of her own, and the Ghost grants it. Brutally.

Guilt-ridden, Wen befriends the Noor, including their...more
Hardcover, First Edition, 320 pages
Published August 5th 2014 by Margaret K. McElderry Books

City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra ClareThe One by Kiera CassCress by Marissa MeyerIgnite Me by Tahereh MafiDreams of Gods & Monsters by Laini Taylor
YA Novels of 2014
235th out of 1,330 books — 6,577 voters
Isla and the Happily Ever After by Stephanie PerkinsOf Metal and Wishes by Sarah FineThe Islands at the End of the World by Austin AslanGates of Thread and Stone by Lori M. LeeBetween the Spark and the Burn by April Genevieve Tucholke
New YA August 2014
2nd out of 86 books — 57 voters

More lists with this book...

Wendy Darling
4.5 stars This gorgeous, poignant retelling of The Phantom of the Opera has shudder-inducing moments, wistful romance, and protagonists who care deeply about things other than themselves. AND diverse characters and class division and the most beautiful cover I've seen yet this year.

Recommended for fans of Cruel Beauty, The Winner's Curse, and other such dreamy but serious stories featuring forbidden love and atypical YA heroines.

Review to come.
Lola
How...

description

That cliffhanger is just the worst...yet those are actuallty my favorites for they in reality make me long for a sequel. I just hope the continuation for this book will be released soon.

The premise of the story is not that high but the story does deliver. We have this mysterious ghost who keeps surprising us and, guess what? He grants wishes! Whatever your desire, he will make it come true. Except that sometimes we wish too quickly, without giving something second thoughts...

Wen is the ki...more
Sam

Sarah Fine has a way with words. Her books have always been gripping – the Guards of the Shadowlands series is undeniably addictive - and Of Metal and Wishes is no different. If anything, it’s burrowed its way under my skin even further, being the most atmospheric and quietly beautiful story of Fine’s so far. There’s an air of magic to the writing here; the prose builds softly but confidently, lingering in all the right places with subtle emotion and vivid imagery.

The setting for this s...more
Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
An ARC of this novel was received from publisher/author in exchange for an honest review.

This review can also be found at The Starry-Eyed Revue.

Full review follows Review in a GIFfy below.
_________________________

Review in a GIFfy -- This can also be found at The Starry-Eyed Revue.

I wasn't expecting to get the approval for Of Metal and Wishes, so when I received a copy for review from Simon & Schuster, there was a little flailing involved:

In the first five percent of the book, when I realiz...more
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
There is a ghost in the slaughterhouse. I kid you not. After our time in Suicide City with Lela Santos, this is where Sarah Fine chose to send us. A slaughterhouse. With a ghost inside. Can someone please give me a hug?

Of Metal and Wishes promised to be a terrifying and strangely beautiful story and it certainly delivered. It is practically unputdownable; once the atmosphere envelops you, the only way out is through the last page, and you have no choice but to go there. Fine’s writing i...more
Rashika (is tired)
***This review has also been posted on The Social Potato

When I first found out that Sarah Fine had a new book coming out, I was over the moon. My expectations soaredas I read the blurb, and I knew I needed this book in my life. It was only a couple weeks before reading this that I found out that this book was actually a retelling of The Phantom of the Opera. I don’t remember much from the movie (and I’ve never read the book) but I remembered the haunting atmosphere and the chills and how absolut...more
Krys

Of Metal and Wishes is an upcoming Gothic Young Adult novel by Sarah Fine. The book is a retelling of The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux set it in a slaughterhouse. This novel is a stand alone.

Wen works alongside her father, Guiren, in the Gochan One, a slaughterhouse that supplies much of the surrounding area’s meat products. Wen assists Guiren, a doctor, as his nurse. While doing this all of her needs are met by the factory, though Gochan One extracts a heavy debt from its occupants. We...more
Keertana
Rating: 3.5 Stars

First and foremost, you should know that I've never read or seen "The Phantom of the Opera." Secondly, you should know that I read Of Metal and Wishes not even knowing it was a re-telling of the above classic. So. If you're looking for a comprehensive review comparing these two novels, you've come to the wrong place.

Nevertheless, despite my lack of insight into the re-telling aspect of Of Metal and Wishes, I enjoyed it immensely. Wen assists her father in a medical clinic locat...more
Alexa
My review can also be found on my blog Collections.

As soon as I finished reading chapter one, I just knew I was going to love this book. The eerie setting gave me a feeling similar to what I get when I look at photos of old buildings and factories. Wonder and awe. I felt this way not only with the setting but the entire story. It wasn't at all a surprise though because Of Metal and Wishes is the fourth novel I've read by Sarah Fine and her stories are some of my absolute favorites.

Of Metal and W...more
Lindsay Cummings
AMAZING BOOK...a horrific, gorgeous, haunting, perfectly told rendition of Phantom of the Opera.

I finished it in just a few days! I had no idea what to expect when I started this one...especially because the characters lived in a completely different culture than what I'm used to in the United States. Sometimes, as a reader, that can be uncomfortable...but the characters and the story sucked me right in, and I didn't want to come back out once I started.
What a fantastic writing style---beautifu...more
Nick

I read Of Metal and Wishes together with Sam over at Realm of Fiction one weekend and I was entirely smitten throughout. I tried to read the book as excruciatingly slow as possible, but it had such a hold over me that I absolutely couldn't not read it faster. While I was out doing my daily chores, my thoughts would easily wander to Of Metal and Wishes and even now, two weeks after I finished the book, I'm still reeling from the aftermath of reading a brilliant book.

Sarah Fine knows how to craft...more
Julianna Helms
ASIAN ON THE COVER. AMAZIIIIIING BLURB. GIMMEGIMMEGIMMEGIMMEGIMME!!!!!!
Zoe

Sarah Fine's Of Metal and Wishes has so many great things going for it. It is a vivid and sinister novel retold from none other than The Phantom of the Opera, and it shines in both execution and concept.

16-year-old Wen assists her father with his work as a doctor in a slaughterhouse. When someone tries to embarrass Wen, she goes to the rumored "ghost" living in the slaughterhouse and, skeptically, makes a wish; not expecting it to be granted.
Jima finishes writing and looks up at me, her delic
Heidi
Five stars: A brilliant retelling of The Phantom of the Opera.

Wen tucks her head down and scurries to the depot. The Noor are arriving today, the latest recruits to work the killing floors of the slaughterhouse where Wen now lives with her father who is the physician. Wen is curious about the Noor as she has been told her whole life that they are dangerous barbarians. Yet when they disembark, they don't seem barbaric. A tall, skinny young man with rust colored hair catches Wen's eye. Wen has nev...more
Nicole
As seen on The Quiet Concert

Phantom of the Opera is one of my favorite stories and to have one of my favorite authors retell it in such a magnificent and unique way is like a bookish dream come true. I am not sure I can find the right words to describe how dazzling this book was.

As the synopsis says, Of Metal and Wishes takes place in a slaughterhouse. A slaughterhouse that is haunted by the ghost of a boy long believed dead. A ghost that sometimes grants wishes, and happens to favor Wen. This i...more
Alyssa

Rating: 4 stars
Source: eARC from Edelweiss

Summary (from Goodreads):

Lauren  (YABookers)
I received a free copy from the publishers via Edelweiss.

Actual rating:4.5

Of Metal and Wishes is such a compelling gothic horror. I don't know what I was expecting but it was not this heartbreaking, chilling and suspenseful novel. I've heard it's a Phantom of the Opera retelling, but seeing as I've never read the book, nor seen the movie, or it in the theatre etc. etc. it didn't influence my reading at all, but perhaps fans of Phantom will certainly find some satisfaction in reading this dark no...more
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
I have been a huge fan of Ms. Fine's beautiful and sometimes dark and emotional writing since picking up her very first book. She is one of those authors that completely gets you immersed in the world she has created and before you know it you are completely lost to it.

Her beautiful and poignant writing is something to be revered and cherished. Something that can't be rushed or hurried as you dive into the breathtaking prose and soak it all in.

The almost steampunk Phantom of the Opera feel to t...more
Jaime Loren
This novel was amazing from beginning to end--the type of novel that draws you in and doesn't let go, even long after you've finished it. In fact, I read it in one sitting because I couldn't put it down! It is, by far, one of the most hauntingly beautiful stories I've ever read. Sarah Fine has definitely mastered the perfect combination of chemistry and suspense, with writing that will make you sigh aloud because it is seriously. That. Good. (No, really. I actually did that)

I just can't wait for...more
Isamlq
3.5

At first Of Metal and Wishes had me thinking Beauty and the Beast; only wait a beat and it’s Phantom of the Opera. I enjoyed this despite the female lead not being the most sympathetic at first. She was too ‘woe is me’. 16 year-old Wen is struggling with the changes that have come and the roles she’s been assigned from her mother’s daughter to doctor’s assistant, none of it’s what she had planned for herself.

As she adjusts, more change comes with the Noor, perceived less and treated thus, t...more
Tonyalee
Of Metal and Wishes was one of my most anticipated books of 2014.I mean,it's by Sarah Fine = enough said. I know that any book with her name on it will be amazingand I will finish itwith a content smile on my face and in awe, just like before. Not to mention, a little flustered because I finished.

Yep. That happened.

Of Metal and Wishes can't be placed in one single boat. It's a mystery, fantasy with steam punk elements, romance and it has a historical feel to it. Oh, and it's a retelling...more
All Things Urban Fantasy
OF METAL AND WISHES hits that perfect blend of interesting world building, real characters, and romantic danger. Reminiscent of The Phantom of the Opera and THE HUNGER GAMES, these familiar components click together to create an altogether different dynamic. I couldn’t get this story out of my head until the very last page, and now I daydream about what comes next.

Mixing realism with fantasy, OF METAL AND WISHES contains culture clashes that could be found in our own history with an utterly orig...more
Jo
So, so good! It was the perfect blend of plot, characterization and beautiful writing. Oh, and did I mention that it was based loosely on The Phantom of the Opera? Anything to do with Phantom is a must read in my book, and I am so glad that this one lived up to my expectations. I cannot wait to read the sequel to this one! I want to see more of this world. Sarah Fine did a great job of creating a world within a world with the Slaughterhouse. I want Wen to explore more of her world thoug...more
Rayne
Almost 10 months after I read it, I'm reconsidering my rating and review. Time has smoothed out the rough edges that bothered me while I read it so long ago and I'm trying to give the book the credit I denied it a while back. I'll be back soon with my reconsideration.
--------------------------------------

Read-along with the wonderful Tsunami!

Of Metal and Wishes is a really strong novel as its core, but it had a tendency to rely on the threat of rape to keep the tension going and the protagonist...more
Nikki (There were books involved...)
This review can also be found at my blog, There were books involved...

-----------------------------

I've been reading a lot of retellings lately, and to be honest, the last few have been less than stellar. So I was kind of wary upon starting this book. Of Metal and Wishes is a retelling of The Phantom of the Opera - which I've never read, but I adore the musical. A YA retelling of this story sounded awesome - like it could be dark and gritty and romantic and fraught with feels. And Of Metal and...more
Emily
Aug 17, 2014 Emily added it
Shelves: pla14
Of Metal and Wishes tells a story gilded with cold, dull metal, a tale sharply edged with danger. Set in a fictionalized factory full of sadistic supervisors and deadly accidents, this book holds an eerie atmosphere reminiscent of The Phantom of the Opera, the novel on which it was based. Sarah Fine sent chills down my spine with this hauntingly beautiful and scary story, and it is all thanks to the richly developed and atmospheric setting.

Fine crafts a vivid, original backdrop for her tale, a s...more
Michelle Arrow
*4.5 star rating*

*Thank you to Simon and Schuster for providing me with an ARC of this book, in exchange for a honest review.*

What can I say? This book was amazing. Colour me surprised!

This idea and summary just captivated me from the start, but I actually didn't expect this to be so good. It's now definitely one of my favourites of 2014, and I'm so glad to have an ARC and to have read it before anyone else. (Not to be cruel or anything.)

One thing before we get into the review. Is the...more
Howdy YAL
Aug 16, 2014 Howdy YAL rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who want deep YA books
To see full review click here.

I was introduced to The Phantom of the Opera way back when I was in the second grade when I had a slightly obsessed Music Appreciation teacher who showed us all those old Sarah Brighton music videos that were made back in the day since Gerard Butler hadn’t made the movie version yet.

Given the fact that my music teacher had a very skewed version of the original source material…it took me years to realize that she was a Phantom fangirl and trying to impose on young im...more
Reading Teen
*Since I didn't love this, I'm giving it away on the blog. *

This re-imagining of The Phantom of the Opera, was an intriguing idea, and is sure to be a hit with many fans of retellings, but it didn't hold my interest as much as I would've liked.

Re-tellings:

I'm beginning to think that I like the idea of retellings more than I actually like retellings. I really can't point to a reason why, other than they just seem to bore me. They actually all feel the same to me, even though they're completely di...more
Cyp
Jul 30, 2013 Cyp marked it as to-read
I've never really liked ghost novels...but SARAH FINE AND PHANTOM OF THE OPERA IN A SLAUGHTERHOUSE!?!? Plus romance???

*swoon*

P.S. I've always loved how Fine gives her characters really unique names, as opposed to many novels that have Laura's and Peter's.
Addicted to YA: INT Giveaway: Of Metal and Wishes by Sarah Fine 1 21 Jul 29, 2014 03:15AM
  • Servants of the Storm
  • Dissonance (Dissonance, #1)
  • Beware the Wild
  • The Cure for Dreaming
  • The Girl from the Well
  • Fiendish
  • Gates of Thread and Stone (Gates of Thread and Stone #1)
  • Tell the Wind and Fire
  • Salt & Storm
  • The Fire Wish (The Jinni Wars, #1)
  • Dove Arising (Dove Chronicles, #1)
  • Exquisite Captive (Dark Caravan Cycle #1)
  • Stray
  • Suspicion
  • Mortal Danger (Immortal Game, #1)
  • MARY: The Summoning (Bloody Mary, #1)
  • The Walled City
  • Untitled (The Goldscryer Saga, #1)
When I'm not writing, I'm psychologizing (really, I even get a paycheck for it). Sometimes I do both at the same time. The results are unpredictable.

For extra information about the Guards of the Shadowlands series, including Malachi's personal journal entries, or to ask a question: http://guardsoftheshadowlands.tumblr....

For information about the inspirations for Of Metal and Wishes: http://www.p...more
More about Sarah Fine...
Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1) Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2) Captive: A Guard's Tale from Malachi's Perspective (Guards of the Shadowlands #1.1) Scan (Scan, #1) Chaos (Guards of the Shadowlands, #3)

“Instead of embroidering silk, I embroider skin.” 3 likes