Start by marking “Of Metal and Wishes (Of Metal and Wishes, #1)” as Want to Read:
Of Metal and Wishes (Of Metal and Wishes, #1)

Of Metal and Wishes (Of Metal and Wishes #1)

3.82  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,076 Ratings  ·  457 Reviews
There are whispers of a ghost in the slaughterhouse where sixteen-year-old Wen assists her father in his medical clinic—a ghost who grants wishes to those who need them most. When one of the Noor, men hired as cheap factory labor, humiliates Wen, she makes an impulsive wish of her own, and the Ghost grants it. Brutally.

Guilt-ridden, Wen befriends the Noor, including their
Hardcover, First Edition, 321 pages
Published August 5th 2014 by Margaret K. McElderry Books

To ask other readers questions about Of Metal and Wishes, please sign up.

Kenneth Roman Ghost like Phantom of the Opera. There are a lot of Phantom of the Opera undertones in this book. I enjoyed spotting one and then comparing it with…moreGhost like Phantom of the Opera. There are a lot of Phantom of the Opera undertones in this book. I enjoyed spotting one and then comparing it with the original book and other Phantom adaptations.(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Ally
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
YA Novels of 2014
225th out of 1,526 books — 8,806 voters
Isla and the Happily Ever After by Stephanie PerkinsOf Metal and Wishes by Sarah FineThe Islands at the End of the World by Austin AslanGates of Thread and Stone by Lori M. LeeBetween the Spark and the Burn by April Genevieve Tucholke
New YA August 2014
2nd out of 86 books — 62 voters

More lists with this book...

Khanh (the Grinch)
Nov 04, 2014 Khanh (the Grinch) rated it it was ok
I bite my lip. My skin is hot with shame and I can’t quite catch my breath. “Did they do that to all of you?”

She gives me a pitying look. “Only you.”

I look at them, and I look down at myself, and I know why. All of the other women are wearing simple brown dresses with straight skirts and plain sleeves. I look like a peacock in this embroidered dress of mine.
This is a stunningly beautiful, complex book, but for two words: rape culture. Fucking rape culture, man.

This is one of the most reluctant
Wendy Darling
4.5 stars This gorgeous, poignant retelling of The Phantom of the Opera has shudder-inducing moments, wistful romance, and protagonists who care deeply about things other than themselves. AND diverse characters and class division and the most beautiful cover I've seen yet this year.

Recommended for fans of Cruel Beauty, The Winner's Curse, and other such dreamy but serious stories featuring forbidden love and atypical YA heroines.

Review to come.
Lola  Reviewer
Sep 03, 2014 Lola Reviewer rated it liked it
Recommended to Lola by: Sam
How...

description

That cliffhanger is just the worst...yet those are actuallty my favorites for they in reality make me long for a sequel. I just hope the continuation for this book will be released soon.

The premise of the story is not that high but the story does deliver. We have this mysterious ghost who keeps surprising us and, guess what? He grants wishes! Whatever your desire, he will make it come true. Except that sometimes we wish too quickly, without giving something second thoughts...

Wen is the ki
Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
An ARC of this novel was received from publisher/author in exchange for an honest review.

This review can also be found at The Starry-Eyed Revue.

Full review follows Review in a GIFfy below.
_________________________

Review in a GIFfy -- This can also be found at The Starry-Eyed Revue.

I wasn't expecting to get the approval for Of Metal and Wishes, so when I received a copy for review from Simon & Schuster, there was a little flailing involved:

In the first five percent of the book, when I realiz
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
There is a ghost in the slaughterhouse. I kid you not. After our time in Suicide City with Lela Santos, this is where Sarah Fine chose to send us. A slaughterhouse. With a ghost inside. Can someone please give me a hug?

Of Metal and Wishes promised to be a terrifying and strangely beautiful story and it certainly delivered. It is practically unputdownable; once the atmosphere envelops you, the only way out is through the last page, and you have no choice but to go there. Fine’s writing i
Chantal
Do you ever read and a book and think that technically you’re supposed to love everything about it, but you just somehow find yourself completely detached from everything and everyone? That’s what happened to me while reading Of Metal and Wishes. The premise sounded like something I would really enjoy (a Phantom of the Opera retelling? Count me in!) and the story contained intriguing elements (Chinese influence, a slaughterhouse setting) but I didn’t care what would happen to any of the characte ...more
A.G. Howard
May 06, 2015 A.G. Howard rated it it was amazing
Awesome steampunkish Phantom of the Opera adaptation. Really want to read book 2!
Rashika (is tired)
Aug 01, 2014 Rashika (is tired) rated it really liked it
***This review has also been posted on The Social Potato

When I first found out that Sarah Fine had a new book coming out, I was over the moon. My expectations soaredas I read the blurb, and I knew I needed this book in my life. It was only a couple weeks before reading this that I found out that this book was actually a retelling of The Phantom of the Opera. I don’t remember much from the movie (and I’ve never read the book) but I remembered the haunting atmosphere and the chills and how absolut
Keertana
Aug 04, 2014 Keertana rated it really liked it
Rating: 3.5 Stars

First and foremost, you should know that I've never read or seen "The Phantom of the Opera." Secondly, you should know that I read Of Metal and Wishes not even knowing it was a re-telling of the above classic. So. If you're looking for a comprehensive review comparing these two novels, you've come to the wrong place.

Nevertheless, despite my lack of insight into the re-telling aspect of Of Metal and Wishes, I enjoyed it immensely. Wen assists her father in a medical clinic locat
Krys

Of Metal and Wishes is an upcoming Gothic Young Adult novel by Sarah Fine. The book is a retelling of The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux set it in a slaughterhouse. This novel is a stand alone.

Wen works alongside her father, Guiren, in the Gochan One, a slaughterhouse that supplies much of the surrounding area’s meat products. Wen assists Guiren, a doctor, as his nurse. While doing this all of her needs are met by the factory, though Gochan One extracts a heavy debt from its occupants. We
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
I have been a huge fan of Ms. Fine's beautiful and sometimes dark and emotional writing since picking up her very first book. She is one of those authors that completely gets you immersed in the world she has created and before you know it you are completely lost to it.

Her beautiful and poignant writing is something to be revered and cherished. Something that can't be rushed or hurried as you dive into the breathtaking prose and soak it all in.

The almost steampunk Phantom of the Opera feel to t
Lindsay Cummings
Jan 29, 2014 Lindsay Cummings rated it it was amazing
AMAZING BOOK...a horrific, gorgeous, haunting, perfectly told rendition of Phantom of the Opera.

I finished it in just a few days! I had no idea what to expect when I started this one...especially because the characters lived in a completely different culture than what I'm used to in the United States. Sometimes, as a reader, that can be uncomfortable...but the characters and the story sucked me right in, and I didn't want to come back out once I started.
What a fantastic writing style---beautifu
Cait Grace
This was nowhere near the glorious retelling I hoped for. CONSIDER ME SAD. I felt it lacked in just about every single aspect...except the amazingness of it being a retelling of Phantom of the Opera. CAN WE TAKE A MOMENT FOR THAT COMPLETE FABULOUSNESS?? (I wish there were more obscure retellings like this!)
description

The setting is supposedly Asia.It felt mildly steampunk, but I'm assuming either futuristic or an early 1900s style rewrite. It's set in a slaughter-house. EW. Like they chopped up meat and th
Alexa
Aug 05, 2014 Alexa rated it it was amazing
My review can also be found on my blog Collections.

As soon as I finished reading chapter one, I just knew I was going to love this book. The eerie setting gave me a feeling similar to what I get when I look at photos of old buildings and factories. Wonder and awe. I felt this way not only with the setting but the entire story. It wasn't at all a surprise though because Of Metal and Wishes is the fourth novel I've read by Sarah Fine and her stories are some of my absolute favorites.

Of Metal and W
Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews
*Genre* Retellings, Fantasy, Young Adult
*rating* 3.5-4

*My Thoughts*

Of Metal and Wishes is the first installment in the Of Metal and Wishes series by Sarah Fine. Sixteen-year-old Wen, an Itanyai, assists her father in his medical clinic at the local slaughterhouse. Wen and her family were once high class society, until her mother passed away, and was sent to live with her father at the factory. Wen has heard about a ghost that supposedly grants wishes to those who leave offerings to him.

*Full Re
Beth  (Curling Up With A Good Book)
So first of all...I have loved each and every book that Sarah Fine has co-authored or written. Every story she writes is so full of heart and suspense. I find myself completely intertwined in every story......SO....when I found out Sarah had written a new novel called Of Metal And Wishes that was supposed to be a re-telling of The Phantom of The Opera...then of course I had to get my hands on it!!!!! and I was not disappointed. Of Metal and Wishes is a phenomenally written YA Romance and Suspens ...more
♥ Sarah
WARNING: MAJOR RANT ABOUT THE ASIAN HATE IN THIS BOOK!

I was tricked by the enchantingly dreamy, beautiful cover. And the promising luster of the strange, eerie, and wonderful: a dash of steampunk, a tour de force romance, and a magical re-telling of The Phantom of the Opera. It was the perfect set up. Needless to say, I had very high hopes.

There were parts that were tolerable about this book. After all, I read this in only a couple of hours. It had the whole, “re-telling” (albeit, a very LOOSE r
Mauoijenn ~ *Mouthy Jenn* ~
This was an interesting story line and I ate it up.
It had a few spots were it was kind of predictable but it was good none the less.
Wish I had a ghost grant me a few wishes. Or maybe not!
Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
Re-read/listen so that I can get to the sequel posthaste! :D

Original review here.

Loved it just as much upon the second reading. All the Wen and Melik feels right now. CANNOT WAIT to start Of Dreams and Rust! And I'm mulling over whether to read Of Shadows and Obsession, but I'm not sure yet. After re-reading, I'm still kind of pissed at Bo, though I know he redeemed himself in the end...
Jubilation Lee
Welp, it’s a new year, I’ve read 23 books since January 1st, and this is the first one I’m reviewing. Looks like my average is going to be even more tragic than 2015, ugh.

But anyway! Of Metal and Wishes. One of my co-workers was literally like, “I don’t have time to read this book, but it looks amazing, and she’s not white for once, so why don’t you read it for me and tell me how it is?” Let it never be said I’m not willing to read random titles for friends, you guys. Jessica, I can 100% report
Julianna Helms
ASIAN ON THE COVER. AMAZIIIIIING BLURB. GIMMEGIMMEGIMMEGIMMEGIMME!!!!!!
Heidi
Jul 31, 2014 Heidi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Five stars: A brilliant retelling of The Phantom of the Opera.

Wen tucks her head down and scurries to the depot. The Noor are arriving today, the latest recruits to work the killing floors of the slaughterhouse where Wen now lives with her father who is the physician. Wen is curious about the Noor as she has been told her whole life that they are dangerous barbarians. Yet when they disembark, they don't seem barbaric. A tall, skinny young man with rust colored hair catches Wen's eye. Wen has nev
Jo
Good the second time around! I love Sarah Fine's writing.
July 23-26, 2014
So, so good! It was the perfect blend of plot, characterization and beautiful writing. Oh, and did I mention that it was based loosely on The Phantom of the Opera? Anything to do with Phantom is a must read in my book, and I am so glad that this one lived up to my expectations. I cannot wait to read the sequel to this one! I want to see more of this world. Sarah Fine did a great job of creating a world within a wor
nick
Jul 25, 2014 nick rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, 2014-favorites

I read Of Metal and Wishes together with Sam over at Realm of Fiction one weekend and I was entirely smitten throughout. I tried to read the book as excruciatingly slow as possible, but it had such a hold over me that I absolutely couldn't not read it faster. While I was out doing my daily chores, my thoughts would easily wander to Of Metal and Wishes and even now, two weeks after I finished the book, I'm still reeling from the aftermath of reading a brilliant book.

Sarah Fine knows how to craft
Alyssa

Rating: 4 stars
Source: eARC from Edelweiss

Summary (from Goodreads):

Michelle (tinyturtle88)
Loved it! Light on the steampunk, just right on the ghost story, great job on the triangle, nice asian flair to Phantom! I have been 'next in line' for the second book for what feels like years. Can't wait to read it. Hope it's as good as this one!
rin kim
I've been thinking about the book and now I'm reducing my final mark to 2 stars.

Why?
Well, first of all, I understood that I didn't really like anything about this book. Wen is one of the most bland female MCs ever, the romance is dull and boring, there is barely a likable character, world building is nonexistent, first-person POV ruins the book, the writing is weird and it has lots of disturbing things.
I think the book is either a hit or miss and it's obviously a miss with me. I hated all the ra
Harlee
Nov 13, 2015 Harlee rated it really liked it
I'm surprised I ended up really enjoying this book! I might even say I loved it.
The beginning felt a bit too fast to me. (view spoiler) From the synopsis it seemed like the biggest part of the story had already taken place within the first 100 pages so I was thinking what else i
Rivka Ray
This review and others are found on 26 countless possibilities

I have read some pretty amazing books this summer. I had hit into a couple books that were not impressing me, and I wanted another book that would blow me away. I checked 6 books out at the library hoping at least one of them would be something I love. I wanted an amazing book that would draw me in and make me not want to put it down. Of Metal and Wishes did exactly that for me.

Of Metal and Wishes is a retelling of The Phantom of the
Morgan
While there were a few things that usually irk me, there were things to balance them out. Where Wen's people are very patriarchal/sexist/and most of the men seem like rapists... Melik's people let women have more of a say in who they want to be with and don't frown on affection.

This is a retelling of The Phantom of the Opera...but with a dash of dystopia/Upton Sinclair's The Jungle/what might be more "gadgetpunk" than steampunk/and lots of bits of other things. I agree with my best friend that M
Play Book Tag: Of Metal and Wishes by Sarah Fine - 4 stars 3 6 Apr 23, 2016 10:08PM
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Apr 10, 2015 10:18AM
Sirens Conference: Of Metal and Wishes 1 13 Jan 14, 2015 01:34PM
Addicted to YA: INT Giveaway: Of Metal and Wishes by Sarah Fine 1 24 Jul 29, 2014 03:15AM
  • Beware the Wild (Beware the Wild, #1)
  • Mistwalker
  • Servants of the Storm
  • The Mirk and Midnight Hour
  • Strange Sweet Song
  • The Glass Casket
  • The Lovely and the Lost (The Dispossessed, #2)
  • Tsarina
  • Winterspell (Winterspell, #1)
  • Gates of Thread and Stone (Gates of Thread and Stone #1)
  • Teen Spirit
  • Sekret (Sekret, #1)
  • Such Sweet Sorrow
  • The Fire Wish (The Jinni Wars, #1)
  • Between the Spark and the Burn (Between, #2)
  • Dissonance (Dissonance, #1)
  • Trail of Shadows and Blood (A Tale So Dark & Grimm, #1)
  • Knight Assassin
When I'm not writing, I'm psychologizing (really, I even get a paycheck for it). Sometimes I do both at the same time. The results are unpredictable.

To receive updates on new releases, sales, and bonus material, go to http://sarahfinebooks.com/ and click at the top of the page to sign up for the newsletter.

For extra information about the Guards of the Shadowlands series, including Malachi's perso
More about Sarah Fine...

Of Metal and Wishes (2 books)
  • Of Dreams and Rust (Of Metal and Wishes, #2)

“We cannot own each other, Bo. We can only offer what is ours to give.” 9 likes