Of Metal and Wishes

Of Metal and Wishes (Of Metal and Wishes #1)

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  122 ratings  ·  39 reviews
There are whispers of a ghost in the slaughterhouse where sixteen-year-old Wen assists her father in his medical clinic—a ghost who grants wishes to those who need them most. When one of the Noor, men hired as cheap factory labor, humiliates Wen, she makes an impulsive wish of her own, and the Ghost grants it. Brutally.

Guilt-ridden, Wen befriends the Noor, including their...more
Expected publication: August 5th 2014 by Margaret K. McElderry Books

Win a Copy of This Book

Of Metal and Wishes
    Release date: Aug 05, 2014
    Sixteen-year-old Wen assists her father in his medical clinic, housed in a slaughterhouse staffed by the Noor, men hired as cheap factory labor. Wen o…more
    Giveaway dates: Jul 05 - Aug 05, 2014
    25 copies available, 608 people requesting
    Countries available: US
  • Friend Reviews

City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra ClareThe One by Kiera CassCress by Marissa MeyerIgnite Me by Tahereh MafiDreams of Gods & Monsters by Laini Taylor
    YA Novels of 2014
    252nd out of 1,310 books — 6,012 voters
    Secrets of the Realm by Bev StoutThe Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman AlexieThe Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen ChboskyWill Grayson, Will Grayson by John GreenHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling
    Diversity in Young Adult and Middle Grade
    77th out of 703 books — 290 voters

More lists with this book...

Wendy Darling
    Gothic? Ghosts? SLAUGHTERHOUSES? I'm already all tingly with excitement!
    Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
    An ARC of this novel was received from publisher/author in exchange for an honest review.

This review can also be found at The Starry-Eyed Revue.

Full review follows Review in a GIFfy below.
    _________________________

Review in a GIFfy -- This can also be found at The Starry-Eyed Revue.

I wasn't expecting to get the approval for Of Metal and Wishes, so when I received a copy for review from Simon & Schuster, there was a little flailing involved:

In the first five percent of the book, when I realiz...more
    Krys

Of Metal and Wishes is an upcoming Gothic Young Adult novel by Sarah Fine. The book is a retelling of The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux set it in a slaughterhouse. This novel is a stand alone.

Wen works alongside her father, Guiren, in the Gochan One, a slaughterhouse that supplies much of the surrounding area’s meat products. Wen assists Guiren, a doctor, as his nurse. While doing this all of her needs are met by the factory, though Gochan One extracts a heavy debt from its occupants. We...more
    Lindsay Cummings
    AMAZING BOOK...a horrific, gorgeous, haunting, perfectly told rendition of Phantom of the Opera.

I finished it in just a few days! I had no idea what to expect when I started this one...especially because the characters lived in a completely different culture than what I'm used to in the United States. Sometimes, as a reader, that can be uncomfortable...but the characters and the story sucked me right in, and I didn't want to come back out once I started.
    What a fantastic writing style---beautifu...more
    Alexa
    As soon as I finished reading chapter one, I just knew I was going to love this book. The eerie setting gave me a feeling similar to what I get when I look at photos of old buildings and factories. Wonder and awe. I felt this way not only with the setting but the entire story. It wasn't at all a surprise though because Of Metal and Wishes is the fourth novel I've read by Sarah Fine and her stories are some of my absolute favorites.

Of Metal and Wishes revolved around Wen, a sixteen-year-old girl...more
    Keertana
    Rating: 3.5 Stars

Of Metal and Wishes is fantastic, as all Fine's novels are, but I struggled with the setting and background of this fictional factory. From the cover model and the names of the characters, it is evident that the characters are of Asian origin, but at the same time, I do not think this is a historical fiction novel, necessarily. I haven't heard of the Noor before, which means that the conflicts within this novel are merely fictional, as is the setting and political turmoil. But i...more
    Isamlq
    3.5

At first Of Metal and Wishes had me thinking Beauty and the Beast; only wait a beat and it’s Phantom of the Opera. I enjoyed this despite the female lead not being the most sympathetic at first. She was too ‘woe is me’. 16 year-old Wen is struggling with the changes that have come and the roles she’s been assigned from her mother’s daughter to doctor’s assistant, none of it’s what she had planned for herself.

As she adjusts, more change comes with the Noor, perceived less and treated thus, t...more
    Julianna Helms
    ASIAN ON THE COVER. AMAZIIIIIING BLURB. GIMMEGIMMEGIMMEGIMMEGIMME!!!!!!
    Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
    I have been a huge fan of Ms. Fine's beautiful and sometimes dark and emotional writing since picking up her very first book. She is one of those authors that completely gets you immersed in the world she has created and before you know it you are completely lost to it.

Her beautiful and poignant writing is something to be revered and cherished. Something that can't be rushed or hurried as you dive into the breathtaking prose and soak it all in.

The almost steampunk Phantom of the Opera feel to t...more
    Jaime Loren
    This novel was amazing from beginning to end--the type of novel that draws you in and doesn't let go, even long after you've finished it. In fact, I read it in one sitting because I couldn't put it down! It is, by far, one of the most hauntingly beautiful stories I've ever read. Sarah Fine has definitely mastered the perfect combination of chemistry and suspense, with writing that will make you sigh aloud because it is seriously. That. Good. (No, really. I actually did that)

I just can't wait for...more
    Alyssa

Rating: 4 stars
    Source: eARC from Edelweiss

Summary (from Goodreads):

Lauren  (YABookers)
    I received a free copy from the publishers via Edelweiss.

Actual rating:4.5

Of Metal and Wishes is such a compelling gothic horror. I don't know what I was expecting but it was not this heartbreaking, chilling and suspenseful novel. I've heard it's a Phantom of the Opera retelling, but seeing as I've never read the book, nor seen the movie, or it in the theatre etc. etc. it didn't influence my reading at all, but perhaps fans of Phantom will certainly find some satisfaction in reading this dark no...more
    Rayne
    Read-along with the wonderful Tsunami!

Of Metal and Wishes is a really strong novel as its core, but it had a tendency to rely on the threat of rape to keep the tension going and the protagonist was too dense, self-centered and prone to dramatic exclamations of how everything was her fault.

It is a good novel with a solid story, a great setting and decent writing, but there were way too many details that got to me and had a lot more influence on my impression and rating of the novel than any of t...more
    Cyp
    Jul 30, 2013 Cyp marked it as to-read
    I've never really liked ghost novels...but SARAH FINE AND PHANTOM OF THE OPERA IN A SLAUGHTERHOUSE!?!? Plus romance???

*swoon*

P.S. I've always loved how Fine gives her characters really unique names, as opposed to many novels that have Laura's and Peter's.
    Jam
    p good, the first pages were like WHOMP in my nostalgic book feels for when i took chinese modern drama and chinese modern fiction -- the writing reminded me of that, at least in the beginning*

basically a solid ya book with ~romance~ and bonus! set in a factory, also ghosts and mechanical spiders

*v amused by all the reviews that are like this book was great! except the time period and setting?? so confusing??? like yo, clearly none of y'all have read 20th century chinese lit... it's sort of lik...more
    Lauraelisabeth (fashion-by-the-book)
    I received a copy of this book in exchanged for a honest review. In no way did the author or publishing company influence my review. or all my reviews, see my blog fashion-by-the-book.tumblr.com

Quick note: I'm going to start doing reviews a little differently: I'm going to split the things I loved and the things I wish I could change/didn't like into two groups within the review

Of Metal and Wishes is an enchanting story, throughout the whole novel. It's loosely based off The Phantom of the Opera...more
    Kae
    Jun 14, 2014 Kae rated it 5 of 5 stars
    Recommends it for: EVERYONE
    Shelves: arcs
    So I have to start out with saying that this book was amazing and a love story unlike any other. I mean, I guess if you really want to dig deep down and find where it is similar with another love story, then it COULD be like any other. But what I mean by it being unlike any other is the fact that this love story does NOT have a love triangle! No stupid love triangle! There is unrequited love, there is shared love, and there is a possessive love, but is it in the shape of a triangle? NOPE!

The wr...more
    Val
    Of Metal and Wishes is a loose retelling of Phantom of the Opera. Phantom was my obsession in middle school so I really wanted to read this one. This book did do the story justice and I found myself staying up late to finish it! It does not follow the story exactly and deviates quite a bit so don't expect a perfect match.

The only struggle I had was with the setting. It is clearly set in an Asian culture but is not a historical retelling. The Noors and Itanyai are purely fictional and it's hard...more
    Stacy
    Mar 02, 2014 Stacy added it
    I absolutely enjoyed reading this book, from the characters to the world building. It’s full of romance, but has a solid mystery with complex characters that make you grit your teeth and makes your heart swoon.

This story is driven by Wen and those that she affects and a building tension that is set to explode. Though, I think the best thing about this book is the world-building. It’s completely unique, but doesn’t overtake or shadow the story. In essence, it is part of the story and the descript...more
    Brigid
    Absolutely one of my favorite books ever. I loved this one.
    Sam

review to come. :)
    Cas
    Feb 12, 2013 Cas marked it as awaiting-release
    Please, please be as good as it sounds!
    Michelle Arrow
    *4.5 star rating*

*Thank you to Simon and Schuster for providing me with an ARC of this book, in exchange for a honest review.*

What can I say? This book was amazing. Colour me surprised!

This idea and summary just captivated me from the start, but I actually didn't expect this to be so good. It's now definitely one of my favourites of 2014, and I'm so glad to have an ARC and to have read it before anyone else. (Not to be cruel or anything.)

One thing before we get into the review. Is the...more
    Sharon
    Review: 3 ½ out of 5 stars

When I first heard that Of metal and Wishes was described as Phantom of the Opera set in a meat factory I was super excited to get hold of it and I’m pleased it lived up to my expectations.

Our main heroine is a sixteen year-old Itanyai girl, Wen who after the death of her mother now works as an assistant in her father’s medical clinic in a slaughterhouse in Gochan One far from the life of beauty and relative ease her mother had planned for her.

Wen wasn’t always the mo...more
    Ben
    This is 4.5 stars for me. I'm falling in love with Gothics, especially the ones with awesome settings. This book did not disappoint. Phantom of the Opera in a slaughterhouse? I read that and I as all in. The writing is beautiful and I was glued to the pages all the way through. My only regret is that the mc is a little whiny and lame. I had a hard time connecting with her, but the rest of the book more than made up for it.
    Ellen
    Wen is the daughter of a medic working in a factory that exploits ethnically different Noor workers. She forms a relationship with a particularly good-looking, worthy Noor. She's constantly under attack, especially when she wears her mother's beautifully made clothes. Yeah, it's predictable, but I'm a big fan of Fine's writing, and there's just enough drama to make me want to read more.
    Matthew Galloway
    A fascinating and tense story that ended up being the retelling of an older tale (and I'm not going to say what it was because I enjoyed the sudden feeling of realization). The story was just as amazing for the world-building and explorations of cultural differences as it was for the mystery of the Ghost and the mayhem that ensues.
    Alina Yen
    I read the majority of this book in one night- it kept me up so I could finish it.

The dialogue of this book is very smooth and well written. To be honest, entire book is well written! As I read, it strongly reminded me of the Phantom of the Opera. Descriptive and captivating. I recommend highly!
    Ashley Eisworth
    Of Metal and Wishes is a re-telling of Phantom of the Opera with more romance thrown in. It has a lot of elements going on--Asian setting, racial prejudice, forbidden romance, steampunk, ghosts, etc. While this many elements normally results in a hot mess, Sarah Fine somehow made it all work. I had a hard time putting it down, and I quite enjoyed it on the whole.
    • Servants of the Storm
    • Dissonance (Dissonance, #1)
    • Beware the Wild
    • The Cure for Dreaming
    • The Girl from the Well
    • Fiendish
    • Gates of Thread and Stone
    • Tell the Wind and Fire
    • Salt & Storm
    • The Fire Wish (The Jinni Wars, #1)
    • Dove Arising
    • Exquisite Captive (Dark Caravan Cycle #1)
    • Stray
    • Suspicion
    • Mortal Danger (Immortal Game, #1)
    • MARY: The Summoning (Bloody Mary, #1)
    • The Walled City
    • Untitled (The Goldscryer Saga, #1)
    When I'm not writing, I'm psychologizing (really, I even get a paycheck for it). Sometimes I do both at the same time. The results are unpredictable.

For extra information about the Guards of the Shadowlands series, including Malachi's personal journal entries, or to ask a question: http://guardsoftheshadowlands.tumblr....

For information about the inspirations for Of Metal and Wishes: http://www.p...more
    More about Sarah Fine...
    Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1) Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2) Captive: A Guard's Tale from Malachi's Perspective Scan (Scan, #1) Untitled (Guards of the Shadowlands, #3)