Start by marking “Tales of the North” as Want to Read:
Tales of the North

Tales of the North

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  401 ratings  ·  14 reviews
If you enjoy nonstop adventure and heroic exploits, then you are sure to love Tales of the North. This wonderful compilation includes, in facsimile of the original turn of the century magazines, the complete novels of White Fang, The Sea-Wolf, The Call of the Wild and Cruise of the Dazzler, plus 15 short stories -- all with original illustrations This is an adventure you w ...more
Published June 1st 2003 by Caste Books (first published January 1st 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Tales of the North, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tales of the North

Jason Katz
Just some quick notes on two of the novels contained here:

First, Call of the Wild is incredible. If you're not a dog person, don't worry, it's not really about a dog anyway, but about us and everything we have lost under the comforts of civilization. Read it as an allegory of the human condition, as it was intended to be read, and it may speak to your unconscious in ways few books ever have.

White Fang, inevitably, is not as good as Call of the Wild, but it's a good companion piece, if you want
Shawn
This is the second collection of Jack London stories I have read and I have to say I prefer the smaller, World Classics collection better. I had already read Call of the Wild and White Fang, with White Fang being the superior of those two, and I really wasn't impressed with the Sea Wolf or Cruise of the Dazzler. Grit of Women, Wife of a King, and The White Silence were my favorites from this collection. I would advise anyone who has interest in London's stories outside Call of the Wild and White ...more
Koen Kop
Contains his most famous novels, "The Call of the Wild", "White Fang" and "The Sea-Wolf", great short stories such as "The law of life", "The wisdom of the trail", "The god of his fathers" and "Grit of women" - and then some stories that were not so impressive - that's why I gave it only four stars.
James Neve
I like London in small batches; read several in a row and it just gets funny. Odyssey of the North is just dark humor, to me. I mean, what are you really saying, Jack? By the way, I did marry into his family, the poor bastard child.
Cody
Oh man, some of these short stories were amazing. "Grit of Women" "Wife of the King" "The God of his Fathers", and "The White Silence" were some of my favorites. I wanted to shoot myself while I was reading "The Sea-Wolf" because I could have cared less about all that nonsense, but hey, now I've read it, so I know what it's about, and that's really all I want out of books a lot of the time. I just wanna know what's up.
Cwn_annwn_13
I found this on the bargain table at a bookstore. This includes three GREAT Jack London novels, Call of the Wild, White Fang, and The Sea Wolf, along with 15 of his Alaskan wilderness short stories and Cruise of the Dazzler as well.This book can be found on amazon.com for less than a dollar most of the time so as far as bang for your buck you can't do better than picking up a copy of this book.
Sacha
I finally finished it! I started this book over the winter because so many books about winter reference Jack London stories. Surprisingly, I think the book I enjoyed most was the Sea Wolf. I couldn't wait to know what would happen next and if there would ever be an escape.
Steven Swanger
Every bit as engaging as I remember from my childhood.
Rachel
I just couldn't get into this. It's very violent and dark - not my thing at all. Well written, to be sure, but the content was insurmountable in my mind and kept me from enjoying this.
Merry
These are all great stories especially "The Sea Wolf" and I love "The Call of the Wild", it is one of my favorite books.
Ann
If you've never read much of Jack London this edition is super. It has all his best.
Beckey
Best collection of Jack London's books...
Doug
Apr 16, 2009 Cws added it
Shelves: jar-fiction
JAR6+-Lon
Ruth
Ruth marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
Sarah is currently reading it
May 19, 2015
Boris Chen
Boris Chen marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
Maegan
Maegan is currently reading it
May 13, 2015
christy cannell
christy cannell marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
  • Spanish Fly
  • Across China
  • The Clan of the Cave Bear, the Valley of Horses, the Mammoth Hunters, the Plains of Passage, The Shelters of Stone (Earth's Children, #1-5)
  • River Rising
  • Island of the World
  • 100 Selected Stories (Wordsworth Classics)
  • The Wolfling: A Documentary Novel of the Eighteen-Seventies
  • The Joy Luck Club
  • Collected Stories
  • Neighbors
  • The Homecoming
Jack London was an American novelist, journalist, social-activist and short-story writer whose works deal romantically with elemental struggles for survival. At his peak, he was the highest paid and the most popular of all living writers. Because of early financial difficulties, he was largely self educated past grammar school.

London drew heavily on his life experiences in his writing. He spent ti
More about Jack London...
The Call of the Wild White Fang The Call of the Wild/White Fang The Sea Wolf The Call of the Wild, White Fang and Other Stories