Start by marking “Ramage & the Saracens” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Ramage & the Saracens

Dudley Pope

Ramage & the Saracens (The Lord Ramage Novels #17)

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  174 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Barbary Coast pirates--the Saraceni--are capturing slaves and terrorizing fishing villages along the coast of Sicily. Ramage and his crew are sent to track them down before they can devastate another town.
Published September 1st 2002 by McBooks Press (first published October 3rd 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Ramage & the Saracens, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ramage & the Saracens

Ronald Meinung
Of all the Damage novels thus far, this was far and away my least favorite. The story was disjointed, the supporting characters stale, and of course the ever present Ramage invincibility. There were quite a few descriptions of nautical terms, plans, and people that were repeated in different chapters. Overall I got the feeling the book was largely filler in the series between Trafalgar and the last book in the series. Could easily be skipped with no hiccup in the storyline. Still, if you have an ...more
M. Kei
My first encounter with Lord Ramage is very likely to be my last. His Muslim villains are cardboard characters who make no sense at all and are easily defeated by our fine and manly hero, who is lusting after some chick we've never met because we aren't following the series. Yawn.

I'm trying to think of some good points, but I'm afraid they're damning with faint praise, eg, "Uses proper English grammar" (which in this day and age cannot be taken for granted). I also think that if a reviewer real
Al Eden
I enjoyed this entire series. It is a shame that Pope died before producing more of them. Clearly he had more stories in mind to tell here.
Peter
The first of the Ramage books - all of which are exciting and well written. The Ramage series ranks 3rd with me behind Hornblower and Bolitho for age of sail excitement. Ramage is just a little too good and nothing is impossible..
June
June added it
Mar 14, 2015
Michael W
Michael W marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2015
Brook
Brook marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
Tony
Tony added it
Feb 04, 2015
Herman H. Camp
Herman H. Camp marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Honour this Day (Richard Bolitho, #19)
  • A King's Commander (Alan Lewrie, #7)
Dudley Pope was born in Ashford, Kent.

By concealing his age, Pope joined the Home Guard aged 14 and at age 16 joined the Merchant Navy as a cadet. His ship was torpedoed the next year (1942). Afterwards, he spent two weeks in a lifeboat with the few other survivors.

After he was invalided out of the Merchant Navy, the only obvious sign of the injuries Pope had suffered was a joint missing from on
More about Dudley Pope...

The Lord Ramage Novels (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Ramage (The Lord Ramage Novels, #1)
  • Ramage & the Drumbeat (The Lord Ramage Novels, #2)
  • Ramage & the Freebooters (The Lord Ramage Novels, #3)
  • Governor Ramage R. N.
  • Ramage's Prize (The Lord Ramage Novels, #5)
  • Ramage & the Guillotine (The Lord Ramage Novels, #6)
  • Ramage's Diamond (The Lord Ramage Novels, #7)
  • Ramage's Mutiny (The Lord Ramage Novels, #8)
  • Ramage & the Rebels (The Lord Ramage Novels, #9)
  • The Ramage Touch (The Lord Ramage Novels, #10)
Ramage (The Lord Ramage Novels, #1) Ramage & the Drumbeat (The Lord Ramage Novels, #2) Ramage & the Freebooters (The Lord Ramage Novels, #3) Ramage's Prize (The Lord Ramage Novels, #5) Governor Ramage R. N.