Start by marking “Ramage & the Saracens” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Ramage & the Saracens

Dudley Pope

Ramage & the Saracens (Lord Ramage #17)

Barbary Coast pirates--the Saraceni--are capturing slaves and terrorizing fishing villages along the coast of Sicily. Ramage and his crew are sent to track them down before they can devastate another town.
Published September 1st 2002 by McBooks Press (first published October 3rd 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Ramage & the Saracens, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ramage & the Saracens

Jim
May 05, 2017 Jim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This, the 17th novel in Dudley Pope's Lord Ramage Adventure series, is jam-packed with naval action at sea, conflict on land, excitement and surprise! The surprise comes in the last 2 pages of the novel

Ramage as captain of the frigate, HMS Calypso, is ordered to report to the British admiral in command in Naples on the Italian peninsula. Having just participated in the Battle of Trafalgar, Ramage is surprised when he comes across two French ships of the line and two French frigates, all of which
Ronald Meinung
Of all the Damage novels thus far, this was far and away my least favorite. The story was disjointed, the supporting characters stale, and of course the ever present Ramage invincibility. There were quite a few descriptions of nautical terms, plans, and people that were repeated in different chapters. Overall I got the feeling the book was largely filler in the series between Trafalgar and the last book in the series. Could easily be skipped with no hiccup in the storyline. Still, if you have an ...more
M. Kei
My first encounter with Lord Ramage is very likely to be my last. His Muslim villains are cardboard characters who make no sense at all and are easily defeated by our fine and manly hero, who is lusting after some chick we've never met because we aren't following the series. Yawn.

I'm trying to think of some good points, but I'm afraid they're damning with faint praise, eg, "Uses proper English grammar" (which in this day and age cannot be taken for granted). I also think that if a reviewer real
Clifdisc
Jul 16, 2015 Clifdisc rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm very sad to be coming to the end of Dudley Pope's Ramage series. I've been spacing the books out one per year to make them last. Ramage and the Saracens is as gripping and readable as every book in the series. I actually found myself moved by the conclusion of this book.
Peter
The first of the Ramage books - all of which are exciting and well written. The Ramage series ranks 3rd with me behind Hornblower and Bolitho for age of sail excitement. Ramage is just a little too good and nothing is impossible..
Kevin Metcalfe
Dudley Pope's Ramage books are a good set of books to read if you liked the C. S. Forester's Horatio Hornblower and O'Brien's Aubrey/Maturin books. They aren't quite on the same level, but still quite enjoyable.
Jon Box
Nov 28, 2015 Jon Box rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great Pope read and Ramage adventure!
Al Eden
Jun 13, 2014 Al Eden rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this entire series. It is a shame that Pope died before producing more of them. Clearly he had more stories in mind to tell here.
Jon Box
Feb 13, 2013 Jon Box rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great Pope read and Ramage adventure!
Cynthia
Cynthia rated it it was amazing
Jun 01, 2016
David Pinals
David Pinals rated it liked it
Sep 17, 2015
Kay Fisher
Kay Fisher rated it it was amazing
Oct 30, 2012
Sue Law
Sue Law rated it liked it
Jan 29, 2016
Ben Sykes
Ben Sykes rated it it was amazing
Nov 10, 2012
Ronanf
Ronanf rated it it was ok
Mar 31, 2013
Kathy
Kathy rated it it was amazing
May 16, 2015
Michael R. Fuller
Michael R. Fuller rated it liked it
Jan 07, 2017
Mike
Mike rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2016
Neils
Neils rated it it was amazing
Sep 23, 2009
Matt Cimino
Matt Cimino rated it really liked it
May 28, 2014
abram blue lieberman
abram blue lieberman rated it really liked it
Apr 28, 2017
Sven
Sven rated it really liked it
Oct 02, 2011
Christopher
Christopher rated it really liked it
Jul 15, 2012
Mark Lyons
Mark Lyons rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2014
Stuart Mcgrigor
Stuart Mcgrigor rated it liked it
Jan 28, 2013
Joshua Varni
Joshua Varni rated it it was amazing
May 07, 2016
Yvonne Powderly
Yvonne Powderly rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2012
Nerva Maximus
Nerva Maximus rated it it was amazing
Aug 18, 2014
Wendy Gilmore
Wendy Gilmore rated it it was amazing
Feb 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Honour this Day (Richard Bolitho, #19)
  • H.M.S. Cockerel (Alan Lewrie, #6)
  • Artemis (Kydd Sea Adventures, #2)
Dudley Pope was born in Ashford, Kent.

By concealing his age, Pope joined the Home Guard aged 14 and at age 16 joined the Merchant Navy as a cadet. His ship was torpedoed the next year (1942). Afterwards, he spent two weeks in a lifeboat with the few other survivors.

After he was invalided out of the Merchant Navy, the only obvious sign of the injuries Pope had suffered was a joint missing from on
More about Dudley Pope...

Lord Ramage (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Ramage (The Lord Ramage Novels, #1)
  • Ramage & the Drumbeat (The Lord Ramage Novels, #2)
  • Ramage & the Freebooters (The Lord Ramage Novels, #3)
  • Governor Ramage R. N.
  • Ramage's Prize (The Lord Ramage Novels, #5)
  • Ramage & the Guillotine (The Lord Ramage Novels, #6)
  • Ramage's Diamond (The Lord Ramage Novels, #7)
  • Ramage's Mutiny (The Lord Ramage Novels, #8)
  • Ramage & the Rebels (The Lord Ramage Novels, #9)
  • The Ramage Touch (The Lord Ramage Novels, #10)