Sharpshooter (Vietnam, #2)

Sharpshooter (Vietnam #2)

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  251 ratings  ·  52 reviews
Some things are worth fighting for. Of all his friends, Ivan is the only one looking forward to war. That's because Ivan has never backed down from a fight--especially when it comes to fighting for what's right. He has protected his friends from bullies for years. And now, as war erupts in Vietnam, Ivan wants nothing more than to fight for his country, just as his father d...more
Published April 1st 2012 by Scholastic Press (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Sharpshooter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sharpshooter

Patrick
The second novel in the four part series follows Ivan through his induction into the Army, along with his partial tour in Vietnam. The story is anchored by the scene wherein Rudi is served his draft notice in Boston. Four young men enjoy the end of their childhood while they look out over the skyline of Bean Town. We learn about the same scene in the first installment of the series, but this time we are told the 'Rudi is drafted scene' from a different perspective, Ivan's.

The novels are able to...more
Moe
This book was in a pack of five. I picked this one up first because of the awesome sniper graphic. I didn't expect it to be that good, coming from scholastic and all, but it actually was quite ok. I wish it had more fighting going on, because it was more of a drama than anything. I can't imagine what it would be like to have go-army parents that expect their children to join as soon as they can. I believe I wouldn't be able to enjoy myself knowing I will be shipped off to a foreign country into...more
Nathan E. 8 Rdg
The book was very detailed in the battles and fight scenes. It almost felt as if I were right beside Rudi. My favorite part was when Rudi bayoneted his first Vietnamese soldier. It went into very deep detail on how he felt sorry for the guy. In this book I learned more about the violence and the different conditions for the soldiers. I would highly recommend this book to people interested in learning about American History. I would rate this book 3 stars because it was a great read, although you...more
Stevecrandell
This is an exciting, violent, “Fight the Right Fight” adrenaline rush, for those who can push past the intro. “Fight the Right Fight” isn’t my phrase, by the way. It’s stamped in military font across the back cover.

Sharpshooter is Book 2 in a four-part series. Each volume focuses on one of four high school friends in Boston in the late 1960s. It’s best to read the series in sequence, to avoid any spoilers, but it was easy to understand the context from this book only.

The series seems marketed...more
readknitread
Ivan and his friends make a pack that if one of them gets called up to Vietnam they will all enlist. A four part series, each detailing the experience of one of the teens. Even though it is about war it is not overtly violent. Can be read as a stand alone in the series.

Morris- Navy
Ivan- Army
Rudi- Marines
Beck- Air Force

Ivan is a Catholic Native American
Donovan, R
The book Sharpshooter by Chris Lynch is a book about four really good friends Rudi, Ivan, Morris and Beck who have known each other since they could remember. They have always made small pacts. Then, they make one pact that makes the other pacts look like small potatoes. When the Vietnam War starts and people start getting drafted they make a pact that says”If any of us gets drafted then we will all join the war.” (Lynch, page 4) Then Rudi gets drafted, so they all volunteer to fight in the war...more
Ms. Yingling
In I Pledge Allegiance, we meet four friends growing up at the height of the Vietnam conflict. Rudi is the first to get a draft notice, and is visibly upset. Morris is resigned to going, Beck wants to keep his hair long until the very last minute, but Ivan is gung-ho. His father fought with Patton in WWII, and as long as the fight is a good fight (and any fight for your country falls into that category), it's okay. Sent on a ship to Vietnam, Ivan is trained to be a sniper, and tries to do the be...more
Jeff Barber
I did enjoy this book, short as it was. Enough that I have already started the next in the series.
Each book in this four part series follows one of a tight-knit group of four friends, Morris, Ivan, Rudie, and Beck. This, book 2, sees Ivan (the tough guy of the group) leaping into the Vietnam war with gusto. The son of a WWII hero, and descendant of many other historical warriors, Ivan feels like he is built for war, and is actually happy to get a chance to kill some enemies for God and country....more
Javi Jimenez
Javier Jimenez
Period 5

By Chris Lynch
This book is about a guy named Ivan. Ivan’s dream was to be a sniper guy in the army since he was small. Ivan’s dad is retired army guy. His dad had taught Ivan many things about the war and how it feels to shoot their enemies. Ivan’s dream seemed to be very far from becoming real. Until Ivan’s dad had signed up Ivan up for a sniper training. Without Ivan knowing. there were army scouts to scout the best snipers out there. After a few months, Iv...more
121jake
This book was really good. I enjoyed it and finished it in six days, so it is not avery long book. I reccomend this book for people who like adventure books and war books.

The book Sharpshooter is the sequal to the first book I Pledge Allegience. There are four main characters in this story. Morris, Beck, Rudi, and tough guy Ivan. Ivan is the main character in this book. He is the son of a WWII war hero, so he has a lot expected of him. Ivan goes into the Marines while his friends go into differe...more
Histteach24
I started reading this series to suggest books to my students in my Vietnam Era course. As an adult, the reading was too basic and simplistic for my taste. However, I would recommend a student who struggles with reading choose this series for a book study. The author does a great job packing in many important historical facts about the Vietnam Conflict. It had educational value and may be a book a high schooler who does not enjoy reading may very well pick up and finish.
Touches on the life of a...more
Dvritreader
This is the exciting sequel to I PLEDGE ALLEGIANCE.Ivan Bucyk has joined the Army.Just like his dad,a former Captain.Except his dad was in WW2 and this is VIETNAM,and boy are they a whole lot different.Ivan becomes a sniper,and gains the rank of Corporal.Can he survive?
Carson
Chris Lynch
Historical Fiction
192 pages

I read the book Sharpshooter. In this book four friends named Ivan, Rudi, Morris, and Beck are living in the 60s when the Vietnam War was occuring. They all made a pledge that if one gets drafted the others will join. Then one day when they were hanging out on the hill overlooking the city Rudi came up and yelled that I had been drafted. We all went to the recruiting center and signed up. Ivan was put on the river boat force and was there through...more
Cole B
Chris Lynch
Historical Fiction
192 pages

I read the book Sharpshooter. In this book four friends named Ivan, Rudi, Morris, and Beck are living in the 60s when the Vietnam War was occuring. EAch friend promised each other if one got drafted the other will join them. Ivan one of the friends comes from a long-standing military family and is eager to join the fighting.Unfortunately, one of my men fell for the trap; he was shot right in the chest. My favorite part of this book is when their...more
Zachary Palmer
There I was all alone just me and my semiauto rifle sitting alone at the top of a market waiting for the perfect shot. Then here comes a man with a ski mask on and a white tangtop running acrose the street into the barber shop waiting for my men to come and chase them. Unfortunately, one of my men fell for the trap; he was shot right in the chest.My favorite part of this book is when their squad is taking heavy fire from choppers 100 feet away.

What I didn't like about the book is that their wa...more
Seth Bickford
I think the authors purpose is to entertain and to teach because the book tells you things about the war and you can see what its sort of like in the eyes of being in the army.
Stella Sperzel
I really Love this series of books by Chris Lynch. He makes the Vietnam War come to life. I grew up watching the body count on TV. It was really sad to see all of the young men (really just barely boys of 18) being sent off to a war they knew nothing about. We lost and a lot of really great men and women in this futile (Conflict)!!!!

V.

V. It was never ending. Chris makes the series of books really easy to follow our four friends.1
Kyle H
After about two weeks of reading book two (sharpshooter) I have many thoughts on it. This book is about the war and I would recommend it for the people who like war books. In this book their are 4 main characters. The characters names are Ivan,Rudi,Beck,and Morris. Ivan is the only one that is looking forward to the war. He is looking forward to it because he has never lost in a fight. When he gets there he did not expect to enter a war like Vietnam. Overall I give this book a 4 out of 5 star ra...more
Matthew
A good book. There are some graphic portions so I wouldn't encourage children under 12 to read this book.
Krista Stevens
Four good high school friends (in Boston - plus for us), make a pledge that they will either all serve if one gets drafted or will not volunteer if no one gets drafted.

Each book is told from the viewpoint of a different character - and since I've already read the first two, I can confirm that each character's voice and point of view is very unique to them. For my reluctant/struggling readers who like war - these first two books are great - very suspenseful and graphic.
Ben Robinson
Ivan has really learned more about himself during this war and he has only gotten better and better. Also his friend Rudi he's gotten a lot better and he also learned about himself too. Like at first Rudi was really scared to go to war but Ivan encouraged him and now Rudi is saying this is who I really am. Rudi said I'm not a kid anymore. Also Rudi likes war now and he realized he is a fighter and he is tough. I think this war "trip" was really good for Rudi and Ivan.
Gavin Fraser-felix
Sharpshooter, by Chris Lynch, was about a kid Rudi. His parents were in the military, and they want him to join as soon as possible. He feels like he is forced to join but one day he gets the draft letter in the mail. He finds out a couple of his friends got one too. They try to savor their last days in their home town. I have this book a three because I liked how it focused less on actual war and more on the emotions they were feeling.
David
I enjoyed this book very much. This book is about Ivan who trains to be a sniper. He is trying to look out for his friends while doing his job. The writing in this book was powerful and effective. My favorite part was when he got to fire his first shot as a sniper and kill his target. I would recommend this book to friends but only if they read the first book. This book is the second book in a four book series.
Chris Lynch's Vietnam series deals with four friends who make a pact to go to war together. This second book in the series focuses on Ivan. Ivan comes from a long-standing military family and is eager to join the fighting. However, the war is not as clear-cut and honorable as he expected it to be. (contains graphic depictions of war)
Elizabeth
This second book in the Vietnam series gives us the perspective of Ivan, who probably would have joined the Army without the pledge he made with his three best friends. It follows Ivan through his first experiences in-country and his sniper training. I had many of the same problems with this book as I had with the previous one.
Aric Belt
Ivan wanted to go to Vietnam but his other friends didn't but they also made a pledge that if one gets drafted then they all will go so when Rudi ends up getting drafted they all go and Ivan is excited because his dad fought in world war 2 and he was a war hero and Ivan wanted to be like his dad so now was his chance!
Trilla Cranford

I really enjoyed this boom more than the first one. I really liked the way it described the day to day life of a soldier in Vietnam. I insisted that by 14 year old daughter read them. She was reluctant at first, but really liked them as well. We both are very excited for the 3rd and 4th books.
Dayna Smith
The second book in the Vietnam series. Ivan is the only one of his friends who is excited about going to Vietnam. He has protected his friends and will now protect his country. He enlists in the Army and becomes a sniper. Now he's "in country" and must come face to face with the reality of war.
Queen
Adam read this one in Williamsburg; it was my Christmas present to him alongside the complete DVD set of M.A.S.H.
Allison
How I would use with student:
I would use this book in a literature circle for middle school aged boys. I think there is a lot for students to learn about the Vietnam War and what that time period was like for Americans. This book would be a good introduction to the time period.
  • Juvenile In Justice
  • First Crossing: Stories About Teen Immigrants
  • My Brother's Shadow
  • The Island of Thieves
  • Gravediggers: Mountain of Bones
  • De eerste bron
  • Phantoms In The Snow
  • The Wild (The Secret Journeys of Jack London, #1)
  • The Journal of Scott Pendalton Collins: A World War 2 Soldier
  • Moonbird: A Year on the Wind with the Great Survivor B95
  • We've Got a Job: The 1963 Birmingham Children's March
  • Stargazing Dog
  • Never Say Die
  • The Nazi Hunters: How a Team of Spies and Survivors Captured the World's Most Notorious Nazi
  • Black Ice (Young Sherlock Holmes, #3)
  • The Nazi Invasion, 1944 (I Survived, #9)
  • I Am a SEAL Team Six Warrior: Memoirs of an American Soldier
  • The Saturday Boy
Chris Lynch is the Printz Honor Award-winning author of several highly acclaimed young adult novels, including KILL SWITCH, ANGRY YOUNG MAN, and INEXCUSABLE, which was a National Book Award finalist and the recipient of six starred reviews. He is also the author of FREEWILL, GOLD DUST, ICEMAN, GYPSY DAVY, and SHADOWBOXER, all ALA Best Books for Young Adults; EXTREME ELVIN WHITECHURCH, and ALL THE...more
More about Chris Lynch...
Inexcusable I Pledge Allegiance (Vietnam, #1) Angry Young Man Free-Fire Zone (Vietnam, #3) Freewill