Start by marking “Two Gentlemen Sharing” as Want to Read:
Two Gentlemen Sharing

Two Gentlemen Sharing

Bellingford is a typical English village. Genteel vices and unspecified dramas occasionally occur but always behind closed doors and carefully laundered lace curtains - until the news breaks that the new occupants of Hall House are "two gentlemen sharing." With the arrival of Rich, a producer, and his much younger lover, Bless, a model, the scene is set for mayhem. Tossed ...more
Paperback
Published June 18th 1998 by Abacus (first published April 10th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Two Gentlemen Sharing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Two Gentlemen Sharing

Caddy Rowland
May 26, 2014 Caddy Rowland rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know why all the low ratings for this book. Look, this book isn't world-changing. It's not angst and heavy drama, not going to pluck deep thought and emotions from the reader. And usually those are things I look for in a book.

So, why did I like this book so much? Well, I had just finished a brutally grotesque book called Geek Love (which I reviewed and gave 5 stars)and my mind was worn out from that. I loved that book, but after all the ugliness of it, I needed something light and airy.
Wendell
Nov 29, 2008 Wendell rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
If you're stuck in a cabin in the woods and a bear ate all your good books, you could turn to this piece of gossamer fluff in order to while away the empty hours. But be sure to weigh it down with a rock when you're not holding in your hands or it'll float away. This is farce-and-nonsense; it's Benny Hill-meets AbFab-meets-an-East End drag show. All of which is flawless if you're into in, depressing if you're not (as they say in _Boys in the Band_). It's mostly just silly. I admit it: sometimes ...more
Derrick
May 18, 2012 Derrick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is laugh-out-loud funny. I read it in one weekend. It's a perfect book to take on vacation or to read at the cottage.
Lana.
May 17, 2012 Lana. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quiet English village, Bellingford, is set aflutter by the two new residents from London: Rich and Bless, euphemistically known as the "two gentlemen sharing". Despite full attempts to be friendly and to integrate, some long-time residents see their residency as a sign of moral degeneration that must be stopped. It doesn’t help that right following their arrival a whole host of strange characters also crash into town.

William Corlett’s comic novel delivers plenty of wackiness, while also being q
Tim Farmer
Oct 12, 2015 Tim Farmer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun sort of melodrama set in the English countryside. Quirky characters like one would see in TV shows such as "Doc Martin" made me laugh out loud, but in the end the story says something real about life anywhere.
Katie M.
Nov 13, 2009 Katie M. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008, queer
I was going to try to go out with a big splashy review bang on this one, which marks not only the last in a run of reviews of mediocre white gay dude books, but also THE LAST OF MY 2008 BOOK REVIEWS!!! But then I found this guy's review and decided that I'm not nearly sassy enough to come up with anything better than his. So I'll leave you with that. So long, 2008!
Davidberlin
I bought this on the strength of 'Now and Then' which is a powerful and moving gay novel. This is flimsy and strained by comparison.
Rick
May 26, 2014 Rick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quirky, fun and totally well Fun!
Cally73
Jun 26, 2014 Cally73 rated it liked it
I'd almost give it 3 1/2 stars. Funny and madcap with some quite sweet moments. Unfortunately some of the shenanigans tended to get more irritating than amusing.
Drianne
Jan 02, 2011 Drianne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, gay, fiction, m-m
This charming novel, set in the English countryside, follows the (mis)adventures of a gay couple who buy an estate in a small English village, shaken to its very foundations by their arrival, which brings with it (temporally, if not causally) a whole host of upheavals. Farcical at points, but mostly gently amusing, the novel suffered at points from having a bit too much in the way of eccentric characters, not to mention a few horrible stereotypes wandering around, but it also had some very reada ...more
Michael Armijo
This was like reading a slate for a situation comedy...

While I enjoyed the book to a certain extent it didn't win me over. I read William Corlett's other book (NOW AND THEN) which is a much better book (5 Stars). This is just 'ok'. I wouldn't run out & recommend it very strongly. There were a bit too many characters for my liking. It was a cute concept of a gossip-ridden little village somewhere in England--which seems rather realistic (in parts). Enjoy...if you need to.
Dean Puretz
well done but extremely busy. if you put it down you may forget your way by the time you return.
Sebastian
Jun 01, 2012 Sebastian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A light-hearted read, with a wry twist to the plot. Not great literature, but a gem in its own narrow niche. Fun, quirky, romantic w/o sappy, overblown sex. Wish there were a whole lot more like it. There are some laugh-out-loud images here. A tale of a nice gay couple who seem, at the end, to be more "normal" than the quaint English countryside around them. This would make a delightful, light, comedic movie.
Lisa Arreola
So charming & funny!
Niko
Niko marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2016
Oliver
Oliver marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Wolf Ostheeren
Wolf Ostheeren marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
Peter Hellström
Peter Hellström marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2016
Rohit
Rohit marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2016
Ian
Ian marked it as to-read
May 12, 2016
EloquentMyDear
EloquentMyDear marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Enrico Varrone
Enrico Varrone marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
William Corlett (8 October 1938 - 16 August 2005), was an English children's writer, best known for his quartet of novels, The Magician's House, published between 1990 and 1992.

Corlett was born in Darlington, County Durham. He was educated at Fettes College, Edinburgh, then trained as an actor at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art. He worked as an actor while embarking on a literary career during t
More about William Corlett...