Start by marking “Poison Apple #1: The Dead End” as Want to Read:
Poison Apple #1: The Dead End

Poison Apple #1: The Dead End (Poison Apple #1)

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  2,077 ratings  ·  117 reviews
Poison Apple Books: Thrilling. Bone-chilling. These books have bite! Casey Slater can't believe her bad luck. It's the summer before seventh grade, and instead of the perfect vacation she'd planned with her best friend, Casey is in a remote country town, where her parents are restoring an old, creaky, creepy house. Worst of all, everyone else in town thinks the old house i ...more
Published July 1st 2011 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Poison Apple #1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Poison Apple #1

Sabrina
Poison Apple is a more spookier and paranormal version of the Candy Apple series. I never read any Poison Apple book except this one. And I was scared! I know i know its a book how can you?

This book i finished within a day or two. I could NOT put it down! Casey Slater is just an average seventh grader wanting to have a great summer vacation with her best friend. But her parents take her to an unforgetable vacation.

Her and her parents drive down to a house that they will be staying in for the s
Jami Lowe
Bomb! stupid pre-teen idiocy! read the beginning, skimmed the middle and read the end. this is a thriller, horror story made for 12 - 16 yr olds. the first 3 pages in did frighten me. the writer does a very good job wording and showing scary stuff. the next 3 pages in; i had to sit through a 12 yr old thinking her parents where the stupidest people on the planet and believing her friend had all the answers. i know teenagers feel this way anyway, but do authors have to promote it? skimming throug ...more
Natalie
Casey gets ready to have a fun summer with Jillian but her plans are cancelled by her parents because they bought a haunted house in New Hampshire.Casey then goes through a lot of things that she couldn't really explain until she finds a diary written by Millie who died in a steamer trunk.Both Millie and Casey have dreams that connect to the other's situation.Millie dreams about a fire happening in Casey's time and Casey dreams of playing hide-and-seek in Millie's time.It ends up that the things ...more
Amy (Books, College, and Other Random Things)
The Dead End by Mimi McCoy is a book in the Poison Apple series, a paranormal version of the Candy Apple series.

Casey plans to spend her whole summer with her friend, Jillian. They plan to go shopping, spend time at the beach, and get boyfriends. Casey’s parents have different plans. They bought a real fixer-upper home in New Hampshire and plan to spend the whole summer there. Casey is really bummed.

She won’t be able to spend her summer as planned and her parents are hardly sympathetic.
Casey q
NATUI
I just read this book together with my nine year old daughter. We were both scared, and the twists and turns of the book kept us snuggled up on the bed. I did not think this book would be so creepy, and I enjoyed it very much. My daughter loved it so much that she reread it a second time this weekend, and now she's convinced her brother to read it as a perfect get-ready-for-Halloween book. We're looking forward to reading more of this series.
Jenn Dattilo Watts
So this was another book my daughter wanted me to read. I've discovered that I unfortunately have difficulty really getting into most middle grade books (Harry Potter was an exception, but it also qualifies as YA.) This wasn't bad, but it didn't make me interested until about half-way through. I've got one other Poison Apple book to read, but I can see why the series would appeal to middle-readers. It's just scary enough to get youngsters nervous, but not really scare the bejesus out of them. Th ...more
Yasmin
Jun 10, 2010 Yasmin rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Recommended to Yasmin by: ME
An awesome book about a girl that discovers a ghost that lives in her summer house. I love love loved it!!! To all of my friends and classmates out there you have to read this book! It chills your bones. This is like my trip to Bangladesh. I thought it would be boring but I had an awesome time! I rode a horse, fell off and brige, played with a chicken, and meet a bull.

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ramya A.
Amazing! These books are awesome and I think that they are kind of scary. It all just seems so real! I think that this book gives a cliffhanger like every GOOD book! I love this book and I would definitely recommend these books!!!
Rusty
I try to read books that the young in our family might read. This is one of them. It's a very good ghost story. While the story is well written it may leave very young sensitive readers with a fear of ghosts. Casey, the protagonist, is a sensitive, imaginative twelve-year-old. When her parents buy a summer house that they plan to renovate, miles and miles from New York, her plans for the summer are crushed. As she moons about what she might have been doing at home, strange things begin to occur. ...more
Suzanne
For being a younger readers book I really enjoyed this. It didn't scare me but it did give me a little chill.
Kayla
the girl goes to a haunted house for summer vacation will she last any longer ??????
Samantha
May 08, 2013 Samantha marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: samantha
How do you read this
Crys (The Hodgenator)
I love a good ghost story, who doesn't, and Mimi McCoy really delivers in this novel. It offers its readers just enough spooktascular ghost story without being over-whelming or nightmarish.

In this novel, Casey Slater is planning to have the best summer of her life! That is until her parents decide to have another plans in the guise of a creepy old fixer-upper they have purchased in Stillness, New Hampshire. But don't let the town's name fool you, this house is anything but still.

While Casey is
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Theresa L. Stowell for TeensReadToo.com

Casey Slater and her best friend, Jillian Morton, have their whole summer planned out, and it is going to be the best summer of their lives.

So, when Casey's parents tell her that they have purchased a summer house in Stillness, New Hampshire, far away from their home in Manhattan, she is devastated. What will she do? When they refuse to let her spend the summer at Jillian's house, she must accept that her plans will change.

The old farmhouse in S
Cemeread
Casey Slater and her best friend Jillian have plans for a great summer when Casey's parents announce they bought a summer house in New Hampshire. Casey is ok with a vacation away from the city until she finds out her parents plan on living in New Hampshire the entire summer!

Soon after school is out Casey's parents pack up the car and a rental van and off they go to Stillness, N.H. This town is appropriately named because there is nothing going on in Stillness. There isn't even a real grocery st
Katie Fitzgerald
I don't tend to read scary books, but there was something appealing about the Poison Apple concept that made me pick up this book. I'm glad I did, too, because it was a really entertaining, suspenseful, and fast-paced read just perfect for grades 5 to 8. I was uncertain for much of the book whether the supernatural events Casey experienced were going to turn out to have a logical explanation or not. I kept half-expecting a Scooby-Doo-esque outcome, where the meddling kids pull the sheet off the ...more
Cyndi
So I challenged my 4th grade students to read 40 books this year--and they challenged me right back to read 40 KID books, too. I decided to let them have a hand in picking some of the books I read for my side of the challenge. This one was recommended by 3 girls. I have to say--it was kind of fun to read. It reminded me a lot of some of the mystery books I read as a kid. Now--on to their next selection for me...
Chelsea
Name: The Dead End
Author: Mimi McCoy
Genre: series, spooky, supernatural, quest
Age recommendation: years 10-13
Rating: 4-5
Personal comment: Love the book, so spooky!

When 12year Casey moves into a creepy house she is convinced that the house is haunted, if only her parents would believe her!
Join Casey in a spine-chilling book filled with DEAD amazing activity!
Review written by C. H.
Emma
The Dead End was actually really scary in my opinion! I really enjoyed reading it, and it made me really enjoy the series. It was one of the scarier stories that they have published, so I really enjoyed it. Although the book is meant for 4th-5th grade students, I still think that it was really good. I really do enjoy a good scary story, even if it is not considered a scary story by most.
Jan
Casey is afraid of pretty much everything. She believes every scary story that she hears. So when her family moves to their new home in the country, Casey is convinced that it is haunted. Afterall, the local folks say it is. Her parents are less than helpful and think that its just her overactive imagination. But this time Casey is right. There is a ghost. Who will believe her?

This was a really good book for its type. No it is not great literature, but it is not intended to be. It is suspenseful
Rianna
I'm surprised how this book ended but not in a bad way. I really thought the story was good. Casey moves into an old house and she starts to notice very odd things going on around the house. From there, the story gets better and better. I did think the story was creative and just the right amount of scary.
Can't wait to read book 2 of the Poison Apple series!
Rosa
So I saw this on the shelf and thought the cover was really cute. I was expecting it to be a slightly younger Monster High...I was very wrong, lol. Now I am not the biggest fraidy cat in the world but I do occasionally get creeped out, particularly at night. Well this book totally gave me the heebie jeebies. I ended up having to stay up to read something silly, lol.

I can't tell if the series focuses on the same group of friends or a school but I don't think it focuses on the same girl. This is
Hannah Miller
Wonderful book! Its details make it hard to put the book down. There is friendship, a teensy bit of romance, mystery, and spookiness. It is an amazing book! You will find yourself both shivering and smiling throughout the book. A must-read, even for teens!
Winter
school's almost over and the 12 year old Casey Salter planned a perfectly awesome summer with her BFF,Jillian.But....her parents had something ELSE in mind.They rented an OLD,BORING,DULL,CREEPY house in New Hampshire for the WHOLE summer.Casey becomes terrified watching her summer plans wash down the drain. When they arrive at the house,Casey ain't so sure about this house haunted house .Yep.I did say haunted.some people EVERYONE in town believes it,Casey soon thinks KNOWS it too.Someone scream ...more
Melissa
Jacquelyn
I just love this book
Sabiha Bashir
Lisa Houston
Super ghost story for fourth and fifth graders. I think there's a balance between modern times and the old times that students will be intrigued.
Jazzy
I really loved reading this book. It was very interesting and enjoyable. Would recommend to people who like mysteries! (:
Deborah
Good ghost story - sometimes the things we are most afraid of actually save us. Didn't think I would like it but I did.
Book Discussions ...: The Dead End 1 4 Mar 17, 2013 01:43PM
  • Now You See Me ... (Poison Apple #4)
  • Miss Fortune (Poison Apple #3)
  • Curiosity Killed the Cat (Poison Apple #7)
  • Midnight Howl (Poison Apple #5)
  • This Totally Bites! (Poison Apple #2)
  • The Ghoul Next Door (Poison Apple #9)
  • The Ghost Of Christmas Past (Poison Apple #10)
  • Accidentally Fabulous (Accidentally, #1; Candy Apple #12)
  • Confessions of a Bitter Secret Santa (Candy Apple #13)
  • Mean Ghouls (Rotten Apple #1)
  • Making Waves (Candy Apple #10)
  • Callie For President (Candy Apple #9)
  • The Sweetheart Deal (Candy Apple Special Edition, #1)
  • Re-Vamped! (My Sister the Vampire, #3)
  • Miss Popularity (Miss Popularity #1; Candy Apple #3)
  • Juicy Gossip (Candy Apple #19)
Mimi McCoy was a cheerleader the same year that Halley's Comet was last seen, an accomplishment she attributes to cosmic fortune, since she never made the team again. Ms. McCoy has since traded in her pompoms for a pen and now lives in New York City.
More about Mimi McCoy...

Poison Apple (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • This Totally Bites! (Poison Apple #2)
  • Miss Fortune (Poison Apple #3)
  • Now You See Me ... (Poison Apple #4)
  • Midnight Howl (Poison Apple #5)
  • Her Evil Twin (Poison Apple #6)
  • Curiosity Killed the Cat (Poison Apple #7)
  • At First Bite (Poison Apple #8)
  • The Ghoul Next Door (Poison Apple #9)
  • The Ghost Of Christmas Past (Poison Apple #10)
  • The Green-Eyed Monster (Poison Apple #11)
The Babysitting Wars (Candy Apple #6) The Accidental Cheerleader (Candy Apple #1) Her Evil Twin (Poison Apple #6) Star-Crossed (Candy Apple #15) Candy Apple Book Set