Start by marking “The Myth of the Garage: And Other Minor Surprises” as Want to Read:
The Myth of the Garage: And Other Minor Surprises

The Myth of the Garage: And Other Minor Surprises

3.67  ·  Rating Details  ·  810 Ratings  ·  85 Reviews
From Chip and Dan Heath, the bestselling authors of Switch and Made to Stick, comes The Myth of the Garage: And Other Minor Surprises, a collection of the authors' best columns for Fast Company magazine-16 pieces in all, plus a previously unpublished piece entitled "The Future Fails Again." In Myth, the Heath brothers tackle some of the most (and least) important issues in ...more
ebook
Published November 1st 2011 by Crown Publishing Group (NY) (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Myth of the Garage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Myth of the Garage

Jim
Aug 23, 2013 Jim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Free, well written & read - what more do you want? It's funny, quick, & thought provoking, too. You want more? Then spend a few minutes listening to it. Seriously, if you listen to audio books of any genre, you need to give this one a try & you'll find something worthwhile.

There were over a dozen different segments, each under 10 minutes long, the best of their columns. They had a lot of good information & a dry sense of humor that drew me in, no matter what the subject & the
Alysia
Jan 02, 2013 Alysia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
This is a collection of their favorite columns they wrote for Fast Company Magazine from 2007 to 2011.
I have to say, I had no idea what I was getting. Another "how to" book? A book about someone's so called deep intellectual thoughts on the way things should be? Nope.
I really liked this audio book.
This was a "what you need to make your business grow and be successful" though common sense and mostly over looked philosophies. Not really philosophies but thoughtful business practices. Dan Heath an
Rolando Gill
Nov 20, 2011 Rolando Gill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great collection of essays! I have read the other two books by the Heath brother and really enjoyed them. I regularly work on making Switch part of my daily life by integrating the language and the tactics in order to make a change. This collection of articles gave me a lot to think about, I had to stop a couple of times and add tasks to my to do list and even made notes in Evernote to make sure I didn't forget ideas I got from these great articles. I highly recommend this book. Get it, Read it!
Gretchen
Aug 25, 2012 Gretchen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2012
A good collection of the Heath brothers' articles from Fast Company. If you enjoyed Made to Stick, or Switch, you will likely enjoy this as well. I like their writing style and tone. However, I ran into my usual issue with these sorts of books.....if you are going to publish an anthology, can you do something with it? There is nothing new other than 1 article. Could the authors have commented on the articles now that time had passed? Maybe expand on a few concepts, or show how their opinions may ...more
Kristie J.
Dec 14, 2011 Kristie J. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Eye-opening and thought-provoking collection of essays written in a fun-to-read style. I'll definitely read more from Chip and Dan Heath. My favorite essays were:

"The Horror of Mutual Funds" (after reading this, I immediately looked at my 401k and changed my future investments to an index fund);

"From the Annals of Unlikely: Must-See Compliance Videos" (this inspired me to think of ways to improve our boring safety meetings at work);

"The Curse of Incentives" (I love stories about how upper
Barry Davis
Feb 16, 2016 Barry Davis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
...and Other Minor Surprises, is actually a collection of Fast Company articles written between 2007 and 2011 by the authors of Made to Stick and Switch, offered as a free E-Book through Amazon. Eminently readable and chock full of insights, the title comes from the myth that “Steves” Job and Wozniak founded Apple in a garage. Wrong, says the Heath brothers, they had jobs at Hewlett-Packard when the magic started.

I love the way these guys write. Insightful, humorous (they note that they write w
Sofia
Jul 22, 2013 Sofia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a free audiobook download. I'm so glad I got it because it was concise, engaging, informative, and with real-life applications from most of the lessons. My mom loves NPR and this has that vibe--plus, it was free. I'll definitely be sharing this with others. I can't recommend the Heath brothers enough for their thoughtful and insightful analyses; they're sense of humor is a nice touch too.
Becky
Jun 02, 2013 Becky rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a really interesting collection of previously published web articles. While the focus was on business, the principals were always applicable to life on a larger scale. It would be an excellent book club pick. It was a quick, interesting read with lots of discussion possibilities.
Jeff
Apr 28, 2012 Jeff rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-book-list
A collection of Fast Company articles from the Heath Brothers. This book was okay. Made to Stick, their first book, is a must-read. Some take-aways:

* We are salad people in the future and Cheetos people in the present.

* In her book, the How of Happiness, author Sonja Lyubormiski describes a dozen scientifically proven strategies to make yourself happier. At the top of the list is expressing gratitude.

* In one particular study, researchers asked a group of people to make a list, once a week for
Suman
Aug 06, 2012 Suman rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
The adage "you get what you pay for" applies to this free collection of articles. Chip and David Heath, the Brothers Business-writing, have recycled some old Fast Company articles purporting to disabuse us of our myths about business. The title article tells us that the garage start-up is a myth; that really Jobs worked at Atari before founding Apple (the now dominant technology company that supplanted one started by this previous unemployed college dropout), and the founders of youtube (you kno ...more
Ben Langleben
May 17, 2015 Ben Langleben rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-business
A collection of very short articles on different topics, each with a central tenet or insight.

Sticky ideas are sold on feelings, not facts

Give recognition of performance via positive feedback from customers. Remove obstacles to providing praise.

Focus on what you're grateful for and you'll be happier and healthier.

People pay to be controlled. The piggy bank is a security system for when you are the burglar.

Employees will look out for comms via short engaging videos.

A good innovation story c
grundoon
Jul 25, 2015 grundoon rated it liked it
One supposes a hand-picked collection is a "best of", yet if so, I'm not seeing great reason for seeking them out here. Pleasant enough writing and reasonably engaging (if awfully familiar, at least for me) random topics, as depth-free as a magazine column promises. I'd swear the opener is included solely to lend its title to the published collection, for it's otherwise a shoddy and inauspicious introduction.
Huckleberry
Dec 09, 2014 Huckleberry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a collection of 17 articles from Dan and Chip Heath's magazine articles in Fast Company.

They are well written, concise and thought provoking. Some of these articles convey enough in the short two pages to make you say "aha, I could take that approach" to others that just make you think.

Enjoyable, easy and interesting to read, yet with practical, useable ideas.
Jason
May 20, 2012 Jason rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
These columns - the best of the Heath brothers from Fast Company magazine - are fast, fun reads. There are gems of insight here for anyone who wants to improve his or her communication chops. I laughed at loud when they took a jab at political marketing campaigns that describe how many times a certain amount of something would circle the planet ("Because if there's one thing people have a keen intuition about, it's the earth's circumference").

They also reserve a special contempt for marketers wh
John Bechtold
If you enjoyed Made to Stick and Switch then you will enjoy this collection of articles by Chip and Dan Heath. They cover a wide variety of topics with their typical wit and wisdom.
The short articles make it a quick read but enjoyable.
Ranjan Atreya
Jun 22, 2016 Ranjan Atreya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I started this book waaaaaaay back in the day and got around to finishing it now. I wish I hadn't taken so much time. In simple, crisp and surprisingly funny articles, there are some amazing insights in this book that are a must read.
Ben Vogel
Nov 07, 2014 Ben Vogel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A compilation of many short articles into a small book. Most all of the pieces have some very insightful observations and recommendations about human behavior, sociology, and business. The price is right and commitment is small.
Leah Wescott
Feb 05, 2014 Leah Wescott rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Short nuggets of leadership wisdom. It's perfect at the end of a long day when I just need something light -- but smart. It makes theory and scholarly findings conversational so I have down-to-earth anecdotes to share when trying to make a case for good practice. I approve of this message.
Darrell
Apr 27, 2015 Darrell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A collection of fun little short articles. Each article is written in "Malcom Gladwell" style of having a idea that you dissect using real life examples. Free for kindle. Great little read.
Josh Hunt
Dec 07, 2014 Josh Hunt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!

Short interesting points with practical application. Great read. I loved all three of their other books and this did not disappoint.
Scott Wozniak
Aug 22, 2014 Scott Wozniak rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a collection of columns written by Chip and Dan Heath. It's short and it's not focused on a single theme. And it's brilliant. The ideas are fascinating and the writing is clever, concise, and creative.
Lisa
That's it?

Quite an unimpressive book. A quick read if you are looking to fill some time, but not much value here.
Ying Ying
Mar 06, 2015 Ying Ying rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book filled with not only stories, but truly interesting stories. The one I liked the most is the one on the cover: the myth of the garage.
Sam Motes
Jan 31, 2016 Sam Motes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book carries on the ideas of the Author's ideas from their books "Switch" and "Made to Stick" in building great stories to convey ideas. Reads like several newspaper articles on versus topics with the strongest being the one the title is derived from focusing on how our mythical creation stories for many companies over well over blown to build an epic vision. In that article they point out that though Apple started in a garage, Jobs honed skills at Atari and Wozniak was a budding engineer at ...more
Ram
Jun 10, 2016 Ram rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thought provoking articles. Like their other books, their thoughts are from a different perspective and angle that is very interesting. This book was a quick read though.
Karen Catlin
Audio Book. A brief, insightful collection of the authors' columns from Fast Company.
Eva
Mar 09, 2014 Eva rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars, a neat, fast read. I'd just heard a lot of this content elsewhere.
Michael Tarpinian
Fabulous insights. These brothers are great.
Angie Li
Dec 18, 2014 Angie Li rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quick, insightful and enjoyable read.
Kim
When I thought that reading business magazines might make a difference in my budding accounting career in the 1990's, I subscribed to Fast Company for a bit. This free e-book is a collection of Dan Chip Heath's short articles that have appeared in that magazine over the past few years. It was a very quick read but still provided some good thoughts and reminders on how the business world really works. And hey, it was a completely free download. Can you really go wrong with a book that is free?
  • Know What You Don't Know: How Great Leaders Prevent Problems Before They Happen
  • Leading at a Higher Level: Blanchard on Leadership and Creating High Performing Organizations
  • The Truth about Getting the Best from People (Truth about)
  • Lead to Succeed and You Won't Manage to Fail
  • Read This Before Our Next Meeting
  • The Truth About the New Rules of Business Writing (Truth About Series)
  • Disrupt: Think the Unthinkable to Spark Transformation in Your Business
  • Tales of the Revolution:  True Stories of People who are Poking the Box and Making a Difference
  • Ultimate Leadership: Winning Execution Strategies for Your Situation
  • Making Strategy Work: Leading Effective Execution and Change
  • A Voice in the Box
  • The Truth About Managing People...And Nothing But the Truth
  • Presentations in Action: 80 Memorable Presentation Lessons from the Masters
  • Car Guys vs. Bean Counters: The Battle for the Soul of American Business
  • The Personal Credibility Factor: How to Get It, Keep It, and Get It Back (If You've Lost It)
  • UnSelling: Sell Less ... To Win More
  • Team Secrets Of The Navy Seals: The Elite Military Force's Leadership Principles For Business
  • Why Leadership Sucks: Fundamentals of Level 5 Leadership and Servant Leadership
Chip Heath is the professor of Organizational Behavior in the Graduate School of Business at Stanford University.
He received his B.S. degree in Industrial Engineering from Texas A&M University and his Ph.D. in Psychology from Stanford.

He co-wrote a book titled Switch How to Change Things When Change Is Hard with his brother Dan Heath.
More about Chip Heath...

“Grit is not synonymous with hard work. It involves a certain single-mindedness. An ungritty prison inmate will mount a daring new escape attempt every month, but a gritty prison inmate will tunnel his way out one spoonful of concrete at a time. Grit” 1 likes
“he has announced an even tougher commitment device: Now he’ll take four months of vacation per year. This would appear to commit him to becoming French.” 0 likes