The Myth of the Garage: And Other Minor Surprises

The Myth of the Garage: And Other Minor Surprises

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  437 ratings  ·  68 reviews
From Chip and Dan Heath, the bestselling authors of Switch and Made to Stick, comes The Myth of the Garage: And Other Minor Surprises, a collection of the authors' best columns for Fast Company magazine-16 pieces in all, plus a previously unpublished piece entitled "The Future Fails Again." In Myth, the Heath brothers tackle some of the most (and least) important issues in...more
ebook
Published November 1st 2011 by Crown Publishing Group (NY) (first published January 1st 2011)

Jim
Free, well written & read - what more do you want? It's funny, quick, & thought provoking, too. You want more? Then spend a few minutes listening to it. Seriously, if you listen to audio books of any genre, you need to give this one a try & you'll find something worthwhile.

There were over a dozen different segments, each under 10 minutes long, the best of their columns. They had a lot of good information & a dry sense of humor that drew me in, no matter what the subject & the...more
Rolando Gill
Great collection of essays! I have read the other two books by the Heath brother and really enjoyed them. I regularly work on making Switch part of my daily life by integrating the language and the tactics in order to make a change. This collection of articles gave me a lot to think about, I had to stop a couple of times and add tasks to my to do list and even made notes in Evernote to make sure I didn't forget ideas I got from these great articles. I highly recommend this book. Get it, Read it!
Alysia
This is a collection of their favorite columns they wrote for Fast Company Magazine from 2007 to 2011.
I have to say, I had no idea what I was getting. Another "how to" book? A book about someone's so called deep intellectual thoughts on the way things should be? Nope.
I really liked this audio book.
This was a "what you need to make your business grow and be successful" though common sense and mostly over looked philosophies. Not really philosophies but thoughtful business practices. Dan Heath an...more
Gretchen
A good collection of the Heath brothers' articles from Fast Company. If you enjoyed Made to Stick, or Switch, you will likely enjoy this as well. I like their writing style and tone. However, I ran into my usual issue with these sorts of books.....if you are going to publish an anthology, can you do something with it? There is nothing new other than 1 article. Could the authors have commented on the articles now that time had passed? Maybe expand on a few concepts, or show how their opinions may...more
Kristie J.
Eye-opening and thought-provoking collection of essays written in a fun-to-read style. I'll definitely read more from Chip and Dan Heath. My favorite essays were:

"The Horror of Mutual Funds" (after reading this, I immediately looked at my 401k and changed my future investments to an index fund);

"From the Annals of Unlikely: Must-See Compliance Videos" (this inspired me to think of ways to improve our boring safety meetings at work);

"The Curse of Incentives" (I love stories about how upper...more
Sofia
This was a free audiobook download. I'm so glad I got it because it was concise, engaging, informative, and with real-life applications from most of the lessons. My mom loves NPR and this has that vibe--plus, it was free. I'll definitely be sharing this with others. I can't recommend the Heath brothers enough for their thoughtful and insightful analyses; they're sense of humor is a nice touch too.
Becky
This was a really interesting collection of previously published web articles. While the focus was on business, the principals were always applicable to life on a larger scale. It would be an excellent book club pick. It was a quick, interesting read with lots of discussion possibilities.
Jeff
A collection of Fast Company articles from the Heath Brothers. This book was okay. Made to Stick, their first book, is a must-read. Some take-aways:

* We are salad people in the future and Cheetos people in the present.

* In her book, the How of Happiness, author Sonja Lyubormiski describes a dozen scientifically proven strategies to make yourself happier. At the top of the list is expressing gratitude.

* In one particular study, researchers asked a group of people to make a list, once a week for...more
Suman
The adage "you get what you pay for" applies to this free collection of articles. Chip and David Heath, the Brothers Business-writing, have recycled some old Fast Company articles purporting to disabuse us of our myths about business. The title article tells us that the garage start-up is a myth; that really Jobs worked at Atari before founding Apple (the now dominant technology company that supplanted one started by this previous unemployed college dropout), and the founders of youtube (you kno...more
Jason
These columns - the best of the Heath brothers from Fast Company magazine - are fast, fun reads. There are gems of insight here for anyone who wants to improve his or her communication chops. I laughed at loud when they took a jab at political marketing campaigns that describe how many times a certain amount of something would circle the planet ("Because if there's one thing people have a keen intuition about, it's the earth's circumference").

They also reserve a special contempt for marketers wh...more
Leah Wescott
Short nuggets of leadership wisdom. It's perfect at the end of a long day when I just need something light -- but smart. It makes theory and scholarly findings conversational so I have down-to-earth anecdotes to share when trying to make a case for good practice. I approve of this message.
Sam Motes
The book carries on the ideas of the Author's ideas from their books "Switch" and "Made to Stick" in building great stories to convey ideas. Reads like several newspaper articles on versus topics with the strongest being the one the title is derived from focusing on how our mythical creation stories for many companies over well over blown to build an epic vision. In that article they point out that though Apple started in a garage, Jobs honed skills at Atari and Wozniak was a budding engineer at...more
Karen
Audio Book. A brief, insightful collection of the authors' columns from Fast Company.
Eva
3.5 stars, a neat, fast read. I'd just heard a lot of this content elsewhere.
Kim
When I thought that reading business magazines might make a difference in my budding accounting career in the 1990's, I subscribed to Fast Company for a bit. This free e-book is a collection of Dan Chip Heath's short articles that have appeared in that magazine over the past few years. It was a very quick read but still provided some good thoughts and reminders on how the business world really works. And hey, it was a completely free download. Can you really go wrong with a book that is free?
Ken Montville
Overall it was a quick and easy read with some interesting perspective.

The book is a compilation of articles from many years ago but they still pack a punch written in the breezy and conversational style of Dan and Chip Heath. You would think, from their writing style, that it's all backed up by reputable studies and serious research.

This was actually a free Kindle eBook so I couldn't resist. Even free, though, it doesn't skimp on the quality of the work and the writing.
Matt Maples
I enjoyed the articles very much, but I'm not a huge fan of the short choppy approach to books. I prefer a more detailed deep report on a particular subject in the books that I read, and this book was a collection of editorials previously written by Chip and Dan Heath. I did like the material however, and I plan to read Switch very soon. Further, because this book is free and extremely short it is worth spending a couple of hours reading it to wet your appitite.
Matt Maples
Paul
I enjoyed Switch, so I figured a collection if short pieces for free was a good bet. Some were good, some were not, but it was quick and enjoyable enough. The lack of any real depth is a downside though.

One stood out negatively - "The Future Fails Again" was published here for the first time, and I suspect it's because no one else wanted it.

Ultimately, it's free and fast, so if you're interested, go for it.
KyBunnies
Nov 11, 2011 KyBunnies rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: NO ONE!
Recommended to KyBunnies by: amazon.com
This is not an actually book. This is short news articles. There were several articles I do not know how many because I did not count them. This is not worth reading or downloading. This is a free book in the Kindle Store. Sorry to the authors but this is a totally stupid book. If someone actually wanted to read any of the articles in this book they can easily book look up through google.com
Georgia
I didn't know what to expect in this book as it was free! The book is great, it is a selection of common myths, as well as an expected array of subjects that society and businesses grapple with, such as education, inventions and motivations.

I highly recommend it to assist in your thinking, and grappling with your own issues in work and family.

This is book number 22 for my year end goal of 52!
Rob
I love these guys. I will read anything they write; because it's so digestible and chock full of practical wisdom that can be applied to every aspect of life. I especially like that this reprint of magazine articles was published in as a free e-book; I can't stand buying a new book from a famous author to then discover that it's nothing more than a collection of articles I've already read.
Venkatesh-Prasad
A consolidation of columns by Heath brothers. Ideal for a plane ride.

As for the contents, it has some real gems such as "why don't companies provide channels for customers to provide praise?" and explores some real good questions "what if talent is more like an orchid, thriving in certain environments and dying in others?"
Drew Hawkins
Great stories on the false assumptions of "overnight successes." Shows that some of the greatest entreprenuers were trained in a traditional job setting. At least, that's the first chapter of the book.

This book is a collection of short essays and columns. Covers a wide gambit of topics. Easily digestible. Quick read.
Vaughn
Most of the book's content came from articles freely available at FastCompany.com. I especially enjoyed the the following two articles:
- How to communicate with numbers in a way that changes decisions (“The Gripping Statistic”)
- Thinking inside the box

Aside from those, I wasn't overly impressed with this book.
Andres
Enjoyable read. They gave it away for free and I liked the tales.

Rating system:
1. Even under penalty of torture I would never read again.
2. Would require coersion for me to read again.
3. Enjoyed, probably won't read again.
4. Would gladly read again.
5. Would purchase full price to read on a plane.
I'm giving this 5 stars for what it is: a free ebook compilation of magazine columns. They're short and snappy and thought-provoking. I'm not sure they should be taken as gospel, but as a starting point for thinking about ways to approach business or organizational practice, I think they're terrific.
James Bradley
Great grouping of short pieces. Authors have a funny way of presenting ideas. I like these two brothers writing style.
Carrie Mallon
I am usually not a fan of books that are a collection of essays but I actually enjoyed this one and found it to be thought provoking. Surely the Heath brothers don't have all of the answers but they do make some valid points and they present them in a pleasant to read format.
Adamcikb
A fun, easy read and good for what is. Since it is just a compilation of brief essays, you can read it a few minutes at a stretch. Basically a series of thought-provoking, myth-busting narratives addressing some commonly held ideas about business and finance.
  • Read This Before Our Next Meeting
  • Leading at a Higher Level: Blanchard on Leadership and Creating High Performing Organizations
  • Disrupt: Think the Unthinkable to Spark Transformation in Your Business
  • In the Line of Fire: How to Handle Tough Questions...When It Counts
  • The Truth About Managing People...And Nothing But the Truth
  • Beer Is Proof God Loves Us: The Craft, Culture, and Ethos of Brewing, Portable Documents
  • Zarrella's Hierarchy of Contagiousness: The Science, Design, and Engineering of Contagious Ideas
  • Five Minutes on Mondays: Finding Unexpected Purpose, Peace, and Fulfillment at Work
  • The Lazy Project Manager: How to be Twice as Productive and Still Leave the Office Early
  • Car Guys vs. Bean Counters: The Battle for the Soul of American Business
  • Tales of the Revolution:  True Stories of People who are Poking the Box and Making a Difference
  • Wired to Care: How Companies Prosper When They Create Widespread Empathy
  • The 7-Day Doubt Diet
  • The On-Purpose Person: Making Your Life Make Sense
  • How to Argue: Powerfully, Persuasively, Positively
  • The Rules of Work: The Unspoken Truth about Getting Ahead in Business
  • Saving for Retirement without Living Like a Pauper or Winning the Lottery
  • Winners Never Cheat: Even in Difficult Times
Chip Heath is the professor of Organizational Behavior in the Graduate School of Business at Stanford University.
He received his B.S. degree in Industrial Engineering from Texas A&M University and his Ph.D. in Psychology from Stanford.

He co-wrote a book titled Switch How to Change Things When Change Is Hard with his brother Dan Heath.
More about Chip Heath...
Made to Stick: Why Some Ideas Survive and Others Die Switch: How to Change Things When Change Is Hard Decisive: How to Make Better Choices in Life and Work Made to Stick (Epilogue): Why Some Ideas Survive and Others Die Made to Stick (Chapter 4: Credible): Why Some Ideas Survive and Others Die

“Grit is not synonymous with hard work. It involves a certain single-mindedness. An ungritty prison inmate will mount a daring new escape attempt every month, but a gritty prison inmate will tunnel his way out one spoonful of concrete at a time. Grit” 1 likes
“We are fighting a war on load times.” 0 likes