Start by marking “Trading Poisons” as Want to Read:
Trading Poisons

Trading Poisons

After years of settling into the comfortable family life she always wanted, Jorie Asher made a decision to improve her physical health and well-being. She thought her life would be perfect if she no longer had to struggle with her weight. Instead, Jorie discovered how ill-prepared she was to face the anguish of her past, and the resulting truth of life in a body she ...more
Published January 11th 2013 by FriesenPress (first published January 10th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Trading Poisons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trading Poisons

Henry Le Nav
Mar 05, 2013 Henry Le Nav rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Several reviews mentioned self help. I would not describe this book as self help, to me it is a novel but does go into a great deal of description on food and alcohol addiction and the transference of addictions. Lepire does a great job of building the protagonist's character and showing how she slips from one addiction to another. I actually learned a lot about addiction from this book and how some things that one would not normally think of as addictions really are.
Rosie
Feb 04, 2013 Rosie rated it really liked it
This book was about the subject of addictions.....not just one but several and how they change and how one person overcame. It follows Jorie as she makes important decisions in her life. Some she regrets and some not. I read this in two settings. At 200 pages it could be a one setting read.
Support out local authors and enjoy a good book at the same time.
Simon Wheeler
Feb 23, 2013 Simon Wheeler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A story about not just recovering from addictions but tackling the even more difficult problem - the causes.

Jori is an ordinary woman whose ordinary life creeps gradually, almost without her being aware, into chaos. How does her life reach such depths, unnoticed, until it's too late? Her life will only truly start anew when she recognises not only that she has an addiction and she has to do something about it, but also face up to the issues in her life which have caused it to get out of control.
Leeann Smith
Feb 09, 2013 Leeann Smith rated it it was amazing
Really great book by a fellow self-published author. Angel Lepire takes the reader into the world of addiction starting with something most people might not first think of, food addiction. I found myself loving the main character and identifying with her in many ways. I couldn't put the book down as eventhough there were times I wanted to take her by the shoulders and shake her, I still found myself pulling for her to have a happy ending. Although the book surprisingly ended differently than I ...more
Scott Collins
Apr 21, 2013 Scott Collins rated it it was amazing
I must confess that while I still am not a big fan of the protagonist in this book, I really enjoyed the story. Cheating is not something I have any tolerance for and so I while I was never able to reach the point that I could overlook that transgression, I did find myself rooting for her recovery. The insights into addiction were moving as were her efforts to right the wrongs she'd done. Very well written and I will absolutely be keeping my eye out for additional novels from this author.
Debra Ann Miller
Feb 25, 2013 Debra Ann Miller rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Wow! I read this book because it was recommended to me. I don't normally read self-help books but I found myself very quickly submerged into Jori's world of addiction. Angel's writing is amazing and her message powerful. It doesn't get any more real than this! I would definitely recommend reading "Trading poisons!"
Megan McCooey
May 03, 2013 Megan McCooey rated it really liked it
Hmmm.... so I wonder if it is a coincidence that so many of the books I have reviewed recently, I have found myself relating to? While I can't relate specifically with Jorie (I have never suffered from overeating, substance abuse, or infidelity), I have been on the other end. I have been one of the "victims" in what people love to refer to as "victimless behaviors" ie. addiction/substance abuse and let me tell you, it is NOT pretty. Most people don't want to admit they have a problem and if they ...more
L.F. Falconer
Jun 18, 2013 L.F. Falconer rated it it was amazing
The first thing to lure me in with this book was the title, and once I was able to actually sit down and start reading it in earnest, I didn't want to put it down.

With a flowing, unpretentious style, Angel Lepire delivers a compelling, down-to-earth story of one woman's battle with her inner demons and the tremendous struggle to overcome them--a story that will resonate well with anyone who has ever dealt with an addict or an addiction. Very well done, and touching. It kept me continually hopefu
Hege
Apr 12, 2013 Hege rated it it was amazing
Trading poison is an amazing story about Jorie’s journey through addiction. Her heartbreaking story includes the pain she inflicts on her family, the forbidden romance she has with Bronx and her way back to recovery. The book captured my interest from page one all the way to the end. I think the author did a great job introducing a difficult topic in a way that capture peoples interest, and even though I would not consider this a self-help book, I did learn a lot about addiction, personal ...more
Kay
May 09, 2013 Kay rated it liked it
Recommended to Kay by: Rosie
Shelves: e-books
I was crying by the end of the book - Started it Thursday night and finished Sat. morning. It is about replacing one addiction with another and a woman's struggle to over come something that happened in her past and affected her future. As Jorie's life spiraled out of control you follow her struggles to put it back together and come to grips with not blaming herself for everything and gaining control of her life again.
Nichole Barocio
Jun 06, 2013 Nichole Barocio rated it liked it
i enjoyed the story.....long-time battle with food and unhappiness, loses weight and is still unhappy turning to another vice. jori's challenges seemed real and relatable; however i felt the writing was rather simple, which is what caused me to rate this book "liked" instead of "really liked".
Rhonda Coale
Dec 30, 2015 Rhonda Coale rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2015
This book was ok. Not exceptionally well-written, it does give the reader a glimpse into what it's like when a person trades one addiction for another.
Nicole
Nicole rated it it was amazing
Aug 14, 2014
Marilyn
Marilyn rated it liked it
Apr 18, 2013
Lynne
Jul 09, 2014 Lynne rated it really liked it
enjoyable and interesting, various addictions are explored
Darci
Darci rated it it was amazing
Jun 23, 2013
Kara Steier
Kara Steier rated it liked it
Sep 09, 2015
Amy Queau
Amy Queau rated it really liked it
May 30, 2013
Jill Bolken
Jill Bolken rated it it was amazing
Feb 25, 2013
Alicekessler
Alicekessler rated it it was amazing
Jul 07, 2013
Jessica Aasand
Jessica Aasand rated it it was amazing
Jun 14, 2013
Angel Lepire
Jan 28, 2013 Angel Lepire added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, book-club
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2013
Tammy Collier
Tammy Collier marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2013
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2013
Ak Meyer
Ak Meyer marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2013
Nancy Hogue
Nancy Hogue marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2013
Baily
Baily is currently reading it
Mar 09, 2013
Tara Holman
Tara Holman marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2013
Charli ღ Denae
Charli ღ Denae marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2013
Vanessa
Vanessa marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2013
Kimmer
Kimmer marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2013
Ashley Tucker
Ashley Tucker marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2013
Lori
Lori marked it as to-read
Sayerah
Sayerah marked it as to-read
Lorraine
Lorraine marked it as to-read
Lucia Cockcroft
Lucia Cockcroft marked it as to-read
Brenda
Brenda marked it as to-read
Kathryn
Kathryn marked it as to-read
Dan Waltz
Dan Waltz marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2013
Vicki
Vicki marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2013
Miranda Thomason
Miranda Thomason marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2013
Mommasaysread
Mommasaysread marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2013
Vardan Partamyan
Vardan Partamyan marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2013
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2013
Sarah marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2013
Denise Baer
Denise Baer marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2016
Kerry Connelly
Kerry Connelly marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2013
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2013
Barbara Frank
Barbara Frank marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2013
Making Connections: 1056. TRADING POISONS by Angel Lepire 9 32 May 10, 2013 04:42AM
Goodreads Authors...: *Trading Poisons Weekend Sale* 1 3 Mar 23, 2013 07:27AM