Start by marking “Secretariat Reborn” as Want to Read:
Secretariat Reborn

Secretariat Reborn

Christian Roberts, lanky, blond, and twenty-five-years-old, rents out small sailboats on Sarasota Bay. His peaceful life is shattered when he accepts a thoroughbred colt from his estranged, dying father, an Ocala horse trainer.
When Christian promises his father that he'll race the colt, he's plunged into the underworld of horse racing. To navigate his way he naively hires
Published October 1st 2013 by Oceanview Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Secretariat Reborn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Secretariat Reborn

Cold Burn by Kit EhrmanTrial Run by Dick FrancisKnockdown by Dick FrancisSlay Ride by Dick FrancisRat Race by Dick Francis
Mystery Books About Horses (Adult)
53rd out of 81 books — 5 voters
Black Beauty by Anna SewellMisty of Chincoteague by Marguerite HenryThe Wild One by Terri FarleyThe Black Stallion by Walter FarleyGreen Rider by Kristen Britain
Books with Horses on the Cover
441st out of 475 books — 91 voters

More lists with this book...

David
May 02, 2013 David rated it it was amazing
Secretariat Reborn is an excellent mix of action, adventure,and romance. Klaus gives the reader a look into the some of the more seamy side or the horse racing world. Thoroughly enjoyable!
Tricia M.S.
May 02, 2015 Tricia M.S. rated it it was amazing
In my opinion I could use a single word to discribe my thoughts of the books. I would like to use the wordInrigue by the following defination:

in·trigue. •an intriguing; secret or underhanded plotting
•a secret or underhanded plot or scheme;

Yup, that would be the word alright. I got a fresh look at the seedy side of horse racing and what happens behind the scenes. We see the turmoil of broken relationships between a dying father and an estranged son. The main Character, Christian - agrees to take
PopcornReads
Book Review & Giveaway: There is something about the way racehorses move that takes my breath away and watching Secretariat was like watching poetry in motion. So when I saw Secretariat Reborn by Susan Klaus, I knew I had to read it. I mentioned on the home page that Susan is an award-winning author. I want to clarify that. She won an award for an unpublished manuscript which Tor will publish in 2014. If it’s as well-written as Secretariat Reborn, it will do well.

Although it’s a horse racin
Bonnie Comm ternes
Jul 03, 2013 Bonnie Comm ternes rated it it was amazing
Can't wait to read this book! If I don't get this book in October it will definitely be on my Christmas list. I'm sure there will be a book signing in Portland, Oregon and I plan on being there.
Bea
I LOVE horse racing books. I started reading Dick Francis while I was teenager so as soon I saw the title, I knew I had to read this one. I barely even read the blurb and I always read the blurb, lol. Unfortunately, with Dick Francis as the standard, the book had some high expectations to meet. I enjoyed the book but I didn't love it. Much of the story is over the top and there are stereotypes that I had trouble accepting. There were also a plethora of typos and some grammatical errors; since ...more
Clare O'Beara
Oct 08, 2014 Clare O'Beara rated it it was amazing
This is an adult novel set around American racetracks.

When Christian Roberts' parents divorced he went to live in Florida with his mother, and now he runs a boat hire firm. But his dying father wants Christian to take on a promising colt and race him - although Christian knows nothing about Thoroughbreds. It's a steep learning curve for the young man. He's obliged to drive with the colt to Miami, stable him on a racetrack and engage a trainer.

SECRETARIAT REBORN might be an optimistic title for
Nancy
Jun 21, 2013 Nancy rated it liked it
Horse Racing, Drug Smuggling, Murder, and Romance

Christian's father is dying. Although Christian has been estranged from his father since his parents' divorce, his father, a small time horse trainer, begs Christian to come see him at his small Thoroughbred farm outside Ocala, Florida. Although down on his luck, his father has a special colt. He wants to give the colt to Christian on the understanding that the colt will be trained and race, hopefully making them a lot of money.

The trainer Christ
Scott Miles
Mar 16, 2014 Scott Miles rated it it was amazing
This is a great story - very interesting and creative with some clever plot twists, plus lots of action. If you're looking for a good, entertaining read, this is a great choice.

The story starts off gradually and continuously builds until you're racing to finish one chapter and get to the next. The basic premise of Christian racing his horse to fulfill the promise to his father ties the story together well, upon which there are lots of creative twists to increase the tension and keep you guessing
Margaret Wilkening
Apr 22, 2013 Margaret Wilkening rated it liked it
What would happen if Texas A&M scientists (whoop!) unknowingly cloned one of the most incredible racehorses that has ever taken the track? As the title indicates, that is the premise Susan Klaus explores in her novel Secretariat Reborn. Beach bum Christian Roberts reconnects with his dying father, a horse trainer, who leaves him a colt who not only carries Secretariat’s blood line, but his exact DNA. Christian wrestles with learning the racing world, finding financing to pay for the clone, ...more
Jane Blanchard
Sep 08, 2014 Jane Blanchard rated it it was amazing
Secretariat Reborn by Susan Klaus is a complex story with many underlying themes: horses, Thoroughbred racing, gambling, mobsters, romance, stalking, and sailing. Ms Klaus is a great storyteller. Her main character, Christian Roberts leads a relaxing life renting sailboats and dating one of the most beautiful woman on the Sarasota scene. When his dying father bequeaths him with a horse and extracts a promise from Christian to race it, Chris's life becomes complex. Unable to meet his girlfriend's ...more
Kari
Mar 16, 2014 Kari rated it it was amazing
What if? This beautifully written novel of horse racing meets science, kept me asking that very question. This action-packed novel not only holds your attention but also gives you an incredible history of horse-racing and the ins and outs of it as if you were standing in the grandstands knowing all that there is to gain and lose at this high-stakes sport. You’ll deeply realize the intricacies of horse racing, breeding, their care, and you'll get a true appreciation for these beautiful animals, ...more
Marymichele
Oct 09, 2013 Marymichele rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book from a first reads giveaway.

I will admit that it took me a while to get started on this book. It was labeled as a suspense book, and that is typically not a genre that I read a lot of. However, I loved this book! I thought the plotline was unique and refreshing. I loved that the main character put himself in front of everyone that he cares about, but also found a partner that was willing to do the same.

I did like that there was nonstop action, but it wasn't the type that ma
Kathy
Mar 09, 2015 Kathy rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult-fiction
Secretariat Reborn by Susan Klaus is an intriguing story of horse racing, gangsters, drug smuggling, and romance. The protagonist, Christian Roberts, heeds his dying father’s last wish and accepts a thoroughbred and promises to race him. Christian is thrown into the good and the evil side of horse racing. Strapped for funds, Christian accepts a loan from Vince, a New York mobster. To further complicate his life, he is being stalked by his psychotic ex-girlfriend.

This is a fast paced story that
Margaret Sholders
Oct 18, 2013 Margaret Sholders rated it it was amazing
Here is a book set in my backyard. I used to work with Standardbreds at the track but the premise works the same. Susan must work with horses as all the horse action is true. That made me pleased with the story. This book has it all. There is racing with wins and losses. A broken family comes together for a dying father. Not to mention laboratories, mobsters and the we popular crazy ex girlfriend. It was difficult to put down. I am a sucker for anything equine and this story was perfect. Thank ...more
Betsy
Apr 18, 2015 Betsy rated it liked it
For a first book, Susan did quite well. Her factual references regarding the horse world were well researched and realistic. She took the time to develop characters that are quite common in the horse world. It took a little while to get into the swing of things but she managed to write a contagious plot and keep the reader interested. Normally I would have said the Kate character might be a little over the top but then again, it wrapped up the ending nicely.
Jana Hoefling
Oct 03, 2013 Jana Hoefling rated it it was amazing
Secretariat Reborn by Susan Klaus is a fun adventure with the adorable Christian. A florida boy that gets caught up in all sorts of mayhem from horse racing to his crazy girlfriend. He makes you adore him and root for him as his life takes all sorts of twists and turns. Secretariat Reborn
Linda
Oct 18, 2013 Linda rated it really liked it
I just finished reading -Secretariat Reborn- a book by Susan Klaus that I won on Good Reads. This book kept me entertained from start to finish. The main characters were realistic and I found myself rooting for good vs. evil. The book was filled with surprises along the way. Instead of just being a book about horse racing, it is about the average people who work behind the scenes to make it all happen.
Cathy French
Aug 20, 2014 Cathy French rated it really liked it
I liked it. This book could have been portrayed with a pretensive curve but it wasn't making it an easy read. There are a lot of terms in regards to horse racing and with boating that couldvne made it hard to get through but the author did a fabulous job of writing it for the everyman not just people in those circles. I would definitely read more of her works after my experience with this story. Putting this on my shelf and am sure I'll reread it again in the future.
Charlie Watt
Jan 21, 2014 Charlie Watt rated it it was amazing
Susan Klaus has written a winner. "Secretariat Reborn" is tightly written, and includes plenty of intriguing plot twists and complex well-developed characters. Intrigue, romance, and adventure are interwoven into a realistic "what if" story that is difficult to put down. Could there be a movie deal in the future?
Shannon
Dec 23, 2014 Shannon rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review

A fantastic read for any horse enthusiast! Secretariat was a racing wonder, watching him running is just awe inspiring. Quite imaginative to create a story about cloning the wonder horse. Throw in the shady side of the racing industry and you have an entertaining reading experience.

Definitely recommend!
Bradenton Bill
Jun 06, 2014 Bradenton Bill rated it it was amazing
The story was very entertaining and uplifting. It was a very enjoyable read. I'm looking forward to the next book. My mom, Lois, also read it and she stayed up all night until it was finished. She couldn't put it down.
Sandra
Not quite four stars. Loved the plot with the horse but could have done without the crazy ex. She added nothing to the story. Full review on Booklikes.
Maryann Burchell
Mar 17, 2014 Maryann Burchell rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! I was intrigued by the idea of cloning a famous horse and the action and plot kept me enthralled throughout the entire book. I'm looking forward to reading her next book!
Mimi
Dec 16, 2013 Mimi rated it really liked it
fun read for fans of mobsters and or horse racing.
Susan
Susan rated it liked it
Sep 28, 2014
Stacie Bryant
Stacie Bryant rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2014
Kelly Robinson
Kelly Robinson rated it liked it
Sep 13, 2016
Vicki Bishop
Vicki Bishop rated it liked it
Oct 24, 2013
Влатко Савев
Влатко Савев rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2014
Ray Ryder
Ray Ryder rated it it was amazing
Jun 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Book Giveaways: Win Secretariat Reborn by Susan Klaus 2 7 Oct 18, 2013 10:13AM
Free Books, .99 &...: Win Secretariat Reborn by Susan Klaus 1 6 Oct 18, 2013 09:34AM
Book Haven: Win Secretariat Reborn by Susan Klaus! 1 2 Oct 18, 2013 09:32AM
This book is going to be great! 1 3 Jul 03, 2013 07:57AM
  • Deadly Diamonds
  • Grains of Truth
  • The Fall of Saints
  • The Circle of Thirteen
  • Where They Bury You
  • Yesterday's Echo (Rick Cahill, #1)
  • One Great Year
  • The Tenth Witness
  • The Devil's Madonna
  • Thanksgiving
  • Rogue (The Beloved, #2)
  • The Black Stiletto: Stars & Stripes  (The Black Stiletto #3)
  • A Dangerous Fiction: A Mystery
  • The Seers (Holders #2)
  • Chimera: A Jim Chapel Mission (Jim Chapel, #1)
  • Cold Mourning (Stonechild and Rouleau Mystery, #1)
  • The Widows of Braxton County
  • Ten Lords A-Leaping (Father Christmas Mystery #3)