Start by marking “No Dogs in Heaven?: Scenes from the Life of a Country Veterinarian” as Want to Read:
No Dogs in Heaven?: Scenes from the Life of a Country Veterinarian

No Dogs in Heaven?: Scenes from the Life of a Country Veterinarian

For the millions of animal enthusiasts in America, here's a heartwarming collection of tales by veterinarian Robert Sharp that relate the joys and misadventures of being an animal doctor in small-town U.S.A. With humor and compassion, No Dogs in Heaven? portrays the great and not-so-great characteristics of human and animal nature, all infused by a lovable veterinarian's b ...more
Published April 21st 2005 by Running Press (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about No Dogs in Heaven?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Dogs in Heaven?

Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteWatership Down by Richard AdamsAnimal Farm by George OrwellBlack Beauty by Anna SewellWhere the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls
Best Books About Animals
1,070 books — 1,455 voters
Tell Me Where It Hurts by Nick TroutAll Creatures Great and Small by James HerriotAll Things Bright and Beautiful by James HerriotJames Herriot's Animal Stories by James HerriotZoo Vet by David    Taylor
Vets
62 books — 17 voters

More lists with this book...

Emmy Lou
Jan 08, 2011 Emmy Lou rated it it was amazing
Dr. Sharp's collection of stories are definitely something that animal lovers should read. It was difficult to read the sad stories without crying.
Since Dr. Sharp's practice is in my hometown, I know him fairly well and was able to inject his personality into the book. It made the book even more enjoyable.

Hajeong Yoon
Dec 11, 2013 Hajeong Yoon rated it it was amazing
It's incredibly toughing for someone who loves animals.
Brianna
Jul 08, 2009 Brianna rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: others in the veterinary field
For me, this book was a trip down memory lane. Even though the stories in the book took place in the 70s and 80s, it imitates a lot of the memories I have working for a rural vet in Missouri.

I have definitely done the rounding up a dozen plus cats in a client's home, trying to catch them all and making sure you didn't get the same one twice.

I understood essentially all of the terms he used, and was interested to see him explain away some of them (scours) and not others (feeder pigs).

I feel li
Kristin
Nov 04, 2010 Kristin rated it it was amazing
I bought this book on vacation a few years ago and thought that I never finished it. So I read it at the end of last week, and it turns out I did get through to the end once before. However, it is a quick read, full of anecdotes from Sharp's career after taking over for the primary vet in a rural area.
Like many books like this, the worst part is the brevity. The book is fairly thin, and I was enjoying his writing so much, that I was sad to reach the end. Could have been 2 or even 3x as long and
Az
Aug 11, 2007 Az rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: animal lovers
Shelves: animals
"you think those dogs will not be in heaven! i tell you they will be there long before any of us." robert louis stevenson
i've been reading books that focus on animal stories this summer, and the reasoning is simple. i like animals more than i like people. it's not that i hate human characters, i'm just bored of them. though there are plenty of humans in dr.sharp's book, they are more thoroughly characterized by their attitude about their animal(s).
a veterinarian takes over a practice in souther
Cat Kelley
Jul 02, 2011 Cat Kelley rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this book! Anyone who has a pet of ANY sort will howl and chuckle reading this book. It is quick read as it is a collection of short stories compiled into a charming country tale. The author is someone I could relate to (a former navigator with SAC for the US Air Force) and I thoroughly loved his writing style. This book landed in my hands by an accidental walk through the animal section at my local library.
Elizabeth
Sep 30, 2011 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir
It was a fun read. For some reason I don't read alot of books that make me laugh so it was nice to read this one.One reason I enjoyed it is I live about twenty minutes from most of the locations in the book, so I could relate tp and understand the places and people. (More than most books)
It reminded me alot of James Herriot's stories. Maybe all country vets have similar experiences?
If so it must be one of the most entertaining lines of work. :)
Jill
Mar 06, 2016 Jill rated it really liked it
Training the Rookie, Both Ends of the Lead, Once in a Lifetime, Continuing Education, and Table End are the chapter title in this quaint collection of animal and veterinarian escapades in Hillsboro, Ohio. The stories display the humor found in the situations and the attitude of the owners while treating animals that cannot speak for themselves.
Jeffrey
Jan 10, 2009 Jeffrey rated it really liked it
I liked the stories in this book, but I love animals, so why wouldn't I? It was hard to read the tales with a sad ending, but I did non-the-less!

It is obvious that the writer was not really a writer, as the tales were not filled with verse and beautiful language. They were told in a very succinct way, much as you would imagine a doctor would write.
Jamie
Jul 29, 2011 Jamie rated it it was amazing
Great stories from a veterinarian who, a year after graduating, buys a country vet hospital - yet his emphasis in school was small animal medicine, and has to learn everything firsthand about dealing with livestock . . . and country-folk. My favorite story is of the two legged cat!
Julie
May 16, 2008 Julie rated it really liked it
Alright animal lovers, you need to read this book. I love to read books by veterinarians, especially if they are well written. An added plus is this guy is from Ohio!

I had to get this from the Columbus library. But it may also be available on Search Ohio.
Hope
Aug 12, 2015 Hope rated it really liked it
This was such a good book, I really enjoyed reading it. The story which gave the book its name made me so upset, but it made me connect even more with the author and the rest of the book.
Annette
Aug 05, 2007 Annette rated it liked it
Very cute, sweet, true story of a Vet in a small town - even if you don't love animals, you will really like this book - easy read.
Ann Laskowski
Sep 01, 2016 Ann Laskowski rated it it was amazing
What a heartwarming book! If you love animals you will love these stories coming straight from the vet himself. Really enjoyed.
Francis Cuncich
Feb 20, 2014 Francis Cuncich rated it it was amazing
More like no pieces of crap..! You know who you are!
Michelle
Jan 19, 2008 Michelle rated it really liked it
If you are an animal lover, this book is wonderful. I highly recommend it.
Charlotte
May 15, 2010 Charlotte rated it really liked it
A pleasant read.
Debra
May 23, 2013 Debra rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, dogs
Book filled with a series of stories about animal patients and their owners. Nice book, easy read. Very heart-rending.
Jessica P
Apr 29, 2011 Jessica P rated it liked it
A nice read, but the author tries too much to be like James Herriot without really pulling it off.
Cora Kertzman
Mar 15, 2015 Cora Kertzman rated it really liked it
After I got into it, I could not put this book down. The interesting twists in this book wilol keep your nose in it all day!
Thebestdogmom
Cute book. I enjoyed the short stories.
Amalthea
Jun 28, 2008 Amalthea rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: animal lovers
Witty and touching the stories compiled in this book show that animals have emotions and personalities and that if anyone deserves to go to heaven it is certainly animals.
Gail
Jul 18, 2012 Gail rated it really liked it
Charming anecdotes from a vet in southern Ohio. His warm-hearted personality comes through in the stories and he is not afraid to poke a little fun at himself. A fun read.
Faith Fishcrazy
Nov 04, 2011 Faith Fishcrazy rated it did not like it
The author describes an encounter with a woman who (asking if her dog's mange is contagious) shows him her breast(which I find offensive).
Abbey
Jun 19, 2013 Abbey rated it really liked it
Pleasant, easy to read book of stories of a veterinarians and his patients, both human and animal. Not literature, but a lot of fun.
Laurie
Aug 25, 2007 Laurie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
Very good book if you like animal stories
Jessica
Jan 28, 2009 Jessica rated it it was ok
Shelves: books-i-own
Eh. It was ok. They were lovely stories, some heart breaking some inspiring, but overall just okay.
I'm glad I only paid $2.
I like Enslaved by Ducks better.
Sandra
Jul 11, 2008 Sandra rated it it was amazing
Funny and heartbreaking, both.

Well written and with tons of local references.

A fast and easy read.

I read a few of the stories to my family on long car rides.
Leslie Andersen
Feb 05, 2014 Leslie Andersen rated it really liked it
There are plenty of other books like this one--tales from the life of a veterinarian--and this one is worth reading if you enjoy true stories about animals, and their owners.
Diane
May 09, 2011 Diane rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Diane by: public library book
This is a wonderfully delightful book, great read for young & older ... light, great humor, sad, refreshing about animals, the people that care for them & the veterinarian that cares for them all. :)
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • All My Patients Have Tales: Favorite Stories from a Vet's Practice
  • Fowl Weather
  • One at a Time: A Week in an American Animal Shelter
  • Lost and Found: Dogs, Cats, and Everyday Heroes at a Country Animal Shelter
  • Tales from a Dog Catcher
  • The Rhino with Glue-On Shoes: And Other Surprising True Stories of Zoo Vets and their Patients
  • Love Is the Best Medicine: What Two Dogs Taught One Veterinarian about Hope, Humility, and Everyday Miracles
  • Rescue Ink: How Ten Guys Saved Countless Dogs and Cats, Twelve Horses, Five Pigs, One Duck,and a Few Turtles
  • DogTown: Tales of Rescue, Rehabilitation, and Redemption