Start by marking “No Dogs in Heaven?: Scenes from the Life of a Country Veterinarian” as Want to Read:
No Dogs in Heaven?: Scenes from the Life of a Country Veterinarian

No Dogs in Heaven?: Scenes from the Life of a Country Veterinarian

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  128 ratings  ·  27 reviews
For the millions of animal enthusiasts in America, here's a heartwarming collection of tales by veterinarian Robert Sharp that relate the joys and misadventures of being an animal doctor in small-town U.S.A. With humor and compassion, No Dogs in Heaven? portrays the great and not-so-great characteristics of human and animal nature, all infused by a lovable veterinarian's b ...more
Published April 21st 2005 by Running Press (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about No Dogs in Heaven?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Dogs in Heaven?

Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteWatership Down by Richard AdamsBlack Beauty by Anna SewellWhere the Red Fern Grows by Wilson RawlsAnimal Farm by George Orwell
Best Books About Animals
317th out of 818 books — 1,213 voters
Dewey by Vicki MyronMarley and Me by John GroganHomer's Odyssey by Gwen CooperOogy by Larry LevinAlex & Me by Irene M. Pepperberg
Animal Memoirs
135th out of 212 books — 118 voters

More lists with this book...

Emmy Lou
Dr. Sharp's collection of stories are definitely something that animal lovers should read. It was difficult to read the sad stories without crying.
Since Dr. Sharp's practice is in my hometown, I know him fairly well and was able to inject his personality into the book. It made the book even more enjoyable.

Hajeong Yoon
It's incredibly toughing for someone who loves animals.
Kristin
I bought this book on vacation a few years ago and thought that I never finished it. So I read it at the end of last week, and it turns out I did get through to the end once before. However, it is a quick read, full of anecdotes from Sharp's career after taking over for the primary vet in a rural area.
Like many books like this, the worst part is the brevity. The book is fairly thin, and I was enjoying his writing so much, that I was sad to reach the end. Could have been 2 or even 3x as long and
Az
Aug 11, 2007 Az rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: animal lovers
Shelves: animals
"you think those dogs will not be in heaven! i tell you they will be there long before any of us." robert louis stevenson
i've been reading books that focus on animal stories this summer, and the reasoning is simple. i like animals more than i like people. it's not that i hate human characters, i'm just bored of them. though there are plenty of humans in dr.sharp's book, they are more thoroughly characterized by their attitude about their animal(s).
a veterinarian takes over a practice in souther
Leslie Andersen
There are plenty of other books like this one--tales from the life of a veterinarian--and this one is worth reading if you enjoy true stories about animals, and their owners.
Brianna
Jul 12, 2009 Brianna rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: others in the veterinary field
For me, this book was a trip down memory lane. Even though the stories in the book took place in the 70s and 80s, it imitates a lot of the memories I have working for a rural vet in Missouri.

I have definitely done the rounding up a dozen plus cats in a client's home, trying to catch them all and making sure you didn't get the same one twice.

I understood essentially all of the terms he used, and was interested to see him explain away some of them (scours) and not others (feeder pigs).

I feel li
Francis Cuncich
More like no pieces of crap..! You know who you are!
Elizabeth
It was a fun read. For some reason I don't read alot of books that make me laugh so it was nice to read this one.One reason I enjoyed it is I live about twenty minutes from most of the locations in the book, so I could relate tp and understand the places and people. (More than most books)
It reminded me alot of James Herriot's stories. Maybe all country vets have similar experiences?
If so it must be one of the most entertaining lines of work. :)
Cat Kelley
Absolutely loved this book! Anyone who has a pet of ANY sort will howl and chuckle reading this book. It is quick read as it is a collection of short stories compiled into a charming country tale. The author is someone I could relate to (a former navigator with SAC for the US Air Force) and I thoroughly loved his writing style. This book landed in my hands by an accidental walk through the animal section at my local library.
Jeffrey
I liked the stories in this book, but I love animals, so why wouldn't I? It was hard to read the tales with a sad ending, but I did non-the-less!

It is obvious that the writer was not really a writer, as the tales were not filled with verse and beautiful language. They were told in a very succinct way, much as you would imagine a doctor would write.
Jamie
Great stories from a veterinarian who, a year after graduating, buys a country vet hospital - yet his emphasis in school was small animal medicine, and has to learn everything firsthand about dealing with livestock . . . and country-folk. My favorite story is of the two legged cat!
Julie
Alright animal lovers, you need to read this book. I love to read books by veterinarians, especially if they are well written. An added plus is this guy is from Ohio!

I had to get this from the Columbus library. But it may also be available on Search Ohio.
Diane
May 18, 2011 Diane rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Diane by: public library book
This is a wonderfully delightful book, great read for young & older ... light, great humor, sad, refreshing about animals, the people that care for them & the veterinarian that cares for them all. :)
Amalthea
Jul 06, 2008 Amalthea rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: animal lovers
Witty and touching the stories compiled in this book show that animals have emotions and personalities and that if anyone deserves to go to heaven it is certainly animals.
Gail
Charming anecdotes from a vet in southern Ohio. His warm-hearted personality comes through in the stories and he is not afraid to poke a little fun at himself. A fun read.
Sandra
Funny and heartbreaking, both.

Well written and with tons of local references.

A fast and easy read.

I read a few of the stories to my family on long car rides.
Jessica
Eh. It was ok. They were lovely stories, some heart breaking some inspiring, but overall just okay.
I'm glad I only paid $2.
I like Enslaved by Ducks better.
Faith Fishcrazy
The author describes an encounter with a woman who (asking if her dog's mange is contagious) shows him her breast(which I find offensive).
Abbey
Pleasant, easy to read book of stories of a veterinarians and his patients, both human and animal. Not literature, but a lot of fun.
Annette
Very cute, sweet, true story of a Vet in a small town - even if you don't love animals, you will really like this book - easy read.
Debra
Book filled with a series of stories about animal patients and their owners. Nice book, easy read. Very heart-rending.
Nancy Graham
Engaging anecdotes from a rural veterinarian -- offered in bite-size helpings. Delightful.
Jessica P
A nice read, but the author tries too much to be like James Herriot without really pulling it off.
Michelle
If you are an animal lover, this book is wonderful. I highly recommend it.
Thebestdogmom Stiner
Cute book. I enjoyed the short stories.
Laurie
Aug 25, 2007 Laurie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
Very good book if you like animal stories
Charlotte
A pleasant read.
Maranda Heltenberg
Maranda Heltenberg marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
  • All My Patients Kick and Bite: More Favorite Stories from a Vet's Practice
  • The Rhino with Glue-On Shoes: And Other Surprising True Stories of Zoo Vets and their Patients
  • Fowl Weather
  • Lost and Found: Dogs, Cats, and Everyday Heroes at a Country Animal Shelter
  • One at a Time: A Week in an American Animal Shelter
  • DogTown: Tales of Rescue, Rehabilitation, and Redemption
  • Tales from a Dog Catcher
  • Love Is the Best Medicine: What Two Dogs Taught One Veterinarian about Hope, Humility, and Everyday Miracles
  • Best Friends: The True Story of the World's Most Beloved Animal Sanctuary
  • Rescue Ink: How Ten Guys Saved Countless Dogs and Cats, Twelve Horses, Five Pigs, One Duck,and a Few Turtles
  • Shelter Dogs
  • Pawprints of Katrina: Pets Saved and Lessons Learned
  • Dogs I Have Met: And the People They Found
  • Shelter Dogs: Amazing Stories of Adopted Strays
  • One Dog at a Time: Saving the Strays of Helmand - An Inspiring True Story
  • Kicked, Bitten, and Scratched: Life and Lessons at the World's Premier School for Exotic Animal Trainers
  • Out of Harm's Way
  • Old Dogs Are the Best Dogs
Group Theoretical Methods in Physics: Proceedings of the Fifth International Colloquium, Universite de Montreal, July 1976