Devil's Waltz (Alex Delaware, #7)

Devil's Waltz (Alex Delaware #7)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  5,699 ratings  ·  124 reviews
The doctors call it Munchausen by proxy, theterrifying disease that causes parents to induceillness in their own children. Now, in his most frightening case, Dr. Alex Delaware may have to provethat a child's own mother or father is making hersick.

Twenty-one-month-old Cassie Jones is bright, energetic, the picture of health. Yether parents rush her to the emergency room ni...more
Published December 2nd 2003 by Ballantine Books (first published February 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Devil's Waltz, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Devil's Waltz

Dancing with a Dead Horse by Danielle DeVorBilly Elliot. I Will Dance. by Melvin BurgessJezebel by Koko BrownThe Spiral Dance by StarhawkThe Twelve Dancing Princesses by Marianna Mayer
Dancing
36th out of 91 books — 38 voters
Oliver Twist by Charles DickensSave Me the Waltz by Zelda FitzgeraldThe Killing Dance by Laurell K. HamiltonDancing Girls by Margaret AtwoodThe Twelve Dancing Princesses by Marianna Mayer
Dance Metaphors in Titles
31st out of 90 books — 16 voters

More lists with this book...

Robin
Phew! By the hair of my chinny-chin-chin I finished this in time for book group. Woo! And after hearing why E chose this book (because of her own personal experiences with a relative who suffers from Munchausen disorder, as well as the fact that she didn't realize it was in a series), I can even embrace her choice. I was pleased to find that, like book 6, this book featured a more tightly-woven plot than the earlier titles in the series. It really had a "whodunnit" feel to it, which was fun... p...more
Scotty Schrier
Here's what I learned from this book.

I don't like boring formulaic stories that make references to other books in the series that sound WAY more interesting than the one that I am currently reading.

This book was the equivalent of buying a decent car and as you are leaving the dealership you find out that there was a much cooler car that you didn't see...for the same price as the one you just bought.

I got buyer's remorse...and the book was GIVEN to me.
Lynda
Clinical child psychologist Alex Delaware was on a puzzling case, suspicions were raised involving Munchausen by proxy. Twenty-one-month-old Cassie Brooks Jones’ conditioned worsened with each visit for medical attention, her life was in danger and Alex’s timeframe was dwindling. The hospital became a troubling environment with budget cutbacks, attacks on staff and an atmosphere of growing tension ripe for possible revenge against the controllers of the hospital – Cassie’s grandfather and father...more
Matthew
This novel made me embarrassed to call myself a writer.
Brenda
I love the Alex Delaware series however the first half of this book limped along. It was too easy to put down and I only continued reading from a sense of obligation. Fortunately the pace and intrigue did eventually pick up and three quarters of the way through I was riveted.

The subplot fought for attention and often stole the spotlight from the main plot; both meandered a little too loosely and languidly. The stakes weren't high enough and no one of consequence seemed in imminent danger, excep...more
Chris
Oct 21, 2013 Chris rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Chris by: it is jonathan kellerman! what more can I sayy
Mary
Munchausen by proxy is the terrifying disease that causes parents to induce illness in their own children. Now, in his most frightening case, Dr. Alex Delaware may have to prove that a child's own mother or father is making her sick.

Twenty-one-month-old Cassie Jones is bright, energetic, the picture of health. Yet her parents rush her to the emergency room night after night with medical symptoms no doctor can explain. Cassie's parents seem sympathetic and deeply concerned. Her favorite nurse is...more
Jim Nolt
The New York Times book reviewer wrote "Reads like wildfire... harrowing suspense." Well, it burned hot at times, but it weren't no wildfire. The story centers around Dr. Alex Delaware who's called in by Dr. Stephanie Eves after a toddler is repeatedly rushed to the hospital with symptoms for which no one can account. Doctors Eves and Delaware suspect Munchhausen by proxy, but before they can prove it a toxicologist and one of his staff assistants are murdered. My only complaint about the book i...more
Alex Delaware goes up against a potential Munchausen by proxy case. You know how some books you like just because you really get them? Like you move to a new city and read a book set there and you catch the vibe of the setting and the names of the neighborhoods and the history that's obliquely referenced, and you feel like you actually belong to the city? That's how this was for me. By no stretch of the imagination was this a very good book, but it was literally a psychologist called to consult...more
Cheryl Taylor garant
As always, Kellerman and Delaware deliver! I think I may have read this in 1997 when it came out, but I still couldn't put it down! I started it Friday night and finished before I went to bed on Saturday!
Pygmy
Just another book I'm reading for the purpose of clearing shelf space. Frustratingly, I can't seem to just chuck it off the bat. It is written in a pleasant enough style, and so I keep reading in hopes that the dragging search for evidence for Munchausen by proxy will eventually become exciting. This isn't the first book in the series, which doesn't make me any happier. There are oblique references and reoccurring characters that I know nothing about.

ETA: Meh. I was getting pissy enough with bei...more
David Reynolds
Not my favorite..not sure about Alex and Hospitals..even tho I know this was where he trained etc...he left and there is an edgy uncomfortableness for the reader..interesting Johnathan!!
Eliana
Apr 05, 2014 Eliana added it
My favorite Dr. Delaware, in a series of psychological crime thrillers! Great co-protagonist in the form of Milo Sturgis. Always a clever psychological component to the varying plot lines.
Clare
This one kept me guessing right up until the end. But I have to say not a nice subject to have to read about even if its only just touching the surface of it. But an excellent read never the less.
Jean
Enjoyed Alex's and Milo's characters, I did find it seemed to slog along at times, but just a bit.
Jenny
I usually like Kellerman's books but this one was a little rough for me to get through. I found the idea of writing a book around Munchhausen by proxy interesting but there was too much other stuff mixed in with it. I am not good with financial stuff so I got lost in parts of the book. I do not feel like it was necessary to include so much detail in the sub-story of the financial mystery. I think if Kellerman had left out some of the confusing financial detail, it would have been a much better b...more
Lianna
Aug 05, 2008 Lianna rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Lianna by: Stfrankle
Katie
I wanted to like this more than I did. I was wondering when the concept of Munchausen/Munchausen-by-proxy would come in this series. The analysis of the disorder is always interesting to read (even in fictional characters) but it got twisted with a whole other sub-plot that was incredibly dull.

Despite that, I really enjoyed the script format of Milo's interview with the eventual "bad guy" and the lawyer.

There's something off about the way Alex relates to women. I can't quite put my finger on it,...more
NATUI
This book deals with a sick child and the suspicion of Munchhausen by Proxy. As this is now the second book I've read by Kellerman, I am getting more into the groove of his writing style and end-of-book closure, or lack thereof. I enjoyed the book and just picked up another by him at a local thrift store. It is a relief to read a thriller/mystery novel with vocabulary that is higher than a 5th grade level. The author uses words I haven't seen since college, and I love it. It was a great book to...more
Katie

Rose
Mar 27, 2008 Rose added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008
Åsmund
Das ist erste Mal ich ein Krimi mit eine Psychologe als Hauptdarsteller lese.
Das ganze ist ein bisschen komisch; jede Person im Buch wird beschrieben durch die Augen eines Psychologes. Das heißt auch, dass die Handlung und Geschickte im Buch ein bisschen im Hintergrund rückt.

Wenn man sich für Psychologie interessiert könnte das Buch sicher interessant sein. Als reine Krimi-Geschickte ist das Buch eher langweilig, denn man muss 2/3 vom Buch lesen, vor die Geschichte eher interessant wird – und da...more
Mike Calhoon
Marbles
I definately loved this book, disturbing as it may be or as others may find it - a suspected case Munchausen by proxy; the disorder in which parents - or a parent - induces illness in their child {or children}.

I can randomly pick this book off my shelf for anytime; I can flip through the pages and just begin reading. The story itself pulled me in, when started, I just couldn't put it down till I'd come the entire way through and came to find out what exactly was wrong with twenty-one month old...more
Jodi
Alex Delaware 7
Roos Boum
I read the Dutch version of the book: Duivelsdans

Als overlever van Münchhausen by proxy (Mbp) móést ik dit boek natuurlijk hebben. En ik werd niet teleurgesteld. Een spannend boek, met voor waarschijnlijk veel lezers een verrassend plot, maar voor mij overduidelijk. Kellerman heeft zijn research goed gedaan inzake Münchhausen by proxy. Hij verwoordt goed wat er bij kindermishandeling door Mbp speelt en weet daar ook nog een spannend verhaal omheen te creëren.
Heb het boek met veel belangstelling...more
Susan
I'm guessing I'd give this one at least 4 stars. I picked this up yesterday in a second-hand bookstore and realized I had read it years before and maybe I'll read it again someday because of the interesting subject but in the meantime I have to start working on the other 4 JK books I bought. My ambition is to read all of his books because I love his style and insight into the characters. (He really does like to describe in detail the physical appearance of his characters though!)
Robyn Tominaga
Don't know if I'm used to his writing style, but this one, I predicted who did it right away.
aPriL purrs 'n hisses
Interesting, but it was like two novels sandwiched together. One, somebody's poisoning a baby - one of the parents, or a nurse, or a doctor? A formerly well-respected hospital is obviously run-down and being starved of funding - intentional?

In real life nefarious things occur with no connecting lines of plot all of the time, but a good book usually has subplots joined up on some level for literary satisfaction. Unfortunately, not in this one, #7 in the Delaware series.
  • Serpent's Tooth (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #10)
  • Cold Case (Alan Gregory, #8)
  • A Certain Justice (Abe Glitsky, #1)
Jonathan Kellerman was born in New York City in 1949 and grew up in Los Angeles. He helped work his way through UCLA as an editorial cartoonist, columnist, editor and freelance musician. As a senior, at the age of 22, he won a Samuel Goldwyn Writing Award for fiction.

Like his fictional protagonist, Alex Delaware, Jonathan received at Ph.D. in psychology at the age of 24, with a specialty in the t...more
More about Jonathan Kellerman...
When the Bough Breaks (Alex Delaware, #1) Deception (Alex Delaware, #25) Victims (Alex Delaware, #27) Time Bomb (Alex Delaware, #5) Silent Partner (Alex Delaware, #4)

“The stress of grad school can drive anyone temporarily mad.” 3 likes