Start by marking “The Winship Family: Father and Son (The Winship Family Trilogy #1)” as Want to Read:
The Winship Family: Father and Son (The Winship Family Trilogy #1)

The Winship Family: Father and Son (The Winship Family Trilogy #1)

From his humble beginnings in 1851, as the son of a native Irish gardener, Seamus Tobin endures a terrible tragedy that leaves him orphaned in early childhood. His fortunes change when he is adopted by his father’s employer, the lord of an ancient Anglo-Irish estate in County Cork and a leading member of the Anglo-Irish Ascendancy in Ireland.

As James Winship, the young man
Published January 14th 2013 by CreateSpace

To ask other readers questions about The Winship Family, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Winship Family

The Son of Neptune by Rick RiordanNative Son by Richard WrightFathers and Sons by Gordon AndrewsSons by Pearl S. BuckThe Story of Son by J.R. Ward
Sons
10th out of 113 books — 6 voters
I, the Sun by Janet E. MorrisLawyers in Hell by Janet E. MorrisDreamers in Hell by Janet E. MorrisPoets in Hell by Janet E. MorrisRogues in Hell by Janet E. Morris
Historical Fiction Featuring Real People
57th out of 158 books — 48 voters

More lists with this book...

Gaele
Sep 03, 2014 Gaele rated it liked it
Shelves: net-galley
This is a difficult book to rate and explain without spoilers, a bit on the dry side as McCarthy didn’t give readers character development that was more visceral, allowing us to see beneath the actions to find enough there to understand the actions. But, to his credit, the complexity of Irish history of the time was well researched and detailed, and it is evident the author understands the history as a series of events and multi-layered attitudes, without one singular cause or reaction.
What McC
Marjorie
Sep 01, 2014 Marjorie rated it it was amazing
Given To Me For An Honest Review

This book is about the Irish side of the story. It seems as though it has always been England that we have heard about and in this book you learn that England has not had a great past in Ireland.
It is about an Irish family that is assimilated with British roots. They decide to live in Ireland, This family is not the stereotypical Irish family. They are not sad nor are they starving. Michael Marcarthy helps you to begin to see the two sides so that any judgement th
Joseph Ferguson
Jan 14, 2016 Joseph Ferguson rated it it was amazing
Set in the 19th century, The Winship Family follows the lives of Protestant Anglo-Irish landowners William Winship and his adopted son, James, mixing fictional characters with historical figures..
Well written with a mix of action, adventure, politics, and historical detail, McCarthy throws readers right into the action as a young William faces a duel over his fiancée. His opponent, Lord Sudbury, will, along with his family, remain a constant nemesis to the Winships throughout. Most of the book
Clare O'Beara
The start is good as a point of personal storytelling, following Anglo-Irish landed gentry. After that we start to get politics and history lectures, which occur regularly through the book. For that reason I would say that this tale won't appeal to everyone as we get probably as much background as action in the three parts of this trilogy.

We begin with William Winship being challenged to a duel over a girl he wishes to marry; Lord Sudbury is another Anglo-Irish man and hoped to be a lucky suito
Karen
Sep 30, 2014 Karen rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
Michael McCarthy takes a very hot topic to both Brits and Irish. That being the history of the Irish struggle for independence. James aka seamus is the main character weaved into those of history that sat in the British Parliament allowing tragedy, famine and blood shed to happen because they don't feel like the native Irish are anything but bog dwellers.
The story follows Seamus, the son of a gardner through his adoption into a much better situation when his parents die and the Lord of the house
Mandy
Dec 07, 2014 Mandy rated it liked it
A long sprawling family saga, with action aplenty against a detailed historical background, the three volumes of The Winship Family give a panoramic portrait of a fictional family whose lives intertwine with real-life figures and real-life events. We meet the hero Seamus Toibin in his native Ireland of the 1850s. Tragically orphaned he is adopted by his father’s employer, a leading member of the Anglo-Irish ascendancy, and as James Winship leads a privileged life in England, India and then back ...more
Carol Custer
Dec 26, 2014 Carol Custer rated it really liked it
The Winship Family (Kindle Edition)
I've always liked historical fiction and books covering generations of a family. This series does all that with plenty of adventure and historical background. The three volume series follows an Irish family.through years of their lives - - lots of drama and feeling. Many real characters are depicted along with the fictional ones which lends an air of authenticity. This is a thoughtful, well-written series.
Ann Welton
Sep 21, 2014 Ann Welton rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book, and it truly surprised me as I have not been a big fan of historical fiction. Could not wait to read, every single day; the author did an excellent job of developing William and his adopted Irish son James, taking him completely through his life. Thanks, Mr. McCarthy, and I look forward to the others in this series.
Natalie
Sep 21, 2014 Natalie rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
I extremely enjoyed this novel rich in Irish history. I am of Irish descent and I felt like I was reading the history of my Irish ancestors and the hardships they went trough. this book was action packed and heart-breaking at the same time. I cried for poor young Seamus Tobin and what he went through. I was glad he found a family and became James Winship
Jamie Barringer (Ravenmount)
Jamie Barringer (Ravenmount) rated it really liked it
May 06, 2015
Elizabeth Imafuji
Elizabeth Imafuji rated it did not like it
Sep 06, 2014
Autumn
Sep 03, 2014 Autumn rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf-d
I quit a few chapters in. No concept of timing, tenses all over the place... no, just no thanks.
Becky
Becky marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Mia
Mia marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2016
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Zsófi Szabó
Zsófi Szabó marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
Michael J. McCarthy is a former economist, White House speechwriter, media attorney, and media executive. He holds B.A. and M. Sc. degrees in history from American and English universities and resided for a time in Dublin.

The Winship Family trilogy is the product of extensive research into
Anglo-Irish life in nineteenth century Ireland, British Indian Army life in
India, parliamentary history in t
More about Michael J. McCarthy...

The Winship Family Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Winship Family: The Children (The Winship Family Trilogy #2)
  • The Winship Family: Independence (The Winship Family Trilogy #3)