Start by marking “Acceptable Loss” as Want to Read:
Acceptable Loss

Acceptable Loss

Acceptable Loss by Kregg P. Jorgenson. New York : Ivy Books,1991.
Published September 23rd 1991 by Ivy Books (first published January 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Acceptable Loss, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Acceptable Loss

Ellis Amdur
Jun 05, 2016 Ellis Amdur rated it it was amazing
From The Red Badge of Courage onwards, there are many awe-inspiring books on war; quite a few great ones on the Vietnam war, in fact. I've found that the great ones seem to strive for something epic--the writing itself being so beautiful or horrifying that the work of art stands on its own, or the book carries a message of some kind that ennobles the book, or even the writer.
Kregg does something else, and I think it is some of the most remarkable writing I've ever read. He writes the war throug
Bruce Campbell
Oct 25, 2016 Bruce Campbell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty standard Vietnam war historical piece

Writing only so-so, but it kept my attention. It's a quick read. If you're looking for something unique or extraordinarily well written, this isn't it. If you're a Vietnam history buff, you'll like it.
John Podlaski
Aug 05, 2012 John Podlaski rated it it was amazing
Acceptable Loss is an awesome story!! I especially liked reading about the secret insertions into "no man's land" as the five-man LRRP teams operated without any support. It is edge of your seat suspense when these small groups are unknowingly trapped between large enemy forces and have to make their way to the pick-up point, precisely on time, or they will be left behind! After several of these encounters, I can see why Mr. Jorgenson transferred to the Blues. However, it wasn't any easier there ...more
Doug DePew
Apr 30, 2011 Doug DePew rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone that enjoys military memoirs or military history
Kregg P. J. Jorgenson writes with such gritty realism, that it's almost like being there in the steaming jungles of Vietnam. I was an Infantryman in a different era, but I feel like I actually know all of the people he so realistically describes in the book. It's eery.

He carries us from his first days in country as a cherry, "shake and bake" sergeant, through his voluntary Ranger training to be a LRRP, through many harrowing patrols walking point on a LRRP team, and finally to the hospital in L
Jen
Jan 10, 2012 Jen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: keepers
I was dragging my heels to start reading this, because I'm not big on war books, movies, etc. I picked this book up because I know the author from work. All I can say is WOW. He is a fantastic writer. I'm only on Chapter 5 right now and I am hooked. This book is going to be a keeper, I can tell. God bless him and all of the other men and women who have defended out country, right or wrong, they did what needed to be done, sometimes giving their all, to keep us and our freedoms safe.

This book wa
Steve Woods
Jun 22, 2012 Steve Woods rated it really liked it
Shelves: vietnam-war
This guy really did have a story tell. I served in the same area with elements of the 25th Division at the same time he was there. Nothing quite as dramatic as his experiences, but it was a kind of weird experience reading this book being familiar with the battleground. It is a straight forward accpount by a frontline infantry combat soldier in the thick of it and that came through. The story was true to that experience and showed so well the effects of combat stress on a young mind. He returned ...more
Ian
Apr 16, 2015 Ian rated it really liked it
Jorgenson is known as the 'Sergeant who walks point' and according to his comrades has 'balls that clank'. After after a brief stint as a LURP, he joins an Air Cav. unit that specializes in rescue and recovery of downed helicopter crews and as a rapid response unit to engage enemy forces. You can't get much more dangerous than this in the Vietnam war.

In spite of this, this is no macho monologue. The writing style is easy-going and Jorgenson is a very insightful young soldier.

Overall a good grit
Keith Cofield
Jul 11, 2014 Keith Cofield rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent read

The author does a fine job of the FNGs initial starry eyed, ' We're here to stop communism and like my Dad in WWII, I'm proud to do my job', enthusiasm. Then the slow letdown as we read about how ' Great' we were being supported by our wonderful, patriotic citizens ( waving NVA FLAGS and carrying placards calling their beloved American troopers, baby- killers, war mongerers and other compliments)and government back home! ( hope the sarcasm came through) How we ended up fighting to
Missi
Aug 17, 2016 Missi rated it it was amazing
This was a really interesting, informative read. I've found that books on the Vietnam War can be somewhat arduous (for lack of a better term) , as they stay on one story for too long. This book kept right on moving and I couldn't put it down!
Sheryl
Oct 02, 2011 Sheryl rated it really liked it
A very good true story about Vietnam. My brother died before I took the time to ask him about his personal story. This is one of the ways I am making up for that.
Sydney
Jun 05, 2013 Sydney rated it really liked it
This is an amazing story !! It gave me first person insight on the Vietnam war and the soldiers lives. The main character is a real hero
Donald R  Riccomini
Donald R Riccomini rated it it was amazing
Jul 03, 2015
Kath
Kath rated it it was amazing
Apr 06, 2012
Mr S J Walton
Mr S J Walton rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2016
Neal Goldstein
Neal Goldstein rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2016
Mari
Mari rated it liked it
Jun 02, 2016
Kenneth
Kenneth rated it liked it
Apr 13, 2016
Ken Wheeler
Ken Wheeler rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2010
Peter Van
Peter Van rated it it was ok
Jun 04, 2015
Mark
Mark rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2015
Robert Johnstone
Robert Johnstone rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2014
Sarah Niswanger
Sarah Niswanger rated it it was amazing
Oct 28, 2008
G Ream
Jul 04, 2016 G Ream rated it really liked it
another war story - sad situation
Greg Romane
Greg Romane rated it it was amazing
Oct 03, 2012
Claire Melgaard
Claire Melgaard rated it liked it
Apr 28, 2012
Phil Wheat
Phil Wheat rated it really liked it
Oct 07, 2014
BARRY
BARRY rated it really liked it
Aug 01, 2016
Nathan
Nathan rated it really liked it
May 28, 2016
Bill Elston
Bill Elston rated it really liked it
Oct 16, 2014
kellie yoder
kellie yoder rated it really liked it
Jul 15, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Killing Zone: My Life in the Vietnam War
  • Hill 488
  • Blood on the Risers: An Airborne Soldier's Thirty-five Months in Vietnam
  • SOG: Secret Wars of America's Commandos in Vietnam
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • Reflections of a Warrior: Six Years as a Green Beret in Vietnam