Start by marking “Doctor Death (Alex Delaware, #14)” as Want to Read:
Doctor Death (Alex Delaware, #14)

Doctor Death (Alex Delaware #14)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  8,428 ratings  ·  161 reviews
Dr Eldon Mate, aka Doctor Death, has been the bane of the Los Angeles DA's existence, the bête noir of all opposed to assisted suicide and the angel of mercy to countless "travellers" who have found their reward via Mate's dubious vocation. He's also turned up in the back of his van, attached to his own death-dealing "Humanitron" machine and too far away from most of his b ...more
Published 2001 by Warner Books (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Doctor Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doctor Death

Viji Sarath (Bookish endeavors)
Shocking. Gripping. Page-turner.
I was expecting something in the line of Val McDermid but this turned out to be completely different. Towards the end,I couldn't even comprehend it and I guessed it would have been better if I didn't. But no use in closing one's eyes to what's happening around,I guess. Entirely different from most of the books in the genre,Kellerman does it again. My first read of him,'On the edge',made quite an impression on me. And it's the same with this one too. Looking forwar
aPriL eVoLvEs
Another one in the series that feels a bit like two stories pinned together in order to create an interesting plot. It was interesting, but in the end too contrived because of the plot pasting. Still, definitely interesting.

Lulu
sigh. I keep reading these books, but I confess I cannot stand Alex Delaware. I find him (and his partner, Robin), dull as ditchwater. On the other hand, I LOVE Milo (particularly performed by John Rubinstein in the audio books), and I suppose his character is the reason for my continuing to read/listen to this series. The stories aren't bad, either. ;)

Maureen
Not my favorite Alex Delaware book, the whole premise was a bit contrived, but I still liked it. I think it's because I love the character of Alex Delaware and also his best friend Milo. Love how they play off each other. I also enjoy reading the inner struggle that Alex Delaware goes through...each mystery forming a little piece of his being.
Maureen Bauer
I really enjoyed this book and especially the ending. It has an exciting surprise ending, I couldn't put it down! I would recommend this to anyone!
Mike Jensen
What a horrible book. My touchstone is the Spencer series by Robert B. Parker. Every second or third chapter, it seems, Parker writes a dull scene between the detective and his psychologist girlfriend. They discuss the case. These scenes seldom move the story forward are the low-points of each book. Imagine an entire book told from the psychologist’s perspective and you have this novel, for the protagonist is a psychologist who works with the police.

Aside from this problem, the book is given to
Andy
Pure junk.

Rarely does anything happen during the course of the story; most of the intrigue involves people sitting around talking about what's already happened, what's already been uncovered and investigated, and theorizing about what it means or what they don't know for sure. Then later someone admits to the thing they theorized about before, with few events actually occurring in the present. Dullsville.

Plus the description. Any time a new character or location is introduced he goes on and on a
Marina Robbins
Meh. Who done it. You got me, Mr. Kellerman. Didn't see that one coming especially since I was bored to tears. At least throw in an expert here or there who intimately profiles serial killers. Give me something I can cling to. Instead I was tossed back and forth with the protagonist doing all the tossing! Alex Delaware doesn't seem to like his job, his wife, his role in this tale and it all felt sophomoric. I don't think I'll be reading Kellerman's work again. But what do I know.
Yolande
Antonia Jackson
Set in Hollywood with Milo and Alex stretched to find who murdered a twisted doctor who assisted terminally ill people die assisted by two drugs-, thiopental/tranquilliser and potassium chloride/heart attack. Tension caused by Alex helping someone's daughter whose family members becomes suspects since her mother was assisted to die. So many possibilities- unacknowledged son? copycat psychopath with thinning hair and bushy facial hair? angry relatives? pensioned off FBI agent/parent of victim? hi ...more
Neji Dizon
Hahah! The first book that I was done reading when I still waiting for a job for a years after and the reason why'd I kept on buying your Alex Delaware Novel, although this case still finding closure, at least some of your piece well done! When I see a "whodunit" term I know it was Milo's entry chit-chat with Alex. Hahaha!
Puddlediving
14th in a series, yet the first Jonathan Kellerman novel I've read. I enjoyed it, it was balanced with individual character development and story development. I really enjoyed the nuances of having several plausible suspects, and needing to really stick it out to discover the guilty party.
Jacque
I must say that I only read this book because someone gave it to me. I thought the mystery was satisfying and surprising in it's conclusion. I didn't really enjoy all the twists and turns of the of the pschologist's personal life, but all in all it was a complicated and suspenseful.
Chris
Dec 31, 2013 Chris rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chris by: Jonathan kellerman...
from another reviewer: The real life story behind the fictional book is the real Dr. Jack Kevorkian. I agree with Kellerman - there is a time in order for doctors to relieve suffering to compassionately euthanize dying patients that rationally request it, but Kevorkian, who Kellerman's Dr. Death character was modeled from, seemed to me less interested in compassion and more interested in playing God for self-gratification and publicity. He probably helped some people more than he hurt them becau ...more
Rosemarie Bentgen
Kellerman does it again for me!! Satisfying to come back to a favorite author that you save for when you need a break. Dr. Death of the title and his attorney ar somewhat based on the publicity seeking due of Jack Kevorkian and Geoffry Feiger. when the doctor is murdered in a method reminiscent of his Assisted Suicide. This affords Alex opportunity to explore the ethics and morality of euthanasia and some of the results of legalization abroad. The ensuing search for the murderer leads into explo ...more
Lilanthi
Very interesting read. My first of Dr. Alex Delv. Much lighter than my usual crime reads. Love anything with a psychology angle.
confes half way through I was wondring why we have to go through details of an unknown charactor, when detective Milo and Dr. Alex were all set to solve the mystery with a number of crime suspencts around town.
But the twist at the end was unexpected and brilliant. Everything tied up nicely.
Lorraine Roberge
Curve ball ending

Curve ball ending

I found this to be a little slow and confusing in the beginning but as I read further and got into it more I became hooked on it and couldn't put it down. I just love his books. can't wait to read the next in the series.
Hayley Shaver
This is a must have for any Jonathan Kellerman/ Alex Delaware fan. This is one of Kellerman's best. It leads you in circles with so many suspects pretty soon you see all the characters in the book as potential killers. The ending will surprise you, and make you think.
Danielle Ricci
This was a great book, like all Kellerman novels I got very into the whole story. It was better in the way of keeping me guessing. Some novels don't keep my attention because they make it too easy to know who did it.
Lisa Keating
I'm hooked. All the Alex Delaware books are so interesting. I never get tired of the surprise endings either. This was another great read, I really enjoy the Alex Delaware Character and never get tired of his interesting life!
Eliana
My favorite Dr. Delaware, in a series of psychological crime thrillers! Great co-protagonist in the form of Milo Sturgis. Always a clever psychological component to the varying plot lines.
Clare
Very interesting topic which Im sure would split people right down the middle. Im not sure which way I would go and hopefully I would never be in a situation were I would have to make a decision like that.
Book was very good though.
Morris Maram
What can I say? I am a loyal reader. I find an author that I like and then try and read all the books that he has written. I find all his books enjoyable and nice reads
Jewett
This one is back on track and while the mystery is great, it isn't creepy like The Web. The characters are good and you see a different type of criminal in this one.
Lynn
Mar 19, 2014 Lynn rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Dr. Alex Delaware is a psychologist who helps out a friend of his, Detective Milo Sturgis. The two of them work really well together solving cases.
In this case a well known euthansia champion, Dr. Death, is found murdered. We travel along with them as they check out people and other sources. We also see Dr. Alex at work with a patient named Stacy. Her father is accused of hiring someone to kill Dr. Death. An FBI agent talks to Alex and Milo. He gets Alex interested in another suspect, who has ki
Kelly Mahaney
Fun murder mystery. Story of the death of a doctor that was responsible for the death of terminal patients.
Scoobyyatto
I read this book years ago but forgot about the ending. I liked this book, but I enjoyed it more the first time I read it. Would recommend to others who are Kellerman fans.
Judy
Overly drawn out. Creepy. But then anything having to do with psychology usually is.
Antigone
Very well written, interesting plot. All in all I couldn't put it down.
Kyle Anderson
Didn't really catch me for a long time, plus wasn't too excited by the end.
  • Stalker (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #12)
  • Tongue Tied (Donald Strachey, #8)
  • Remote Control (Alan Gregory, #5)
  • Praying for Sleep
Jonathan Kellerman was born in New York City in 1949 and grew up in Los Angeles. He helped work his way through UCLA as an editorial cartoonist, columnist, editor and freelance musician. As a senior, at the age of 22, he won a Samuel Goldwyn Writing Award for fiction.

Like his fictional protagonist, Alex Delaware, Jonathan received at Ph.D. in psychology at the age of 24, with a specialty in the t
More about Jonathan Kellerman...

Alex Delaware (1 - 10 of 31 books)
  • When the Bough Breaks (Alex Delaware, #1)
  • Blood Test (Alex Delaware, #2)
  • Over the Edge (Alex Delaware, #3)
  • Silent Partner (Alex Delaware, #4)
  • Time Bomb (Alex Delaware, #5)
  • Private Eyes (Alex Delaware, #6)
  • Devil's Waltz (Alex Delaware, #7)
  • Bad Love (Alex Delaware, #8)
  • Self-Defense (Alex Delaware, #9)
  • The Web (Alex Delaware, #10)
When the Bough Breaks (Alex Delaware, #1) Deception (Alex Delaware, #25) Victims (Alex Delaware, #27) Time Bomb (Alex Delaware, #5) Silent Partner (Alex Delaware, #4)