Start by marking “My Greek Drama: Life, Love, and One Woman's Olympic Effort to Bring Glory to Her Country” as Want to Read:

Standing alone in the VIP box of the Olympic Games in 2004, Gianna Angelopoulos began to dance. The world had doubted Greece’s ability to successfully stage this global event. She danced to celebrate the efforts of all Greeks—and her own—to host a phenomenally successful games, an effort that showed the world a new Greece, a Greece worthy of its illustrious heritage.

Little
Published May 8th 2013 by Greenleaf Book Group Press (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about My Greek Drama, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Greek Drama

Dimitra♠
Aug 10, 2016 Dimitra♠ marked it as to-read
Aww poor baby!
description

Claire
Jun 22, 2013 Claire rated it it was ok
I received My Greek Drama as part of a Goodreads giveaway.

In it, Gianna Angelopoulos recounts her life in Greece, focusing upon her political career, particularly her struggles balancing her political life with her identity as a woman and young mother, and her role in leading the planning and execution of the Athens 2004 Olympics. She closes with some thoughts on Greece's current economic situation and how, in her view, it can be remedied.

It's a fascinating story, and hearing how Mrs. Angelopoul
Filip
Oct 26, 2014 Filip rated it did not like it
Not a drama, but a farce. My feelings for the author as I went through this book went from irritation, anger, scorn to pity. The woman comes across as a delusional megalomaniac, a gold digger and possibly a psychopath. No doubt she made things happen, but you leave this book thinking it was only done through bullying, flirting and conniving. Her name-dropping is preposterous, her management style is atrocious ("never tell your employees the big picture; it will distract them from their tasks") ...more
 wade
Jun 11, 2013 wade rated it really liked it
When someone sits down to write an autobiography a person has to have two things - and interesting story to tell and a bit of an over sized ego that people want to hear what you have to say. Ms. Angelopoulos has both. Her primary claim to fame is that she was the driving force and architect to help bring the 2004 Olympics to Athens, Greece and make them a success and I certainly applaud her for this. It really was a tremendous testament to her work ethic and fortitude. I also learned a lot ...more
Shay
***Received Copy From Author***

Wish I could have rated this as 3.5 Stars. Although her accomplishments are something to be proud of, I just could not get over the fact that she claimed everything for herself. There is a fine line between pride and just plain bragging. She takes full effort for her wins even though I'm sure many people know that it takes serious preparation from a team. It lagged in some parts but it was also a good read.

A great and important piece of history, especially for Gre
Fredrick Danysh
Jun 18, 2013 Fredrick Danysh rated it really liked it
Mrs. Angelopoulos writes a nice biography of a woman growing up in Greece. As a participant of the Greek Olympic Committee she gives insight into the selection of the host cities. I enjoyed that she gave some family background instead of being the usual ME, ME, ME biography. You can tell that she is not a professional writer but is writing from the heart. This was a free advance reading gift from the author.
Annamarie
Jun 18, 2013 Annamarie rated it liked it
I received this book for review and I was very excited to start on a new journey in my literary quest to try new genres. This memoir started off with the beginnings of a promising politician from Greece. Here Gianna Angelopoulos will share not only her story but the story of the struggles of a bankrupt country and their uphill battle to win back the summer Olympics.
We are given a bit of background on past generations eventually leading up to her entry into this world, and how she grew up as one
Margaret
I received a copy of My Greek Drama as part of a GoodReads First Reads giveaway.

Giana Angelopoulos is a somewhat typical driven woman. Her family history and young life are caught up with the culture and history of Crete, and she feels herself destined for greatness, probably as an ambassador, and refuses to take no for an answer. Through her legal career, run for local office, and involvement in the 2004 Athens Olympics, Angelopoulos goes through personal turmoil as well as political betrayal
Michelle Connolly
Oct 26, 2014 Michelle Connolly rated it it was amazing
From the very first paragraph I was hooked on this book. Gianna begins by telling the readers about her beautiful childhood in the quaint area of Crete as a young Greek girl. Her drive and passion for everything she sets her mind to are astounding. Gianna's childhood dream of becoming the first woman ambassador, and the details of how she accomplished this are captivating. Gianna forced her way through money and gender barriers to accomplish her dream, a message all can take away from reading ...more
Eleftheria
Ομολογώ ότι ποτέ δεν τη συμπάθησα. Σίγουρα όμως την εκτίμησα μέσα από το έργο της για την Ολυμπιάδα του 2004 κι εξακολουθούσε να μου φαίνεται άκρως αντιπαθητικά.

Αν κι είχα πολλές αμφιβολίες για το αν έπρεπε να μπω στον κόπο να ξεφυλλίσω καν την αυτοβιογραφία της, ομολογώ ότι με κέρδισε από τις πρώτες σελίδες! Κυριολεκτικά το ρούφηξα!

Μία ιστορία ελληνική. Με χιούμορ και απόλυτη ειλικρίνεια (ή τουλάχιστον έτσι φαίνεται). Ξανάζησα την καλύτερη περίοδο της σύγχρονης ιστορίας μας αλλά πραγματικά πόνε
Lissa
Aug 08, 2013 Lissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Gianna Angelopoulos can list many accomplishments, including successful management of the Athens Olympic Games. Born into a middle-class family, through hard work and determination she worked her way through law school, government positions, a high-profile marriage and as President of the Olympics organizing committee. She offers wonderful insight into her management and communication skills.

This is a well written book but as with anyone writing a memoir, there is a certain amount of self-congr
Jim Cabaj
Jun 26, 2013 Jim Cabaj rated it it was amazing
As a volunteer with Chicago 2016, I was so disappointed when Chicago lost the host bid for the Olympics. When I heard Gianna Angelopoulos wrote her autobiography, I knew I had to read it. I enjoyed this candid autobiography of the girl from Crete that got on the world stage with the Olympics in Athens.

I loved how Giannna described her youth and her rise due to love of reading and education. One of my favorite chapters was called A Touch of Basil which talks about her start in politics and all ob
JC
Aug 31, 2013 JC rated it liked it
I'd never heard of Gianna before reading this book, but it turns out shes a pretty well known woman that made the Greek Olympics happen. I didn't see any of the Greek Olympics when they happened, so can't say how the Olympics ran, but based off of what I've heard, they were successful. I suspect that the only reason they happened was because of Gianna though - sounds like Greece was a pretty big mess before she agreed to take over.

The writing in this was a little rough at times and I think that
Kelly W
Jun 20, 2013 Kelly W rated it really liked it
It's been said that if you want to get something done, ask a woman. Gianna Angelopoulos was the right woman ( and perhaps the only person ) to undertake the Herculean task of bringing the Olympic Games to Athens and making them successful. I remember this particular Olympics and hearing the backstory was fascinating. Considering the dysfunctional government, the corruption and the "we'll do it tomorrow" attitudes she faced, it's all the more amazing she got anything done at all. She nearly ...more
Jan
Aug 03, 2013 Jan rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Very interesting non-fiction, that I won from Goodreads.

Written by Gianna Angelopoulos, who won the bid for Greece for the 2004 Olympics, and went on to lead Athens in actually getting the games ready - all the venues built, the ceremonies planned, the infrastructure ready etc.

It is a first person account of the amount of work involved, and all the political infighting that went on too. Gianna finishes by expressing her disappointment as to how Greece failed to capitalize on the patriotism and
Diane
Aug 04, 2013 Diane rated it liked it
Shelves: autobiography
I always look forward to the new books sent me through the Goodreads Giveaway program. When I started to read this selection, I was immediately drawn into the style of prose... I felt like Gianna was sitting across from me at a small cafe table and just talking about her life.

That continued throughout the book, but once past the travelogue setting of Greece and Crete, I became disenchanted with her life, as told from her perspective. So much about what she had done, not that it isn't inspiring,
Erin
Jun 30, 2014 Erin rated it really liked it
I graciously received a signed copy from the authors through a first reads giveaway win.

Gianna is an inspirational woman who shows that if you work hard, you can have it all. I also love that she married a powerful man and together they make a power couple. This was one of those times where I cheered when she married someone with tons of money, because she is not someone who thinks she's entitled, she proves her worth!

This book also gave me a brief insight into how corrupt the Greek government i
Laurie Reilly
Jul 15, 2013 Laurie Reilly rated it it was ok
I agree with what most of the other reviewers are saying. Yes, she accomplished a lot in her life, but I felt that she bragged and talked herself up way too much. It seems she accomplished everything (including "my Olympics") by herself and every time something didn't go well it was because they didn't listen to her. She also bragged about her wealth a lot. Who needs to know you were wearing a Hermes scarf or what art you have in your home? I thought the concept of the book sounded very ...more
Madonna
Jun 24, 2013 Madonna rated it liked it
I enjoyed reading the book; but thought the author was a little over the top in bragging about her accomplishments. She had a lot of help with this, no matter that she did not really credit anyone else.

While I enjoyed reading about the Greek Olympics, there was too little information about Greece and too many pictures of Gianna for my taste. I love history and was a little disappointed.

I received this book from goodreads for free and do believe the author cares about Greece, but really too much
Liz V.
Jun 21, 2013 Liz V. rated it really liked it
Angelopoulos details her successful efforts to bring the Olympics to Greece in 2004 and then to save the Games when preparations lag. Underlying all descriptions is Angelopoulos' frustration that the spirit of the Greek people arising from the Games has been dissipated by the politicians. To her, it comes as no great surprise but nonetheless a disappointment that the politicians' self interest continue so unabated as to allow Greece to sink into the financial swamp that prevails today. ...more
Christel
Aug 16, 2013 Christel rated it liked it
Shelves: won-done
I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads. Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to review this. This is a great insider's story on the Olympics like I've never seen in print or an TV. If you're a fan of the Olympics, you will find this very interesting, but I think that it would have been better if a 3rd party could have had the author pull back and be a bit more balanced about the roles of others both good and bad. That's why I gave it a 3 rather than a 4. It's good, but it ...more
Aug 12, 2016 Laura rated it it was ok
It was interesting to see all that goes into hosting the Olympic games. Angelopoulos leaves one wondering how any country manages to do it without her.
I quickly grew tired of her name-dropping, constant references to her (husband's) wealth, and feeling that only she could save the Olympics and redeem her beloved Greece. She all but ignored her family for six years and considers the 55% divorce rate among her employees as collateral damage.
Overall, I was impressed with the Olympics, but underwh
Joy
Aug 19, 2013 Joy rated it really liked it
I received this book from GoodReads first reads. This was a quick read, as Gianna tells the story of her childhood, then moves to her professional life. She thinks very highly of herself, and while I won't deny that she is a hard worker, some of her success certainly comes from marrying well. She is often disparaging of Greeks, and their ability to make think, while I believe she is being truthful, I think perhaps a diplomat should be more diplomatic. I did enjoy the insight of what goes into ...more
Elizabeth
Jul 05, 2013 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
I won this book in a goodreads giveaway. I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. The only thing I didn't really like was the parts when the author kept mentioning stuff she talked about before but this happened mostly in the beginning and at the end so it wasn't too bad. A very interesting book and Gianna sounds like a very fascinating woman who knows how to get things done and doesn't think anything is impossible.
Joan
Mar 25, 2015 Joan rated it really liked it
I felt this book was well written. It was easy to follow - much better than many memoirs I have read. She was a powerful woman, bringing together a nation to accomplish a large task. She stood up to leaders who were used to having their way. She names people who were corrupt, which, I am sure, irritated many in the political arena in Greece. She is not afraid to sing her own praises, but she accomplished much. I recommend this book to help people understand the current situation in Greece.
Harriet Smith
Jul 30, 2015 Harriet Smith rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Having some Greek heritage in my background was my initial interest in reading this memoir. As it turned out, that made it a bit more interesting but seeing the author as a strong woman with international ties solving multitudes of problems made it even better. I would recommend this for reading groups as well as perhaps college classes in women's studies with an international bent.
Daphne
Jul 11, 2015 Daphne rated it liked it
As a Greek American I found this book to be a perfect read during the Greek financial crisis. It really gives you insight on how corrupt and ineffective most of the Greek government is. The author shared a detailed description of bringing the Olympics in 2004 to Greece with great success for such a small country.
Stephanie
Jun 15, 2013 Stephanie rated it liked it
I got this as a goodreads giveaway and I really didn't know what to expect. It was really an interesting story. I don't remember the Greek Olympics but this really gives you some insight of what it takes to get an Olympics put together. I wish I would have know a little more of the backstory, there seemed to be more to the story than what was being said.
Dolly
Aug 23, 2013 Dolly rated it really liked it
I won this on good reads.

An inspiring biography about a woman who made thing things happen in her life and for her country. Yes, there is a lot of ego and pride in this book, but for any woman to be successful she must have more gumption than a man would. Her insights on the self-centered politicians and political parties are equally applicable to this country as to Greece.
Nick Politakis
Jul 01, 2013 Nick Politakis rated it really liked it
This was a very interesting read. She is quite a woman and I admire her immensely. I think the book could have been more than what she was wearing when she Did this or hat. She could have been more detailed about her personal issues but overall it left me knowing a lo more about her and what she Did for Greece. We need more women like her to step forward. The world would be a better place.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • A Personal Message From God
  • The Real Verdict: My Quest for the Freedom I Never Had
  • Business Brilliant: Surprising Lessons from the Greatest Self-Made Business Icons
  • The Infinite Resource: The Power of Ideas on a Finite Planet
  • All The Wild Children: A noir memoir
  • Finding God in the Dark: Faith, Disappointment, and the Struggle to Believe
  • a beautiful mess
  • Changeology: 5 Steps to Realizing Your Goals and Resolutions
  • Mission of the Messiah: On the Gospel of Luke
  • Unconscionable (Richard Coleman, #3)
  • Happier Endings: A Meditation On Life And Death
  • Gabriella and Dr. Duggan's Secret Dimensional Transport Machine (NuGen, #1)
  • Consuming the Word: The New Testament and the Eucharist in the Early Church
  • Where You Can Find Me
  • Mania: The Story of the Outraged and Outrageous Lives That Launched a Cultural Revolution
  • Pope Francis in His Own Words
  • The Caretaker (Ranjit Singh, #1)
  • The Civil War in 50 Objects
Gianna Angelopoulos-Daskalaki (born Ioanna Daskalaki) is a Greek business woman. She is best known for being the president of the bidding and organizing committee for the 2004 Summer Olympics in Athens, Greece. She was named one of the 50 most powerful women by Forbes magazine.
More about Gianna Angelopoulos...