Start by marking “Light” as Want to Read:
Light

Light

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  145 ratings  ·  60 reviews
Kieran Quinn is a bit telepathic, a little psychokinetic, and very gay—three things that have gotten him through life perfectly well so far—but when self-styled prophet Wyatt Jackson arrives during Pride Week, things take a violent turn.

Kieran’s powers are somewhat underwhelming but do have a habit of refracting light into spectacular rainbows for him to hide behind. Even
Published October 15th 2013 by Bold Strokes Books (first published October 13th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Light, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Light

Try by Ella FrankThe Magpie Lord by K.J. CharlesPrince's Gambit - Captive Prince by C.S. PacatGlitterland by Alexis  HallSocial Skills by Sara Alva
Best M/M Book by a Debut Author of 2013
62nd out of 121 books — 758 voters
I'll Be Your Drill, Soldier by Crystal RoseShattered Glass by Dani AlexanderCut & Run by Abigail RouxTell Me It's Real by T.J. KluneSno Ho by Ethan Day
The Best Humorous Gay Romances
179th out of 419 books — 1,003 voters

More lists with this book...

Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
**4.5 stars**

This book should be way, way more popular. It deserves a cult following, honestly. And ignore that cover... it makes the book seem too mature. It is really fresher and lighter than that. This book is the whole package- edited well, a great story, and really, really funny.

I read a lot of paranormals and they often can feel tired or cheesy. This was paranormal romance done right. In fact, it reminded me a bit of "PsyCop" (<---- huge complement!) in terms of the world-building and t
julio
a mixed bag. which is also on fire.

description

some good scenes, with tenderness and humor and pathos—but they were overshadowed, for me, by a tendency to blunder into irritating imbalance.

in other words, i liked parts of it, but then i always got annoyed.

little problems with the prose—suggestions of slut-shaming, various unnecessary details—combined with a truly unflattering characterization of the MC as a vapidly judgmental twat who couldn't think his way out of a wet paper bag.

the plot was clumsy, and th
Natasha
3.25 stars!

!SPOILERS!

Okay. This one is tricky to rate because some elements in it are fantastic, and others are a little silly.

SCORE BOARD:
in true Kieran fashion

+ 5 points: amazing characters. amazing. their personalities shone through brighter than any discoball in the sky
+ 3 points: hilarious. witty, unique, hilarious main characters
+ 3 points: unique world building. it's like x-men. *ponders* yes, it's essentially x-men
+ 5 points: BIG HOT LEATHER FRENCH-CANADIAN DADDY? yes fucking please.
+ 3
MLE
I received a copy of this book as an ARC through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I really enjoyed this story. The plot was engaging, and I appreciated that there wasn't a love triangle. I loved the tone, and mood of the story. The writing style was nice, and fit the mood of the story really well.

The characters were well drawn, and interesting. I liked that Kieran never felt too dark, or angsty. It made for a refreshing change from many stories of this genre. It was nice seeing that Ki
Nathan Sims
'Nathan Burgoine Ruined My Weekend

So Saturdays and Sundays are kind of sacred to me. My workweek is filled with high demands and equally high expectations. It’s enough to make me cast a grateful prayer to the heavens and beat a fast retreat home when Friday night rolls around.

Weekends are a time with my partner and taking our dogs on long walks to make up for the short ones we cram in during the week. They’re time with friends. They’re time to use my bike for something other than commuting back
Lena♥Ribka

It was an enjoyable, light and funny read. Not something that will stay with you for a long time, but charming and delightful enough to keep your attention throughout the story or to satisfy a critical reader.

I probably would have liked it more if I had read it in one sitting, without interruptions, and probably even much more if I'd considered myself a paranormal genre-lover.

If you're a paranormal fan and looking for something easy and funny, if you like pets in your books and have nothing aga
Laurali
I'm making it my mission to get this book into as many hands as I can.

This is such a wonderful story! I loved reading it. (It certainly made waiting in the airport bearable.) I quickly grew fond of Kieran and his sense of humor. His inner monolog is fabulous...and I love his reaction to events.

When I finished reading this, my first thought was, "I hope Burgoine writes another novel about these two, because I want to see them again." I defy anyone to not enjoy meeting these characters, especially
Cindi

Full review can be found at On Top Down Under Book Reviews.

What a fun book. Telekinesis, drag queens, a leather guy, a cute cat, a very friendly dog, a funny best friend and two very lovable main characters. Throw in Gay Pride Week, a psychotic preacher and his misguided followers and you can't go wrong with this book. The characters are a blast. The story is very entertaining from the very first page. I laughed quite a bit. I cringed once or twice. In the end, I was very glad I read t
JustJen "Miss Conduct"

4.5 stars Review written for The Blog of Sid Love

What a refreshing read. This was a fabulous paranormal story that takes place in Canada during Pride week. Kieran is a really funny young gay masseuse who takes a week of vacation to enjoy all that Pride week has to offer.

Kieran is also Telekinetic with a side of Telepathy. He has grown up with it but mostly practices his skills with the help of his cat, Easter, by moving his toys around the room to play with him. Every time he uses his Telekineti
Experiment BL626
This book was fun! It’s the second time in a row I used that word in a review, and it’s the second time in a row it’s for a book from a publisher (Bold Strokes Books) I have poor luck with! I want to say “used to have poor luck with” here but let’s not jinx it.

+ the hero

The hero was both a big negative and a big positive. Kieran was a big negative because he acted recklessly a handful of times, and I had half a mind to label him TSTL. He deliberately put himself in danger with little preparation
Rebekah Weatherspoon
4-4.5 Stars. Goodreads really should look into half stars. This book was so much fun. I mean it. Fun x40andahalf. Kieran is a massage therapist by day and accidental super hero... by day and night when he uses is telekinetic powers to save the LGBT citizen of Ottawa from a villain with similar capabilities.

This is Burgione's first full length novel. I've inhaled this book in one day. I haven't done that in a while. The pacing is excellent. The plot is excellent. I mean a gay guy uses his powers
Amy
It's Gay Pride week in Ottawa, Canada, and Kieran Quinn has arranged his vacation accordingly so he can attend as many events as possible. It's a good thing, too, because his psychokinetic powers are suddenly very much required. Stigmatic Jack, a preacher, and his followers have shown up to protest - no big surprise to the gay community - but the unexpected carnage is definitely new. Psychic as well as psychokinetic, Kieran hears the chilling voice commanding the horrible, psychokinetic acts of ...more
Gay Pride in Canada with a super hero that bends light. This book was fun, cute and sweet without being overly sexual as so many M/M book tend to be these days. The main character,Kieran, is so cute, and I truly enjoyed the secondary cast of characters. This book was well written and edited. It kept me completely entertained.
The book even surprised me with the twist at the end. I love that in a book.

Received reviewer copy from NetGalley.
Silkeeeeee
Very imaginative twist on the paranormal. Well, paranormal versus the bigoted fanatics that drive us all crazy. It's really not much of a romance and definitely not a hot kind of story. Strictly a very different way of taking down the bad guys. Enjoyable.
Karen
"Well Holy Cow Batman, did you see that?"
"Why no Robin, I didn't I was blinded by the Light!"
Sorry, just had to get that out of my system. This book was a total surprise. I really had no idea what to expect. It was recommended to me by the lovely Heather. Thanks Heather.

It was fun, I adored characters especially Kieran and Easter, Sebastien and Pilot and of course Karen. I loved that it was set in Ottawa, Canada's capital. Having been there several times just helped to make this story more vivid
Cari
I will state at the beginning of my review of LIGHT that I am not a member of the target audience for the book...or the genre. I am a married, middle-aged (straight) woman with two children. That being said: LIGHT has lessons which are appropriate for anyone, anywhere.

Kieran is very human. The way he thinks, feels...screws up...and loves are very honest, very human (as well as charming) characteristics. I found myself chuckling over several things the character said...as well as regarding the ca
Pjm12
This is utterly charming, cleverly paced with lots of action and suspense. The hero, Keirin, is such a great voice. He is witty and self-depreciating. He loves his cat,= and his job, and his not-so-mild super powers (that he has kept hidden), result in him getting involved in some nasty dealings by a group of religious freaks out to destroy Pride Week in Ottawa.

His best friend Karen (Kierin & Karen? hmm) is an Aries and such a terrific inclusion. In fact, all the secondary characters are dep
Lala
The cover doesn't match this story at all. It's actually a funny and light read, with a likable MC, some suspense and intriguing psychic stuff thrown in.

I would gladly read a sequel of this.
Stephen King
Charming, fun and full of characters you can't help but love. Imagine if Armistead Maupin wrote X-Men comics. Highly recommended.
Free_dreamer
This book was simply amazing. "Light" was funny, unique and had me hooked in absolutely no time.
I liked Kieran from the very first sentence. He has a telepathic bond with his cat (Seriously, how awesome is that?), having created certain images and signals to represent the various activities in a cat's life. Other than that, he only uses his (all in all rather underwhelming) powers on his clients to find out where and why they are sore, making it a lot easier for him to massage those aches and pa
Mark Lancaster
I have read 'Nathan Burgoine's debut novel, Light, since it was published. I really enjoyed it. I won't precis it here, since you can read the blurb online and I don't want to spoil it for anyone. I didn't really understand (okay, I didn't understand at all) the whole bending light to make different colours or that stars shining red or blue depending on something or other, but my lack of a scientific brain didn't impede my enjoyment of the story. I won't spoil it, but it was rather a fun read. I ...more
Bruce
A totally charming story about a gay, Canadian superhero that is equal parts adventure and romance. As advertised, it is winningly campy and funny but no less believable and relate-able for it. This is a delightful read that you won't regret.
Kevin Klehr
All through history there's been a strange scourge of Fundamentalists hiding behind misquoted religion to justify their hate crimes. Welcome to 'Light'.

With such an apt title it reminds us that even in certain Western cultures, faith plays too big a role. Enter the perfect villain, Stigmatic Jack, who seems to be hearing the voice of God to justify his violent attacks on the GBLT community.

Fortunately, Kieran, an out and proud gay man, can also hear that voice claiming to be God. You see, Kieran
Kimberly [Come Hither Books]
An enjoyable, light superhero story that was a lot of fun to read. With an openly gay and proud main character and events taking place over the course of Pride Week, it will find a welcome home with readers looking for LGBT characters, especially in science fiction and fantasy.

Characters are well-developed and multi-layered, and it's easy to root for them to find happiness. The romance isn't the driving force of the book, but it's a strong and satisfying element in the mix of good vs. evil, char
Indie Reviews

Review Rating: 4.5 stars

I’ve been a fan of ‘Nathan Burgoine’s short fiction since reading his first published story “Heart” in the critically acclaimed anthology Fool For Love: New Gay Fiction . To say that I eagerly awaited the release of Light, the author’s first novel, is a bit of an understatement. As it turns out my anticipation and excitement were well founded.

In Light, Mr. Burgoine brings together elements of several sub-genres including, action/adventure, fantasy/urban fantasy, horror,
Lamar Latrell
Really, the worst thing about the book was that it was so short.

A wonderfully flawed hero, a twist villain that's obvious, but enjoyable enough that the fact that he's one-dimensional is completely acceptable. A typical, "we have to work together to defeat the bad guy/together we're stronger than the sum of our individual parts" climax. Believable setting and (aside from the superhero/supervillain aspect) characters.

But the thing that sold me on the book was the fact that I could preview a sampl
Ilona
Complimentary Review Copy Provided by Publisher Through NetGalley. Yet another superhero story that hit the mark! This time it's a telekinetic, telepath with a religious nutter to fight. The whole time I was reading I was smiling at the quips and angsting over the "can he, can't he win out against the villain whilst still trying to get his man" scenario. It was also a very refreshing change to read about a romance that was sweet rather than hot. If you like your superheroes to be very human an ...more
Angela
Nov 29, 2014 Angela rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
Charming and frothy and just a teensy bit spicy. But with depth. Yes, a book can have frothiness and depth at the same time, rather like the almond mocha lattes our hero Kieran continuously buys for his boss Karen. A fun quick read for a holiday weekend.
Are You Going to the Lambda Literary Awards? 1 13 May 30, 2014 06:29AM
What the Heck's a Loonie? 6 11 Apr 13, 2014 04:55PM
  • The Unwanted
  • Dead in the Desert (L.A. Paranormal, #3)
  • Hunter of Demons (Spectr, #1)
  • Don't Let Go (Tyack & Frayne, #3)
  • Spirit
  • Slasherazzi
  • Foolish Hearts: New Gay Fiction
  • Fish and Ghosts (Hellsinger, #1)
  • Bone Rider
  • Seven (The Others Project, #1)
  • Infected: Lesser Evils (Infected, #6)
  • The Affair of the Porcelain Dog (Ira Adler #1)
  • Bending The Iron
  • Split
  • Buried Bones (Bones #2)
  • Remnant: A Caldwell & Feximal/Whyborne & Griffin Mystery (The Secret Casebook of Simon Feximal; Whyborne & Griffin, #3.5)
  • Death by Silver
  • Hidden Gem

'Nathan Burgoine grew up a reader and studied literature in university while making a living as a bookseller. His first published short story was "Heart" in the collection Fool for Love: New Gay Fiction. Since then, he has had over two dozen short stories published, including This is How You Die (the second Machine of Death anthology).

His first novel, Light, is available from Bold Strokes Books an
More about Nathan Burgoine...
This is How You Die: Stories of the Inscrutable, Infallible, Inescapable Machine of Death (Machine of Death #2) Fool For Love: New Gay Fiction I Do, Two Night Shadows: Queer Horror The Lavender Menace: Tales of Queer Villainy!

“After all, if God had wanted men to fuck other men, he'd have given them dicks and shoved a G-spot up their assholes!” 1 likes