Start by marking “Scarlet Feather” as Want to Read:
Scarlet Feather

Scarlet Feather (Far Memory)

4.33  ·  Rating Details  ·  51 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
Piyan demanded new freedom and an end to her tribe’s sexual segregation and brutality. Trained and educated with the young braves, she develops strength and courage, and soon she will succeed the tribal chief—that is if she can at last overcome a series of ordeals which prove her worthy of the Scarlet Feather.
Published 1990 by Ariel Press (first published July 1st 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Scarlet Feather, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scarlet Feather

Trine
Feb 14, 2009 Trine rated it it was amazing
A wonderful story about two children being brought up with the special purpose of being able to make themselves and whoever wants to follow them free from the old and stiff ways of their tribe.
What I really like about this book is the insight in the very special culture among these Indians and the physical and psycological fights the two main characters have to get through in order to start on a fresh on behalf of the whole tribe.
Jay Northcote
Sep 21, 2013 Jay Northcote rated it it was amazing
I read this as a child/teenager. My mother loved it and my sisters loved and I adored it. The story is so vivid and the setting so detailed. I was totally fascinated by it and read it several times, then re-read it a few years ago as an adult and I still enjoyed it -- although it's always such a different experience re-visiting a much loved childhood book with the perspective of an adult.

I would like to read it again though, it holds a very special place in my heart. I wish it was available for
Margareth8537
Oct 18, 2013 Margareth8537 rated it really liked it
Not sure which edition I read, but it was a long time ago.
My Grandmother had a set of these and I read them when I stayed with her.
Did read as if she was telling her own experiences. Quite fascinating.
Arlene Eisenbise
Aug 31, 2015 Arlene Eisenbise rated it it was amazing
I loved this book by Joan Grant who wrote of her past lifetimes. This story covered a pair who would change the early Native American tribe they were part of to form their own tribe, one that brought men and women together. Even though this book was written in the 1940s it felt very much in the NOW when not only males/females are recognizing both aspects of themselves but when attention is being placed on ONENESS.
Rusty
Apr 08, 2016 Rusty rated it liked it
I enjoyed this story, as a story, far more so than Life as Carola, but don't feel that any of Grant's supposed past life recollections are authentic. More like projections of herself into historical contexts. For one thing, the female lead character, and she is always a female in every life, has the same wilful, somewhat histrionic, visionary and talkative personality as Grant herself displays in her autobiography. It becomes a little tedious after the first three books.
Steven
Apr 18, 2016 Steven rated it really liked it
A truly wonderful book of two people Piyana and Raki who will lead a new tribe of Indians as equals. They are the same age and grow up together and basically do everything together until they are told they must each spend 7 years training to be one of the opposite sex so they can both be Cheif of a new tribe. The book is full of power, Love, and wisdom. The Winged Pharoah is Joan Grants most famous story but I think this must come a very close 2nd.
Jeneen Stickney
Jeneen Stickney marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2016
Kelly Miess
Kelly Miess marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2016
U Khin
U Khin marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Adina
Adina marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2016
Nivedita Anzee
Nivedita Anzee marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2016
Teresa Dropkin
Teresa Dropkin is currently reading it
Mar 06, 2016
Emma
Emma added it
Jan 23, 2016
Marianne
Marianne marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2016
Kieran
Kieran rated it really liked it
Dec 14, 2015
Barbara
Barbara rated it liked it
Nov 09, 2015
Anita M.
Anita M. marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2015
Steven Chang
Steven Chang marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2015
Ciara
Ciara marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2015
Kendall Wilson
Kendall Wilson marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
Robin LoveStar
Robin LoveStar marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
Karen
Karen rated it it was amazing
Jun 15, 2015
Thenademon
Thenademon marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
Eli Norm
Eli Norm marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Mona Ringkvist
Mona Ringkvist rated it really liked it
Apr 07, 2015
Dana L Harrison
Dana L Harrison rated it liked it
Mar 23, 2015
Nancine Thompson
Nancine Thompson rated it it was amazing
Feb 14, 2015