Start by marking “Parcells: A Football Life” as Want to Read:
Parcells: A Football Life

Parcells: A Football Life

After his pivotal 2013 induction into the Pro Football Hall of Fame, iconoclastic and Super Bowl-winning coach Bill Parcells finally reveals his life story and 50 storied years of football. Widely acclaimed sports writer Nunyo Demasio touches on some of the biggest NFL franchises in history, including the New York Giants, New England Patriots, New York Jets, and Dallas ...more
Published October 28th 2014 by Crown Archetype (first published September 9th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Parcells, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Parcells

Albert
Nov 14, 2014 Albert rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sports
Have the utmost respect for Parcells. Listening to his former players it is clearly evident how much he has impacted their lives, both inside and outside of football. Also, every observer of this coach knows that every uttered word from his mouth is purposeful, many have remarked on his uncanny ability to find people's buttons and relate to each individual differently. Think how observant and insightful one has to be to be able to do that... his Parcells-isms are legendary and it was interesting ...more
Jeff
Dec 02, 2014 Jeff rated it it was amazing
Really great biography of Bill Parcells. Parcells is nominally the author, though it is clear that the co-author did the writing with significant collaboration from Parcells. The stories of his early life, unlike many other biographies, was interesting and well-written. Tracking his coaching life and his aphorisms as he became the Big Tuna were also interesting, and even the game recaps were appropriate. Parcells definitely reveals his opinion and thinking on his professional and personal life ...more
Steven Z.
Jan 14, 2015 Steven Z. rated it really liked it
Years ago when my son was rather young I would take him to Farleigh Dickinson University’s Madison, New Jersey campus to watch the New York Giants pre-season training camp. I told him that any words that he would hear that his mother might not approve of were to be forgotten and never repeated, at least not in her presence. As an avid Giants fan going back to the glory days of Charley Conerly, Frank Gifford, Sam Huff, and Andy Robustelli I took great pleasure in sharing my passion for “Big ...more
Pam
Nov 23, 2014 Pam rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio
This is really interesting if you're a football fan. Parcells had amazing success as a coach and developing successful teams. Tim and I listened to the audio version which is extremely long. The narration is just ok.
David Winn
Nov 25, 2014 David Winn rated it really liked it
Great read, really enjoyed this book, compelling introspective and insightful.
Roger
Nov 20, 2014 Roger rated it liked it
Still a dick.
Budd Bailey
Jul 15, 2015 Budd Bailey rated it really liked it
Bill Parcells is nothing if not prolific. He's written more books than most writers while still finding the time to put together a Hall of Fame career as a football coach.

The latest example of this is "Parcells," a sprawling autobiography of sorts that covers more than 500 pages. It's a football life that still has the ability to fascinate, despite a variety of odd twists and turns.

Parcells' time in football started with the usual bouncing around the country. He was a good enough player to be dr
Will Herman
Apr 28, 2015 Will Herman rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, sports
This was an enjoyable book, although Parcells seems to have written it (had it written) to justify his actions and let the world know who he is.Certainly nothing wrong with that, although it does come off defensive sometimes. I thought the section (and more) on Bull Belichick was fair, which I didn't entirely expect.

It is very clear that he built some very special relationships with certain people in his life Players first and foremost. Hos legacy as a teacher and a coach is cemented into footba
Ian Allan
Dec 17, 2015 Ian Allan rated it really liked it
I'm about halfway through. So far it's meeting expectations. It's very good. Nunyo Demasio used to write for the paper in my town, The Seattle Times, but he has the necessary skills to take on this larger task.

It's a long story -- 26 hours, I think, on audio books -- but it hasn't dragged at all.

Just a few nit-picky errors that I've found so far, but I point them out only because it's fun to try and find them along the way.

Pete Rozelle on one occasion is referred to as Peter Rozelle.

During descr
Gregg
Apr 20, 2015 Gregg rated it really liked it
Thanks to Olivia for the wonderful Christmas gift! He's an interesting guy. Actively controlled and thought about every aspect of his life--from career to financial planning to family. Incredible, single-minded focus on coaching at the expense of his family. He appreciated family--at one point made an active choice to quit coaching for his family--but over the long run his focus seemed to be almost exclusively on football. He micromanaged with the logic that he was the one who was going to get ...more
Ian Hardouin
Feb 07, 2015 Ian Hardouin rated it it was amazing
"You are what your record says you are."

This book is a real deal for football fans. And the "A Football Life" subtitle is perfect; like an episode of NFL Network's show transcribed into print and stretched over 500+ pages. All the important players in the coach's life, for better and worse, are covered and quoted. That said, fans of Bill Belichick will also appreciate this book, the Belichick-Parcells relationship is covered in detail from beginning to present day. Famous "Parcell-isms" quotes a
Timothy
Jul 28, 2016 Timothy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing biography, well written. The best part, to me, was to see this man's inflection point: There was a clear moment that Bill understood unequivocally that he had to win to keep his job, his career. The entire book could be divided into before and after that moment. Seeing how he changed his behavior accordingly was fascinating and instructive.

The latter half of his career was spellbinding because of his inability to resist the siren call of coaching, and the details of his complicated relat
 Charlie - A Reading Machine
A very nice account of The BIg Tuna! Early days are covered with plenty of clues given as to how and why he grew to become to man we know him as today. His every action is deliberate and the results are clear to see. His life philosophy is enviable and there are lessons for every person here that have nothing to do with football. A good read.

This was given to me by Blogging for Books in exchange for an honest review
Brian Lozynski
Jan 12, 2015 Brian Lozynski rated it it was ok
It's rare for me to put a book down before finishing it but this was one of those times. It really dragged for me and I found the writing style really disjointed. I'm all for books that don't necessary flow linearly but this thing was all over the place with flashbacks and flashforwards that it couldn't hold my attention.
Richard Lister
Jul 20, 2016 Richard Lister rated it liked it
This is a nice, readable book journeying through Bill Parcells's journey to football's pantheon. It has the staples of good biography, describing the motor that propels successful people.

The most intriguing parts of this book are treatment of the ego clashes between Parcells and Robert Kraft as well the messy departure of Bill Belichick from the Jets to take his New England Job.
Daniel  Dubay
Dec 22, 2015 Daniel Dubay rated it it was ok
This would've been a better book if it was trimmed by 150 pages. The reader doesn't need the life story of every bit player in Parcells life; at least limit it to a paragraph. Bit players combined with play by play recaps, that weren't even consistent, from numerous games was too much. This book could be so much better.
John Branney
Dec 03, 2014 John Branney rated it liked it
I was not a Parcells fan before reading this book and I am still not a Parcells fan. Don't get me wrong, the guy knows what he is doing when it comes to football, but his belligerent, arrogant, in the face style was not a good trait. The author wrote the book well and the writing was engaging. Maybe I would have liked the book better if i were a Dallas or New York Giants fan. One thumb up.
Ja
Feb 09, 2015 Ja rated it really liked it
Enjoyable. My start as a Pats fan began with Coach. I loved him and then hated him for failing to win us a Super Bowl by letting ego and the Jets distract him and then by his betrayal in abandoning us for the Jets. A trip down memory lane.
S A
Dec 15, 2014 S A rated it liked it
His life story is very interesting, but the book is not well written.
i found that it jumped all over the place, and very often did not flow.
i was glued to it because i was curious about the stories of his past - but at some points it seemed as though it was written by a high school kid.
Brian
Aug 23, 2015 Brian rated it it was amazing
Fantastic account of the football career of one of the central characters on the NFL stage in the last 35 years. Warts and all account of an interesting man and what makes it better is that it adds to the stories and adds more about the people we already know about.
Andrew
Jan 03, 2015 Andrew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great insight into a Hall of Fame coach

A great easy-to-read book on a Hall of Fame coach. If you love football, you'll love this book. If you don't love football, but want to know what makes a person who is at the top of his profession tick, you'll love this book.
Greg
Jul 20, 2016 Greg rated it really liked it
book about a Jersey who was smart enough to be Red Sox fan and so good at pressing buttons he could have worked at NASA.

didn't want to put it down after the first hundred pages.
Lee
Feb 11, 2015 Lee rated it liked it
Decently informative. Rather blandly written, and fact checking could have been better, I found at least one error that I noticed. Nothing egregious, but still.
Kevin Parsons
Dec 28, 2014 Kevin Parsons rated it really liked it
Great overview not only of Parcells' career but a history of the NFL during his time as a coach and administrator.
Kurt Zisa
Oct 29, 2015 Kurt Zisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great biography into the football legend. Let's you see him as a Coach as well as man in this great account of his trials and successes.
Davehbo
Jan 21, 2015 Davehbo rated it did not like it
Yeah, like I learned anything from this book. If I had this much time, I could read every article written at the time, then have a 3 hour interview with Parcells and get this book done.
Rob Morrison
Rob Morrison rated it really liked it
Dec 18, 2014
Jack
May 12, 2015 Jack rated it liked it
A very well done book that left me not liking it's subject.
Michael T. Mauriello
Michael T. Mauriello rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2016
Rayr
Rayr rated it it was amazing
Sep 07, 2015
  • You Can't Make This Up: Miracles, Memories, and the Perfect Marriage of Sports and Television
  • The Secret of Golf: The Story of Tom Watson and Jack Nicklaus
  • War Room
  • Who's Your Caddy?: Looping for the Great, Near Great, and Reprobates of Golf
  • More than a Game: The Glorious Present--and the Uncertain Future--of the NFL
  • Senior Year: A Father, A Son, and High School Baseball
  • That First Season: How Vince Lombardi Took the Worst Team in the NFL and Set It on the Path to Glory
  • Sports Illustrated Monday Morning Quarterback: A fully caffeinated guide to everything you need to know about the NFL
  • Roosevelt and Hopkins: An Intimate History
  • Big Data Baseball: Math, Miracles, and the End of a 20-Year Losing Streak
  • Billy Martin: Baseball's Flawed Genius
  • The Last Headbangers: NFL Football in the Rowdy, Reckless '70s: the Era that Created Modern Sports
  • De Niro: A Biography
  • The Collaboration: Hollywood's Pact with Hitler

“exclusive” 0 likes
“only to reminisce about his high school career, which included a failed stint at quarterback. Finally, Parcells said, “We’re going to come” 0 likes