Start by marking “Hearts and Flour” as Want to Read:
Hearts and Flour

Hearts and Flour

A raw food fanatic and a cupcake baker -- can two hearts rise above the flour?

To Micah Truveen, raw, vegan food is his religion. So when his devoted customers start showing up with white flour cupcakes, Micah could kill. To cap off a rotten day before Valentine’s Day, Micah comes home to find his boyfriend, Dharamaram, in bed with someone else. In frustration, he throws th
Published February 1st 2013 by Etopia Press (first published January 30th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Hearts and Flour, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hearts and Flour

Mandy*reads obsessively*
When I want a cute, feel-good, happy and sexy romp of a read, I go for one of Tara Lain's books.
Micah is a very very die hard vegan, he owns his own place and serves his loyal customer base his raw, organic foods.
Quentin is the Queen of cupcakes, well, he likes to dress up as a lady and calls himself Queen when he does, and he owns his own bakery and sells the best cupcakes ever- so good, that Micah's customers are going for the flour and sugar that at least to Micah is the root of all evil.
Mica
Lexxie (un)Conventional Bookviews
Hearts and Flour is a sweet and sexy story, with so many food-quotes I'm still trying to count them all :) 3.5 stars

This review was originally posted on (un)Conventional Bookviews

Review - (un)Conventional Bookviews

Micah and Quentin happen to meet each other at a un-Valentine party for single people... while Micah has always known he's gay, there is something about one of the girls at the party that really touches him, and h
Eli Easton
Mar 22, 2015 Eli Easton rated it it was amazing
Very fun contemporary novella set in Laguna Beach. Micah owns a raw food cafe and Quentin moves in next door selling cupcakes. Fortunately, Micah doesn't figure out who Quentin is until they've already gotten attached to one another. Once they do, there's some predictable angst, but it resolved quickly.

There some cross-dressing in this, which is fine, and the sparks certainly fly between the two MCs. I enjoyed all the ancillary characters. There's a whole lot of sex for a fairly short read, thou
Heller
Feb 04, 2013 Heller rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m, contemporary
A cute read with likeable characters and an interesting cross-dressing element. Micah owns a raw food vegan restaurant and Quentin a decadent cupcake bakery. That's almost the Montagues and Capulets right there. ;)

This is definitely fast and furious. Some hot sex mixed with diametrically opposed ways of life. Thankfully the men learn to bend a little to see the other's viewpoints but I'm happy to say that Micah stays true to his raw food vegan ways.
Mandapanda
Feb 07, 2013 Mandapanda rated it it was ok
Shelves: various-romance
2.5 stars. Extremely lightweight erotica about the owner of a raw foods shop falling in love with the owner of a cupcake shop. The cross-dressing and the opposites attract themes are appealing but not explored in any depth. There is nothing memorable about this short story. No substance and little plot.
Stephanie
Feb 02, 2013 Stephanie rated it really liked it
3.65 stars. This was an adorable, sweet read with a cross dressing twist. The blurb is pretty much the story. I appreciated the lack of converting from both MCs. Even though vegan food is Micah's religion, we found out why he became vegan and he became flexible enough to accept Quentin for who he was. I like that Quentin also didn't try to convert Micah and he was inspired to introduce raw vegan cupcakes in his bakery. There was quite a bit of hot sex in this novella. I really like Quentin's ...more
Bark's Book Nonsense
Jan 27, 2014 Bark's Book Nonsense rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, favorites
I’ve been reading way too many angst-filled romances with jerky heroes and too much boring sex, along with a few books with very wordy prose and it was beginning to exhaust me. I needed something uncomplicated and a little sweet to make me feel better about the book world and to avoid another reading slump. I’d been saving this one for the perfect moment because I’m a moody reader and I heard that it was a bit on the sweet side. I usually prefer darker books but every now and then I need a ...more
Macky
* 3.75* rounded up.

This is just the right type book to slip in between those emotional wringers! Quck Lighter weight read , sweet and easy on the angst but with some nice hot sexy interludes - this isn't going to tax your brain cells but it will leave you with a little bit of the warm and fuzzies. The blurb pretty much covers what you need to know plot wise so its pointless rehashing that. It's predictable but sometimes predictable is what you want and I've said before, if its good who cares!!

Mi
Lucy
Feb 01, 2013 Lucy rated it really liked it
In a word, I thought this story was adorable. Micah is a raw vegan food evangelist, making up for a childhood of poisoning (alcohol) in terms of his mother. He is rabid about it all and wants his customers to take it as seriously as he does. When he begins to realize they may be following some of his advice, they certainly aren’t following all of it (as evidenced by the giant cupcakes he keeps catching them eating), its demoralizing for him. Even worse, he goes home early and finds the cheating, ...more
Camille
Feb 25, 2013 Camille rated it it was ok
I confess the only reason I wanted to read this was because it was my first time coming across a fellow raw food vegan character, but this didn't work for me.

The drama seems manufactured and the dialogue and exposition weird are sickeningly honey sweet in places, not to mention very feminine. I get that Quentin is Southern but his speech didn't ring true to me. So DNF @ 66%.
DaisyGirl
Jun 14, 2013 DaisyGirl rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars

I liked this one. It was cute. The cross-dressing was a twist. I loved Quentin and the wonderful relationship he shared with his grandmother. I also loved that he baked awesome, sugary, cupcakes. (Yum! I adore cupcakes.) I also enjoyed Micah; I loved that he was a raw vegan fanatic. I didn't care for the way he responded when finding out that Quentin was the bakery shop owner. More groveling was needed there IMHO.

Bottom line: a sweet treat.
Natalie
Feb 02, 2013 Natalie rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. Sweet and easy read, with some cross dressing, a little misunderstanding, and lots of hot sex. I was in the mood for something light, and this was a perfect fit.
Kris
Feb 03, 2013 Kris rated it it was ok
A 2-3 star read. Could change depending on the mood swings.

Also, exactly how many BigMs were there in this anyways?
Brooklyn
Apr 27, 2016 Brooklyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet and fun. Micah was a bit of a prick, but I still liked him. Loved Mary Beth. Such a sweetie.
Bea
I have been reading romances about cross-dressing characters this weekend, so I found this one interesting from the blurb.

It was a fairly light hearted book about two competing restaurant owners, one a vegan and the other a bakery owner. Their opposites attract romance was cute with just a bit of angst to keep it interesting.

In the short book, the author did a good job of developing the characters and I really enjoyed Quentin.

The only thing I wish was that the book was longer.
Christy Duke
Apr 03, 2013 Christy Duke rated it really liked it
My only complaint about this book, and I'm a huge fan of Tara Lain's, is that it wasn't long enough to really flesh out the story.
I give it a very strong 3.5
Lena Grey
Feb 06, 2013 Lena Grey rated it it was amazing
It's good to have principles; our lives would be chaos without them. Having a routine we live by is important, but at the same time, we need to have an open mind and understand that things in our lives may change and things that were important in the past, may not be as monumental in the future. Micha Truveen, of Tara Lain's book, 'Hearts and Flour', is obsessed with eating healthy and staying fit. He religiously adheres to his principles, and expects his students to do so as well. There's no ...more
Jean Reads
Jun 25, 2013 Jean Reads rated it really liked it
4.5 if you buy it expecting a novella (which I knew ahead of time), because I thought the characters were unique. For a novella, it packs a lot of description and plot. Maybe a 4 for anyone buying it expecting something a bit longer or deeper.

RAW & SWEET light-hearted romance
In some ways this story is typical Tara Lain (out gay man meets closeted gay man, attraction, hot sex and then misunderstandings ensue, and supportive friends and family help them out). However, each book features uniq
Crystal
Mar 16, 2013 Crystal rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Hearts and Flour is the first book I have had the pleasure to read by Tara Lain. It most certainly won't be my last. Tara Lain has a nice flow of telling a story that keeps you turning pages. This is a really great story about two totally opposite guys. I really enjoyed reading about Micah & Quentin.

Micah Truveen thinks he has his life under control. He has a fabulous business of selling raw, vegan food in his restaurant that he loves. He also has what he thinks is the "perfect" boyfriend.
T. Smith
Feb 11, 2013 T. Smith rated it really liked it
Micah Truveen’s life is just about perfect. The openly gay, devoted vegan runs a successful raw food restaurant, teaches classes on how to prepare raw food and has the best boyfriend a guy could want. Or so he thinks. First he catches his supposed vegan customer’s eating cupcakes, then he walks in on his boyfriend with another guy. Happy Valentine’s Day!

Quentin Darby leads a double life. By day he takes care of his grandmother and together they make the cupcakes that have Micah seething; by nigh
Valentina Heart
Mar 04, 2013 Valentina Heart rated it really liked it
Shelves: glbt
This is a quirky and fun little story about two really different men who find a way to each other and not only discover the great qualities of the other man, but also get to know themselves better as well as change some of their beliefs.

Micah is all about raw vegan food. Rough childhood taught him to pay attention to what he puts inside himself and while he pushes it to the extreme, he’s not so much in control of the men he ends up with. His current boyfriend, with a really long and complicated
Suzan
Mar 10, 2013 Suzan rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Romance readers
Really loved this one, a standalone that breaks away from the Balls to the Walls crowd but still set in Laguna Beach. Micah and Quentin are such lovable characters that you really feel for and really want to see get their happy ending. They are just so good together, the chemistry between them is powerful. Micah does almost screw it up because of holding to pride and ideals he developed to deal with the hurt and trauma his deceased mother put him through, but thankfully he realises what an idiot ...more
Lelyana

One night of a 'raw' sex at the un-Valentine's day orgy party after a heartbreaking moment of his life , saw his boyfriend getting f***ed by a stranger on their bed, Micah and Queen a.k.a Quentin can't deny the attraction between them.

One stupid comment ruined all.
One stupid decision make it worse.
But love conquers all.
And one Gandma Mary Beth is a savior of their relationship.
Nice sweet story, between a cross dressing man and and a raw food crazed.

This one is cute, and the sex is so freakin' h
Phaney
Apr 11, 2013 Phaney rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, oh-yes
For some reason it took me a while to really get into the writing here. Not exactly sure why. I suppose I noticed some minor things that seemed less than great about it (I'm still in an exceptionally nitpicky mood), but to be honest? That faded by the time our guys actually got together.

Micah’s not the kind of character I instantly like. But by the end of the first chapter I felt sorry for him anyway. Of course later I despised him. Briefly. Quentin was lovely throughout, as were the well-meanin
Patti
Mar 24, 2013 Patti rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I enjoyed this because it didn't feel forced or absurd. I am a woman so I really don't know what men really think or feel so I can't speak for them. I can say that I read completely for enjoyment and this was pure pleasure. I understand that love comes in many forms and I think that it is wonderous and awesome no matter what form that is. The characters here are so irresistible I wanted to hug them and thank them for just being themselves and letting me go along for the ride.
~SexyBookWorm~
Mar 16, 2013 ~SexyBookWorm~ rated it it was amazing
LOVE LOVE LOVE! ! The mcs are to die for. Perfect story of opposites attract!
Bettina (a.k.a. Betty)
May 12, 2015 Bettina (a.k.a. Betty) rated it really liked it
3.75 Stars.
Emily
Feb 10, 2013 Emily rated it really liked it
Now, I love Tara's books, she writes about unique characters who you can't help falling in love with. That being said, even I was skeptical of the relationship in this book. A raw food vegan and a cupcake baker? Come on, that's like putting a cat and a mouse together and hoping it ends well. I though she may have bit off more than she could chew. But lo and behold, Tara not only did it, she did it spectacularly.

I absolutely loved this book, I read it all in one sitting, I couldn't put it down. W
books are love
Apr 30, 2014 books are love rated it really liked it
This was too cute for words. I did not like Dharamaram very bad dude. Snake in the grass. But yancy, and Neenee as side characters were awesome. Micah although a little up tight is so sweet and perfect for Quentin. Quentin although scared is what Micah needs to learn how to compromise in life and see things as they are and not as he wants them to be.

After Micah comes home to find Dharamaram in bed with someone else, he feels life is just sucky and he is what Dharamaram says a prig. Micah tries
Diane
Mar 03, 2013 Diane rated it really liked it
Micah is a raw food vegan who is very adamant in his beliefs, thinking he has the perfect partner in a yoga instructer - until he comes home to find him in bed with someone else, which leads to him accepting his friends invitation to an anti-Valentine party.

There he meets Queen, who he at first thinks is a woman since Queen is wearing a dress, and he's quite surprised to find himself attracted, then he's even more interested when he finds out Queen is not a woman at all.

Quentin wishes he could
  • Jackson's Law
  • From the Inside Out
  • Analyzing Emory
  • Your Biggest Fan: Gay New Adult Crossdressing Coming Out Romance (Self-Discovery Series Book 1)
  • Strip, Please
  • Gay as Mardi Gras
  • Eight Days
  • Brainy and the Beast
  • Loving Hector
  • Beggars and Choosers (Beggars and Choosers, #1)
  • No Getting Over You
  • Falling for Rain
  • Inspiration
  • Weekend Boyfriend
  • Trick of Time
  • If I Must
  • Sympathy
  • Smoky Glimpses
Tara Lain never met a beautiful boy she didn’t love – at least on paper. A writer of erotic romance, mostly ménage and male/male, Tara loves all her characters, but especially her handsome heroes. A lifelong writer of serious non-fiction, Tara had the first novel she ever wrote accepted for publication in 2011. She’s now on book 27 and counting. After an exotic life of travel all over the world ...more
More about Tara Lain...