Start by marking “Last Call (Jack Swyteck, #7)” as Want to Read:
Last Call (Jack Swyteck, #7)

Last Call (Jack Swyteck #7)

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  759 ratings  ·  64 reviews
Many years ago, Jack Swyteck saved Theo Knight's life.

Theo grew up on the streets of Miami's roughest neighborhood and lost his mother to a violent crime. Although his uncle Cy tried his best to raise him right, by the time he was a teenager, Theo was on death row for a murder he didn't commit. Jack was the lawyer who proved him innocent.

Now a successful bar owner, Theo ha
Published December 18th 2007 by Harper

To ask other readers questions about Last Call, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Last Call

Christy
This installment of Grippando’s Jack Swytek series focuses on Jack’s best friend Theo Knight, a man Jack saved from death row. Theo owns his own bar and is on the verge of expanding his business when Isaac Reems, former gang member and an escaped convict, shows up asking for help. Theo isn’t so inclined but Reems’s bargaining chip is that he can reveal the identity of the person who killed Theo’s mother 20 years earlier. The FBI, hot on the trail of Reems, suspects Theo is helping the convict, a ...more
Allana
The ghosts of your past will never stop until they finally get the chance to haunt you.

(I haven't actually read a lot of books of the same genre as this, so don't trust me on this one. He-he.)

THRILLING.

This book is incredible, I'm telling you... in my opinion, of course. I liked how the story was constructed. The words used were pretty appropriate for the "vibe" of the book. I understood the stories behind each character as I flipped through the pages. Even though this is the seventh book of the
Patricia

Theo Knight is a successful bar owner. Theo has come a long way from the ghetto and the gangs and he has done this by way of death row. Theo’s best friend is Jack Swyteck. Jack’s a lawyer and Theo owes his life to him. Jack proved Theo innocent of a murder he didn’t commit.

In Last Call, Theo’s life is taking a downhill tumble into the past and a place where Jack may not be able to pull him out. When Isaac Reems shows up in the back room of Theo’s bar, Theo is blasted back to the year when he wa
Davisburns
Library audiobook:
Summary: Many years ago, Jack Swyteck saved Theo Knight's life.

Now a successful bar owner, Theo has turned things around. But he needs Jack's help again, this time more than ever.

An escaped convi
Annie
Jan 06, 2008 Annie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: thriller lovers
I have been following the lives of his characters, Jack and Theo from the beginning of the series. Many years ago, Jack Swyteck saved Theo Knight's life.

Now a successful bar owner, Theo has turned things around. Bu
Marsha
I never know what I'm getting when I pick up a Grippando book. He has so many characters and settings, I'm almost always pleasantly surprised.

Last Call is an engrossing story about an ex-convict, ex-wanna be(maybe)gang member who is exonerated and released almost at the last minute after being sentenced to death. Years later he is a struggling bar owner trying his best to walk the straight and narrow. An unwelcome reminder in the form of an escaped convict, an acquaintance from his youth, shows
Diana Donnelly
I had read a couple other of his books that I enjoyed and decided to try this one. It had plenty of action with the twists and turns that I so enjoy. He apparently has other books out there with the same characters. Once I get acquainted with characters I enjoy reading about them again. These characters are especially interesting as one is a lawyer and the other was saved from death row. You wouldn't think these two would have much in common, but read the book, they did have.
Holly Morey
I love the dynamics of friends Jack Swyteck and Theo. This story begins when Theo was younger and headed for trouble. His past comes back to haunt him when he is forced to become involved with an old friend, who escapes from prison. The story is fast paced and brings Jack's ex-girlfriend into the picture. I love the action and inter-action of the characters.
Lisa Currier
Not as fast paced as the other Swyteck novels, but still a good read. Theo is the focus of this story, as it deals with his mom & the past. Showing that the past can come back to hurt you.
Tomi
Started out slow but picked up fast and I had a hard time putting it down! Grippando did a good job of weaving together several plot lines.
Mark
A continuation of the relationship between Miami lawyer Jack Swyteck former street thug Theo Knight...Theo was on death row for a murder he didn't commit and Jack was the lawyer who proved him innocent...they've become fast friends since and in this undertaking, they piece together a twenty-year-old conspiracy of greed and corruption that leads to the very top of Miami's elite...Theo also has the opportunity to seek the revenge that has fueled him since the day he found his mother dead in the st ...more
Linda Nonalaya
This is the first book I read from this author. I liked it. I would read more of his books.
Cindy Meilink
I liked the characters, I was intrigued with the premise of the book, and I appreciated the fact that the answer to all of the questions raised throughout the story weren't obvious. My criticism is that I could put the book down, walk away, and pick it up and continue a few days later. A book categorized as "suspense" should keep you reading and make you unable to put that book down; the words should act like a magnet making it impossible for you to move on until you finish reading the last word ...more
Suvi
Although this is not generally my genre of books, Mr. Grippando, kept my interest with the fast paced story. The references to Miami places was delightful and so much more meaningful than had references to a strange place. I listened to it and have to say that the actor reading the book was very good also. I fell in love with the whole Jack Swyteck crew and probably will read more in the future. We had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Grippando as he did an author talk and all the other listeners agr ...more
Sharon
A couple disclaimers: I did not know this book was #7 in a series when I read it, and I read this about five years ago and remember absolutely nothing about it so this review is basically the notes I wrote at that time. I do know the book was in know way memorable to me.

A gangster from Theo’s old neighborhood breaks out of prison, and enlists Theo’s help. Because of this, Theo gets caught up in a cover-up which leads to attempts on his life. Although the plot was OK, I was not so taken by this b
Ginny
My first book by this author and I am definitely coming back, there seems to be a book before this one, because at least 3 of the characters seem to have a back story. There was some violence that was over the top for me, so no 5 stars, but given the setting (street gangs) that I have no knowledge of, maybe the violence is accurate, hopefully not. I like the relationships between Jack the white lawyer, Theo, a black child of the ghetto and former death row inmate, Andie the FBI agent and Cy, The ...more
Sharon
My husband and I listened to this audio book on a trip. We both enjoy suspense/thriller/crime novels. This one borders on a 4 for me, but we agreed it's a 3. Well told, though I predicted (silently) early on one of the twists in the story. Engaging book that I think would be just as good read as read-to-you. Better than average for this type of book. There are enough characters for the reader to both cheer and boo for.
Denise
Theo Knight, an ex-con, is running a bar in Miami, and has turned his life around. Trouble starts anew over the murder of his mother, even though she was killed 20 years ago. Jack Swyteck is Theo's lawyer and his best friend. Together they scramble to stay alive and solve the mystery of what happened in the past and why it is now a danger to Theo and his Uncle Cy. The book is fast paced and full of tension.
Colette
Theo is given a chance to find out who killed his mother but it comes at a high cost; his life is threatened as is the life of his elderly Uncle Cy and he is suspected of helping a former gang member escape jail and then of his murder. He and jack work through it and piece together the conspiracy of the 20 year old murder. A little slow moving through the first chapters but still a very good storyline.
Mary Beth
This is the story of Theo, a young man who was saved from death row by his lawyer, Jack Swyteck. They immediately became best friends. Years have passed and Theo still does not know who killed his mother, a street-walker who died when he was a teenager. The story takes place as Theo is opening a new jazz bar in Miami when suddenly he finds himself being pulled into the world of criminals from his past.
Keir Thomas
An average thriller. Decent but well paced story. Wooden characters that you just really didn't care for. A smattering of lame jokes. A romantic connection that lacked any subtlety, just inane drivel. I had a choice of three English books on the hostel bookshelf, and this was the best, which isn't much of an endorsement. I still entertained me a long journey back home, so I guess it served its purpose,
Patricia Baker
loved this book. Theo is in need for lawyer help again. once convicted of a crime that landed him in jail, now needs to solve the mystery of his mother's murder which happened many years before the book starts. Also the reader is re-introduced to the FBI investigator who is an old love interest to the Jack, lawyer on eternal call. great book to add to your collection to take to the beach..each read
Lance
it was fair. . great reviews but a little elementary. .. won't jump to more of his books soon
Arlene
One of Theo's old buddies from the "hood" shows up on his doorstep after 20 years. Isaac has escaped from jail and Theo is asked to help. Isaac claims that he knows who killed Theo's mother years ago. Then Isaac is killed. Theo is implicated in the shooting and asks for help from his best friend and lawyer, Jack, who had gotten him off of death row for a killing he didn't do.
Ed Schmidt
Theo Knight is contacted by a former associate who just escaped from prison. He tells Theo that if Theo helps him, he will tell Theo who killed his mother. The escapee is killed before he can tell Theo anything. With the help of his friend, Jack Swyteck, and FBI Agent Andie Henning, Theo sets out on a dangerous trek to find out who murdered his mother.
Cecelia/Ceil
Another Jack Zwyteck book. Set in Miami. Jack is a lawyer who becomes entangled in a mess with his best friend Theo, who he saved from death row previously. This also goes into Theo's life and the death of his Mother who was an addict and a hooker.

I always really like James Grippando's books. This one is good, too, with some intense scenes.
Meg G
This book was cleverly written, I couldn't put it down. This is the first book I had read in the series, but although it was "several down the line" I didn't feel lost. The author made you care about the characters in a most unlikely friendship. The setting was all too real as it reflects the reality of current gang culture in Florida.
Su
I just could not like this mystery. I didn't care what happened to either the good guys or the bad guys because the characters weren't fleshed out very well. I noticed that overall the book got a much higher rating than I gave it, but still I can't recommend it unless you are stuck on an island!
Jason Lowe
This is a great continuation of the Jack Swyteck series. Grippando's chapters are concise and loaded with suspense without all the pointless filler. This is a good read for any who-done-it fan and is presented in an effortless way-kind of like the Hardy Boys only cooler!!
Scott Bagley
Maybe more like 2.5 stars. The reason I like the mystery/thriller genre is that I'm a sucker for the "Whoa, I didn't see that coming" moment. Almost always I don't see it coming, but in this one, I did. It was pretty clear to me, too. Not Grippando's best effort.
  • Shadows (Craig Burch, #2)
  • The Widow's Revenge
  • The Jaguar (Charlie Hood, #5)
  • Magic City (Thorn, #9)
  • The Last Best Hope
  • The Lost Bird (Wind River Reservation, #5)
  • The First Law (Dismas Hardy #9)
  • Black Widow (Doc Ford, #15)
  • Killer Riff (Molly Forrester Mystery, #4)
  • Judas Horse (An FBI Special Agent Ana Grey Mystery #3)
  • If Looks Could Kill
  • Hush My Mouth
  • In Sheep's Clothing (Torie O'Shea, #7)
  • Double Tap (Paul Madriani, #8)
  • Death Dines Out (Hemlock Falls Mysteries, #5)
  • The PMS Outlaws (Elizabeth MacPherson, #9)
  • Darkness Falls (Mark Beamon, #5)
  • A Grave Mistake
The first thing you should know about bestselling author James Grippando is that he is no longer clueless—so says his wife, Tiffany, after “A James Grippando Novel” was a clue for #38 Across in the New York Times crossword puzzle. James is the New York Times bestselling author of 22 novels of suspense, including eleven in the popular series featuring Miami criminal defense attorney Jack Swyteck. ...more
More about James Grippando...
When Darkness Falls (Jack Swyteck, #6) The Pardon (Jack Swyteck, #1) Money To Burn Lying With Strangers Got The Look (Jack Swyteck, #5)