Start by marking “Reggie-12” as Want to Read:
Reggie-12

Reggie-12

Hang out with a young robot hero in his fortress of not-so-solitary solitude

What if Osamu Tezuka's beloved hero Astro Boy was a young robot with endless enthusiasm who lived with a bumbling sad-sack robot friend, a self-centered wise-cracking cat, and a well-meaning but forgetful inventor? Why, then he'd be Reggie-12! Reggie-12 is classic Japanese adventure manga cartoonin
Published August 27th 2013 by Drawn and Quarterly

To ask other readers questions about Reggie-12, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reggie-12

Matt
Jul 27, 2013 Matt rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Even though I'm not a huge Brian Ralph fan, I picked up an advance copy of this at SDCC, and it instantly became my favorite work by him. An absolutely charming and hilarious send up of Tezuka's Astro Boy, I think I liked it even more cause I had just seen "Pacific Rim".
P.
Mar 21, 2013 P. rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics, superhero
I like Brian Ralph's style, but the humor was a little thin for me, as in, I can see it delighting someone else but it didn't strike me.
Matt Graupman
Feb 13, 2015 Matt Graupman rated it really liked it
Combining the look of manga robot stories like Astro-Boy with the slap-stick wackiness of "Scud The Disposable Assassin" and the irreverent humor of James Kochalka, Brian Ralph's inventive and gleefully odd "Reggie 12" is the kind of slightly naughty comic that's perfect for the reader moving beyond all ages fare. It's fun and silly with just enough profane edginess to make my older son (9) giggle like he's getting away with something. Ralph, the creator of the first-person zombie epic "Daybreak ...more
Linden
May 08, 2016 Linden rated it liked it
Recommended to Linden by: A chance display at my local library

This graphic novel is a collection of comic strips about the behind-the-scenes life of a cat robot who is also an aspiring superhero. Reggie-12 is an appealing figure whose inventor, Professor Tinkerton, must have used his own cat, Casper, as inspiration for Reggie-12 as well as a quirky companion for him.

Young Reggie-12 rescues his city from the likes of Lawndark of the Woods (made of maple syrup), or Space God Jemiah. And like so many of the early DC and Marvel comic book heroes, he lands the
Smoothw
Sep 21, 2013 Smoothw rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Brian Ralph is a really slick, inventive cartoonist, and this is a pleasant compilation of one page gag strips he did for the ultra cool (in my mind) magazine giant robot. I only give it three stars because I found a lot of the humor more cute than laugh out loud funny, and a lot of the strips are kind of repetitive. In its favor the book is absolutely gorgeous, Ralph's panel layouts are often inventive,he draws some kickass robots and monsters, and it's nice to read a comic that's not trying to ...more
Derek Parker
Jan 21, 2014 Derek Parker rated it really liked it
This is a hilarious collection of Astro Boy-inspired comics. These short pieces originally appeared in the magazine Giant Robot, and together they are a fun introduction to Ralph's art. I was familiar with both Cave-In and Daybreak, and liked those well enough. Maybe it's because of the humor, but Reggie-12 seems to have more personality than the earlier works.
Carol
I love the cover and the illustrations inside are good. Some of the stories were funny, others were just plain dumb. I think it is appropriate for older kids, as in teens and adults. Some of the humor is not for young children, though they will be drawn to the large format and the brightly-colored Astro Boy influenced illustrations.
Pangolin
Aug 09, 2014 Pangolin rated it liked it
This book was a series of comics based about a robot who fights other robots that are invading his city. If you like comics about robots this may be book for you. The humour is clever and the Reggie-12 fights as a teen-like smart aleck. I liked Caspar the sarcastic cat. This book will appeal to tweens and those who appreciate comics. Read August 2014.
Damon
Oct 08, 2013 Damon rated it really liked it
The stories are cute and silly, and I love Brian Ralph, but the main point is... my GOD does this book look amazing! I can't really do it justice - you just have to see it. Thin oversized hardback, black and white interiors with light blue, thermographic printing on the cover... Just so so nice.
Hamster
The illustrations were okay, (I would've preferred full color) but it was the humor that kept me reading. A little irreverent at times, but I laughed out loud on several occasions. If you like sarcasm and battling robots, you should run to your library IMMEDIATELY.
Adan
Aug 03, 2015 Adan rated it liked it
A hilarious send-up of every boy robot you've ever encountered (including Astro Boy and Mega Man), Reggie-12 includes a hilarious supporting cast in Donald-14, Casper the Cat, and their creator Professor Tinkerton. Plus, it is very important to note that Brian Ralph draws some awesome robot insides.
Genevieve
Dec 07, 2013 Genevieve rated it really liked it
Shelves: bigger-kids, grafix
1-2 page comics, rather than an ongoing story. Satisfying to read in one session, I like his style (though the color got a big hard on my old lady eyes after awhile). Gorgeous cover, too! Good for 3rd-6th.
First Second Books
An adorable kitten, + the best use of spot gloss I’ve seen on a cover!

Plus Brian Ralph tells great stories.
Georgina
Aug 23, 2013 Georgina rated it really liked it
It's about robot who saves his city a lot. in one of the stories they make a different robot and reggie-12 gets jealous. its funny. that's all i have to say.
Dustyn Brown
Dustyn Brown rated it it was amazing
Mar 28, 2016
Jennifer rated it it was ok
Jul 31, 2014
Tori
Tori rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2016
Jennifer rated it liked it
Jan 27, 2015
Robert Boyd
Robert Boyd rated it really liked it
Nov 10, 2013
Andrew
Andrew rated it it was ok
Jun 01, 2015
Wes Young
Wes Young rated it liked it
May 04, 2014
Debbie
Debbie rated it really liked it
Oct 17, 2013
Justin Quinlan
Justin Quinlan rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2014
Karen
Karen rated it it was amazing
Mar 09, 2014
Mel
Mel rated it liked it
Sep 30, 2013
Peter
Peter rated it really liked it
Sep 27, 2013
Alysha
Alysha rated it it was amazing
Nov 02, 2013
Loren
Loren rated it liked it
Jul 10, 2014
Kevin Xu
Kevin Xu rated it liked it
Feb 26, 2015
Laney
Laney rated it liked it
May 16, 2016
Brian Ralph (born 1973) is a U.S. alternative cartoonist. His illustrations have appeared in Wired and the New York Post. His debut graphic novel Cave-In was nominated for three Harvey Awards, one Eisner Award, and listed as one of the Comics Journal's "five best comics of 1999". His second graphic novel Climbing Out was awarded a Xeric Grant in 2001.
More about Brian Ralph...